Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member Four Rings Tanner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabro View Post
    thanks man im gon ask those exact questiosn and wait until i find a good one. funny how i started off with a b6 s4 and now i want an avant. well i dont really want an automatic so no a2 i guess. why would they not make the quatrro with a stick shift? stupid IMO
    Because it's more efficient as they say (and unfortunately it is but i couldn't care about efficiency) and the # of manuals sold in North America is dismally low so it's not worth the cost for them to safety the car for this market and all of the other costs associated with it.
    Mike

Veteran Member Three Rings jschrauwen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A5 3.2 QTip, 00 A4 2.8 QTip, 90 300ZX TT 572whp 590wtq, Ducati TT2

I'll go out on a limb and say that you have never bought a car before and that Mom/Dad bought you your Ford Focus?
    That the Focus is registered in their name to minimize insurance costs?
    That your personal skills at rudimentary fault finding and basic maintenance tasks are close to nil?
    If any of the above is remotely close to the truth, I would suggest you give up on your euro car dreams (for now) and focus on your studies. The last thing you need as you begin your post secondary challenges is adding to them with potential worries of car reliability, car repair/maintenance costs, car insurance and car operating costs (gas and oil changes).
    You'll be much further ahead keeping the Ford Focus with cheaper insurance, better gas mileage and fewer and less costly maintenance costs. That is, ...... unless, Mom/Dad is going to pick up the tab, .... again?

Why do I say these things? Because I gave my daughter my 2000 A4 to use for university after I replaced it with an A5 in 2015 after 7 years of use having above the normal maintenance care. If you are not swayed by the above and are bent on an Audi, may I suggest to steer away from any of the turbo applications and stick with a naturally aspirated one. My A4's 2.8L and my A5's 3.2L engines are both bullet proof and less expensive to maintain.
    My $.02
    2008 A5|Ice Silver|3.2 QTip|Premium Pkg|Technology Pkg|B&O & JL10W0-4 sub|15/20mm spacers|HID Fogs|Ext. & Int. LED's|RS5 grill|AWE/K&N Intake|Quad tipped OEM mufflers|Facelift Ecode Tail lights|CR-15 Strut Bar|AFS-1 Ecode headlights|Alu Kreuz

Veteran Member Four Rings BryanR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8tqm Avant

B5/6/7 S4
    C5 A6/Allroad

Top cars I tell clients to run away from and not even consider due to maintenance costs. They've usually been through multiple hands at this point, neglected, and finding a clean well maintained example is a needle in a haystack.

VW GTI definitely a more sensible car with limitless aftermarket/parts availability.

General rule of thumb for any used car purchase; buy as new as you can with the least amount of kms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

ok Alphabro there you have it you even have BryanR a guy who makes a living working on these advising you not to... if you still do it lol. The GTI is a great option.. fantastic car, lots of fun, you're gonna love it... great car. :D

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

jschau: yea my dad pretty much gave me this focus when he got a new accord but its under my name. i ddidnt really even think of putting it under his name cause wouldnt it still be his if i did that? the car is mine though cuz we transferred it as a gift or something like that i dont remember the details much but its under my name on registration. The focus has been great and has gotten me to school, practice, every barn for hockey without issues and i do like it jus one day i was on kijij and saw an s4 was pretty much the same price as my focus... so i was like, i could upgrade for free but yea not really hahahah

i coach, ref and get paid pretty ok so i though hey, maybe if maintenance was double, id be OK but turns out its more like x20 LOL (if you count prevenative maint, extra gas, parts and everythign else everyone mentioned). Im ok doin basic stuff like fluids and brake pads but not even sure if i cud do that on the audi if it needs special stuff who knows never owend one

and thanks for everyones help - really nice of u guys to tell me to buy something else even this is an audi forum ahhahah
    I had a great team party trip and got two kills this weekend so yea gnna focus on school, hockey and sex basically what my dad said..

The golf gti to be clear tho - is reliable like my focus? they're affordable but not super cheap like the s4 considering the s4 was like 60-70k car new. The gti was 30k.
    and why does everyone (my friends) keep on recommending me to get jap cars? their kinda ugly and not sporty. I like that brz but its expensive and only 200hp i think maybe more for a new one
    My dad says get a mustang when i finish school and get a job he likes muscle cars but drives an accord now that hes old hahah

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spa View Post
    ok Alphabro there you have it you even have BryanR a guy who makes a living working on these advising you not to... if you still do it lol. The GTI is a great option.. fantastic car, lots of fun, you're gonna love it... great car. :D
    yea pretty much.. no more audi for me but i think u guys saved me some money
    more beer money i guess!

Established Member Three Rings G_Wagon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Don't they make a super sporty focus hatchback?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

I like that brz but its expensive and only 200hp i think maybe more for a new one
    Surprised to see you mention the BRZ when you're looking at an Audi :) Gutless wonder, reminds me of the original AE86, wife likes it as it handles like her old 944. Makes the driver work hard to eek out every little bit out of the car, personally get a lot more driver fun out of this versus the B8 S4, partly because of it's handling (and only 2800 lbs).

Quote Originally Posted by G_Wagon View Post
    Don't they make a super sporty focus hatchback?
    Yes, Focus RS.
    Mike

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Surprised to see you mention the BRZ when you're looking at an Audi :) Gutless wonder, reminds me of the original AE86, wife likes it as it handles like her old 944. Makes the driver work hard to eek out every little bit out of the car, personally get a lot more driver fun out of this versus the B8 S4, partly because of it's handling (and only 2800 lbs).

Yes, Focus RS.
    haha you guys got me thinking anything but the audi s4 at this point
    my friends really like the frs/brz its really popuplar with kids my age it seems but its still too expensive right now. ive never driven one but it does look good.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

my friends really like the frs/brz its really popuplar with kids my age it seems...
    Hah, and I'm over 40 yo. But it does seem to sell to the younger kids and the ones that had or knew about the original AE86 (thus the older people).
    Mike

Veteran Member Three Rings jschrauwen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A5 3.2 QTip, 00 A4 2.8 QTip, 90 300ZX TT 572whp 590wtq, Ducati TT2

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Hah, and I'm over 40 yo. But it does seem to sell to the younger kids and the ones that had or knew about the original AE86 (thus the older people).
    The Ae86 seems to be some sort of kid culture thing in Japan. And what seems to be popular there seems to spill to the younger crowd here.
    I owned a new 82 SR5 Corolla and a new 83 Celica. Both were ok, but nothing special. And both were very gutless. The most fun car I ever owned was a 74 Fiat X 1/9.
    Now I'm dating myself. lol
    2008 A5|Ice Silver|3.2 QTip|Premium Pkg|Technology Pkg|B&O & JL10W0-4 sub|15/20mm spacers|HID Fogs|Ext. & Int. LED's|RS5 grill|AWE/K&N Intake|Quad tipped OEM mufflers|Facelift Ecode Tail lights|CR-15 Strut Bar|AFS-1 Ecode headlights|Alu Kreuz

Established Member Two Rings BrandonS's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Triumph Daytona 675R

I'm going to chime in here. After owning a MK4 GLi, MK5 GTI, C5 A6 Avant, B7 S4, B8 A4 and now a B8.5 S4...I can say that my most reliable cars were the GTi and the A6 ( I cant comment on the B8.5 S4 because its too new and has full warranty). My B7 S4 had everything but a blower and was fairly reliable but when it broke it was not cheap to fix. The B6/B7 S4 is by far the worst vehicle for someone on a budget. When the timing service needs to be done (it will if it hasn't been done already) requires the engine to be pulled out of the car and expect a $6000-$8000 bill for a job done correctly. Fuel consumption is another downfall, I would average about 350-375km per tank under normal driving conditions at roughly $65-$70 to fill. I would highly suggest either keeping your current car or getting something equally as reliable while you are in school. Save the Germans for when you're done and aren't on a budget. Just my $0.02

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Awesome cars, I had a B6 S4 not long ago, was bullet proof when I had it. But, like others have said, it sounds like you are on a really tight budget and repairs on any old car will happen. Plus, that motor guzzles gas. Amazing motor, and sounds incredible but since you're commuting long distance, why would you want a V8 guzzler?

Save your money as a student for school stuff and trips would be my 2 cents. Keep your Focus.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

If you have to have an Audi, the perfect car for you is for sale on here right now, it is a beautifully built B5 A4, it looks like a show car and the price is fine. You'll never find an S4 that is mint for this price. I think it is local to you.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...avily-modified

Established Member Three Rings G_Wagon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinaudi View Post
    If you have to have an Audi, the perfect car for you is for sale on here right now, it is a beautifully built B5 A4, it looks like a show car and the price is fine. You'll never find an S4 that is mint for this price. I think it is local to you.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...avily-modified
    Beautiful car, but this guy doesn't need a race car with almost 300k on the clock and no AC

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by G_Wagon View Post
    Beautiful car, but this guy doesn't need a race car with almost 300k on the clock and no AC
    Race car! Lol