Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Slim0531's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Windshield needed to be replaced by Safelite.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys, I'm about to have my windshield replaced on my 2014 A4 because of a crack on the driver upper corner. My insurance will take care of everything and I insisted of using OEM windshield. I know that they will provide a new gasket according to invoice. Chances are they will reuse some of the stuff which are already there. For others who did this before, is there anything I need to purchase like clips for example? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings Rocs's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 USP
    Items for Sale

If insurance is covering it, cant you see if you canget it done at the Dealership?

I used safelite on my other vehicle (Jeep that I don't care nearly as much about) and they did a horrible job. I would not recommend them. I hear air leaks in it all the time when moving.
    2012 A4 6mt
    -Prestige
    -S Line
    -Black Optic
    -B&O

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

My buddy had non-OEM glass installed on his A4 after he developed a crack. That glass had distortion at certain angles, it pitted more than normal, and the rain sensor wasn't performing normally. You should try to request OEM glass.

Senior Member Four Rings lettuce's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I was in this situation when I bought my car, glass was pitted beyond belief and insurance wouldn't cover OEM glass. I ended up paying the difference myself with Safelite to have them use the good stuff. It was maybe $120. Couple years later and it's still in pristine condition, well worth the extra couple bucks.

FYI dealerships generally don't install glass themselves, they'll contract it out to local companies like Safelite or Ocean Glass. Although you will get the dealership warranty and "service" going through them. And you'll pay for it too.
    B8 A4 - Eurodyne-tuned F23L - 12.6 @ 107 on 93

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
    I was in this situation when I bought my car, glass was pitted beyond belief and insurance wouldn't cover OEM glass. I ended up paying the difference myself with Safelite to have them use the good stuff. It was maybe $120. Couple years later and it's still in pristine condition, well worth the extra couple bucks.

FYI dealerships generally don't install glass themselves, they'll contract it out to local companies like Safelite or Ocean Glass. Although you will get the dealership warranty and "service" going through them. And you'll pay for it too.
    This is exactly what I'm going through right now. My dealer in Wallingford CT told me that they don't do glass replacement themselves but send their clients to safelite. Good to know someone here have positive experience. Did you have to replace anything else other than the windshield itself?

Senior Member Four Rings lettuce's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Slim0531 View Post
    This is exactly what I'm going through right now. My dealer in Wallingford CT told me that they don't do glass replacement themselves but send their clients to safelite. Good to know someone here have positive experience. Did you have to replace anything else other than the windshield itself?

You don't have to buy anything, it's all taken care of by Safelite. If they need anything, they'll have it.
    B8 A4 - Eurodyne-tuned F23L - 12.6 @ 107 on 93

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Safelite pros vs cons has been beaten to death on these forums.
    Ive had Safelite replace 2 windscreens for me (on 2 diff cars). No problems. Nothing to report. Smooth sailing. Non OEM glass.

Established Member Three Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Classy View Post
    Safelite pros vs cons has been beaten to death on these forums.
    Ive had Safelite replace 2 windscreens for me (on 2 diff cars). No problems. Nothing to report. Smooth sailing. Non OEM glass.
    I can only imagine, glass is glass, OEM is not going to pit anymore or less then what safelite uses, which is PGW btw. Typically PGW solargreen unless you request something different or the windshield requires something special.

Veteran Member Four Rings Turbavanttro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not all glass is equal. I had Safelite replace my windshield on my B6. You could see the glass was wavy when you looked at it from the side, not to mention it was not as thick. I ended up replacing it with OEM glass out of my own pocket.
    2004 B6 Avant l Moro Blue Pearl l Sportec l EFR TS-7064 l United Motorsport Tuned l 460 awhp, 93 octane
    2014 P+ Allroad l Glacier White l Airlift 3H l BBS l Eurocode l OEM+ Goodness l United Motorsport Tuned l
    So many Audis, so little time....

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Turbavanttro View Post
    Not all glass is equal. I had Safelite replace my windshield on my B6. You could see the glass was wavy when you looked at it from the side, not to mention it was not as thick. I ended up replacing it with OEM glass out of my own pocket.
    all glass is equal, just some glass is made incorrectly. lol

AZ Member #

2004 B6 Avant l Moro Blue Pearl l Sportec l EFR TS-7064 l United Motorsport Tuned l 460 awhp, 93 octane
    2014 P+ Allroad l Glacier White l Airlift 3H l BBS l Eurocode l OEM+ Goodness l United Motorsport Tuned l

AZ Member #

oh right, because OEM glass can't be manufactured wrong lol

AZ Member #

I did not say that. But since you brought it up, are you aware of anyone who had OEM glass installed and found it to be defective? Isn't the quality of the glass what the OP and this thread is concerned about?

AZ Member #

I did not say that. But since you brought it up, are you aware of anyone who had OEM glass installed and found it to be defective? Isn't the quality of the glass what the OP and this thread is concerned about?
    You had safelite replace the glass on your B6...once. Out of probably 30 million pieces of glass that were made that year, you may have wound up in the less than 1% that wind up being defective and slipping through QC. It does not make the quality of the glass poor. And yes, i have seen OEM glass that has been defective before, but its usually a chip, or cut wrong, and never on an audi have I seen it. I have had 3 windshields replaced over the years with safelite using PGW glass, never once had an issue, and only issues I rarely ever hear about safelite locally are if the installer is bad and the glass isnt sealed properly and winds up leaking.

AZ Member #

lol

I think OP get's the idea.

AZ Member #

lol

I think OP get's the idea.
    I think only lettuce got it, the OP asked if he was going to have to provide clips or extra hardware. lol

AZ Member #

exactly.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Safellite has done windshields for me numerous times ---- never any problems. I have a '13 allroad and I'm on my fourth windshield..... no big deal

There are only two manufacturers for OEM windshields for Audi....... .Sekurit and Pilkington. Safellite will have class from either of those two makers. The ONLY difference is the Audi logo will not be on the glass. Anyone telling you any different doesn't know what they're talking about. My info comes direct from Audi corporate and was confirmed by Safellite folks.

The only thing that is a bit different........ Audi/VW and BMW require a specific adhesive. My Safellite shop is very aware of it.
    Vehicles: 2013 Ibis White allroad & 2006 Campy White Touareg

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by treginginco View Post
    Safellite has done windshields for me numerous times ---- never any problems. I have a '13 allroad and I'm on my fourth windshield..... no big deal

There are only two manufacturers for OEM windshields for Audi....... .Sekurit and Pilkington. Safellite will have class from either of those two makers. The ONLY difference is the Audi logo will not be on the glass. Anyone telling you any different doesn't know what they're talking about. My info comes direct from Audi corporate and was confirmed by Safellite folks.

The only thing that is a bit different........ Audi/VW and BMW require a specific adhesive. My Safellite shop is very aware of it.
    Wrong. Theres 3 brands now that oem uses. I need to go take a pic because even i was in disbelief when they replaced mine with an oem glass. It even has the logo on it

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Slick_B8 View Post
    Wrong. Theres 3 brands now that oem uses. I need to go take a pic because even i was in disbelief when they replaced mine with an oem glass. It even has the logo on it
    If you had your windshield replaced and it has the logo on it..... there's a good chance the only windshield available was an OEM item and your insurance simply told the glass shop to replace it.

Side glass and rear windows are also made for Audi/VW by PPG, but that's not the glass being discussed.
    Vehicles: 2013 Ibis White allroad & 2006 Campy White Touareg

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by treginginco View Post
    If you had your windshield replaced and it has the logo on it..... there's a good chance the only windshield available was an OEM item and your insurance simply told the glass shop to replace it.

Side glass and rear windows are also made for Audi/VW by PPG, but that's not the glass being discussed.
    Nope, i asked for it and paid out of pocket aswell for it. And i think i worded my last post wrong. I meant to say the brand they used, which has the audi logo aswell, isnt either of the two you mentioned.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The brand they used is FJ

Veteran Member Three Rings Layd Dly's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stock parts

I just had my windshield replaced, and even if Safelite doesnt use their made for them crap, I still wouldnt let them touch my car. Ive seen and experienced their work and its garbage.

Do what I did and ask the Dealership who they use. They reccomended me to an awesome local shop who ordered my OEM Sekurit glass but also had access to the non-oem Sekurit as well. They did an amazing install and didnt cut corners. Couldnt have been happier considering I only had 6k miles on it at the time.

Corey

2016 allroad quattro

Tornado Grey.Sport.aFe.APR.BBS.Brembo.Canyon Run.ECS.Hawk.Michelin.ST.Stoptech

Build Thread - Flickr - Instagram

Active Member Two Rings Calderone's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had safelite repair my window. They come to you. I like the quality of the work. The only thing I didn't really like is that they have a "QR" barcode in the bottom left. Which is not oem glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings ILVTRANCE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 B6 S4 Avant

agreed. my b6 which i didn't notice when i bought it has non oem glass its pitted and during heavy rains sometimes leaks.
    2005 B6 S4 Avant FI Fullback
    2011 B8 A4 APR Stage 1 - DD

AZ Member #

That is exactly what I did after I discovered the waviness of the glass that Safelite installed. To be fair to Safelite, I did not specify what glass I wanted, which is my own fault. The technician was professional, no complaints there.

But the small glass shop that the dealer recommended was A+.

Quote Originally Posted by Layd Dly View Post
    I just had my windshield replaced, and even if Safelite doesnt use their made for them crap, I still wouldnt let them touch my car. Ive seen and experienced their work and its garbage.

Do what I did and ask the Dealership who they use. They reccomended me to an awesome local shop who ordered my OEM Sekurit glass but also had access to the non-oem Sekurit as well. They did an amazing install and didnt cut corners. Couldnt have been happier considering I only had 6k miles on it at the time.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ILVTRANCE View Post
    agreed. my b6 which i didn't notice when i bought it has non oem glass its pitted and during heavy rains sometimes leaks.
    Considering the fact that my OEM glass is badly pitted, id say that this argument is totally baseless, you guys are grasping at straws to justify oem glass over whatever brand safelite uses. If your windshield is leaking after the install, its not a product of the glass, its a product of a crappy install, all windshield glass is urethaned to the car, so obviously there was a screw up there. The 3 of us here are from the tri-state area, our roads are shit, and our windshields are constantly bombarded with salt dust during the winter, and rocks and stones during the other months after the roads are patched. Any glass you put on there will eventually become pitted to a point it needs to be replaced. Sekurit, pilkington, PPG, PGW, all perfectly good brands of glass. These guys do nothing but glass for a living, if they were using shit glass, they wouldn't have such a good reputation that they have.

Senior Member Three Rings Roadtrippn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    Considering the fact that my OEM glass is badly pitted, id say that this argument is totally baseless, you guys are grasping at straws to justify oem glass over whatever brand safelite uses. If your windshield is leaking after the install, its not a product of the glass, its a product of a crappy install, all windshield glass is urethaned to the car, so obviously there was a screw up there. The 3 of us here are from the tri-state area, our roads are shit, and our windshields are constantly bombarded with salt dust during the winter, and rocks and stones during the other months after the roads are patched. Any glass you put on there will eventually become pitted to a point it needs to be replaced. Sekurit, pilkington, PPG, PGW, all perfectly good brands of glass. These guys do nothing but glass for a living, if they were using shit glass, they wouldn't have such a good reputation that they have.
    I agree. I think it all depends on what dude shows up in the van. A lot of times they're rushing cause they get paid on how many windshields they get done. They fucked up my rear view mirror on my b8 it's always falling off now. My aftermarket sub doesn't help lol. Do like I did with my b5 and take it to an actual safelight shop. I had no issues when I did that.
    2011 A4 2.0TQ 6MT - CTS K04, APR Quad, AWE DP, TR8 intercooler,ECS LWFW/Southbend Edurance clutch,Vogtland coilovers, SPC control arms, 20% tint, 10'' JL Audio sub,
    2001 A4 1.8TQ Borla exhaust, AWE boost gauge, GIAC X, K&N, 17s, Depo Ecodes, ST coils. SOLD

Veteran Member Four Rings inNout's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

This applies to all glass replacement, but watch the technician like a hawk to make sure he doesn't scratch the metal frame with the edge of the glass during installation. My previous Lexus started developing quarter sized rust bubble around the top of the A-pillar because the installer (safelite) didn't prime the area after he scratched it.
    2010 B8 2.0T 6spd K04 + [HPA Motorsport, Rays, APR, Eisenmann, Bastuck, Eurocode, KW, OSIR, StopTech, ArmaSpeed]

Veteran Member Four Rings SleeperCar's Avatar
    AZ Member #

my OEM glass looks horrible.....

...hope that helps
    2013 A4 Scuba Blue Metallic | APR stage 2 | AWE | Milltek | GFB+ | Suntek | Solo-Werks | Eurocode | Blesk | 034 | ECStuning | CR-15 Strut brace | Apikol | R8 Coilpacks | NGK | Akebono | Hawk |MRR-GF07 19x9.5 ET38 | 18x8.5 peeler reps ET 40 (winter)

Established Member Two Rings Hybrid81's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperCar View Post
    my OEM glass looks horrible.....

...hope that helps
    Mine does, too.

Looks terrible when hit by direct sunlight.
    Brilliant Black A4 Sline | 6MT | APR Stage 2 | Escort 9500xi | JHM Short Shift/BFI | CTS K04/Unitronic IC Next

AZ Member #

Yeh mine is the same way, been debating getting it replaced with the rain sensing version and swapping in the rain sensing wipers and auto lights.

Senior Member Four Rings Project Quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi Q3 Prem+ Quattro (the girl's ride)

I've had mine replaced by Safelite two consecutive winters due to stone chips, non-OE glass, and everything has been great including the rain sensor. They used Pilkington glass both times.
    Chairman of the Board for The Pedal Responce Team
    Current: 2013 Audi A4 Prem+ 6MT Sport Package|APR|CR-15|18x8.5 ET35 Alzor 628|AWE|RS grille|LED interior|debadged|VCDS| tinted 42% sides 20% rear
    Past: 2009 Audi A4 Premium 6AT|VCT Wheels|DWS|Pro Kit|e-codes|LED interior|debadged|RS grille|VCDS|yellow fogs|tint|
    |The mastermind formerly known as ProjectBlackout|Ross-Tech/VCDS 14.10 in Trumbull, CT - PM me|

AZ Member #

Thanks for the suggestions guys. So I'll be replacing my windshield by next week with OEM glass from dealer to be done by safelite, water test for leaks then have windshield wrapped with Bray to protect it from stone chips.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

yea that was my complain when they replace mine, but i believe we get lifetime warranty so i guess when it breaks they can fix it again? also i think after they installed the new non OEM glass it was fucking up my NA, anybody having this problem after new glass install?