Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member Three Rings rnagy86's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just to give an idea how close it is:

Tried to trim the starter a bit so that i can clock the turbo a bit but its not enough.

So.... i am pulling the engine again

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Okay engine is back in again and it seems that all is good now. Did 30 km today. Tomorrow I am gonna do some more checks
    and then it's mapping time. Got new wheels in the meantime, I fall in love with them the first time I saw the set for sale, so I could
    not skip on them. I will also try to upload as many graphs as possible for you guys to see how these turbos perform.

Veteran Member Four Rings NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Very nice... looking forward to the results!

What fuel will you be mapping on... Hopefully Ethanol.
    E36 DYNO TUNING WIRING PARTS

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Very nice... looking forward to the results!

What fuel will you be mapping on... Hopefully Ethanol.
    No e85 here anymore :( So first 100ron then race gas and i will get WMI eventually when money permits.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Rnagy I saw over on s2 forum you have a badass s2 5 pot as well. Nice lineup of cars you have. I have one request though if you could post some logs from this build with the .52 tial hot sides as I'm very eager to see your results, cheers.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

So I've started to work on boost control and did some runs with different fixed wastegate duty cycles. Unfortunately it seems that I am going to peg
    the RS4 MAF at 1.7bar of boost so tomorrow I am going to install my 95mm housing and dial that in first before I continue raising the boost.

Here is a chart of 0, 30, 40, 50 percent fixed duty cycles, with 0.9bar springs. 10 and 20 is kind of irrelevant as the change between them and 0 is negligible.
    Obviously boost comes on later due to the fixed duty so this is only for the inpatient :)

Senior Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Awesome stuff! Glad you got it up and running, your car is going to be a beast.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 308K - 2.8sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

Veteran Member Four Rings jibberjive's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01.5' S4, 04' A4 USP, 04' CRF450r

Quote Originally Posted by rnagy86 View Post

What pressure was ambient when these logs were taken? ~1bar?
    ** GT2860R-7 S4 Build Log--

FOR SALE:
    --JHM DELRIN SHIFTER STABILIZER BUSHING (LATE STYLE)--

LOOKING FOR:
    --Early Style 2.7t Block "AE"
    --Your Broken/Sheared OEM Axles--

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by jibberjive View Post
    What pressure was ambient when these logs were taken? ~1bar?
    Around 980mbar. I am at sea level.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I've got the 95mm MAF installed and did two other runs with 55 and 60 percent fixed duty cycles.
    This is still running baby timing 8-12* up to redline first I would like to see how much boost it can
    handle on pump gas (100 RON), that's around 93-95 US octane I think. I think I should really
    pull the trigger on the Aquamist kit now.

Unfortunately I am going to be away for a week so don't expect any updates until then :(

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Loving this build! Thos oz racing rims suit the car perfectly. Im looking for something very similar!

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

BTW jibberjive, what springs are you running on your setup? I think the 0.9bar ones are not going to be enough for much more boost.

Veteran Member Four Rings jibberjive's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01.5' S4, 04' A4 USP, 04' CRF450r

It's been so long, I don't remember exactly, but I think I am also around .9 bar spring pressure. I'm not high boost though, so, similarly to you, I am going to be putting some stiffer springs in when I go above where I am now.
    ** GT2860R-7 S4 Build Log--

FOR SALE:
    --JHM DELRIN SHIFTER STABILIZER BUSHING (LATE STYLE)--

LOOKING FOR:
    --Early Style 2.7t Block "AE"
    --Your Broken/Sheared OEM Axles--

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Ah okay, when I am back I will put 1.2bar springs because I think the backpressure is just too much for the 0.9 bar ones, which delays spool and caps top-end boost.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

My obligations were postponed to another time so I had some free time to work on the car and I found a huge boost leak that got fixed and worked
    on some really basic PID control to see what's up. The weather is really warm now, 30C outside so IATs were 40C+ and I think this is the end with
    pump gas. Can't get more than 12 degrees of timing up top, so it's time to get that bloody WMI, but Aquamist is out of stock at the moment so I will
    have to wait. They said it should be back this week.

I might still need stiffer springs as I am not sure if they are not blown open too soon. I must find a way to check that out while the car is actually
    making boost. Maybe I will fabricate a small pushrod sensor that i can put into the top port and see when the valve moves. A wireless dial gauge
    is probably too expensive :)

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I've finally received my aquamist kit, which i will be installing shortly. 2x1.2mm noozles.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Looks good so far. It would be cool to see some E85 or race gas numbers once you have your tune more dialed in.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Problem with E85 is that the nearest place I can get it now is 50km away, and then I would need bigger fuel lines
    and race gas is like $3 a liter, so that's a total waste of money. Better wait till the WMI install and turn timing and boost
    up even more :)

I am fairly happy with what I have now on pump gas. Hitting 2.4X FATS in warm summer weather.
    Spool is also acceptable. 2bar at 4300 rpm in 3rd gear and 4200 in 4th gear. Dotted lines are 4th gear.
    Regular driving is also nice, it does not feel laggy at all, so I am glad I've taken these turbos.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

She's quick! 2 bar by 4200 is pretty good imo. Did you upgrade your valve springs to rev it out a little bit?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by landfill View Post
    She's quick! 2 bar by 4200 is pretty good imo. Did you upgrade your valve springs to rev it out a little bit?
    I don't think that will be necessary, looking at the compressor map tells me that there is not much left in them after 7k rpm.
    These are not that big turbos after all. At redline I am at about 3 PR and at 35lbs/min on each turbo. I think I can go up to 40lbs/min
    which will be around 600g/s on the MAF and that will yield around 750 bhp with WMI. But these are just numbers, dyno will show.

AZ Member #

Problem with E85 is that the nearest place I can get it now is 50km away, and then I would need bigger fuel lines
    and race gas is like $3 a liter, so that's a total waste of money. Better wait till the WMI install and turn timing and boost
    up even more :)

I am fairly happy with what I have now on pump gas. Hitting 2.4X FATS in warm summer weather.
    Spool is also acceptable. 2bar at 4300 rpm in 3rd gear and 4200 in 4th gear. Dotted lines are 4th gear.
    Regular driving is also nice, it does not feel laggy at all, so I am glad I've taken these turbos.

Looks good... any chance to hold 2.1-2.2 to redline?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Looks good... any chance to hold 2.1-2.2 to redline?
    That's the plan, but not before the WMI gets installed as I am already getting -2KW wkrm near redline.
    I am at around 65% WGDC now at redline so that should be no problem for the 0.9bar springs. Plan is
    to hit 2.4-2.5 and taper down to 2.2-2.1 on WMI with higher timing and keep the current tune for pump gas.

AZ Member #

That's the plan, but not before the WMI gets installed as I am already getting -2KW wkrm near redline.
    I am at around 65% WGDC now at redline so that should be no problem for the 0.9bar springs. Plan is
    to hit 2.4-2.5 and taper down to 2.2-2.1 on WMI with higher timing and keep the current tune for pump gas.
    Nice!

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Nice!

Oh btw, I am probably going to Toronto in August, so I might drop by your shop to have some booze ;)

AZ Member #

Oh btw, I am probably going to Toronto in August, so I might drop by your shop to have some booze ;)
    sounds good.. shoot me a message on gtalk or whatever :)

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

So I installed the Aquamist and during tuning, my FX850 gave up today. So i have to pull the engine
    again :)
    One of the clutch disc must have disintegrated, but can't tell until I pull it.

Then dyno time.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

You're not the only one with an FX850 failure, are you going to do the same setup or switch to something else?
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 308K - 2.8sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Well i have to see what happened. I don't feel like blowing another 2k EUR on a new clutch.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I understand, the other twin disc option is Tilton but they had a center spline issue recently as well. Not familiar if there are other clutch options besides those two that handle the power level you're at for the B5.

Veteran Member Four Rings jaychen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Sachs RCS200. Great clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2000 Achat S4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
    You're not the only one with an FX850 failure, are you going to do the same setup or switch to something else?
    first ive heard of this? what fails?

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So I installed the Aquamist and during tuning, my FX850 gave up today. So i have to pull the engine
    again :)
    One of the clutch disc must have disintegrated, but can't tell until I pull it.

Then dyno time.

Why not good old 707 and 4 puck unsprung. It will hold more than well for your powe level. Just keep TOB oem RS as aftermarket plastic one fails.
    Also, what is your est power level?

Veteran Member Four Rings jaychen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Mocke View Post
    Why not good old 707 and 4 puck unsprung. It will hold more than well for your powe level. Just keep TOB oem RS as aftermarket plastic one fails.
    Also, what is your est power level?
    Agreed. 707 and a 4 puck is a tried and true combo, good for 1000nm+.
    2000 Achat S4

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

A 707 has less clamping force than a b7 rs4 pressure plate ... like 800kg less, measured with proper equipment,
    and even a b7 rs4 plate does not like launching, so I seriously doubt that a 707 will hold anything near
    1000nm+, more like 700, on a 1.8 tonn quattro car. Even the RCS 200 is not officially rated over 1000Nm with
    dual 4 puck discs.

Anyway my sprung disk's hub is completely fucked, the rivets have moved a bit and the springs are wiggling
    like crazy, so tomorrow I am taking it to the clutch shop to get it fixed up or replaced.

I don't have any power estimates, I haven't dyno'd the car yet and I am not throwing around that were numbers pulled out
    of my ass.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by narth327 View Post
    first ive heard of this? what fails?
    Besides having a short life span even for a race clutch (in my opinion), I've seen that clutch discs have fused together and rivets backed out. Granted whatever is on the forums is a small slice of the total number of people running any given setup so I'm sure there are many that have had no issues.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The clutch that fail
    Is it CM fx850 twin disc ?
    Also what set up u using street or race ?

Registered Member Four Rings aysix's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Spool looks almost idential to a gt2871 build. What made you got with the little boys instead of the 71's?

Edit: NVM, the logs i can find for a gt2871 eliminator setup spool about 500 rpm later
    i leik rabbits

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

A 707 has less clamping force than a b7 rs4 pressure plate ... like 800kg less, measured with proper equipment,
    and even a b7 rs4 plate does not like launching, so I seriously doubt that a 707 will hold anything near
    1000nm+, more like 700, on a 1.8 tonn quattro car. Even the RCS 200 is not officially rated over 1000Nm with
    dual 4 puck discs.

Anyway my sprung disk's hub is completely fucked, the rivets have moved a bit and the springs are wiggling
    like crazy, so tomorrow I am taking it to the clutch shop to get it fixed up or replaced.

I don't have any power estimates, I haven't dyno'd the car yet and I am not throwing around that were numbers pulled out
    of my ass.

707 is n old clutch used in high powered S2.
    Guys was running up too 1000hp on them. I agree, launching will kill any clutch. But still 707 will stand nicely for your power level.
    I don't know anything about pulling stuff OFTA but, as comparasion,
    We got several cars AWS on more power running nicely including my own and i pushed 1.84 fats on RS tranny and 2.1 - 2.2 on S4 tranny on E80.
    I think you would be just fine with 707. It is also really DD friendly. Ofc, choice is yours.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

1000hp != 1000nm

AZ Member #

RCS200 twin organic is rated for 1122 Nm and is under $1300 euro... that seems very reasonable to me.