Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Clear Bra

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Clear Bra

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Wondering how many out there are applying a clear bra after getting their Q5's. I've heard about these and that they are expensive, but not familiar with the details. Is this something that really needs to be consider for a new vehicle? Thanks

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I had it on the car I purchased new in 2012. I wasn't real crazy about it because at certain angles it kinda look like a giant condom on the front. So four years later before I sold the car I peel it off and the paint was flawless underneath. So money well spent. Hood protection was about $230. Another car in 2015 but different brand ( or newer?) film in that vehicle and it looks great most the time. Good clarity, can only see the line if I look hard. Also good PFP ( paint film protection) is trunk lip, door edge and door handle insides. This package was about $550 total.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Audizine mobile app
    2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus - Mythos Black - Tech & Cold weather pack - H&R sport springs - 50% 3M tint

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spinmaster7 View Post
    I had it on the car I purchased new in 2012. I wasn't real crazy about it because at certain angles it kinda look like a giant condom on the front. So four years later before I sold the car I peel it off and the paint was flawless underneath. So money well spent. Hood protection was about $230. Another car in 2015 but different brand ( or newer?) film in that vehicle and it looks great most the time. Good clarity, can only see the line if I look hard. Also good PFP ( paint film protection) is trunk lip, door edge and door handle insides. This package was about $550 total.

Thanks. When they do the hood how far up the hood do they typically go?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by auntrout View Post
    Thanks. When they do the hood how far up the hood do they typically go?
    about 12"-16". If you have time you could ask to see a vehicle that has it installed. If you only do one get the hood since that's usually where the rock chip appear. Compared to repainting the hood later, say after several touch ups that never seem to look right, its been a good value for me. Factor in your driving patterns, Im usually on the highway at rock chip speeds.

2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus - Mythos Black - Tech & Cold weather pack - H&R sport springs - 50% 3M tint

Senior Member Four Rings 14S4GWM's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do paint correction first then get the whole hood, fenders and front end done in the bra then get a ceramic coating. You will love it, do it right the first time.
    2014 S4 P+ Glacier White DSG
    Black Optic/ B&O/ Sports Diff/ Carbon Atlas/ V1/ P3/ Carista/ ECS CF Intake/ ECS CF Diffuser/ Bilstein B8/ H&R OE Springs/ H&R 10-12mm Spacers
    C-Quartz/ Suntek PPF/ AWE Touring 102/ 034 X-Brace & Inserts/ Eurocode Sways/ Akebono Pads/ CR-15/ VLED VX3 LED Fogs

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 14S4GWM View Post
    Do paint correction first then get the whole hood, fenders and front end done in the bra then get a ceramic coating. You will love it, do it right the first time.
    Approximately how much would this cost at a reputable installer. Thanks for the info.

AZ Member #

Depending on how bad the paint is and your location it could be 1-2k.
    Black Optic/ B&O/ Sports Diff/ Carbon Atlas/ V1/ P3/ Carista/ ECS CF Intake/ ECS CF Diffuser/ Bilstein B8/ H&R OE Springs/ H&R 10-12mm Spacers
    C-Quartz/ Suntek PPF/ AWE Touring 102/ 034 X-Brace & Inserts/ Eurocode Sways/ Akebono Pads/ CR-15/ VLED VX3 LED Fogs

AZ Member #

Depending on how bad the paint is and your location it could be 1-2k.
    The vehicle is brand new, so sounds like now is the time to do it. What type of shops typically specialize in this type of work? Should I be checking into shops that do window tinting, Vinyl wraps, or paint shops? Thanks.

AZ Member #

^ Post up in your regional forum and ask these questions about a reputable shop. I'm sure you've got some good shops in your area. Don't always go for the cheapest either. Now is definitely the time to do it considering it's new.

There are two good brands of film on the market now and a couple ceramic companies. Poke around on this page too for some info.

AZ Member #

^ Post up in your regional forum and ask these questions about a reputable shop. I'm sure you've got some good shops in your area. Don't always go for the cheapest either. Now is definitely the time to do it considering it's new.

There are two good brands of film on the market now and a couple ceramic companies. Poke around on this page too for some info.
    Thanks for the advice. I haven't spent time on the regional forum area. Guess now is a good time to start. Thanks again.

AZ Member #

If you do follow through with this i'm telling you that you will love it. It's so easy to clean with coating on it. Ive had mine on 2 yrs now it still beads water like the day I got it.

You tube C Quartz and watch some vids.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If you do follow through with this i'm telling you that you will love it. It's so easy to clean with coating on it. Ive had mine on 2 yrs now it still beads water like the day I got it.

You tube C Quartz and watch some vids.
    what color is your car? I'm thinking this is a relative question...

AZ Member #

^ 14 GWM. I didn't ask a question so what do you mean?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Having recently gotten into the realm of applying paint protection film, I was once one of those that didn't think about it too much, but now it is becoming the thing to do if you can only do one thing. The films now, last longer, look better and are almost invisible unless you really get up close and start looking for them. Topping the film with a coating only helps protect the vehicle even more and makes cleaning a breeze.
    Think of film as piece of mind when you are thinking about it. The most popular package is the full front coverage package. Wrap the full hood, front fenders, bumper, headlights and mirrors.

HUMP