Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

HID to Halogen possible?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello everyone, first post here!

I have been having a lot of issues with my factory HID headlights (dipped lights, flickering, randomly shutting off) and I'm not sure if I want to continue to deal with the expense and hassle they provide.

I was wondering if it was possible to convert from my HID headlights to one of those Halogen aftermarket headlight housings with the LED DRL's.

I know you can convert from Halogen to HID, but I can't find anything on doing the reverse.

Thanks for any help!

Veteran Member Three Rings noob5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is there any indication of which side is setting the dipped warning?
    Can you scan for codes via vagcom?
    My initial guess is that your ballast(s) need to be replaced.
    But first try to switch bulbs to opposite sides to see if the error follows.
    if yes, replace bulb.
    If not, replace the ballast.

As for your question, I've no idea.
    13 allroad Monsoon | APR Stg2/hi-flow cat/downpipe | H&R Springs
    07 RS4 Imola | JHM 93/Stg4 clutch/Shifter trio/Intake spacers | 034 trans mount/linkage arms | Stoptech rotors/pads | Milltek DP's | ECS H-Pipe/motor mounts/rear diff mount
    04 allroad 2.7T Alpaka | APR Stg1 | Arnott coil conversion | H-Sport
    99.5 A4 2.8Q Volcano Mica | ST
    Gone:
    95 90 SportQ Laser
    02 S4 Santorin | EPL Stg3 | ER | AWE | SouthBend | APR | 034 | KW | H-Sport
    10 Q5 Brllnt Blk

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Cadillac CTS ballasts are the same (around the same model years of your looking). And are found for cheaper. I bought 2 of them for $130+shipping.

I've also got a set of oem halogens from my car. They've been blacked out, and clear cornered. For the right price I'll sell. We cud also work a deal for yours in some sort of trade.
    4 turbos (soon 5), 2 motors, 1 B7 A4

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Both bulbs flicker and go off every 5-10 minutes of driving. It's quite annoying. My mechanic friend is convinced it's the ballasts. But the price is just scary and they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by canadianA4B7 View Post
    Cadillac CTS ballasts are the same (around the same model years of your looking). And are found for cheaper. I bought 2 of them for $130+shipping.

I've also got a set of oem halogens from my car. They've been blacked out, and clear cornered. For the right price I'll sell. We cud also work a deal for yours in some sort of trade.
    Can you post a link to the CTS ballasts? The only CTS ballasts I found that would fit an audi were for the b6 models.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

272327637264, 161995331084, 272504610724. I think I found them on these retailers listings. But the one below I ordered and have 1 now. 1 from another retailer I'm looking for the item numbers.

252476854268 This one I ordered.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

272327637264, 161995331084, 272504610724. I think I found them on these retailers listings. But the one below I ordered and have 1 now. 1 from another retailer I'm looking for the item numbers.

Those don't look like they have the same connecting port as the ballasts in my b7 A4. Are those for a b6 audi?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2524768...&ul_noapp=true

Check out this link. I think these are closer in resemblence to the b7's ballasts.

Senior Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

There are 2 types of Bi-Xenon headlites that comes on the B7 A4 platform. 1 has the curved option and the other doesnt. Both have different type of ballasts
    APR KO4 ,S3 Inj, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Controller,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST Coil Overs, 034 RSB,034 St Density Mtr Mts, New South Vent Boost Gauge, Front B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. S6 19 inch rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Ya I thought they looked odd. I can't find the exact purchases in Ebay app? Anyone know why it only loads a few recent purchases and not all purchases? Maybe I shud be looking on web site not app?

I remembered now that yes mine are non curve. (I ordered curved initially from wolf auto on eBay they were $89.99/ ballast)
    Last edited by canadianA4B7; 01-14-2017 at 05:12 AM.

Established Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

HID to Halogen possible?

Guys guys guys. I have the solution!

You can buy my halogens and I'll take your broken hid's for shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    Guys guys guys. I have the solution!

You can buy my halogens and I'll take your broken hid's for shipping

Already offered mine so get in line!!!

I have a set of NEW un molested bixenons at home in boxes! If your interested in those!

AZ Member #

Already offered mine so get in line!!!

I have a set of NEW un molested bixenons at home in boxes! If your interested in those!
    Haha of course

Hmmm you can pm me if you'd like but is there a particular reason you haven't done anything with them?

Eric

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

No one has told me if it's even possible to convert from HID to Halogen, so I can't even consider those offers!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Ya I thought they looked odd. I can't find the exact purchases in Ebay app? Anyone know why it only loads a few recent purchases and not all purchases? Maybe I shud be looking on web site not app?

I remembered now that yes mine are non curve. (I ordered curved initially from wolf auto on eBay they were $89.99/ ballast)
    I already took my bumper off to check out the bulbs and the ballasts. The ballasts in the link I posted are identical it seems to the ones in my car! Do you guys think they would work?
    What's the difference between the curved ballasts and the other?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by paul03 View Post
    No one has told me if it's even possible to convert from HID to Halogen, so I can't even consider those offers!
    Of course it is, that's what makes halogen to hid possible. All you do is swap in the halogens, I think you may need to disconnect (cut) a wire that the hid's need for high beam but halogens don't, and you vag com the car for it to know it's got halogens.

Boom done lol

Oh and you would need to probably make a custom pigtail from a halogen car (like get a connector, cut your wires and wire it up or swap the pins etc) as halogen to hid needs an intermediary connector to supply power correctly and such

Eric

Established Member Four Rings james12lucy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Custom built, 440cc Midget, w 89 WHP. 2009 GSXR 600/750 w 129 WHP

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    Of course it is, that's what makes halogen to hid possible. All you do is swap in the halogens, I think you may need to disconnect (cut) a wire that the hid's need for high beam but halogens don't, and you vag com the car for it to know it's got halogens.

Boom done lol

Oh and you would need to probably make a custom pigtail from a halogen car (like get a connector, cut your wires and wire it up or swap the pins etc) as halogen to hid needs an intermediary connector to supply power correctly and such

Incorrect. It is NOT that easy. Actually, it's ridiculously challenging.

You'd need to repin the connectors, remove the high beam pin, move it, recode it, and more. Can it be done? Likely, but no one has. I looked into it previously, but there is no good way to get high beams to work on the halogens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    B7 Avant, 6MT, Quattro - Brilliant Black

JHM 93 Octane Stage 2 tune, APR HPFP, S3 Injectors, JHM Test Pipe, Stasis Catback, R8 coils, 034 TIP, Carbinio CIA, 18" VMR 710, Podi Digital Boost Gauge, RS4 rear sway bar, RS4 grill, Eurojet Billet VC, 42DD catch can, Ohlins SL Coilovers w/ Hyperco springs, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, GFB DV+.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by james12lucy View Post
    Incorrect. It is NOT that easy. Actually, it's ridiculously challenging.

You'd need to repin the connectors, remove the high beam pin, move it, recode it, and more. Can it be done? Likely, but no one has. I looked into it previously, but there is no good way to get high beams to work on the halogens.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I guess there is a reason why no one does it... lol. I guess I just need to look into getting some ballasts. Is there a way to for sure find out if the Cadillac DTS would work with my audi? they're a lot cheaper, and seemingly the same ballast for both cars.

Senior Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

I guess there is a reason why no one does it... lol.
    No one does it because its going ass backwards. Everyone on goes from halogens to Bi-Xenons because its a grade..... Not the other way around
    APR KO4 ,S3 Inj, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Controller,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST Coil Overs, 034 RSB,034 St Density Mtr Mts, New South Vent Boost Gauge, Front B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. S6 19 inch rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I'm still new to Audi's! I'm starting to figure that out though. I love how bright the HID's are. I think fixing them is my best bet for sure

Established Member Four Rings james12lucy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Custom built, 440cc Midget, w 89 WHP. 2009 GSXR 600/750 w 129 WHP

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I guess there is a reason why no one does it... lol. I guess I just need to look into getting some ballasts. Is there a way to for sure find out if the Cadillac DTS would work with my audi? they're a lot cheaper, and seemingly the same ballast for both cars.
    Ask CanadianA4B7, he has the setup now. I could always swing by his place and hook his lighting setup to my harness to test it out.

If I recall correctly, the step down to halogen isn't just hard, it's impossible to code. The reason there is an extra wire for high beams when going the other way is because the Xenon have an extra pin in the headlight housing. There is no way to actually build an extra pin/port in the halogen lights to make it work. In fact, I looked at the spare bixenon lights and kuftec harness I have kicking around. Halogen side (from BCM) has 6 pins, Xenon side (headlight housing) has six pins plus extra wire (which runs directly to high beam switch). Unless there is some magical way to retrofit an extra pin/ port into the headlight housing, this isn't going to happen.

But who knows, I'm just speculating and could be completely wrong.

B7 Avant, 6MT, Quattro - Brilliant Black

JHM 93 Octane Stage 2 tune, APR HPFP, S3 Injectors, JHM Test Pipe, Stasis Catback, R8 coils, 034 TIP, Carbinio CIA, 18" VMR 710, Podi Digital Boost Gauge, RS4 rear sway bar, RS4 grill, Eurojet Billet VC, 42DD catch can, Ohlins SL Coilovers w/ Hyperco springs, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, GFB DV+.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

i think op shud just grab bulbs and ballasts and keep rolling in style w bi xenons. Regardless of cost or me getting another set of xenon headlights you'll regret it. I've heard good reviews of ppl swapping halogens to LEDs. But not applicable here. Guy on here has done lots of light (fly.... Something) he'll likely know the ultimate answers.

AZ Member #

i think op shud just grab bulbs and ballasts and keep rolling in style w bi xenons. Regardless of cost or me getting another set of xenon headlights you'll regret it. I've heard good reviews of ppl swapping halogens to LEDs. But not applicable here. Guy on here has done lots of light (fly.... Something) he'll likely know the ultimate answers.
    No issues with not having projectors when going to led's?

Also coding it is the easiest part lol, you just go in and tell the car it has halogens lol

I wonder how the halogens do high beam vs oem xenons

Eric

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

LED bulbs can be bought in place of halogen to my knowledge but I have not tried. Wonder if anyone has tried to fit a aftermarket HID bulb/ballast setup into halogen housings? If not I might have to buy some bulbs as I just had a shipment of slim 55W HID ballasts delivered (upgrading family cars one at a time to 55W hid headlights and yellow fogs).

AZ Member #

LED bulbs can be bought in place of halogen to my knowledge but I have not tried. Wonder if anyone has tried to fit a aftermarket HID bulb/ballast setup into halogen housings? If not I might have to buy some bulbs as I just had a shipment of slim 55W HID ballasts delivered (upgrading family cars one at a time to 55W hid headlights and yellow fogs).
    I didn't read about it and I'm sure you can, people do it on other cars. The issue is though without a projector you will be blinding everyone else on the road dangerously as if you drove with your high beams on everywhere, that's why most people won't do it

Eric

Veteran Member Four Rings papadelogan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 F250 7.3 Powerstroke

Is Phil (fly300kts) still offering to service the ballasts to resolve the flickering issue? Phil fixed the ballasts in my sedan and after that I had zero issues with them. I only had 1 that was flickering, but I did both at the same time to ensure I didn't have to revisit the issue. Phil is VERY well known on this forum for the quality of his work and helpfulness, so if he still does offer that service, I would suggest you get your ballasts to him ASAP.

Going from OEM HID/Xenon to halogen would be a massive downgrade and reduce your visibility significantly. Would you go from your B7 to a Model T? Not likely...
    2007 Ibis White B7 A4 Ti Avant 6MT quattro JHM Stage 2, HFC, Milltek CatBack, GFB DV+ "the YETI"

2005.5 Black B7 A4 6MT quattro sold

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by papadelogan View Post
    Is Phil (fly300kts) still offering to service the ballasts to resolve the flickering issue? Phil fixed the ballasts in my sedan and after that I had zero issues with them. I only had 1 that was flickering, but I did both at the same time to ensure I didn't have to revisit the issue. Phil is VERY well known on this forum for the quality of his work and helpfulness, so if he still does offer that service, I would suggest you get your ballasts to him ASAP.

Going from OEM HID/Xenon to halogen would be a massive downgrade and reduce your visibility significantly. Would you go from your B7 to a Model T? Not likely...
    I've heard about him from nickscarblog.com! Do you know how I can get in contact with him? Do you have a rough estimate of what he charged compared to purchasing brand new ballasts?

Thank you!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Search using his name in the top right corner fly300kts. That shud bring up posts he has commented in. Shoot him a pm, I know he usually is pretty quick to respond. But as life goes on for all of us I know he gets busy as ever and sometimes is a few days to answer. Getting his work done will be far less then buying new ( stealership quoted me $575/ballasts and no happy ending I had asked and u get nothing but the ballast). As I mentioned I paid pretty cheap for used ballasts, might send him mine for repair before spring time when car will be released from its storage.