Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Which car to buy?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm looking for an upgrade!
    I've had a B7 A4 S Line 2 litre turbo 6 speed for the last 3 years and love it but I need a bigger car now and something newer.

I'm looking at a 2010 to 2013 A6 or a A5/S5.
    I need a 4 door so the S5 here (Australia) is the 3 litre supercharged.

I was wondering which engine has the most potential for mods in those lines?

3 litre tdi
    3 litre supercharged
    4.2 V8
    Or any other?
    I've read something about a 3 litre tdi twin turbo? Is that right and is it any good?

And help would be great!

Thanks

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Anyone?

Veteran Member Four Rings B-Time's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S4 / e30 325is m52, e30 caged, e36 M3

Wow, didn't realize there is a 4door 5. 4.2 is the runt of the litter. The 3.0t has a lot of hp potential. I know very little about the the TDI, but would guess it could become a torque monster. Have driven it in a Q7 and was ample to get that pig moving. Take a look at charts from the big tuners. I went from the 2.0t to 3.0t and couldn't be happier, completely different game.

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorex View Post
    Anyone?
    The 3.0T (supercharged) is the one to get! A tune and pulley upgrade will put you north of 450hp reliably.

I'm not familiar with the TDIs but I imagine the power can't touch the 3.0TFSI.
    -Hayden

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Ok, that's what I thought. A6 3.0 supercharged it is then. Thx for your input.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 BMW M3

4,2 V8 has limited tuning for the price, and they are ticking time-bombs. Skip!!
    BMW F80 ///M3
    Former:
    BMW F30 340i M Sport ZTR
    Audi B7 S4 25Quattro
    Audi B5 A4

Follow me on Instagram: RagingDuck

Senior Member Three Rings ak_siberian's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5 AND 2008 V8 & V6 FSI Touareg

He's Down Under so I assume the 4.2L is the diesel version. The 4.2L gas is great, at least in my Treg but I don't think they sell that one in Perth! The ultimate if it was torque you're after, was the V10 Touareg.

siberian
    The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 BMW M3

Quote Originally Posted by ak_siberian View Post
    He's Down Under so I assume the 4.2L is the diesel version. The 4.2L gas is great, at least in my Treg but I don't think they sell that one in Perth! The ultimate if it was torque you're after, was the V10 Touareg.

siberian
    Oh, that explains it. I had to ditch my 4.2 V8 petrol years ago. Would not recommend.
    BMW F80 ///M3
    Former:
    BMW F30 340i M Sport ZTR
    Audi B7 S4 25Quattro
    Audi B5 A4

Senior Member Three Rings ak_siberian's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5 AND 2008 V8 & V6 FSI Touareg

Tell me more, what was up with the 4.2L gas one? The diesel is not sold here (as it would cost over 100 grand) and they don't do great in the cold. The V10 though diesel was great torque wise, heck they even have a video on youtube showing a Touareg V10 towing a 747. But they smallest thing requires a drop of the engine or about 20 hours of work just to get it it out and in.

So what's wrong with the V8 or am I just lucky? I assume you're talking about the 4.2 FSI right not the previous generation with the timing belt etc.

siberian
    The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 BMW M3

Tell me more, what was up with the 4.2L gas one? The diesel is not sold here (as it would cost over 100 grand) and they don't do great in the cold. The V10 though diesel was great torque wise, heck they even have a video on youtube showing a Touareg V10 towing a 747. But they smallest thing requires a drop of the engine or about 20 hours of work just to get it it out and in.

So what's wrong with the V8 or am I just lucky? I assume you're talking about the 4.2 FSI right not the previous generation with the timing belt etc.

siberian
    4.2L for the B7 S4. I don't remember if it was FSI, but I don't think so. The FSI was for the first gen R8 I think. My 4.2 had a timing chain, which was meant to eliminate servicing... at least that was the intention. In reality it DID need servicing, especially the chain guides, which would wear out to the point of breaking and grenading your engine. Too bad the service required an entire engine pull. My V8 was a notorious oil drinker and also highly susceptible to cylinder scoring. My engine was on the verge of in need of a $13k replacement, so I ditched the S4 as fast as I could.

Don't quote me on this, but the FSI has it's own issues, but not as bad as my non-FSI. Cylinder scoring was still an issue, but that's with FSI engines in general.

EDIT: I'd like to add that a big contributor to pre-mature maintenance issues with the 4.2L in the S4 was the amount of heat generated in such a small compartment for the engine. Of course, the way you drive is also a big factor, and the S4 was a hard driving sports sedan that had mostly hard driving owners. :)
    BMW F80 ///M3
    Former:
    BMW F30 340i M Sport ZTR
    Audi B7 S4 25Quattro
    Audi B5 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

siberian
    You have a 4.2 FSI in your Touareg. They are pretty stout.

The B6/B7 S4 had a timing chain 4.2 but it was not the FSI, and was prone to timing chain guide failure and cylinder scoring.
    -Hayden