Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings JayTeeC's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Q7, B5 A4 1.8T K04 (sold); E83 BMW X3

Shopping A5, few questions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Been around Audis a long time but new to the B8 platform and the coupe. Looking at 2011 A5 around 75k miles, finding them around $16k (nothing specific yet; likely pre-facelift to save money but I do like the 13's of course). Probably a Prestige, and S Line. Currently driving an 07 S4 6 speed. So my questions -

Overall reliability - i know the 2.0T is a good motor, and timing belt job would be looming. What else? Any other areas of maintenance or trouble to know about? How was the oil consumption issue in 2011? Is carbon buildup an issue on these 2.0TFSI?

Power - I know i'm losing about half my horsepower (360 now) and definitely a few ticks off the quarter mile. What is the average hp and quarter mile specs for chip and exhaust on these? Maybe downpipe, but likely no front mount or big turbo. Consensus on best tuner (bang for buck)?

Trans - How is the paddle shifting 8-speed? Will i miss the manual too much? Is there a trans chip for it? Worth it?

THANKS in advance for any comments. I know its all been covered here on the forums, but I didnt see a Sticky for this type stuff and just dont have time for all the searches.

long shot... Anyone selling one like this? Prefer black, white, dark gray, and with chip and exhaust already would be nice!
    long shot... Anyone want to buy a 2007 S4 DTM, black on black 6 speed with cats and exhaust? 75k mi, $19k
    2007 S4 DTM 6MT Brilliant Black
    Europa exhaust & DIY pigs | 034M rear sway | 034M snub | B5 front spring perches

Active Member One Ring jmazzabufi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'd like to hear also. I got the 2011 Cab A5 with 39k miles 4 months ago, mint condition. I've only done Stage 1 and it really wakes it up. I'd like stage 2 but don't want the hassle of switching back every 2 years to test. No paddle shifters but the tiptronic works great. I like the smooth quiet ride but it does growl when you get on it. The best of both worlds. Lots of cool features to keep you warm and cool and low wind buffeting. After 2k miles, still full of oil. Hasn't dropped a bit. Great car overall!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Nissan Versa

around 75K just make sure services are done, aka carbon cleanup, plugs, coil packs. Mine is at 82K and still happy with it. As long as previous owner follows the service intervals you should be good; check carfax and see. On trans, I got a 6mt, so cant answer that one.
    '11 Bagged B8 A5 6MT Prestige/Black Optic/B&O/Airlift/Rotiform/AWE/Superstar Customs/Markland Designs/ABT Sportline/SPC/CF Splitter/CF Trunk Lid
    IG: mv_428

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by JayTeeC View Post
    Been around Audis a long time but new to the B8 platform and the coupe. Looking at 2011 A5 around 75k miles, finding them around $16k (nothing specific yet; likely pre-facelift to save money but I do like the 13's of course). Probably a Prestige, and S Line. Currently driving an 07 S4 6 speed. So my questions -

Overall reliability - i know the 2.0T is a good motor, and timing belt job would be looming. What else? Any other areas of maintenance or trouble to know about? How was the oil consumption issue in 2011? Is carbon buildup an issue on these 2.0TFSI?
    No timing belt...has a chain. Oil consumption may be an issue, as the 2011 model year was before they switched to improved piston rings. But a lot of cars got the rings swapped if the cars were eating a lot of oil. Carbon buildup doesn't seem to really be an issue at all on these engines. The complaints seem almost non-existant.

Veteran Member Four Rings shonseb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Audi A4 P+ competition plus, '15 Audi A3, '99 E320

Here's a thread on the A4 forums, pretty much exactly the same car except the A4 has 4 doors while the A5 has 2.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...uestion-Thread

A big problem with these engines in teh early years was oil consumption. Also Be sure and replace the timing chain tensioner when you get up in miles (~80k+).

If you're expecting the tiptronic to be anything like a manual, it is not. However, I think that also depends a lot on the paddle shifters. The '14+ paddles are much better than previous years, and make it easier to enjoy, but it's not a manual and the transmission makes you feel that. The RS stronic does a much better job with replacing the manual transmission and IMO is better than a manual. I know APR makes a tune for the S4/5 Stronic, but not sure if they have one for the tip.
    If you're craving the power you got from your V8, you won't get it unless you go K04 or EFR. Engine flashing can be done through APR, GIAC, REVO and Eurodyne (off the top of my head).