Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Headlight issue...xenon... Flicker... No light

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So, it's been an unending string of shit lately. Fuel problem... Control arm replacement... Bumper losing a fight with a driveway...

After repairing the bumper and fixing mounts and such I forgot to plug in the driver side headlight before starting the car... Got the dipped error. Turned off the car, reconnected, and got the same error.

Now the light flickers but won't come on. Before I throw more money at this I just wanted to get thoughts on what y'all suspect first. I'm hoping bulb, but the way this month has been going and the uniqueness of the scenario... I figure it's gotta be expensive. LOL (sorta)

The only thing vagcom says...
    00978 - Lamp for Low Beam; Left (M29)
    30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

Sent from my XT1575 using Audizine mobile app
    Last edited by K1196A; 03-20-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Wrecked B7 A4
    Items for Sale

Just as a precaution, try disconnecting the battery for a bit and and reconnect to see if it's gone away?

AZ Member #

I did. left it undone about 10 minutes. No joy!

AZ Member #

Found this while researching...

There are two problems here:

1) The lights flickering, then coming out with dash warning , turn lights off then on again and they will work, or do the same again. I had this on both sides at the same time, I replaced the bulbs and Valla, never had a problem again.

2) The lights go out instantly within a second or so whenever they are switched on, this is the ballast (also know as Control unit), the silver box fixed to the light housing.
    My issue is as described in #2... can anybody substantiate the above statement? That's what I initially thought based on how fluorescent bulbs react with bad ballasts, but the things I don't know about xenon auto systems could fill books.

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

its a pita to do this but trying the bulb from the passenger side to the drivers side and if it still flicker and not lite up. This way you can rule out a defective bulb
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    k20 Integra

Quote Originally Posted by vce1232000 View Post
    its a pita to do this but trying the bulb from the passenger side to the drivers side and if it still flicker and not lite up. This way you can rule out a defective bulb
    Bulb or ballast. Do this^

Also don't sweat the issues, a control arm and fueling issue is nothing :) My bumper lost a fight to an extended tow hitch on a pickup so feel you there!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by dwinters14 View Post
    Bulb or ballast. Do this^
    Exactly if the bulb still doesnt lite up or flickers. He can move on to the ballast being defective
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites

AZ Member #

BULB, and whilst thankful that's all it was... the engineer who signed off on needing to remove the front bumper cover just to change a light bulb needs kicked in the dick.

I can't help but wonder though if it was pure coincidence, or if I needed to let the car fully discharge before reconnecting the light assembly. Next time I can assure you the battery will be disconnected regardless.

Sent from my XT1575 using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Wrecked B7 A4
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by K1196A View Post
    the engineer who signed off on needing to remove the front bumper cover just to change a light bulb needs kicked in the dick.
    Most like a manager who had to figure out a way to bring more money to the dealerships.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audibot View Post
    Most like a manager who had to figure out a way to bring more money to the dealerships.

he under-estimated my commitment to frugality!!!

Veteran Member Four Rings papadelogan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 F250 7.3 Powerstroke

BULB, and whilst thankful that's all it was... the engineer who signed off on needing to remove the front bumper cover just to change a light bulb needs kicked in the dick.
    ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY. ANY bulb change should take no more than 5 minutes. Period.
    2007 Ibis White B7 A4 Ti Avant 6MT quattro JHM Stage 2, HFC, Milltek CatBack, GFB DV+ "the YETI"

2005.5 Black B7 A4 6MT quattro sold

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Wrecked B7 A4
    Items for Sale

he under-estimated my commitment to frugality!!!

AZ Member #

LOL

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Glad to hear it was a easy

Established Member Two Rings BOOSTED DUBB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I hope mine is just a bulb problem, lights turn on fine and work great until I take a fast turn. The driver side light flickers then some times goes out, and sometimes not. When it does go out i turn my lights off for a few seconds then back on and the work until the next fast turn.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTED DUBB View Post
    I hope mine is just a bulb problem, lights turn on fine and work great until I take a fast turn. The driver side light flickers then some times goes out, and sometimes not. When it does go out i turn my lights off for a few seconds then back on and the work until the next fast turn.
    I hope so too. The way my bulb was cracked I was amazed it did anything at all when I turned the lights on... I'd have bet money it was the ballast. It just sucks it's such a complete PITA to get to the bulbs to start testing.