Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Three Rings Mr. Spectacular's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Next Spectacular Project (S5 Spoiler)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I had great fun with the custom cubby boxes I made but I felt it was time to retire that project after the most recent round. They were fun but took pretty much everything out of me each round I did and working with that stuff just isn't pleasant. On top of that, my workspace changed with less flexibility for all the nasty work. I did get curious about carbon fiber though since there are many similarities between the two, it's a bit more pleasant to work with, and it's cool lol

I set myself up with a workshop to play around with the stuff. First project was to overlay a few bench tops with it since i needed to get used to it anyways and needed non-permeable tops.

Anyways, I decided a couple months back that I'd give the spoiler a shot. I was to start it up w couple weeks ago and finally have a shape I believe I'm happy with.

Started out by taking the shape of the trunk itself for a nice fit

Then onto making a nice and sexy curve for the profile of the spoiler itself

And finally finishing it off

Here she is fitted

Next up I'll get her prepped and molded to make a carbon fiber version.

More pics to come.....
    Last edited by Mr. Spectacular; 01-11-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Senior Member Three Rings SLU_S5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Awesome work!!!!! Wish I had your craftsmanship abilities and more time at my disposal. You're about to make a small fortune if you're trying to sell them - Lots of interest in that type of design.
    2010 S5 Prestige 6MT: B.Black:
    APR: Intake // AWE: Touring + non-res DPs, S-Flo filter // CR-15: Brace // ECS: LWFW, Diff Mounts, SS Brake Lines // Eurocode: AK, Sways // JHM: Tune, Short Shifter // KW: H.A.S. // OEM+: RS5 BBK, 20" RS5 Rotors, Ecodes // SBC: Stg 2 Daily // USP: SS Clutch Line, LEDs // 034 Motorsport: Intake Pipe, Trans & Engine Mounts, ACAs // Others...

IG: @SLU_S5

Senior Member Three Rings ip428's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Nissan Versa

great work man!
    '11 Bagged B8 A5 6MT Prestige/Black Optic/B&O/Airlift/Rotiform/AWE/Superstar Customs/Markland Designs/ABT Sportline/SPC/CF Splitter/CF Trunk Lid
    IG: mv_428
    ACNA Member

Veteran Member Three Rings fasteddy91's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Great work man! Are you making these in carbon fiber only or will you making these in fiberglass as well? What do you think these will run?
    2014 Misano red A5. S line Competition Package 6spd.
    APR stage 1 flash - 034 motorsports transmission mount - AWE Quad Exhaust - CF Atlas trim - JHM short shifter-Mirrors and Blades painted Misano Red - Ziza interior LEDs- CR-15 upper strut bar- ECS Silicone intake hose with afe pro dry filter - Niche Targa M129 19x10 with 265/35/19 Hankook evo2 tires - S5 trunk lid - ECS carbon fiber engine cover- H&R OE Springs

Veteran Member Four Rings Beast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I need a ABT RS5R replica, in blue CF

2015 Audi []RS5: Sepang Blue | Black Optics |
    AWE Non Res | Ecodes |Modulare Forged
    Past: 2012 Audi A5. Sline: Phantm Blk

IG@ RS_Five

Veteran Member Four Rings chrissurfr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

impressive
    2017 Cement Grey TRD Pro 4runner
    2014 Suzuka Grey RS5 >:)
    • Lots of black satin wrapped stuff
    • AWE Track Exhaust with center muffler straight piped
    • H&R Street Coilovers
    • BBS CH R - Titanium finish
    • eCode headlights
    • funky floormats
    • Eventuri intake
    • Carbon fiber seat trim
    • Carbon fiber dash trim

Senior Member Two Rings soulvxr6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    yamaha r6, mountain bikes

Very nice
    Leo
    2013- s5m /Roc euro intake /Awe track w. Non res dp /Rs5 style black grill / H&R Sport Springs /034 inserts/GIAC stg 1/ Vff-103
    2002- a4 1.8tqm

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SLU_S5 View Post
    Awesome work!!!!! Wish I had your craftsmanship abilities and more time at my disposal. You're about to make a small fortune if you're trying to sell them - Lots of interest in that type of design.
    Thank you sir! haha we'll see. I would love the opportunity to make some for members if they'll have me lol. I enjoy these kind of projects so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ip428 View Post
    great work man!
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by fasteddy91 View Post
    Great work man! Are you making these in carbon fiber only or will you making these in fiberglass as well? What do you think these will run?
    My thoughts are carbon fiber only at the moment. I'm trying to get away from fiberglass, but what makes you ask? Not sure what they'd run because I need to evaluate material costs and time spent to get them in finished condition. I should get to play around with some molds later this week to have a better idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I need a ABT RS5R replica, in blue CF
    Hmm..is that a challenge?? Could be fun actually. As i play with CF more and more I'm excited to see what things I can create.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissurfr View Post
    impressive
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by soulvxr6 View Post
    Very nice
    Thank you!

Veteran Member Four Rings Beast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

haha yep a challenge, let me know when you are ready. ABT quoted me 8K for it -_-
    2015 Audi []RS5: Sepang Blue | Black Optics |
    AWE Non Res | Ecodes |Modulare Forged
    Past: 2012 Audi A5. Sline: Phantm Blk

IG@ RS_Five

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Nice job on this! I've been looking for S5 spoilers without much luck.

Any thought on making the design slope a little less upward? Something along the lines of the Caratere spoiler.

I believe SLU was onto something with his custom spoiler. Basically a less in your face version of the enlaes spoiler. I'd def be interested in that

Senior Member Three Rings SLU_S5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by scmtkings4 View Post

Any thought on making the design slope a little less upward? Something along the lines of the Caratere spoiler.

I believe SLU was onto something with his custom spoiler. Basically a less in your face version of the enlaes spoiler. I'd def be interested in that
    Yup that's my spoiler. Couldn't find anyone that could help produce copies of my design on a mass scale unfortunately...
    2010 S5 Prestige 6MT: B.Black:
    APR: Intake // AWE: Touring + non-res DPs, S-Flo filter // CR-15: Brace // ECS: LWFW, Diff Mounts, SS Brake Lines // Eurocode: AK, Sways // JHM: Tune, Short Shifter // KW: H.A.S. // OEM+: RS5 BBK, 20" RS5 Rotors, Ecodes // SBC: Stg 2 Daily // USP: SS Clutch Line, LEDs // 034 Motorsport: Intake Pipe, Trans & Engine Mounts, ACAs // Others...

IG: @SLU_S5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spectacular View Post
    Thank you sir! haha we'll see. I would love the opportunity to make some for members if they'll have me lol. I enjoy these kind of projects so we'll see.

Thank you!
    My thoughts are carbon fiber only at the moment. I'm trying to get away from fiberglass, but what makes you ask? Not sure what they'd run because I need to evaluate material costs and time spent to get them in finished condition. I should get to play around with some molds later this week to have a better idea though.
    I would be interested in buying one in fiberglass or plastic to have it painted the same color of the car. I'm only a fan for carbon fiber on the rear diffuser or front lip.
    APR stage 1 flash - 034 motorsports transmission mount - AWE Quad Exhaust - CF Atlas trim - JHM short shifter-Mirrors and Blades painted Misano Red - Ziza interior LEDs- CR-15 upper strut bar- ECS Silicone intake hose with afe pro dry filter - Niche Targa M129 19x10 with 265/35/19 Hankook evo2 tires - S5 trunk lid - ECS carbon fiber engine cover- H&R OE Springs

AZ Member #

I would be interested in buying one in fiberglass or plastic to have it painted the same color of the car. I'm only a fan for carbon fiber on the rear diffuser or front lip.
    Yup same here

Sent from my Passport using Audizine mobile app
    2014 S5

AWE Touring Exhaust l ECS Intake l EPL Dual Pulley 93 l AMS Alpha Cooler

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    haha yep a challenge, let me know when you are ready. ABT quoted me 8K for it -_-
    Say what!!? Alrighty, I'll let you know when I'd like to take on that project. Looks fun actually.

Actually, I've gotten mine fully prepped to make a mold and I'm thinking I will actually taper it down a bit.
    Gotcha. Well if people would rather fiberglass then I may have to pull out the old fiberglass hat lol
    Yup same here

Noted.

AZ Member #

I've been working on getting this spoiler moldable and I'm thinking of altering the shape a bit to flatten it out. Before I go and destroy its current form, are they folks interested in the current shape?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

In my opinion....Make one that looks like SLU S5 spoiler.

Established Member Four Rings HazeMyth's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Honestly, the current shape immediately makes me think of the salt chef. I think it comes to too much of a point in the center, and that's what reminds me of a high wrist. It would look much nicer rounded out more.

2013 Audi S5
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2003 Evolution VIII (Cammed, etc)
    2004 Subaru STI - Stg. 2 (Sold)
    IG: @MrHazeMyth

AZ Member #

In my opinion....Make one that looks like SLU S5 spoiler.
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeMyth View Post
    Honestly, the current shape immediately makes me think of the salt chef. I think it comes to too much of a point in the center, and that's what reminds me of a high wrist. It would look much nicer rounded out more.
    Haha Thanks for the feedback. I believe the shape changed a bit as i built up the different layers needed to prep for molding...I'm actually a bit excited about it, but I'm going to do a ground up refresh on it.

I'm going to go ahead and commit to solving our spoiler availability problem and put forth something I believe everyone will love as well. Stay tuned....

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Here's a good example of what I would like to see. A spoiler that would sit on top of the trunk only if it's possible.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...verlay&first=1

AZ Member #

I just bought a Caractere spoiler but will definitely be interested in what comes out of this thread.

While the Caractere is nice, I like a design that curves along the entire length of the spoiler. Keep us posted OP

2014 S5

Established Member Two Rings Tomieg's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It's great to see people still contributing to the community with new products! Especially out of their own garage! Thank you Mr. Spectacular and keep up the good work!

Personally, i would like something similar to the OEM competition spoiler available for the e92 BMW M3. It's sporty yet subtle enough while accentuating the OEM body lines

-Tom

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Tomieg View Post
    It's great to see people still contributing to the community with new products! Especially out of their own garage! Thank you Mr. Spectacular and keep up the good work!

Personally, i would like something similar to the OEM competition spoiler available for the e92 BMW M3. It's sporty yet subtle enough while accentuating the OEM body lines

-Tom
    Nice! Maybe without the space in the middle
    ...But nice none the less.

AZ Member #

Nice! Maybe without the space in the middle
    ...But nice none the less.
    Agreed

I like the top part of the spoiler though. Just a simple curved piece

2014 S5

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

2013 Audi S5 Estoril Blue w/ Panda Interior | ELP Stage 2 Dual Pulley | 183 Fluidampr/CTS Pulley | PLM HE | AWE Touring w/ Resonated Downpipes | ECS Luft-Technik Intake | H&R Coilovers | CR-15 | 03 Motorsports Mounts | Eurocode AluKruez | Eurocode USS Sway Bar | P3 Vent Gauge | oCarbon CF Dash | CF Inlays | RS5 Grill | RS5 MMI | RS5 Door Handles | Power Folding Mirrors | ECODES TBI

Weekend Warriors - '97 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 / '96 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by oohnoo View Post
    Yes this would look good. This shape at least. I like a nice simple curved spoiler

I just think this one is a bit too vertical. One with a more gradual slope is better. Sticks straight up a bit too much

2014 S5

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

This is what I'm looking for, this thing is sweet and it will replace the $8000 one the other guy was looking for.

Established Member Four Rings mopaNi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Lol
    Chad | 2013 S5 Premium+ 6MT Estoril

AZ Member #

Amazing. At that size you can probably fit multiple wings on your trunk lid. More down force!
    Ken
    --
    2013 A5 Premium+ 6MT
    Glacier White | E-Codes | Bilstein | STaSIS | Injen | Ground Force GF06 | Hankook | SunTek CXP

Senior Member Three Rings mjr034's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Mazda 3i GT
    Items for Sale

Anyone have thoughts on something like this?

Biggest difference is mounting on top of the deck lid as opposed o off the lip out back.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...lid-Spoiler-S5
    2013 S5 3.0 TFSI ~ Prestige | DSG | Brilliant Black | Carbon Atlas
    | 034 | APR | AWE | BBS | BFI | BILSTEIN | ECS | REIGER |

Senior Member Three Rings Powderhound's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mjr034 View Post

Biggest difference is mounting on top of the deck lid as opposed o off the lip out back.

I like the look of that design much better than the usual "duckbill" choices that currently exist. If there is enough interest, would love to see further development of a similar design for s5.
    2013 S5 Prestige | Phantom Black | Black Nappa | DSG | Sport Diff | Carbon Atlas
    Mods: Full Xpel, Ceramic Pro, RS Grill, Deval CF lip & diffuser, ECS CF side mirrors, EPL stage 1 ECU & TCU, H&R Street CO, SPC UCA, AWE Track/Res. DP, Alu-Kreuz, CR-15, Vorsteiner V-FF 103/Conti DWS 06/H&R DR 5f 10r, Winter: Peelers/Nokian Hakka R2/H&R DRA 20f 25r/WeatherTech

AZ Member #

Regarding your "mounting on top of the deck" idea, I think that would be similar to the ECS spoiler that they make for the S4 (not the one in post #25). it doesn't cover the lip off the back but rather just sits on top. I wouldn't mind something like that but it does have that duckbill look still.

Mr. Spectacular, any update on this project?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Mazda 3i GT
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhound View Post
    I like the look of that design much better than the usual "duckbill" choices that currently exist. If there is enough interest, would love to see further development of a similar design for s5.
    Agreed - The "duckbill" doesnt flow well with the cars lines imo..

Regarding your "mounting on top of the deck" idea, I think that would be similar to the ECS spoiler that they make for the S4 (not the one in post #25). it doesn't cover the lip off the back but rather just sits on top. I wouldn't mind something like that but it does have that duckbill look still.
    The ECS is mounted more so on the top edge of the lid but still comes out backwards.. which is the duckbill way - i would prefer to see a design that meets the rear edge of the lid and builds up slightly, but not protrouding rearward..

- again the Giulia does it right.

AZ Member #

Mr. Spectacular, any update on this project?
    Adjusting my design approach. Equipping myself with better tools which should arrive shortly. I'll have something soon.

- again the Giulia does it right.
    I'd agree here.

Senior Member Three Rings jschrauwen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A5 3.2 QTip, 00 A4 2.8 QTip, 90 300ZX TT 572whp 590wtq, Ducati TT2

I just picked up my CF A5 spoiler on Sunday from carbonimports.ca
    Take note that when sat loosely on the trunk/boot, the ends appear to sit slightly high. Minimal finger tip pressure on each end makes for a tight, even and flush seal. The supplied 3m 2-way tape will easily secure it flush all around. I saw the S5 version installed on the carbonimports.ca rep's car when I picked mine up. He used the same 2-way tape and it was solidly mounted flush all around as well.
    2008 A5|Ice Silver|3.2 QTip|Premium Pkg|Technology Pkg|B&O with JL10W0-4 sub|15/20mm spacers|HID Foglights|Exterior & interior LED's|RS5 grill|AWE/K&N Intake|Quad tipped OEM muffler mod|Facelift Ecode Tail lights|CR-15 Strut Bar|AFS-1 pre-facelift Ecode headlights

AZ Member #
    My Garage

More pics of the spoiler alone. At $179.00USD shipped, it's hard to pass up.
    2008 A5|Ice Silver|3.2 QTip|Premium Pkg|Technology Pkg|B&O with JL10W0-4 sub|15/20mm spacers|HID Foglights|Exterior & interior LED's|RS5 grill|AWE/K&N Intake|Quad tipped OEM muffler mod|Facelift Ecode Tail lights|CR-15 Strut Bar|AFS-1 pre-facelift Ecode headlights

Established Member Two Rings DburrellA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4, 2012 Evo X (RIP) 2013 Audi S5

I cant see the pictures, dangit

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DburrellA4 View Post
    I cant see the pictures, dangit
    Really?
    They're attached thumbnails. I posted same pics in another related thread where someone else commented they could see them.
    Using a phone?

Established Member Two Rings DburrellA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4, 2012 Evo X (RIP) 2013 Audi S5

Quote Originally Posted by jschrauwen View Post
    Really?
    They're attached thumbnails. I posted same pics in another related thread where someone else commented they could see them.
    Using a phone?
    Yeah, they work now humm not sure what changed.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Mazda 3i GT
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spectacular View Post
    Adjusting my design approach. Equipping myself with better tools which should arrive shortly. I'll have something soon.
    Any update on this project?

AZ Member #

Any update on this project?
    Thanks for asking! I was actually approaching an update. If any of y'all are familiar with the sub boxes i made, you may know that what started out as an amateur effort at a custom solution kind of grew into a more strategic approach to the boxes. Refining the shape, working with molds to make them consistent etc. etc. If took me a few months after I said I'd be back with the ability to reproduce them in a way that anyone who got one would be happy with.

I provide this intro to say that I'm seem to be taken the same course of action with these spoilers, etc. It may be overboard, but i realized that since these parts are aesthetic in nature, but also subject to external forces like wind and such, the precision is incredibly important. Pardon my french, but I didn't want to half-ass the effort so I've spent the time educating myself and getting equipped with what's needed to provide those things. I had some international shipping delays as well, but to provide a peek here's what i'm up to.

I originally started out designing by slapping done product on the car and hand working from there. Aside from an incredible about of time to fine tune shape, i realized it just wouldn't be as perfect as i desired/required. In order to speed up the design process and make sure the manual effort produced a result i'd see before hand, i had to get angles of the car in the digital space to work from.

Got a scanner so there's precision from design to fitment; a must.
    D4 S8 Engine Cover I was about to start working on for a buddy. Played around just a bit with it.

Some shots of the cover because..why not.

I just liked this shot but I'm getting distracted now.

Next was needing to bring design from digital to physical soo why not make that happen too!
    Big a** 3D printer FTW!

Testing it out

So these are the updates I have at the moment. I'm working fervently to pop out some designs I can hopefully run by either the thread or maybe some select members who are for sure interested to provide feedback and input and go from there.

Stay with me. I know it's been a bit of time but as with the boxes, I want to make sure if y'all trust me to do it, it's done right all the way.

More in the pipeline soon...