Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Buying a b6 s4 as a first car?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,
    i will be going to uni this fall semester and thought it would be a good time to upgrade from my current car (im hopin to sell my ford focus hatch for about $8k) and pick up a b6 s4 as a daily driver. The focus was a good car that i got from my dad but i want something sporty and i always liked the b6 s4 and theyre really cheap to buy. I know it will probably be bit more to maintain then my current car which all did was just change oil and brakes once.

1. do you think, if i budgeted $50 a month to cover repairs it is enough?I dont want to spend much more than $600/yr so i think this is fair
    2. Is this a good daily car to go to ottawa and toronto all year around without rusting too badly
    3. should i instead get a b5 s4 since i saw some for like 4000? which i can then save the money for mods

my friend thinks i should get a 2008 civic si but id rather have a luxury car that is faster and there both the same price so id rather get a german car than a jap car even though he says the civic si is a good car. he does auto cross so i trust his opinion but i just think the audi is a better car and has leather and a v8 (i think the civic has a v4? so half.

basically, i can get a cheap b4 s4 or a nicer b6 s4 that will be around 9000 and jus want to be sure it can be reliable if i change oil regularly and use synthetic.

thanks

Established Member Four Rings james12lucy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Custom built, 440cc Midget, w 89 WHP. 2009 GSXR 600/750 w 129 WHP

This is a legitimately terrible first vehicle.

1. You are likely going to need to put away about 5x that budget monthly to cover the inevitable timing chain service it'll need (unless someone already did it). If they did, you won't wind a B6 for less than $12k. Then you have to worry about oil consumption issues. If you don't know how to maintain a car yourself, this isn't a car for you.

2. All Audi's and VWs are galvanized steel and aren't supposed to rust. Having said that, they all rust in the same places. They're amazing winter cars (if you install winter tires) but is still a high performance V8. Fuel is going to cost you a ton when traveling from Ottawa to Toronto. And you'll need premium.

3. The B5 S4 has its gremlins as well. It's a twin turbo V6 and is prone to major service and repairs. Again, not something I suggest to someone who has to ask what type of maintenance it'll need.

4. Factor in the cost of insurance and fuel. I'm refueling my B7 A4 twice a week at about $65 average cost of fuel up.

The only Honda with a V4 was a late 80s motorcycle. Ultimately, these aren't Hondas and they're not extremely reliable. They're fun, and you pay for it. If you're looking for something economical, look elsewhere. Don't let me dissuade you from buying a B6, but if it wasn't maintained before you, you'll be stuck with lot of expensive maintenance costs. Brakes are going to cost exceptionally more than your Focus did, oil will as well, suspension parts aren't cheap, timing chains are $3k for parts alone, and fuel is going to cost you $4k a year. Sure you may be able to get into one at a decent price, but it won't be cheap, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    B7 Avant, 6MT, Quattro - Brilliant Black

JHM 93 Octane Stage 2 tune, APR HPFP, S3 Injectors, JHM Test Pipe, Stasis Catback, R8 coils, 034 TIP, Carbinio CIA, 18" VMR 710, Podi Digital Boost Gauge, RS4 rear sway bar, RS4 grill, Eurojet Billet VC, 42DD catch can, Ohlins SL Coilovers w/ Hyperco springs, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, GFB DV+.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by james12lucy View Post

1. You are likely going to need to put away about 5x that budget monthly to cover the inevitable timing chain service it'll need (unless someone already did it). If they did, you won't wind a B6 for less than $12k. Then you have to worry about oil consumption issues. If you don't know how to maintain a car yourself, this isn't a car for you.

2. All Audi's and VWs are galvanized steel and aren't supposed to rust. Having said that, they all rust in the same places. They're amazing winter cars (if you install winter tires) but is still a high performance V8. Fuel is going to cost you a ton when traveling from Ottawa to Toronto. And you'll need premium.

3. The B5 S4 has its gremlins as well. It's a twin turbo V6 and is prone to major service and repairs. Again, not something I suggest to someone who has to ask what type of maintenance it'll need.

4. Factor in the cost of insurance and fuel. I'm refueling my B7 A4 twice a week at about $65 average cost of fuel up.

The only Honda with a V4 was a late 80s motorcycle. Ultimately, these aren't Hondas and they're not extremely reliable. They're fun, and you pay for it. If you're looking for something economical, look elsewhere. Don't let me dissuade you from buying a B6, but if it wasn't maintained before you, you'll be stuck with lot of expensive maintenance costs. Brakes are going to cost exceptionally more than your Focus did, oil will as well, suspension parts aren't cheap, timing chains are $3k for parts alone, and fuel is going to cost you $4k a year. Sure you may be able to get into one at a decent price, but it won't be cheap, ever.

Thanks but are you really saying ppl spend $250 a month on maintenance? that is more than i spent on the focus in a year lol. I found a bunch of b6 s4 for around 7-10k and the one i want is 8k and has about 180,000kms. he said he hasnt done the timing chain but says it is well maintained and this is over blown and not to worry about it because he takes care of it himself and always changes oil every 5k.

I will only be going to toronto when im on school break so not that often. It will suck to use premium tho. I think i will go with the b6 still tho cause ur right that the b5 has more issues and i like the style better anyways.

off topic but there are some 7 series bmw for really cheap to, around $7k for a 2003. I might look into those if the audi is too expensive.
    the bmw also has a v8. both will be quicker then my friends civic si tho for sure but i have never done auto cross before and he has some mods

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by james12lucy View Post
    agreed...you don't need an audi or a bmw in your first year of university, save your money for the parties instead
    2013 Phantom Black S4 - 6MT, Sports Diff, Premium, Carbon Atlas - CW, 35% Tint, H&R Street Coilovers, Stasis Rear Sway Bar
    2006 S2000 - 400WHP @ 10psi,

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Subaru Forester XT, 2008 BMW 335i Coupe, 2004 Acura TSX

Quote Originally Posted by alphabro View Post
    Thanks but are you really saying ppl spend $250 a month on maintenance? that is more than i spent on the focus in a year lol. I found a bunch of b6 s4 for around 7-10k and the one i want is 8k and has about 180,000kms. he said he hasnt done the timing chain but says it is well maintained and this is over blown and not to worry about it because he takes care of it himself and always changes oil every 5k.

I will only be going to toronto when im on school break so not that often. It will suck to use premium tho. I think i will go with the b6 still tho cause ur right that the b5 has more issues and i like the style better anyways.

off topic but there are some 7 series bmw for really cheap to, around $7k for a 2003. I might look into those if the audi is too expensive.
    the bmw also has a v8. both will be quicker then my friends civic si tho for sure but i have never done auto cross before and he has some mods
    There is a reason why all used luxury cars are so cheap to buy! $250/mth for maintenance is just too conservative! $3000 may not even good enough for replacing brake rotors & pads on all 4 corners! not counting the engine or transmission can be down anytime and then tons of electronics can be goes wrong! Go get a recent model of civic or impreza when you are a collage student. You dun need a german to prove you are more a man than someone with a honda! And be aware you will still get dust away easily by a s2k or ITR on the road even if you driving a V8 german
    2016 Subaru Dark Grey Forester XT touring
    2013 Audi Phantom Black S5 6MT Sport Diff, 20" BBS CH-R, Navi, B&O, PSS10, AK, sway, RS brake + grill & Ecode
    2011 Audi Deep Sea Blue A4 Avant
    2008 BMW Montego Blue E92 335i 6MT Msport
    2004 Acura Premium White TSX 6MT

Established Member Four Rings james12lucy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Custom built, 440cc Midget, w 89 WHP. 2009 GSXR 600/750 w 129 WHP

Timing chain replacement is inevitable even with regularly changed oil. Oil and maintenance have nothing to do with the fact Audi's chain driven V8s had design flaws. If he hasn't changed the chains and guides, they will fail. I mean, you're asking a community of Audi enthusiasts what can and will go wrong. The CAN AND WILL go wrong. I'm surprised they haven't by 180k...

The round trip to Toronto will cost you about $150 when on break. VIA tickets are a better option than driving a B6. The B5s don't necessarily have more problems.

BMWs have their issues as well. A 7 series is going to cost you as much, or more to maintain. It sounds to me like you should likely be looking at something more economical than a German über car. Neither of the cars you've mentioned are likely to be any quicker than that Civic in an auto cross track; they're big and heavy, his civic isn't.

If I were you, I'd be looking for a mildly built B6 A4 1.8t for a commuter car. The 1.8t is bullet proof, cheap, easy to find parts for, and much better on fuel. It's also a platform that can be built on while you're learning about vehicles. The suspension and body are the same as the B6 S4, so it'll still cost when doing repairs, but it'll be easier to maintain.

But hey, do what you want. Buy the B6 S4 the guy is trying to unload. I'll take it off your hands for pennies on the dollar when the timing chain snaps and you don't want to cover a $6k repair bill.

B7 Avant, 6MT, Quattro - Brilliant Black

JHM 93 Octane Stage 2 tune, APR HPFP, S3 Injectors, JHM Test Pipe, Stasis Catback, R8 coils, 034 TIP, Carbinio CIA, 18" VMR 710, Podi Digital Boost Gauge, RS4 rear sway bar, RS4 grill, Eurojet Billet VC, 42DD catch can, Ohlins SL Coilovers w/ Hyperco springs, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, GFB DV+.

AZ Member #

thanks everyone.

so i went to check out the car and it drove pretty good had a check engine light on but the seller said he would take care of it no problem he also said, the engine doesnt make any noise so its still good. with everyones advise tho, I think i will pass. he also wanted a deposit today and said he will get i safety no problem and was kind of aggressive when i mentioned i was reading forums online cuz he thinks everyone is an online mechanic or somthing like that..

you guys really think, my buddys civic will be faster even though it has way less horsepower? i was with him when he had it tuned and it only made 216hp lol
    stock the s4 is a good extra 100hp. My other friend has a miata and recommended test driving his but i dont want a girls car and ya i know, some guys drive a miata. it also doesnt make much hp and no where near as nice and kinda expensive

in the end, isnt it just a better bargain to get a german car than a boring, slow jap car that everyone recommends? i mean, for the same price (actually i think an audi a4 is even cheaper than a civic si) you get leather, luxury, and a the status. with a honda its suposed to be reliable but i know thats not always the case.. i mean, my familys last accord we had to replace the car battery out of nowhere at around 200,000kms and my dad also had the clutch go at 250? cant remember excatly. basically for the price why would anyone get a civic cause even with mods my buddy couldnt even make 220hp lol and he had it tuned

im gonna take a look at the basic a4 tho. not a s4 but still an audi. Also, is that a typo - $6,000 for a timing chain or do you mean, $600? Cuz if its $6k thats like the same price as the car i was gonna buy since seller said, he knock off $1000 if i got it today but i said no and he was kind of angry and $150 for going to toronto and back seems pretty good not terrible. basically, 1 tank of gas each trip

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

i'd get an is250 circa 2006. probably much more reliable, if you must have a luxury car for 8k

AZ Member #
    My Garage

thanks everyone.

so i went to check out the car and it drove pretty good had a check engine light on but the seller said he would take care of it no problem he also said, the engine doesnt make any noise so its still good. with everyones advise tho, I think i will pass. he also wanted a deposit today and said he will get i safety no problem and was kind of aggressive when i mentioned i was reading forums online cuz he thinks everyone is an online mechanic or somthing like that..

you guys really think, my buddys civic will be faster even though it has way less horsepower? i was with him when he had it tuned and it only made 216hp lol
    stock the s4 is a good extra 100hp. My other friend has a miata and recommended test driving his but i dont want a girls car and ya i know, some guys drive a miata. it also doesnt make much hp and no where near as nice and kinda expensive

in the end, isnt it just a better bargain to get a german car than a boring, slow jap car that everyone recommends? i mean, for the same price (actually i think an audi a4 is even cheaper than a civic si) you get leather, luxury, and a the status. with a honda its suposed to be reliable but i know thats not always the case.. i mean, my familys last accord we had to replace the car battery out of nowhere at around 200,000kms and my dad also had the clutch go at 250? cant remember excatly. basically for the price why would anyone get a civic cause even with mods my buddy couldnt even make 220hp lol and he had it tuned

im gonna take a look at the basic a4 tho. not a s4 but still an audi. Also, is that a typo - $6,000 for a timing chain or do you mean, $600? Cuz if its $6k thats like the same price as the car i was gonna buy since seller said, he knock off $1000 if i got it today but i said no and he was kind of angry and $150 for going to toronto and back seems pretty good not terrible. basically, 1 tank of gas each trip
    replace battery at 200000km and replace clutch on 250000km is called unreliable??? and thinking $6000 for a timing chain on an audi is not real!!! good luck then! It cost me $3k USD to replace my RS5 brake rotors & pads and my 9yr old 335i cost me $5k a year to maintain it and I only drive it 5000km a year most! And I just picked up a 6yr old B8 A4 avant with only 75k km as my daily. It runs perfectly fine and I just did some tune up and preventive such as replace spark plug, brake, all oil, battery, tensioner, carbon clean up...etc. Already cost me $2k easily! I dun think I ever spend $3k in total to maintain my TSX in the past 14yr and it still blast to drive as much as my S5!

And as a true knowledgeable and skillful driver will love both a Audi & Honda. There are ppl out there driving a "S" car as a winter beater/daily driver and baby their 15+ yr old honda as their summer fun car!
    2013 Audi Phantom Black S5 6MT Sport Diff, 20" BBS CH-R, Navi, B&O, PSS10, AK, sway, RS brake + grill & Ecode

Established Member Two Rings turbojayc's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just had to chime in as I was once in your shoes shopping for a "cool" car on a budget

You can't think a used $6,000-$8,000 Audi or BMW is not going to give you issues? Unless some of the major maintenance work has been done that others had mentioned, you'll for sure be the one doing them at a cost more then $600/year. Be responsible and get a good car that you can afford to buy and maintain. Maybe a Civic SI is not as "cool" as the S4 you want, but it's not so "cool" when your stuck on the side of the road or your car is stuck at the mechanics becasue you can't afford to fix it. (Fuck, I sound like an old man saying this, i'm not I swear. 35 years old to be exact) But you have your whole life ahead of you to drive a nice car, don't buy an old Audi so you can say you drive an Audi. To be honest, a $6,000 Audi is probably a piece of shit anyways.
    2016 SQ5 - Mythos Black
    H&R Sport Springs | ECS Spacers | CTS Turbo CAI | Black Optics | Custom Catback Exhaust | 22" Niche Targa M130 | RS Grill | Unitronic Stage 2+ with Pulley |

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    replace battery at 200000km and replace clutch on 250000km is called unreliable??? and thinking $6000 for a timing chain on an audi is not real!!! good luck then! It cost me $3k USD to replace my RS5 brake rotors & pads and my 9yr old 335i cost me $5k a year to maintain it and I only drive it 5000km a year most! And I just picked up a 6yr old B8 A4 avant with only 75k km as my daily. It runs perfectly fine and I just did some tune up and preventive such as replace spark plug, brake, all oil, battery, tensioner, carbon clean up...etc. Already cost me $2k easily! I dun think I ever spend $3k in total to maintain my TSX in the past 14yr and it still blast to drive as much as my S5!

And as a true knowledgeable and skillful driver will love both a Audi & Honda. There are ppl out there driving a "S" car as a winter beater/daily driver and baby their 15+ yr old honda as their summer fun car!
    Really? What honda would ppl serious save for summer driving only lol espcially that old? I cant think of choosing an old honda over a s4 hahahah
    but I googled honda sports cars and maybe the nsx is special? but its pretty slow to like 260hp which is pretty slow for a so called sports car. the new nsx is much more hp and looks good but id rather have a r8 if i had that money

thanks everyone for the tips. i talked more to my dad and he pretty much shut down me selling the focus for a s4 and said im an idiot lol. yea i guess ill just focus on school and hockey for now anyways
    the hatch is good for my hockey bag and stuff. also all the audi sellers i met were kind of rude and aggressive when i asked anything about maintenance and said that the timing chain thing was not a big deal and blown up by know it alls on the internet.

i guess, i thought it would cost more but was thinking a few hundred and not thousands. wasnt sure if it was a typo and somone accidentally put an extra 0
    one day jus not right now i guess

Veteran Member Four Rings Tanner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

S2000 for the summer. Was considering that or a BRZ, ended up with a BRZ. S4 doesn't get driven much in the summer, wife and I will use the BRZ unless I need to use the S4 to carry more people or for hauling stuff.
    Mike

Veteran Member Four Rings Jimminez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 SQ5, 2004 Toyota 4Runner (dammit not dead)
    Items for Sale

Listen to your father, he seems smart. There is plenty of time in your life to have a nice car, first year of university is not one of them. You won't be driving it around town much, and if you do, you will prefer parking the Focus is many more places than a "nice" German car. Plus, a hatch is more practical for what you need anyway.

An $8k Focus will be more reliable and have a lower maintenance cost than a $8k B6S4. I sold my 2004 B6A4 in 2012 that had 208k km after four consecutive months of $800 per month maintenance costs, and I kept that thing very well maintained. Parts and labor for these cars is higher than any Ford repair.

Plus no university girl you want will be impressed by a 12-14 year old German sports sedan, especially one that you paid $8k.

And all the people trying to sell you their cars are pissy because they think their 12-14 year old German car is made out of gold and worth $20k or they know they need to dump $4k in repairs to make it run the way it is suppose to. No one who maintains their cars well would be trying to sell you one with a check engine light on.
    - Martin

Wheels for sale.

FS: BBS LM 21x10

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

For what it's worth, here's the cost of my old B7 A4 from the time I got it new until I got rid of it and picked up a used '10 S4.

Note the GIAC cost in there, not really a maintenance/repair item :) Rear tail light was due to some jackass that backed into my car at Markville mall and later had to go to an autobody shop to fix the metal that was all bent behind the tail light.

And this doesn't even include tires. Averaged about $1000 for tires whether they were winters or summers, replacing them every 3-4 years on average, so that was about $4300 over seven years. And factor in any cost if you need to purchase another set of rims ($1600 for a set of replica 17" RS4 rims).

Expect older Audi's to cost more - like anything else.
    Mike

Veteran Member Four Rings SleeperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jimminez View Post
    Listen to your father, he seems smart. There is plenty of time in your life to have a nice car, first year of university is not one of them. You won't be driving it around town much, and if you do, you will prefer parking the Focus is many more places than a "nice" German car. Plus, a hatch is more practical for what you need anyway.

An $8k Focus will be more reliable and have a lower maintenance cost than a $8k B6S4. I sold my 2004 B6A4 in 2012 that had 208k km after four consecutive months of $800 per month maintenance costs, and I kept that thing very well maintained. Parts and labor for these cars is higher than any Ford repair.

Plus no university girl you want will be impressed by a 12-14 year old German sports sedan, especially one that you paid $8k.

And all the people trying to sell you their cars are pissy because they think their 12-14 year old German car is made out of gold and worth $20k or they know they need to dump $4k in repairs to make it run the way it is suppose to. No one who maintains their cars well would be trying to sell you one with a check engine light on.
    This.
    – Steve / IG: @slpravnt

2005 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro MT
    • Comp Turbo Billet T3/T4 4756 • SPA clone manifold • Turbosmart ultragate • Forge 007 DV • 034 SPA 3" downpipe, de-cat & muffler delete • AEB head & intake manifold • EV14 750cc @ 4bar • Snow Performance Meth injection • Eurodyne Maestro • Bilstein PSS9 • OZ ultraleggera matte bronze • B5 S4 front brakes • 034 street density engine mounts • JHM B7 RS4 LWFW + clutch

Active Member Two Rings G_Wagon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I say ignore the haters, get u b6 s4 for under 10k that doesn't have a CEL, and that has had the timing belt/chain done...
    90% of b6 s4's in ur price range will already have the timing belt done...and the fact that the guy has 180k and hasn't changed it is a red flag for a car that hasn't been properly maintained.
    My best advice is be patient and u will find the right car for u

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Not being haters here, we're just making him aware of the running costs. For my B7 A4, that was $3000/year (even after factoring out the other non-maintenance items).

There's no such thing as an Audi that is as reliable as Toyota Corolla and even more so when that Corolla has received nothing by oil changes here and there. There's a reason why some people will get rid of the Audi once the CPO warranty ends.
    Mike

Established Member Two Rings tlaudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Worst idea ever.. please stay away.. all kinds of no
    08 A4|S-Line|Titanium Pkg|M6
    APR Stage 2|034 HFC|RS4 Sway Bar|JHM Short Shifter|Llumar Tint

Established Member Two Rings MattaudiS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RIP Babe: 2001 Audi S4 (Panzer IV)

I'd get a well maintained and clean A4 man. I've had a B7 A4 and 2 B5 S4's. I am a university student as well but after owning two B5's and some of the headaches they come with I wish I had just saved my money to get something that is consistent. The Civic Si with mild mods would most likely walk you. The B6 S4 is a boat, and if you pick a lemon up (which isn't to crazy hard to do) be ready to start dumping some change into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Similar to many others here, my daily driver for the time being is a b6 S4.

For someone with $50 a month to spend on maintenance, this is absolutely not the car for you. An oil change is nearly $100.

Tires are a killer.

This generation of S4 has an unforeseen amount of Gremlins and they add up fast. Leaky aux radiators, scorched cylinder walls, idler pulley squeaks are common issues that are easy to be overlooked and will cause catastrophic damage, not to mention timing chain guides.

You have your entire life ahead of you, don't buy a car you cannot afford to maintain. Not to mention it's going to be a constant worry between maintenance and where it's parked- as many intoxicated college kids will be wandering around it.

Do yourself a favor, keep the focus. Even if it's a piece, rock it dude. Own that shit. So what if you own a shit car? You're in college.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Yeah, ain't gonna work in college...cars take a beating in college...the travel...the idiots dinging ur ride up...drunk friends even piling in and tearing her up...
    In my college experience we all had beaters and we for sure gave them a beating

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    For what it's worth, here's the cost of my old B7 A4 from the time I got it new until I got rid of it and picked up a used '10 S4.

Note the GIAC cost in there, not really a maintenance/repair item :) Rear tail light was due to some jackass that backed into my car at Markville mall and later had to go to an autobody shop to fix the metal that was all bent behind the tail light.

And this doesn't even include tires. Averaged about $1000 for tires whether they were winters or summers, replacing them every 3-4 years on average, so that was about $4300 over seven years. And factor in any cost if you need to purchase another set of rims ($1600 for a set of replica 17" RS4 rims).

Expect older Audi's to cost more - like anything else.
    Wow, I don't even want to think about keeping track of exactly what I spend on Greta...I don't want to know

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by G_Wagon View Post
    Wow, I don't even want to think about keeping track of exactly what I spend on Greta...I don't want to know
    Who's Greta? Wife? Girlfriend? Total cost, priceless.

AZ Member #

, I think ur joking, but Greta aka the G Wagon is my a6 Avant...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Quote Originally Posted by G_Wagon View Post
    Is Greta more high maintenance? :D
    Mike

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 A3 2.0T Quattro (wifemobile)

I would say find a cheaper, easier to maintain, fun car. 350Z, S2000, etc.

Do NOT do a B6/7 S4.... They are good cars but you need a nice pillow of savings to be ready for anything.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon 6MT - Corsa Sport Exhaust... Otherwise stock.. Not for long.
    2012 MB C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Passport9500/LSD/RoW Airboxes/AfE ProDry Filters/Suntek/Michelin PSS- SOLD
    2011 B8 S4 - Deval/Apikol/Eurocode/Milltek/H&R/AWE/P3/EuroTechMS/APR/034/AvantGarde/Michelin- SOLD

Owner of Momentum Nutrition LLC
    www.momentum-nutrition.com
    @OfficialMomentumNutrition

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ENV² View Post
    I would say find a cheaper, easier to maintain, fun car. 350Z, S2000, etc.

Do NOT do a B6/7 S4.... They are good cars but you need a nice pillow of savings to be ready for anything.
    S2K is not cheap at all! Even a good condition 20 year old Civic can be over OP budget! My friends willing to pay over 10k for good condition 15+ years old vtec animal such as EG, EF, DC2R, DC5R, CL9 and S2K is already in the 30k territory. I feel bad for him not able to appreciate good car and with so narrow mind.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Is Greta more high maintenance? :D
    I'm single so Greta gets all my love🤧I mean money right now

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

Like most are saying, just enjoy college life, you are young.. have fun. Get a cool car later when you can truly afford one.. then enjoy it fully and not have to sweat it.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    S2K is not cheap at all! Even a good condition 20 year old Civic can be over OP budget! My friends willing to pay over 10k for good condition 15+ years old vtec animal such as EG, EF, DC2R, DC5R, CL9 and S2K is already in the 30k territory. I feel bad for him not able to appreciate good car and with so narrow mind.
    whoa your friend is crazy.. for the same price as a honda he can get an audi s4 b6 with way more hp and better looks...
    And thanks G-wagon that list really helped me realize what basically everyone said.. i cant really afford this car even tho its cheap to buy just knew that it would cost more to maintan but i thought, instead of like paying $30 for an oil change i was willing to pay double that so say $60 LOL guess I was really waaaay off hahahah
    Good thing there is the internet and google! you guys are lucky to have savings.. i love the car but hockey is expensive and school is expensive. By the way, the guy is was gnna buy the s4 from replied and said he can erase the light no problem and would give me a $1k discount to cover the timing chain even though its not gnna happen and says he has a friend that can fix it in brampton for cheap but right now im in ottawa so I can really take it to brampton. most shops in ottawa when i called werent even close to $1k so im not sure hows he gnna do that one.

AZ Member #

He can erase the light...but it will come back once the computer re loads

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MattaudiS4 View Post
    I'd get a well maintained and clean A4 man. I've had a B7 A4 and 2 B5 S4's. I am a university student as well but after owning two B5's and some of the headaches they come with I wish I had just saved my money to get something that is consistent. The Civic Si with mild mods would most likely walk you. The B6 S4 is a boat, and if you pick a lemon up (which isn't to crazy hard to do) be ready to start dumping some change into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    wait you think a civic with like basic mods will be quicker then the s4? cuz at the dyno (i was with him that day) it was only lik 216hp and the tuner guy that day said it was acutally pretty good
    so for teh same price i was jus thinkin i can have a better car (that was once 60k) for cheaper then his civic which is also slower
    i dont even know why ppl mod hondas cause they are just cheap economy cars that are slow and not even that fast when you mod it without going crazy of course but anyone can spend alot of money to make something fast

my other buddy really wants to me to test drive his miata but there oddly somewhat expensive. i did notice alot of miatas at the auto cross and thought at first cause they were cheap and no one would care if they crashed them cause its not that rare and special of a car

think i am gnna keep my eye on a regular a4 tho cause the bodystyle of the b6 is still really nice and maintenance will be normal

AZ Member #

ok, 1 last stupid question..

is there a cheaper audi to buy and maintain? for example, is the b6 a4 bulletproof? what about the a3? those are cheap now too and the hatch would be useful for my bag

Theres this one - the paint stuff looks like seller will fix

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

pretty cheap

and i like the wagon alot

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true

so all of these are cheap to maintain?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 BMW 335Xi

Ignore the doomsayers and get the b6s4. You only live once and chicks dig it.....

Sent from my SM-G903W using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings turbojayc's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Stretch your budget and buy this man, beautiful A4

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...avily-modified
    2016 SQ5 - Mythos Black
    H&R Sport Springs | ECS Spacers | CTS Turbo CAI | Black Optics | Custom Catback Exhaust | 22" Niche Targa M130 | RS Grill | Unitronic Stage 2+ with Pulley |

AZ Member #

Go with the Avant! Both A3's and the Avant are over priced...I think they should be in the $3,500-$4,500 range...and I'm sure u can get them down...

AZ Member #

Yea I like the avant will be looking at those now. My dad still thinks I'm an idiot hahha and says to focus on school and having sex
    Easy for him cuz he had his fair share of sports cars all muscle cars tho before buying accords
    I swear every 5-6yrs he just buys a new accord without even looking at an a4 even tho I know he can afford it
    Was that blue color only for a special version avant? Maybe I can plasti dip that color

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings claudiovagkraft's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 Avant USP, Mk1 GTI 20V project, B3 Passat VR6 wagon, Mk2 VR6 RIP

The silver avant is an ultrasport, manual. Very rare hard to find car these days. I'd say it's priced right. I have the same car in black. Took me 6 months to find mine in '08. Get a list of maintenance done on it. Ask about fuel pump, steering rack, last timing belt/water pump service, control arms. Those A3's are manual cars, which means they're not Quattro. A3's only came Quattro on the DSG cars. Call me crazy but you don't buy an Audi if it's not Quattro. If you want a 2WD VAG car then look at VW's, which I'm surprised no one has suggested. My first car in university was a a mk2 GTI. Such a fun and great little car for a student. Was cheap and easy to fix and mod. It eventually ended up with a tuned VR6, and upgraded from top to bottom. Back in the day was a real fast car. Eventually I graduated to an Audi.

If I were in your shoes I'd look at a mk5 or mk6 GTI. Plenty out there in your price range, you'll still get your German engineered car, lots of fun to drive, easy to mod, and look great inside and out. Don't get me started on Japanese interiors, absolutely horrible.

AZ Member #

Yeah...a Passat wagon would be great also

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by claudiovagkraft View Post
    The silver avant is an ultrasport, manual. Very rare hard to find car these days. I'd say it's priced right. I have the same car in black. Took me 6 months to find mine in '08. Get a list of maintenance done on it. Ask about fuel pump, steering rack, last timing belt/water pump service, control arms. Those A3's are manual cars, which means they're not Quattro. A3's only came Quattro on the DSG cars. Call me crazy but you don't buy an Audi if it's not Quattro. If you want a 2WD VAG car then look at VW's, which I'm surprised no one has suggested. My first car in university was a a mk2 GTI. Such a fun and great little car for a student. Was cheap and easy to fix and mod. It eventually ended up with a tuned VR6, and upgraded from top to bottom. Back in the day was a real fast car. Eventually I graduated to an Audi.

If I were in your shoes I'd look at a mk5 or mk6 GTI. Plenty out there in your price range, you'll still get your German engineered car, lots of fun to drive, easy to mod, and look great inside and out. Don't get me started on Japanese interiors, absolutely horrible.

thanks man im gon ask those exact questiosn and wait until i find a good one. funny how i started off with a b6 s4 and now i want an avant. well i dont really want an automatic so no a2 i guess. why would they not make the quatrro with a stick shift? stupid IMO

id only get an auto if i got a jap car