Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Lack of hot air at idle

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So here is the scoop I purchased a 03 a4 a few months ago and the heat didn't work. I replaced the thermostat. Water pump and timing belt since my water pump was leaking. Still had issues I flushed the heater core 4 times with no luck.
    so I ended up replacing the heater core bled all the air out and was STILL not getting warm air!
    Recently I found that my head gasket was bad and letting air into the system so I got that fixed along with some other things and again after bleeding the air out there is no heat unless your around 2000 rpms. My shop is stumped, I'm getting frustrated. Does anyone have any sort of idea as to what's going on.

On a side note the day after I picked my car up from getting the head gasket done I was running some errands on rural streets and my heat spiked up between operating temperature and over heating. The whole time no heat but after the spike in temp I got a good amount of heat until after work when I went to go home. The temp spikes haven't happened again since that 1 time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this I know there are lots of threads out there but they seem to be all about flushing heater cores... and the problem I am having I don't think is a plugged heater core anymore

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings Pswish's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Suzuki VStrom 650

Have you scanned for codes? All that work and your shop didn't mention about your 2 coolant sensors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Early 04 1.8T Dolphin Grey A4, 156k miles and counting, often in bay area traffic, HIDs lows and fogs, ECS Snub mount, Vag-Com, AllDIYData.com access, Photographer.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I have no cel on the dash. But my temp sensor by the radiator was replaced the first time around. Not the back 1

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Suzuki VStrom 650

You can have codes without a Cel and if you use VCDS, you can get more info to post on here for help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Early 04 1.8T Dolphin Grey A4, 156k miles and counting, often in bay area traffic, HIDs lows and fogs, ECS Snub mount, Vag-Com, AllDIYData.com access, Photographer.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

OK I will look into it I'm really new to audi thanks for the info

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Suzuki VStrom 650

It is vital if you plan on doing any work outside the dealer since they have special scanning equipment to solve issues. VCDS lite works well and I used an unregistered version for about a year until i needed to see fuel trim data. Coolant runs in open and closed loop mode, this may help

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Awesome thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So here's and update on what's going on seems that the heat problem was due to a bad head gasket which is all fixed now but now I have a new problem.

so I picked the car up Tuesday the heat was great Wednesday it was ok for the first half of the day then dropped off a bit near the end of the day. Thursday morning heat was not very strong at all
    In the after noon it was blowing cold again. So I hit 4000 rpms and got a bit of heat and the car didn't over heat. Thursday after work it was blowing cold all the way home and when I hit 4K rpms it got Luke warm then right after I got off throttle it was cold I checked the level of coolant and it was way over full but the car wouldn't over heat! So I checked the coolant level still an inch over the full line on the tank and the output hose from the heater core is cold...This morning on my way To work the car had no heat so I just turned it off wen I was going on to the on ramp for Deerfoot from glenmore I gunned it was at 4000 roms for a few seconds the temp rose to almost over heating then dropped when I got off throttle and my low coolant light came on ( airlock passed through the system) still driving with the heat off cause fuck it and when I get to the shop I decide to sit in the car while I wait for my dad to pick me up and I turn the heat on and it's blasting hot air. Then the shop calls me around 245 saying they tested the car out and took it for a drive and there was no overheating and perfect heat.... like wtf

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Suzuki VStrom 650

Sounds like air bubbles in the heater core/coolant system.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So the shop said they couldn't find anything leaking where the air could get in I did see some build up around the bleed screw on the hard pipe could it possibly be leaking through there?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Suzuki VStrom 650

I blew a coolant sensor, bumped coolant on the highway and then didn't have heat until at higher rpms after topping off. I didn't have to get air bubbles out after topping it off with some water. You can squeeze the soft coolant hose a few times to see if air comes out. There are a lot of threads out there above no heat