Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: New B9 RS5

AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Very true as well. Living near DC, I'm completely fine not driving a manual hah.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@SupremePower's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 S3, '16 SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by PEM View Post
    Right! Cruising in any vehicle(probably a convertible) that has a decent exhaust note on a nice day on some backroads. Perfect conditions for a stick-shift IMO
    Yes sir! For me, I only like manual trucks. Hell, I always wanted a manual 4runner. Still think that would be a cool worker.

Perfect example though... I have a TT 4.2 R8 at the house right now. Gated MT was neat for a day or two. But that car revs so fast, and moves so fast, I don't need the task of changing gears. When you're really working the car, it's a nuisance.

All of this said, I'm not sure there is any auto from more than a decade ago I'd select over the manual. Seems like the good DCTs appeared around 2005 or so?
    ADV.1 | AG | Advan | APR | AWE | BBS | BLK | Brembo | Capristo | 034MS | Forgeline | GMG | H&R | Klassen | Milltek | Modulare | OZ | Stoptech | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Use code Mops13 for 13% off your Adams Polishes order!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Johnhanson View Post
    I still love driving my friends' manual cars but honestly it's getting hard to justify them.
    I am lucky, at my age, that I don't have to justify much any longer... or so my wife sez. :(

Established Member Four Rings mopaNi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hey I said rpm control. I didn't say one was better than the other. LOL
    Chad | 2013 S5 Premium+ 6MT Estoril

Senior Member Four Rings Hippyshakes's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Mercedes M350

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@SupremePower View Post
    I like making revving noises when I row you.
    Oh the visual. Vroom vroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Build Thread []RS5
    Stock: 2014 RS5 Cabriolet | Panther Black Crystal | Driver Assist | MMI Pkg. | Alu Optic
    Mods: Signature SV302's 20"x10.5| Capristo Exhaust | eCodes | Eventuri Intake-Manifold-Slam Panel |

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@SupremePower View Post
    Seems like the good DCTs appeared around 2005 or so?
    Wasn't it Porsche that started the ball rolling on this one with the original PDK?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 S3, '16 SQ5

Wasn't it Porsche that started the ball rolling on this one with the original PDK?
    IDK, I quit following what I could not afford a decade ago. I was thinking A3 lol.
    ADV.1 | AG | Advan | APR | AWE | BBS | BLK | Brembo | Capristo | 034MS | Forgeline | GMG | H&R | Klassen | Milltek | Modulare | OZ | Stoptech | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

AZ Member #

"Showroom availability of the Doppelkupplungsgetriebe wouldn’t happen until the mid-cycle refresh plans for the 2005 911, Boxster, and Cayman, this time featuring seven forward gears." src: http://blog.caranddriver.com/shift-t...transmissions/

You were spot on with 2005 LOL

Senior Member Three Rings Johnhanson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by mopaNi View Post
    Hey I said rpm control. I didn't say one was better than the other. LOL
    Funny you mention rev control. I was driving with my kid in the back a couple days ago on the freeway. Around 110-120 kph you can play "Mary had a little lamb" by shifting from I think between 3rd 4th and 5th. I don't think that's what the DCT was intended for but it shows pretty good rev control I think.

2013 Audi RS5 Coupe | Phantom Black | Everything except ceramics | Capristo | Eventuri | 15/10 H&R | Rotors when it's cold | V-Spokes when it's warm
    2015 BMW X5 35d Msport | it runs on kerosene | notsport | baby seat

dead and gone.....
    2012 BMW X6 50i | it had a bike rack
    2010 Ram 1500 | hhhhemi
    2008 Mazda RX-8 | it go-karts
    2006 Infiniti G35 coupe | my lady
    1998 Eagle Talon esi | no turbo powers

AZ Member #

The new auto's are awesome. And as mentioned the new gimmicks are very capable.

But you are giving up control to the car. And there are circumstances the auto can't do what a good driver can do with RPMs in a manual.

I like others were pro-manual all day long. But I'm not afraid to say this will be my last manual and rightly so. That actually was part of my decision process when buying my car.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 S3, '16 SQ5

"Showroom availability of the Doppelkupplungsgetriebe wouldn’t happen until the mid-cycle refresh plans for the 2005 911, Boxster, and Cayman, this time featuring seven forward gears." src: http://blog.caranddriver.com/shift-t...transmissions/

You were spot on with 2005 LOL
    I thought that felt right

What was SMG? It's been around for nearly 20 years. One electric clutch? I remember disliking it a lot.

AZ Member #

SMG was BMW's variant of the dual clutch in the E46 M3 and it was garbageeeee lol.

Edit: Not their variant(as in not a DCT), but competition (LOL) to the PDK.

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

SMG was BMW's variant of the dual clutch in the E46 M3 and it was garbageeeee lol.

Edit: Not their variant(as in not a DCT), but competition (LOL) to the PDK.
    Well, it preceded the dual clutch. Same tech as Lambo E-Gear or R8 R-Tronic, and a handful of other supercars.
    -Hayden

Registered Member Four Rings GSS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Cayenne, '15 X5, '15 Passat, '14 S5

Autos no matter how good will never replace the feeling of a manual. Both have their ups and downs. I intend to always have one manual in my garage.

ig: gs.autogram

'16 S5 3.0T S tronic / Glacier White / Black

'14 S5 3.0T 6MT / Glacier White / Black

'10 S5 4.2 6MT / Brilliant Black / Black

AZ Member #

Negative. Porsche was already developing and even racing with PDK trans in the 80s. Third to last paragraph of that link I posted.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

Negative. Porsche was already developing and even racing with PDK trans in the 80s. Third to last paragraph of that link I posted.
    Automated manuals existed long before then, but nonetheless I was not referring to the development- rather, to the rollout in production sports cars. To argue that the semi-manual was not a predecessor to the DSG seems odd to me (both as far as timeframe and tech) but you're free to your opinion.

SMG launched in 1997 on the E36 M3. Ferrari launched their F1 trans in the mid 90s, and Lamborghini (E-Gear), BMW with the M3/M5/M6, Audi (with the R8), Aston Martin, etc... all implemented automated manuals well before implementing DSGs.
    -Hayden

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post
    Automated manuals existed long before then, but nonetheless I was not referring to the development- rather, to the rollout in production sports cars. To argue that the semi-manual was not a predecessor to the DSG seems odd to me (both as far as timeframe and tech) but you're free to your opinion.

SMG launched in 1997 on the E36 M3. Ferrari launched their F1 trans in the mid 90s, and Lamborghini (E-Gear), BMW with the M3/M5/M6, Audi (with the R8), Aston Martin, etc... all implemented automated manuals well before implementing DSGs.
    Last I checked we were talking about the SMG, not a variant like what's included in all of the above vehicles you're posting. You're right that it was originally included in the E36 M3, nor was I wrong in saying it was in the E46 M3. E46 M3 just stood out much more because of how widely hated it was and that was also the period when I first started getting into cars. Porsche could've had the PDK out in 1991 to consumer production cars, but decided not to, probably due to issues. Maybe if BMW did the same thing, it wouldn't have been such a dud. It's a wonder why all of those other trans you listed in addition to SMG never lasted, while the PDK is still going strong.

But hey you seem to be the expert in transmission here so have at it lmao. I'm basing all my facts off that 1 porsche PDK article and wiki.

AZ Member #

...and in the meantime the fastest production car in the world uses... six-speed manual transmission! :)

AZ Member #

Tesla's have one gear.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    ...and in the meantime the fastest production car in the world uses... six-speed manual transmission! :)
    What is the fastest production car and in what respects? 0-60 or top speed? Because 0-60 times i'm pretty sure is owned by Tesla, and top speed by Bugatti IIRC?

Registered Member Four Rings GSS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Cayenne, '15 X5, '15 Passat, '14 S5

You mean that glorified kit car?

ig: gs.autogram

'16 S5 3.0T S tronic / Glacier White / Black

'14 S5 3.0T 6MT / Glacier White / Black

'10 S5 4.2 6MT / Brilliant Black / Black

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mopaNi View Post
    Tesla's have one gear.
    Hitler only had one ball... :(

- - - Updated - - -

What is the fastest production car and in what respects? 0-60 or top speed? Because 0-60 times i'm pretty sure is owned by Tesla, and top speed by Bugatti IIRC?
    How does 0 to 200mph in 14 seconds sound? :)

AZ Member #

Hitler only had one ball... :(

- - - Updated - - -

How does 0 to 200mph in 14 seconds sound? :)
    I hope you're not talking about some one off Hennessey lmao. Because if so, that's not a "production car".

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

But hey you seem to be the expert in transmission here so have at it lmao. I'm basing all my facts off that 1 porsche PDK article and wiki.
    I wasn't looking to get into an argument, and am not going to continue beyond this post. Not sure why you felt attacked. I was only meaning that the PDK was obviously a much more advanced technology than the SMG, and BMW launched their own dual clutch trans (DCT) shortly after the launch of PDK.
    -Hayden

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post
    I wasn't looking to get into an argument, and am not going to continue beyond this post. Not sure why you felt attacked. I was only meaning that the PDK was obviously a much more advanced technology than the SMG, and BMW launched their own dual clutch trans (DCT) shortly after the launch of PDK.
    Sorry still hyped up from all that competition talk a page back. We got some friendly fire LOL and I apologize. But yes I agree PDK is king. With how the new RS5 is looking, depending on how it looks in person and how it drives, next car might have to have PDK in it haha