Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Going out to do this now for shits and giggles. I'm taking my laptop and cable, what do you guys want to see before and after logged? I won't be taking the car out because it's clean and don't wanna filthy it with salt again, so everything will be "logged" stationary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sonic32 View Post
    Going out to do this now for shits and giggles. I'm taking my laptop and cable, what do you guys want to see before and after logged? I won't be taking the car out because it's clean and don't wanna filthy it with salt again, so everything will be "logged" stationary

before and after:
    Accelerator position
    Throttle valve specified value
    Throttle valve position: normed
    Throttle valve position (absolute)

(in addition to rpm)

There are multiple Accelerator position variables.. make sure you use the same before and after (or same few)

Don't forget to group and turbo :)
    Last edited by jprice; 03-20-2017 at 03:36 PM.

AZ Member #

This is completely off the gas.

This is WOT.

Anything over 60% accelerator is WOT so shaving back of pedal is pointless

Senior Member Three Rings fitzydude's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Nice! I'm happy with that outcome. At least now we finally have an answer to if it matters that some of us only hit 80% at WOT.
    2010 S4 / 6MT / 034 RSWB & Motor Mounts / AMS Cooling / EC Alu Kreuz & inserts / B12 suspension / CTS SC & JHM OD Pulley (PR:3.139) / JHM STS & Stg 4 clutch / Magnaflow w/cutouts / RS-51 / Roc-Euro / USP clutch line / Chipwerke 3-1 / Revo EPL Revo

AZ Member #

Myth busted!

Veteran Member Four Rings rtl5009's Avatar
    AZ Member #

But then why did it feel faster? Fitzy are you still taking pics of the actual plate? It still could open more as it was just maxed at 85.9
    2001.5 b5s4 built bottom stg3 on E - Sold
    2013 B8.5 S4 stage 2 DP

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fitzydude View Post
    Nice! I'm happy with that outcome. At least now we finally have an answer to if it matters that some of us only hit 80% at WOT.
    Actually my normal readings are 79-80. I got it up to 85 by shoving my foot as hard as I could on it and didn't make a difference. Forgot to mention.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by rtl5009 View Post
    But then why did it feel faster? Fitzy are you still taking pics of the actual plate? It still could open more as it was just maxed at 85.9
    Yeah I'll still going to investigate a little more when I get home, I'd like to look at some other variables that might be influenced by the accelerator position. I was thoroughly convinced the car felt faster, but placebo is powerful. I'll compare some more logs tonight when I get back to the hotel.

Also I'm interested to know why 7bolt ran faster times at the track when depressing the kickdown button vs not. If anything over 60% is WOT
    2010 S4 / 6MT / 034 RSWB & Motor Mounts / AMS Cooling / EC Alu Kreuz & inserts / B12 suspension / CTS SC & JHM OD Pulley (PR:3.139) / JHM STS & Stg 4 clutch / Magnaflow w/cutouts / RS-51 / Roc-Euro / USP clutch line / Chipwerke 3-1 / Revo EPL Revo

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fitzydude View Post
    Yeah I'll still going to investigate a little more when I get home, I'd like to look at some other variables that might be influenced by the accelerator position. I was thoroughly convinced the car felt faster, but placebo is powerful. I'll compare some more logs tonight when I get back to the hotel.

Also I'm interested to know why 7bolt ran faster times at the track when depressing the kickdown button vs not. If anything over 60% is WOT
    Anything over 60% in this car is WOT. That has a lot to do with the ADS, tune, TB adaptation and driving style, so don't compare apples to tomatoes

AZ Member #

Hmmm
    2013 B8.5 S4 stage 2 DP

Veteran Member Four Rings GeoJoe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '73 240z

So many Dremel memes... I couldn't decide.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Myth busted!

Veteran Member Four Rings LYKUNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sacandagaD View Post
    This all kind of reminds me of a Porsche 944 I had once. The throttle cable rode on this odd shaped cam, and someone came out with a simple round Throttle Cam plate to replace it. It didn't increase performance at all, but merely smoothed out the throttle response slightly, and for a nominal price made a nice gain in the mind dyno.
    I remember getting one of those for the 85.5 944 I had! There was also a DIY mod for modifying the cam.
    2011 S4 | Prestige | Jet Blue | Black/Silver Silk Nappa | S-Tronic | Sport Diff | Drive Select | Side Assist | Titanium | Carbon Fiber Inlays | HRE R40s (summer) BBS RGRs (winter)

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDozer View Post
    Pedal position and throttle body valve position aren't a 1-1 relationship.
    This.

Does anyone have logs of pedal position vs throttle valve opening?
    -Hayden

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post
    This.

Does anyone have logs of pedal position vs throttle valve opening?
    I just posted that above

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

I just posted that above

Whoops, not sure how I missed that!

Only thing is, what's the difference between Throttle valve position (absolute) and Throttle valve position (normed)?
    -Hayden

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I wish I had logged those 4 runs. I might be opening a new can of worms but I don't know if it had to do exclusively with just throttle position. My car suffers from the CW DSG hesitation. However, on those two 12.5xx runs, I floored it past the kick down and there was no hesitation, just a very noticeable nice firm shift.

Before I speculate any more though I'll redo my tps adaptation and, if the wife allows, go back to PBIR Friday and run both scenarios with logs.

There's a good chance this is just a fluke with my setup that I need to iron out, not mystery locked up power in our cars to be discovered.
    2014 S4 DSG - Current best of 12.580@109.48 with Chipwerke @ 5-1
    2015 VW Jetta - Woman's Car
    1990 Eagle Talon AWD - SOLD

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E350 4Matic; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

Quote Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post
    Whoops, not sure how I missed that!

Only thing is, what's the difference between Throttle valve position (absolute) and Throttle valve position (normed)?
    The ecu knows what actual throttle position is really "max" for power and its not usually 100%. The butterfly all the way open at 90 deg has a bump in it that may not flow as well as it open at 85 degrees lets say. The computer knows what its 100 percent is though
    2013 Audi S5 DSG
    Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, KI 200mm Lower, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    11.605 at 118.76mph - 93 octane - +544DA
    Gone:
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Senior Member Three Rings sacandagaD's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 P+, 2015 BMW X3 M-sport, 2005 Honda Element
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by LYKUNO View Post
    I remember getting one of those for the 85.5 944 I had! There was also a DIY mod for modifying the cam.
    Those cars were considered best handling production car in the world at one time. Not bad considering half the parts came from VW Jetta and Golfs, lol! Wish I had a Turbo version now, as I'd make a track car out of it.
    2011 S4 P+, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black/Silver Alcantara, Sport Diff, Carbon Inlays, B&O, MMI Nav, ADS, DSG, Hoen fogs, Red Supercharged badges, ECS dipstick, Ziza Interior LED kit, 19" Hartmann Ti reps w/Bridgestone S-04's. Hardwired V1, S-line DSG shifter, Slotted ECS rotors w/Akebono pads, Chipwerke Pro Stage 1, CR15 brace.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4 6MT, 2012 VW 2.0T CC DSG, 2017 Corvette Grand Sport M7

Quote Originally Posted by sacandagaD View Post
    Those cars were considered best handling production car in the world at one time. Not bad considering half the parts came from VW Jetta and Golfs, lol! Wish I had a Turbo version now, as I'd make a track car out of it.
    The front suspension was from the golf, the rear suspension was from a Beetle (!!)

Senior Member Three Rings sacandagaD's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 P+, 2015 BMW X3 M-sport, 2005 Honda Element
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by S4'ed View Post
    The front suspension was from the golf, the rear suspension was from a Beetle (!!)
    Lol! I remember a good friend of mine always busting my stones and saying it was not a "real" Porsche with the engine up front. Couldn't really argue with him, but they did get the handling right, mine had the LSD, and on ramps were a blast at full throttle.
    2011 S4 P+, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black/Silver Alcantara, Sport Diff, Carbon Inlays, B&O, MMI Nav, ADS, DSG, Hoen fogs, Red Supercharged badges, ECS dipstick, Ziza Interior LED kit, 19" Hartmann Ti reps w/Bridgestone S-04's. Hardwired V1, S-line DSG shifter, Slotted ECS rotors w/Akebono pads, Chipwerke Pro Stage 1, CR15 brace.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I just wanted to put a final nail in the coffin for the WOT mod.

Here is a video of the throttlebody while I'm pressing down on the accelerator calling out the accelerator position. It ranges from 15% (closed) to 62% (wide open).

Here is a video showing the VCDS values. Every thing is reading WOT at 62% accelerator position. The only value that continues to rise after 62% accelerator voltage. So unless the ECU uses that value for something this mod is useless.

Anyway, a negative result is still a result and the placebo effect is quite powerful! Thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Forester XT, lawn mower
    Items for Sale

Lol. Well great work anyway! Haha.

Sent from my SM-G930VC using Tapatalk
    2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 1, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line

AZ Member #

You need a ported and polished throttle body.
    2013 B8.5 S4 stage 2 DP

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by rtl5009 View Post
    You need a ported and polished throttle body.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Established Member Three Rings protogeoff's Avatar
    AZ Member #

V1Rotate

Veteran Member Four Rings cspcrx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Tacoma, 2007 Harley Softail, 1986 Honda CRX

He thanks for thinking outside the box and myth busting it.
    2012 Ibis P+ / DSG / Silk Napa / B&O / Sport Diff. / ADS lite / MMI & Nav / APR Stage 2 & TCU Tuned / ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake / AMS Alpha Cooler / ECS 2-Piece Rotors / Akebono Pads / VMR 803 19x9.5 ET45 265-35-19 PSS / ECS Bushing Inserts / CR-15

THEN THEN THEN Rinse & Repeat!