Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Two Rings panman142's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Well a world of problems is an exaggeration really, most of it came from putting the coilovers on and it having 100k+ miles living in Ohio its whole life, basically had to replace every bushing under it. Balance shafts seized during a logging run for the stage 2+ tune too which you've read that whole thread, my oil pressure is on the very bottom of 'acceptable' now.. those are the main things. Could've avoided having to do things if I would've just left it alone, but you have to pay to play... just having a prime captain hindsight moment really just figured I'd pass my .02 along to someone early on in the mod game (not that I'm that far in myself compared to others on here) I love my B7 to death, but just takes a shit ton of money to get some good power out of the platform. My buddys alpha testing Frankenturbos for his 335 and with a few other upgrades hes knocking on the door of 700 wheel...

All in all do I like where the car is at "stage 2+" yes its a blast to daily. Would I do it over, maybe... maybe not, a lot has changed since I picked up my B7, like APR's new ultracharger kit for the B8. At this point I've pretty much been through every bit of maintenance on the B7 so hopefully shell be good to me this season
    2006 6MT
    Malone stage 2+ w/ Autotech HPFP upgrade, ECS CF intake, test pipe, RS4 clutch w/lgwt flywheel, Forge DV, 034 RSB w end links, poly diff and carrier bushings, poly snub, 034 trans, RS4 engine mts, EVO boost & oil press gauges, ECS short shifter w/BFI knob, RS4 grille

Established Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by panman142 View Post
    Well a world of problems is an exaggeration really, most of it came from putting the coilovers on and it having 100k+ miles living in Ohio its whole life, basically had to replace every bushing under it. Balance shafts seized during a logging run for the stage 2+ tune too which you've read that whole thread, my oil pressure is on the very bottom of 'acceptable' now.. those are the main things. Could've avoided having to do things if I would've just left it alone, but you have to pay to play... just having a prime captain hindsight moment really just figured I'd pass my .02 along to someone early on in the mod game (not that I'm that far in myself compared to others on here) I love my B7 to death, but just takes a shit ton of money to get some good power out of the platform. My buddys alpha testing Frankenturbos for his 335 and with a few other upgrades hes knocking on the door of 700 wheel...

All in all do I like where the car is at "stage 2+" yes its a blast to daily. Would I do it over, maybe... maybe not, a lot has changed since I picked up my B7, like APR's new ultracharger kit for the B8. At this point I've pretty much been through every bit of maintenance on the B7 so hopefully shell be good to me this season
    Well comparing a 335 to an A4 isn't really a comparison at all.. I mean even the lower one (325? 328? Whatever it is) is still a straight six.. I mean it's got two extra cylinders lol

But thanks for the word of caution, I haven't entered into the world yet and am on the cusp of it, I bought a jhm tune and now am debating whether I wanna even install it. It's only a stage one and I don't know if I'll ever go further, maybe. But I do have positives and negatives about installing it, and am alittle apprehensive because I worry a ton

Two major things are my original revision camshaft, and the balance shafts. I'm thinking this summer I wanna drop the pan and disable the balance shafts and change the oil pickup tube while I'm in there since doing all that is relatively cheap besides time and anger lol

The camshaft thing idk if I should even worry about though because everything I've seen is people saying "it's way too soft" when their cam follower was blown through for 50k and they destroyed the cam... that's not too soft if it's being operated in a way not meant for it, but I'm afraid now with the tune that it'll put more pressure on the hpfp which will in turn put more on the camshaft and wear that I don't know mang haha

I've gotta keep the car a while too since it's so low mileage (45k) and I've got a loan on it, which is also why I'd rather delete the balance shafts now and never have to worry about it again haha

Plus I've also read of many people going stage 1 at my mileage and they've still got the car and it has 200+k on it without any major issues ever, even one dude with the original clutch!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Last edited by pezgoon; 03-24-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

AZ Member #

Right I mean I don't want to scare you off the mod game, its fun as hell. But when I mentioned the 335 I was getting at more of how high the ceiling is on other platforms where to be at like 400 wheel for a B7 is easily 5-7k+ (simple bolt ons and tunes get you there for an N54 engine, I hate BMW dont get me wrong and the N54 is riddled with more problems than an FSI almost, also 2 extra cylinders and an extra turbo helps....)

At low mileage I would think youll be good to go. The main reason I think I'm bitching about how much I've put into mine is cause of all the maintenance and small shit I've done. After the balance shafts went (squeaked by and still have a running car somehow) steering rack started pissing fluid. Before that I got my RA4 clutch installed, had the CCT serviced, had to drop the rear subframe and do upper control arm bushings/ wheel bearings etc (shredded a set of DWS06's cause of it) full front suspension... I could go on and on. The thing is I can totally drop the $$ and make it 400 wheel and probably get a longgg life out of it still now that most of the main stuff is out of the way. Its on the revision cam with HPFP upgrade and everythings doing good, but I just know I'll get tired of it and end up selling it for a huge loss. My issue is I bought and modded the car at the wrong point in its life and instead of having all that maint spread over potentially 100k miles it got spread over about 30k which got expensive and frustrating. But on the same hand I like the challenge of getting power out of a B7 because there are only a handful of BT'd cars out there and you could do some serious whomping on someone who doesn't know what turbos under the hood.

I say install the shit out of that tune and enjoy it man, it is definitely a new very enjoyable driving experience. I know I've been a bit of a downer with the posts on this thread, more venting than anything. Like I mentioned earlier... being stage 2+ with a basket of other goodies makes it a suuuper fun daily and its head and shoulders better than the day I brought it home. Theres so much info out there and knowledgable people that you can always work through any problem that comes with doing upgrades like tunes suspension etc. As long as you have pockets deeper than the shallow end youll be A OK!

P.S. Just throw an oil pressure gauge in and keep an eye on things, no need to necessarily delete the balance shafts just yet but would be good preventative maintenance
    2006 6MT
    Malone stage 2+ w/ Autotech HPFP upgrade, ECS CF intake, test pipe, RS4 clutch w/lgwt flywheel, Forge DV, 034 RSB w end links, poly diff and carrier bushings, poly snub, 034 trans, RS4 engine mts, EVO boost & oil press gauges, ECS short shifter w/BFI knob, RS4 grille

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

Even if you had bought a B8 S4. How long would you leave it stock . forum people do not leave anything stock......
    The fun part of it is to push the stock motor to . So come along the headaches and $$$$ out your wallet....
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,S6 19 inch rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A4 Quattro, 1998 Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    Thanks for the support guys

Not able to be on the forums as much as I once was =/
    Any deals for me?

Revo has a nice setup from what I've seen where I wouldn't have to spend nearly as much. Just wondering what my best option would be.

I love going fast but I want my car to look good too. I need some coilovers and wheels ideally but that's out of budget for now I think. Even Racelands are $369 and they are low quality. And then I still have to get wheels and tires and Rotiform BLQ's are another $876 and then I still need tires .

I JUST CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    Well comparing a 335 to an A4 isn't really a comparison at all.. I mean even the lower one (325? 328? Whatever it is) is still a straight six.. I mean it's got two extra cylinders lol

But thanks for the word of caution, I haven't entered into the world yet and am on the cusp of it, I bought a jhm tune and now am debating whether I wanna even install it. It's only a stage one and I don't know if I'll ever go further, maybe. But I do have positives and negatives about installing it, and am alittle apprehensive because I worry a ton

Two major things are my original revision camshaft, and the balance shafts. I'm thinking this summer I wanna drop the pan and disable the balance shafts and change the oil pickup tube while I'm in there since doing all that is relatively cheap besides time and anger lol

The camshaft thing idk if I should even worry about though because everything I've seen is people saying "it's way too soft" when their cam follower was blown through for 50k and they destroyed the cam... that's not too soft if it's being operated in a way not meant for it, but I'm afraid now with the tune that it'll put more pressure on the hpfp which will in turn put more on the camshaft and wear that I don't know mang haha

I've gotta keep the car a while too since it's so low mileage (45k) and I've got a loan on it, which is also why I'd rather delete the balance shafts now and never have to worry about it again haha

Plus I've also read of many people going stage 1 at my mileage and they've still got the car and it has 200+k on it without any major issues ever, even one dude with the original clutch!

I'd definitely be interested in the tune if you're selling!

Veteran Member Four Rings Denio24's Avatar
    AZ Member #

looks to me like you're a full time student; I'm a part time student so that yields me time to work on my Audi. My suggestion to you, pick another car to have fun with as things can get expensive very fast, or put the money towards maintenance if you plan on keeping the car and wanting it to last as long as possible.
    Garage: 2008 Quartz Gray Audi A4Q 6MT
    Tuning: JHM Tuned Stage 2 93 Octane w/ IE HPFP

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    16 MK7 GTI APR STG2 - 95 Grand Cherokee - 06 R6 Raven - 13 HD IRON

There is a video around here somewhere of a JHM Stage 1 putting bus lengths on a revo stage 2.

JHMotorsports.com - (209) 968-0077 - JHM Dealers
    Worlds First 12sec B7 A4 2.0T
    JHM B6-S4 runs 11s w/ JHM SC Kit - B7-RS4 runs 10s w/ JHM SC Kit
    JHM Tuner Spotlight

Jake's B7 Build Thread
    "Supporting JHM is essentially supporting further development for this platform" -rongeur

AZ Member #

Right I mean I don't want to scare you off the mod game, its fun as hell. But when I mentioned the 335 I was getting at more of how high the ceiling is on other platforms where to be at like 400 wheel for a B7 is easily 5-7k+ (simple bolt ons and tunes get you there for an N54 engine, I hate BMW dont get me wrong and the N54 is riddled with more problems than an FSI almost, also 2 extra cylinders and an extra turbo helps....)

At low mileage I would think youll be good to go. The main reason I think I'm bitching about how much I've put into mine is cause of all the maintenance and small shit I've done. After the balance shafts went (squeaked by and still have a running car somehow) steering rack started pissing fluid. Before that I got my RA4 clutch installed, had the CCT serviced, had to drop the rear subframe and do upper control arm bushings/ wheel bearings etc (shredded a set of DWS06's cause of it) full front suspension... I could go on and on. The thing is I can totally drop the $$ and make it 400 wheel and probably get a longgg life out of it still now that most of the main stuff is out of the way. Its on the revision cam with HPFP upgrade and everythings doing good, but I just know I'll get tired of it and end up selling it for a huge loss. My issue is I bought and modded the car at the wrong point in its life and instead of having all that maint spread over potentially 100k miles it got spread over about 30k which got expensive and frustrating. But on the same hand I like the challenge of getting power out of a B7 because there are only a handful of BT'd cars out there and you could do some serious whomping on someone who doesn't know what turbos under the hood.

I say install the shit out of that tune and enjoy it man, it is definitely a new very enjoyable driving experience. I know I've been a bit of a downer with the posts on this thread, more venting than anything. Like I mentioned earlier... being stage 2+ with a basket of other goodies makes it a suuuper fun daily and its head and shoulders better than the day I brought it home. Theres so much info out there and knowledgable people that you can always work through any problem that comes with doing upgrades like tunes suspension etc. As long as you have pockets deeper than the shallow end youll be A OK!

P.S. Just throw an oil pressure gauge in and keep an eye on things, no need to necessarily delete the balance shafts just yet but would be good preventative maintenance
    I just got a dual podi set up and am working on the gauges now, only two I care about getting are boost and oil pressure probably gonna get digital dual functions though so I end up with four gauges, boost and unknown (or full boost and have bettter display) and oil pressure and temp

Well it wasn't just for the balance shaft delete, I wanna go in there and do the pickup revision as long live in a cold climate so that worries me, but also because I feel like when it really needs to suck in oil I feel like the side outlet opens as well not just when the lower is blocked (like WOT) and I feel like it might be a good idea. I had to drop the subframe on the Volvo I had before this car to replace the PS rack and it wasn't too too bad and I've already got an engine support anyways.

I want he car to last me as long as possible but it did need some more power, I'm planning on towing with it and I go into the mountains constantly (I've got a 13 week timeshare up there) and these are 50+ MPH roads that are through the mountains, I had to drop it into fourth sometimes just to keep up with traffic so I just couldn't do it especially as I am planning to tow up there some day (extra toys like snowmobiles and quads) so I need some extra powah

Next upgrade is to get rid of this terrible clutch :/ idk if it's the clutch or just cause the brake fluid is original but it's terrible

Eric

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by vce1232000 View Post
    Even if you had bought a B8 S4. How long would you leave it stock . forum people do not leave anything stock......
    The fun part of it is to push the stock motor to . So come along the headaches and $$$$ out your wallet....
    I mean if I had a B8 I would definitely have the dual pulley upgrades and run the Ultracharger kit lol. It would stay stock for the first few hours probably

You're absolutely right, I never leave anything stock. And probably won't get rid of the B7 anytime soon, I think the best solution is going to be 3.0 swap the B7 and get rid of the F**king FSI lol. Solves both problems!
    2006 6MT

Senior Member Three Rings klrider44's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If I could do it all over again I would get a 335i and I'm stage 3 at this point. I mean with just a tune and simple bolt ons your right around 400whp. Even the stock clutches hold up really well in the 335i's. I have driven both the N54 and the N55 and there is hardly any lag. Now I know people say well your can't compare the two because the 335i has another turbo (n54) and two more cylinders, but you can get into an n54 for about he same money as a decent A4. The potential for the 335i's are pretty ridiculous.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by klrider44 View Post
    If I could do it all over again I would get a 335i and I'm stage 3 at this point. I mean with just a tune and simple bolt ons your right around 400whp. Even the stock clutches hold up really well in the 335i's. I have driven both the N54 and the N55 and there is hardly any lag. Now I know people say well your can't compare the two because the 335i has another turbo (n54) and two more cylinders, but you can get into an n54 for about he same money as a decent A4. The potential for the 335i's are pretty ridiculous.

Yes... but they were also horribly unreliable

My boss had one (a 2008-09 or something) and he put as much money into fixing it as he paid into the loan (about 10k) and never fixed it, just sold it broken and barely broke even on the loan.

Near the end of its life it was just dumping fuel, BMW refused to help him or acknowledge there was any issue saying that he "put the wrong coil packs in" because the ones he used were 1 letter different (different revision)

How does coil packs make the car dump half a tank of gas into the engine in a 5 mile drive?

I stopped looking at the 328i after he told me his story as I had read about all the awful reviews and experiences with them and the 335i

There's a reason it's so cheap. Plus the interior sucks :D

Eric

Senior Member Three Rings klrider44's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    Yes... but they were also horribly unreliable

My boss had one (a 2008-09 or something) and he put as much money into fixing it as he paid into the loan (about 10k) and never fixed it, just sold it broken and barely broke even on the loan.

Near the end of its life it was just dumping fuel, BMW refused to help him or acknowledge there was any issue saying that he "put the wrong coil packs in" because the ones he used were 1 letter different (different revision)

How does coil packs make the car dump half a tank of gas into the engine in a 5 mile drive?

I stopped looking at the 328i after he told me his story as I had read about all the awful reviews and experiences with them and the 335i

There's a reason it's so cheap. Plus the interior sucks :D

I will say I'm not a big fan of the interiors. I don't know how much more unreliable they are than our cars. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm constantly fixing things on my car, although I feel the PO didn't take great care of the car so that's prolly where most of my issues stem from.

AZ Member #

I will say I'm not a big fan of the interiors. I don't know how much more unreliable they are than our cars. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm constantly fixing things on my car, although I feel the PO didn't take great care of the car so that's prolly where most of my issues stem from.

Probably, they are all luxury vehicles though and once you reach luxury level they become more complicate, the more complicated any machine is the higher the failure rate is, there's just more pieces to break. I mean think about it, how reliable is a carburetor vs a fuel injection system.

People may say audi isn't luxury, but it still is. All three big name companies all had issues with this same generation of years because they all tried going in the same direction. New technology brings new issues, you can't predict every eventuality especially when your on a deadline to design something

Eric

AZ Member #

I hear you there, and with the JB4 its gives you TONS of more features to mess around with then in our cars. And the lag is nonexistent with globs of power. Both platforms share their issues and prices. Doing fuel injectors on a 335 is about the same as if you would have to replace your oil pump with a new one. They have VANOS issues we have PCV issues the list goes on and on. The one thing I will say, working on the B7 vs when we work on his is night and day, I love how much space we have to work under the hood. The N54 is rather shoe horned in there but still there is still adequate working space. Yeah parts are more expensive on a 335 but its justified with the gains imo. Not sure how I got us here vs the OP.... oh yeah take the $500 and use it toward maintenance or save it...

I would really love to build something other than a 335 to give him a run for his money one his new turbos are in...but its gonna be tough, maybe turbo ls1 s10... Hahahah. Even a B8 with full bolt ons probably cant do it.
    2006 6MT

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

BMW= Break My Wallet...........
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,S6 19 inch rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd