Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings GTA's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8TQ, 5-Spd

B6 HID to Halogen headlight conversion

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My HID headlights are dim. They're a bit brighter after taking both sides apart and cleaning the sh!t out of everything. I've even adjusted the aim higher using VCDS but they're nothing like what even a newer Toyota Corolla's HID would put out in terms of intensity.

I've searched the threads but they all want to convert halogens to HID's, not the other way around. I really don't want to spend $$$ to change out the DS1's and the ballasts. And I've found someone local who's selling a pair of OE halogens cheap.

So my question is whether or not anyone has done this. If so, did it throw off all kinds of warnings, errors, etc? Mine has the light level sensors front and rear so that may throw codes and what-not.

Any ideas?
    It's mind over matter. But if you don't have a mind, it really doesn't matter.

Veteran Member Four Rings MurkyRivers_A4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Tools, boxes of random car parts, 55 gal drum of used oil

Quote Originally Posted by GTA View Post
    My HID headlights are dim. They're a bit brighter after taking both sides apart and cleaning the sh!t out of everything. I've even adjusted the aim higher using VCDS but they're nothing like what even a newer Toyota Corolla's HID would put out in terms of intensity.

I've searched the threads but they all want to convert halogens to HID's, not the other way around. I really don't want to spend $$$ to change out the DS1's and the ballasts. And I've found someone local who's selling a pair of OE halogens cheap.

So my question is whether or not anyone has done this. If so, did it throw off all kinds of warnings, errors, etc? Mine has the light level sensors front and rear so that may throw codes and what-not.

Any ideas?
    If you take the fuse out for the level sensors you wont have a warning light.

I believe you can just plug them in and they will work. You may need to recode, via VCDS, ofr halogen lights as opposed to xenon's, which you are coded for now.
    HIS: '03 A4 APB Powered 6spd Q
    HERS: '08 A3 2.0TFSI DSG SLine

IG: @murky_rivers

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If you take the fuse out for the level sensors you wont have a warning light.

I believe you can just plug them in and they will work. You may need to recode, via VCDS, ofr halogen lights as opposed to xenon's, which you are coded for now.
    Cool. Nice to know. I guess my next question is whether or not the halogens are bright enough. This may be a loaded question but all I want is to be able to see at night on dimly lit highways and side roads, which my current lights don't seem to do.

Veteran Member Four Rings MurkyRivers_A4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Tools, boxes of random car parts, 55 gal drum of used oil

Cool. Nice to know. I guess my next question is whether or not the halogens are bright enough. This may be a loaded question but all I want is to be able to see at night on dimly lit highways and side roads, which my current lights don't seem to do.
    Halogens wont work nearly as good as xenon's but poorly functioning xenon's might be worse. It really just depends on how bad they are.

You could always retrofit new projectors (morimoto?) which would make a huge difference in your light output.

@evo_ski and @JUSADUB both know how to do this and may even have DIY's.
    HIS: '03 A4 APB Powered 6spd Q
    HERS: '08 A3 2.0TFSI DSG SLine

IG: @murky_rivers

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah, I've read about the Morimoto projector retrofits but I'm a little skeptical on the intensity differential to the stock ones. It seems so subjective to me and the pictures of light output may not do them justice. I may have to re-read those posts and re-evalutate.

Thanks.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

the morimoto kit is worth the money, especially if you do the bizenon kit

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Chances are the ceap OEM halogens have this same tired projectors so the light output definitely won't be better. Dunno about the B6 halogens but for example the B5.5 Passat halogens suck, even with a HID bulb.

I am kinda disappointed with the OEM HID. Not the worst, but its probably the only thing I feel the car lacks.

Are stock ballasts 30W? Maybe 50 ballasts can be retrofitted.

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Which HID's do you have, there are multiple versions.
    Single-xenon 2.5" or bi-xenon 3", which is notorious for having bad-shape bowls (not optimized for low-beam) and on top of that, the Al PVD coating burns off.

It's hard to beat Toyota because not only is Toyota high-end luxury Lexus, but it's Japanese, which has good lighting such as from Koito, and people still use Japanese parts for retrofits, such as from Lexus, Acura, Honda, etc.

Halogen bulb is probably an H7 55w. Some have upgraded to H7 65w, which maybe Osram used to make as an H9 on an H7 base, off-road/rallye. Maybe now there is an 80W. More power. Not sure if that means enough to melt a stock (non-heavy-duty aftermarket) harness, or create too much heat around the bulb.
    IDK what difference it makes that new base-model cars (such as MB CLA) have their halogens (an old technology) in an open reflector, whereas B6 focuses it through a projector/lens.

Not sure why you'd "spend $$$ to change out the ballasts".
    But yes, genuine D1S HID bulbs are expensive. But they also should last 10yr/2000hr.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Chances are the ceap OEM halogens have this same tired projectors so the light output definitely won't be better. Dunno about the B6 halogens but for example the B5.5 Passat halogens suck, even with a HID bulb.
    I'm not sure if HID bulbs play well with halogen projectors, aren't they uniquely designed/tuned for their respective intended bulb? Not sure if I've seen it done.
    However we've all seen blinding eBay 9000k HID's put into halogen reflectors, blinding.

I am kinda disappointed with the OEM HID. Not the worst, but its probably the only thing I feel the car lacks.
    If it's a stock bi-xenon HID, "kinda disappointed" would be an understatement. You can't even tell the lights are on. It's like somebody holding a wax candle inside of a tin can. Don't pull up along side anyone trying to have a competition, unless it's a Ford Model T.

However, supposedly there's up to 4 already-done-and-known retrofit options for that specific housing. PreciseD has a DIY on installing later-gen Bosch/AL E46 projectors, which came in many cars, even up to Lamborghini Aventador and R8. However, to achieve that level of functional performance required a sacrifice. luvsspeed has to cut a spacer from kitchen cutting board, to fit and retain use of original ballast, but now that blocks access to rear mounting screw. I think PreciseD spent a few dollars extra to fit new slim ballasts, to avoid that.

Are stock ballasts 30W? Maybe 50 ballasts can be retrofitted.
    I think 35W.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I put DDM HIDs in my GF's elantra halogen projectors and its only the cleanest and nicest light output even compared to OEM HIDs. Yea the Passat was a disaster with the ddm kit. Depends from car to car. Not all halogen replacements are bad.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I put DDM HIDs in my GF's elantra halogen projectors and its only the cleanest and nicest light output even compared to OEM HIDs. Yea the Passat was a disaster with the ddm kit. Depends from car to car. Not all halogen replacements are bad.
    It might be cleanest and the nicest light output...but its still a Hyundai😝
    J/K
    I have stock halogens on my a4 and I put some osram nightbreaker bulbs in and they are just flippin awesome. I can even see the squirrels screwin in the bushes haha.

Veteran Member Four Rings JUSADUB's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Do a clear lens swap and new bulbs. I also have brand new Depo ecode projectors D1S that you can swap in if there single xenon. I bought new depo ecodes and took them right out to do my Morimoto mini h1 7.0 swap.
    BrownBag on vwvortex
    USP CLUB MEMBER #142
    Instagram: e_geeezy

B6 A4 Avant 1.8TANK
    12 Tiguan SEL
    15 Mk6 GLI

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'll post only because I just dealt with this. I had bixenon headlights in my car and they were so dim it was scary driving at night. I wanted to go to halogens. I called ecs and they told me that you cannot code xenon to halogen, only from halogen to xenon.

So I ordered some ebay depo headlights and the improvement was phenomenal. I enjoy driving at night now. I just took out fuse 10 for the leveling motors and no warning light on the dash. Huge upgrade for a couple hundred bucks.

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by gilber33 View Post
    I'll post only because I just dealt with this. I had bixenon headlights in my car and they were so dim it was scary driving at night. I wanted to go to halogens. I called ecs and they told me that you cannot code xenon to halogen, only from halogen to xenon.

So I ordered some ebay depo headlights and the improvement was phenomenal. I enjoy driving at night now. I just took out fuse 10 for the leveling motors and no warning light on the dash. Huge upgrade for a couple hundred bucks.
    Referred to this above, I guess it's up to whoever to decide. OE Bi-xenon bowls burn. Same design used in certain Touareg and Cayenne, maybe more. evo_ski didn't have this with his but it was because they were brand new.
    Might as well try to light up the road with a yellow highlighter circle drawn on a piece of cardboard.
    Although I think Diagnosticator ran 2.5" single-xenon rare e-codes, modded to use B5 S4 parts or something, with cheaper D2S bulb.
    That pic does look good though...
    I heard people (including old guy) were disappointed with DEPO projectors, and swapped in OE single-xenon 2.5".

vs. what comes in some new cars that I think PreciseD paid $60/set for, more of a bowl shape:

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Spike00513 View Post
    I heard people (including old guy) were disappointed with DEPO projectors, and swapped in OE single-xenon 2.5".
    Depo projectors are pretty much garbage. Buy them for the housing, then swap in either OEM 2.5" single xenon projectors, or (better option) the TRS mini-H1 7.0 bixenon retrofit kit
    2002 A4 2.0TQ 5M. 235k+ mi

FWD->AWD
    Bische tuned GT2871R/630cc, JHM RS4 clutch, ER Comp FMIC, BB stealth exhaust
    DIY 4:1 diff, B5 1.8T trans
    custom bixenon e-codes, USP front lip, Zender spoiler, DTM sideskirts, S4 rear
    Stoptech 355mm front / B7 S4 rear brakes, Eibach COs, 034 RSB, Sportec Mono 10s
    B6 S4 Recaros, Euro shift knob, JHM SS + linkage, B7 console, RS4 pedals, oCarbon blue CF trim
    RNS-E, TT-RS MFSW, color cluster, Alpine PDX-v9, Polk DB-6501, DA sub/LosLabs box

AZ Member #
    My Garage

OK. It seems there are more options than I had originally thought. My OE's are single xenon for the lo-beam and the hi-beams are halogen.

Since I'm a noob to these upgrades, I have a couple of questions:

1) What are depo lights/projectors?
    2) And what are e-codes?

At this point, I'm just thinking about just replacing the OE projector lenses (as a first step) with the TSX-R lenses from Morimoto because they're cheap enough at $50/pair. Does this sound reasonable as an upgrade to the OE lenses? Would this make any difference to the light intensity with the stock DS1 and ballasts?

I'm only interested in the low beam upgrade as a safety thing. Not at all interested in blinging out the car. I just want to be able to stay on the road at night and keep everything else stock.
    Last edited by GTA; 01-12-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings MacFady's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    330i ZHP

...for example the B5.5 Passat halogens suck, even with a HID bulb.
    That goes without saying, putting HID bulbs in a halogen housing does nothing but blind other drivers with an unfocussed HID beam blasting in all directions.

I have a couple of questions:

1) What are depo lights/projectors?
    2) And what are e-codes?
    1. Depo are an aftermarket headlight manufacturer, projectors is referring to them being HID headlights. In the first picture in Gilber33's post you can see the HID projector lense in the center versus the naked halogen bulb on the right. You can also nicely see this lense in the second of the pictures Spike posted.
    2. ecodes are European version headlights

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I have been thinking about S4 headlights and upgrade the lens on them with a new set of ballasts. Currently my B6 3.0 has the 2.5" lenses. I head somewhere that the S4 units have the bigger lens. Anything on these is an improvement. Aiming and cleaning can do so much. I honestly feel that the new D1s Morimoto bulbs I installed helped, but could be much better with more powerful/newer ballasts.

Senior Member Four Rings SJorge3442's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I upgraded the lens on my single xenons about 4 months ago. It was the best thing I ever did to my b6. At the same time I refinished the outer lens and my light output is through the roof. I cant wait to see what happens when I change out my bulbs in the coming months. Clear lens FTW.
    2003 Three . Oh , 6 Speed, Quattro. 143k. I barely drive anymore so much less for me.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Not sure why you'd "spend $$$ to change out the ballasts".
    But yes, genuine D1S HID bulbs are expensive. But they also should last 10yr/2000hr.
    I've heard ballasts do tend to dim light output after time. And mine are originals, I believe, so they're 13 years old.

1. Depo are an aftermarket headlight manufacturer, projectors is referring to them being HID headlights. In the first picture in Gilber33's post you can see the HID projector lense in the center versus the naked halogen bulb on the right. You can also nicely see this lense in the second of the pictures Spike posted.
    2. ecodes are European version headlights
    Thanks!

I upgraded the lens on my single xenons about 4 months ago. It was the best thing I ever did to my b6. At the same time I refinished the outer lens and my light output is through the roof. I cant wait to see what happens when I change out my bulbs in the coming months. Clear lens FTW.
    Did you use the Morimoto TSX-R lenses? And were there any mods to make them fit in the single-xenon housings? My outer lens/housing is clear and in good shape.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SJorge3442 View Post
    Will be upgrading to the TSX lenses this weekend and waiting on "new" valeo ballasts.

E

AZ Member #

I've heard ballasts do tend to dim light output after time. And mine are originals, I believe, so they're 13 years old.

Thanks!

Did you use the Morimoto TSX-R lenses? And were there any mods to make them fit in the single-xenon housings? My outer lens/housing is clear and in good shape.
    Yes. I used the Morimoto TSX-R lenses. No mods. Just pull the projector out and put the TSX-R lens in. I used blemish lenses, cause they are only $20. How can you argue that?
    2003 Three . Oh , 6 Speed, Quattro. 143k. I barely drive anymore so much less for me.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

At this point, I'm just thinking about just replacing the OE projector lenses (as a first step) with the TSX-R lenses from Morimoto because they're cheap enough at $50/pair. Does this sound reasonable as an upgrade to the OE lenses? Would this make any difference to the light intensity with the stock DS1 and ballasts?

I'm only interested in the low beam upgrade as a safety thing. Not at all interested in blinging out the car. I just want to be able to stay on the road at night and keep everything else stock.
    when you remove the projectors to change out the lenses, you're likely to discover the projector bowls are scored/blackened and the reason for your poor light output. If your OEM single xenons are in good shape, I'd throw the TRS mini-H1 projector kit in there -- it will be a massive improvement.
    2002 A4 2.0TQ 5M. 235k+ mi

FWD->AWD
    Bische tuned GT2871R/630cc, JHM RS4 clutch, ER Comp FMIC, BB stealth exhaust
    DIY 4:1 diff, B5 1.8T trans
    custom bixenon e-codes, USP front lip, Zender spoiler, DTM sideskirts, S4 rear
    Stoptech 355mm front / B7 S4 rear brakes, Eibach COs, 034 RSB, Sportec Mono 10s
    B6 S4 Recaros, Euro shift knob, JHM SS + linkage, B7 console, RS4 pedals, oCarbon blue CF trim
    RNS-E, TT-RS MFSW, color cluster, Alpine PDX-v9, Polk DB-6501, DA sub/LosLabs box

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spike00513 View Post
    Referred to this above, I guess it's up to whoever to decide. OE Bi-xenon bowls burn. Same design used in certain Touareg and Cayenne, maybe more. evo_ski didn't have this with his but it was because they were brand new.
    Might as well try to light up the road with a yellow highlighter circle drawn on a piece of cardboard.
    Although I think Diagnosticator ran 2.5" single-xenon rare e-codes, modded to use B5 S4 parts or something, with cheaper D2S bulb.
    That pic does look good though...

vs. what comes in some new cars that I think PreciseD paid $60/set for, more of a bowl shape:

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're saying in any of your posts.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
    when you remove the projectors to change out the lenses, you're likely to discover the projector bowls are scored/blackened and the reason for your poor light output. If your OEM single xenons are in good shape, I'd throw the TRS mini-H1 projector kit in there -- it will be a massive improvement.
    Surprisingly, I didnt have any scoring or blackening on my single xenons when I installed the clear lenses. For $20 and about an hour of labor, its hard to beat the upgrade. Sure the mini H1's arent much more (i believe $120), its still an extra $100 I could spend elsewhere. I'd like to see a side by side of the TSX-R lenses next to the H1 retrofit kit.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^^ I was also surprised that my projector bowls were in great shape with no disfigurement or anything when I took them apart to clean them.

If I can get more light out of my existing hardware, I think I'll be happy.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Can someone clarify which European cars cone with e-codes. Maybe my euro bro can heel me up from a salvage yard.

Veteran Member Three Rings agentsmith988's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Can someone clarify which European cars cone with e-codes. Maybe my euro bro can heel me up from a salvage yard.
    Every Euro-Spec Audi will have e-codes (halogen or HID). It's just a different cut-off pattern to meet local regulations there.

- Steve
    USP CLUB MEMBER #163

NKAWTG
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP | Motoza tuned F21L MF | Treadstone TR6 | 034 HFC | Bosch 550cc Injectors | 3" MAF | FT 3" TIP | FT HF Exhaust Manifold | Hyperboost DV | FSI Coils | BKR7EIX-11 | B7 A4 Brakes/HPS 5.0 | Bixenons Q5-R | B5 Perches | Podi EBG | A5 MFSW/A3 Airbag | B7 Console | Dynavin N6

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Oke so are all european HIDs the coveted big projector e-codes?

AZ Member #

Oke so are all european HIDs the coveted big projector e-codes?
    I'm guessing you're talking about the 3" bi-xenon projectors? If so, no. They have both the single xenon and bi-xenon variations in Europe as well.
    - Steve
    USP CLUB MEMBER #163

NKAWTG
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP | Motoza tuned F21L MF | Treadstone TR6 | 034 HFC | Bosch 550cc Injectors | 3" MAF | FT 3" TIP | FT HF Exhaust Manifold | Hyperboost DV | FSI Coils | BKR7EIX-11 | B7 A4 Brakes/HPS 5.0 | Bixenons Q5-R | B5 Perches | Podi EBG | A5 MFSW/A3 Airbag | B7 Console | Dynavin N6

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
    Depo projectors are pretty much garbage. Buy them for the housing, then swap in either OEM 2.5" single xenon projectors, or (better option) the TRS mini-H1 7.0 bixenon retrofit kit
    Thats what I did.
    BrownBag on vwvortex
    USP CLUB MEMBER #142

B6 A4 Avant 1.8TANK
    12 Tiguan SEL
    15 Mk6 GLI

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith988 View Post
    I'm guessing you're talking about the 3" bi-xenon projectors? If so, no. They have both the single xenon and bi-xenon variations in Europe as well.
    Oke, so in NA the A4 only has the single and in EU they also have the 3" on the A4 as an option? I keep reading about the 3" "ecodes" that they are supposed to be awesome.

Established Member Two Rings All_Euro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04’ A4 Avant 1.8T & 05' GLI 1.8T_4 mo.

Quote Originally Posted by SJorge3442 View Post
    Surprisingly, I didnt have any scoring or blackening on my single xenons when I installed the clear lenses. For $20 and about an hour of labor, its hard to beat the upgrade. Sure the mini H1's arent much more (i believe $120), its still an extra $100 I could spend elsewhere. I'd like to see a side by side of the TSX-R lenses next to the H1 retrofit kit.
    Great to hear the clear lens upgrade made such a big difference... my xenons are pathetic - will check for bowl scoring and likely order the clears as a starting point.
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiA4Turbo22's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 Audi A4 1.8TQ Tip, '14 Mbz E63 S-AMG, '02 GMC Sierra Denali, '75 DJ5 Postal
    Items for Sale

Never thought I'd see the day a thread like this would come about. Most all the OG's with halogens spent fortunes converting to HID and you want to do the opposite.

Buy some new D1S bulbs for $50 and they will work like new. As long as your bulbs are lighting up that means your ballasts are firing.

Easy and cheap fix.
    -Kirk
    AZ's First 2.0 Stroker 3076R Powered Tiptronic B6 Built by RavenMS. Powered by PSI Concepts & GIAC

BetaAlphaTau Member #58

"The last time someone tried to put GRAMMAR in their shit it caused a massive over boost and their motor shit the bed." - Turbavanttro

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4Turbo22 View Post
    Never thought I'd see the day a thread like this would come about. Most all the OG's with halogens spent fortunes converting to HID and you want to do the opposite.

Buy some new D1S bulbs for $50 and they will work like new. As long as your bulbs are lighting up that means your ballasts are firing.

Easy and cheap fix.
    Not ture. Problem with OEM xenons are the projector lens. The projectors lens are "Fresnel". Which dim the output and soften the beam pattern.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/kn...earlenses.html

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader700 View Post
    I have TSX-R 2.5" lens from TRS

Here is before (on top) after (on bottom)

Sent from my finger tips using Tapatalk

Also read here too.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...de-(PIC-heavy)
    Last edited by JUSADUB; 01-12-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    BrownBag on vwvortex
    USP CLUB MEMBER #142

B6 A4 Avant 1.8TANK
    12 Tiguan SEL
    15 Mk6 GLI

AZ Member #

Burnt projector bowls are the biggest cause of poor light output in our aging headlights. The Fresnel lens is a factor too, but the bowls are the main contributor. Find a suitable 2.5" or 3" replacement projector (Morimoto, Q5-R's, etc) and you'll be blown away.

I run a set of 3" Q5-R's I picked up from retrofitlab.com in some NA S4 bi-xenon housings. Paired with some Osram Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs, I'm one happy camper driving at night.
    - Steve
    USP CLUB MEMBER #163

NKAWTG

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah, eh?!? As mentioned, my current xenon lows are OK in the near field (~20') but further out, the intensity drops way off, and in the middle of the night at speed, they can't keep up. This makes some drives kinda hairy into turns and such - especially on snow or slush covered roads.

I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of TSX-R's for $50 to replace my DOT Fresnel's, so we'll see if it makes any noticeable improvements. If they arrive next week, I'll replace them next weekend at my buddy's garage, where it's heated

I'll find some way to add to the collection of before and after pictures when they're done. I also have to find out what's causing my lights to bounce when going over rough bumps when I have the housings apart. I've read that the ball/socket for the motor may have come undone. We'll see.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Yeah, eh?!? As mentioned, my current xenon lows are OK in the near field (~20') but further out, the intensity drops way off, and in the middle of the night at speed, they can't keep up. This makes some drives kinda hairy into turns and such - especially on snow or slush covered roads.

I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of TSX-R's for $50 to replace my DOT Fresnel's, so we'll see if it makes any noticeable improvements. If they arrive next week, I'll replace them next weekend at my buddy's garage, where it's heated

I'll find some way to add to the collection of before and after pictures when they're done. I also have to find out what's causing my lights to bounce when going over rough bumps when I have the housings apart. I've read that the ball/socket for the motor may have come undone. We'll see.
    You will be much happier.
    BrownBag on vwvortex
    USP CLUB MEMBER #142

B6 A4 Avant 1.8TANK
    12 Tiguan SEL
    15 Mk6 GLI

Established Member Two Rings SilverB6Quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 BMW 325

FYI, you can switch from HID--> halogen. I had the same problem when I got my B6 A4, dim/flickering bulbs. I bout Deop e-codes and swapped them in, removed the headlight leveling fuse and used VCDS to recode it from HID to Halogen so I wouldnt get a code and it worked perfect. But then I bought Morimoto 35W kit and put that in then recoded back to HIDs but left the fuse unplugged because I dont have leveling motors in.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by JUSADUB View Post
    Not ture. Problem with OEM xenons are the projector lens. The projectors lens are "Fresnel". Which dim the output and soften the beam pattern.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/kn...earlenses.html

Also read here too.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...de-(PIC-heavy)
    Thanks for telling me what I already knew. The conversation here is not about what beam pattern is sharper or clearer, it was strictly about removing HIDs for halogens. Most HID projectors that come OEM have Fresnel lenses, they distribute light more evenly and eliminate hot spotting. Having clear lenses does make for a sharp cut off, but that does not mean you have better light output on the road, it just means you have more light at the cutoff area.
    -Kirk
    AZ's First 2.0 Stroker 3076R Powered Tiptronic B6 Built by RavenMS. Powered by PSI Concepts & GIAC

BetaAlphaTau Member #58

"The last time someone tried to put GRAMMAR in their shit it caused a massive over boost and their motor shit the bed." - Turbavanttro

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Pal the issue has to do with your bulbs. Once the bulbs age, they produce less and less light, because the voltage required to keep the bulb burning gets to a level the ballast cannot support. This is why the older bulbs give off more of a purple color than white or blue. Replace your D1S bulbs and you will be amazed at how much better you will see.
    -Kirk

BetaAlphaTau Member #58