Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring T_Southern's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Ram 2500 2015 Audi A4 2003 VW Passat 2004 VW Passat

2.0T "Whining" noise

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 2008 A4 Quattro, however I think the engine is pre 2007. It's making a noise, sort of like a power steering pump might make if it's going bad, and it increases with the RPM. Sounds to be coming from the middle/rear of the valve cover. Note, the car makes the noise in park, drive, neutral, wherever...also makes it without the accessory belt on, so that rules out the P/S pump, A/C, and alt. Has anyone had this issue, or have a clue as to what it could be? Here's a link to a video
    https://youtu.be/dBzRMKT7wMw

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings 80sGuy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Miele S7

I posted a thread about this similar situation about five years ago when my car had 27K miles. It is now at 62K and I still have that same noise like before. It is a very faint whining noise, not as noticeable and only occurs when I let go of the gas pedal. This seemed to be a common issue with our cars no matter what drivetrain. Other than that it drives fine.

2008 A4 2.0T | Dolphin Gray Metallic/Dk Gray | multitronic | Bluetooth | Dk Wood | Convenience. | Premium. | Sprt Susp. | Bare-bone 100% factory stock!

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    my bike
    Items for Sale

I have a car that made a very similar noise after being starved for oil. Ended up being the turbo. I would be hesitant to boost hard in that car or at all until you can get the turbo out and give it an assessment and rebuild. Kits are only 20-30 online and are a walk in the park to do Getting the turbo out and cleaning it is honestly the harder part.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

Where does the emperor keep his armies?

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Usually that whining noise is a woman, at this time woman and your car have 1 thing in common, love for money.

Sounds like turbo, grab a long screw driver while cars running and lightly touch it to the turbo while running, put our ear on the opposite side of the driver. You'll be like Dr. Mechanic and should be able to better pin point the noise. My guess as above is turbo. But check the timing chain housing too, might have had something break in there that cud make strange sounds too.
    4 turbos (soon 5), 2 motors, 1 B7 A4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canadianA4B7 View Post
    Usually that whining noise is a woman, at this time woman and your car have 1 thing in common, love for money.

Sounds like turbo, grab a long screw driver while cars running and lightly touch it to the turbo while running, put our ear on the opposite side of the driver. You'll be like Dr. Mechanic and should be able to better pin point the noise. My guess as above is turbo. But check the timing chain housing too, might have had something break in there that cud make strange sounds too.
    I love the woman comment, I'm only 16, so the woman thing, isn't really an issue at the moment. However, by timing chain housing, do you mean on the cams? I've never had a 2.0 apart, only the 1.8 on my brothers Passat. So I don't know if they're the same or what not. I'm putting one of those engine stethoscopes on it this evening after I get home from school, before I tear into things. Thanks for your input guys.

Established Member Two Rings Van Black's Avatar
    AZ Member #

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buzs...5IwprwRyyNqDT5

This guy has a decent video on that timing chain
    -Alex

07 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro,Rebuilt engine, BPG pistons, S-line, RNS-E with Bose and a whole lot of attitude!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

2.0T "Whining" noise

Well, today I realized that if you are cruising at about 2 or 3,000 rpm without your foot on the throttle much, you don't hear it. However you do if you give it gas and hold it anywhere in that rpm range. Sounds like a turbo to me

Established Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'd agree that it's a bad bearing noise, the timing chain issue is in my mothers car, that's more like a diesel than a whine

Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.