Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello everyone! New A6 3.0 driver here (previously B7 RS4).

I have a couple of noob questions:

1. If I want to warm up the car do I just leave the key in the car, get out of the car, and let it run? What if I take the key with me? Will it still run but just keep beeping inside?

2. Any way to keep the MMI screen up but turned off? I know I can just fold it down but when it's time to park it takes a few seconds to come back up so would like to keep it up but turned off since I don't really use it besides when I'm parking.

3. In the manual it says the parking brake will release automatically if the accelerator is pressed and the car moves forward. Does this work with going in reverse?

4. Is it possible to install auto open/close trunk on a non-prestige A6? any aftermarket options?

5. Looks like the heated seat setting on the driver's seat is memorized for the next time but not the passenger side. Any way to have the settings come back when the passenger returns to the vehicle?

I think that's in for now.
    Thanks!

Established Member Three Rings G_Wagon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Does anyone know the significance of the green tire valve stem caps on certain Audis???

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

nitrogen in the tires instead of air.
    Audi S7

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

What can be done to maximize the power in my A7? I know I can go EPL stage 2, but what else can be done. Would it at all be possible to get 500 Horsepower from a 2012 Prestige?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jaehoppa View Post

a couple of noob questions:
    1. take the key, it'll keep running (until it runs out of gas afaik). you can push a button on the steering wheel to shut off the beeping (i use the arrows on the left side of the wheel...others may work too).

2. no

3. not sure, but there's a button next to the shifter to release the parking brake ;)

4. holding down the trunk button on the remote opens the trunk. depending on the year you may have the "kick your foot under the bumper" thing on your car, but it doesn't seem to work very well from what I've read (mine doesn't have it). retrofit of motorized closing has been done, but it seems more spendy & time consuming than it was worth (to me). Or is that not what you mean?

5. no

-cody
    13 A6 3.0

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by slocody View Post
    1. take the key, it'll keep running (until it runs out of gas afaik). you can push a button on the steering wheel to shut off the beeping (i use the arrows on the left side of the wheel...others may work too).

2. no

3. not sure, but there's a button next to the shifter to release the parking brake ;)

4. holding down the trunk button on the remote opens the trunk. depending on the year you may have the "kick your foot under the bumper" thing on your car, but it doesn't seem to work very well from what I've read (mine doesn't have it). retrofit of motorized closing has been done, but it seems more spendy & time consuming than it was worth (to me). Or is that not what you mean?

5. no

-cody
    thanks for all the replies!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Is it possible to drive the C7 A6 (2016) with the parking brake engaged by mistake? or will the car automatically disengage it when the car moves forward?
    I swear today I parked the car and put the shifter in P and notices that the parking brake was already engaged (red light on). I didn't feel any resistance while driving just before that. Maybe it's a glitch? or is there a setting where the car automatically engages Parking brake automatically when shifter is moved to P?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You can do any of what you mentioned via coding. In addition, you can set how easy you want the parking brake to release when getting on the gas pedal. It's on the parking brake module. There're 3 settings: easy, normal, and hard. Default is normal, and I left it like that. I tried to disable the requirement of having the seatbelt fastened, but couldn't do it on my 2018 (it's a different security code than 7.0 cars, and a VW master tech commented on VCDS it cannot be done anymore). Having said that, yesterday I disabled the 'seatbelt warning chimes', and now not even the seatbelt dash light comes on (I didn't want that), so maybe the parking brake now releases without the seatbelt anyway. Ha ha. I almost never use the parking brake myself (always try to park on flat ground, and no need for it), but will try to release it automatically without the seatbelt next time just for kicks. You can also make it engage automatically when selecting P on that same module. And if parking is engaged, no way in hell you'd be able to drive with it, so don't worry about that. If you don't have your seatbelt and it doesn't release automatically, you're not going to move, or barely, so don't worry driving with it engaged. It's not going to happen. If you have the seatbelt on, it'll always release automatically. Hope this helps. By the way, I'm going to go back to the module and see if I can just disable the audible warning, but leave the dash light in case I forget to buckle up. Right now it's like if the car didn't come with seatbelts at all. Ha ha. Oh, and I also saw a menu where you can adjust the clamping force of the parking brake; I think it was on the super long drop-down menu of module 5F, but don't remember exactly. No need for that unless it isn't enough for you. On my other cars, you can set it harder by just holding the parking button up again; the longer you hold it the harder it clamps. So far I've never had the need for that. Hope this helps.
    2018 S6 mythos black/black; S sport package, driver assistance package, 20" black optic package, carbon atlas, Audi rings, all-weather mats, 35/20% tint

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Parking brake engages automatically if you have your car in drive (transmission in anything but P position) and open driver's door and disengages automatically if you have your seat-belt on, transmission in D/S or R and you start to drive.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIofil View Post
    Parking brake engages automatically if you have your car in drive (transmission in anything but P position) and open driver's door and disengages automatically if you have your seat-belt on, transmission in D/S or R and you start to drive.
    You'd be an idiot to get out of the car in D without the parking brake, so I don't consider that intrusive. On the contrary. But you can code the car to automatically apply the parking brake when tranny is put in P; that's what I meant, in case it wasn't clear. Most DCT cars don't have a parking pawl, so that's what happens every time tranny is put in 'P'. Our cars thankfully have a parking pawl, just like Porsches with a mechanical transmission lever. I don't know if the electronic shifters also have a parking feature or not, but Audis do, so maybe the Panamera with the electronic shifter does too. I really like a mechanical shifter, and a parking feature, so very happy to still have both here. As well as a DCT. I really don't like the new electronic shifters, videogame dashes, etc. It'll be a sad day if I'm not able to buy another new car like the S6, but it is what it is.
    2018 S6 mythos black/black; S sport package, driver assistance package, 20" black optic package, carbon atlas, Audi rings, all-weather mats, 35/20% tint

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by elptxjc View Post
    You'd be an idiot to get out of the car in D without the parking brake, so I don't consider that intrusive. On the contrary. But you can code the car to automatically apply the parking brake when tranny is put in P; that's what I meant, in case it wasn't clear. Most DCT cars don't have a parking pawl, so that's what happens every time tranny is put in 'P'. Our cars thankfully have a parking pawl, just like Porsches with a mechanical transmission lever. I don't know if the electronic shifters also have a parking feature or not, but Audis do, so maybe the Panamera with the electronic shifter does too. I really like a mechanical shifter, and a parking feature, so very happy to still have both here. As well as a DCT. I really don't like the new electronic shifters, videogame dashes, etc. It'll be a sad day if I'm not able to buy another new car like the S6, but it is what it is.
    I agree that no driver should try to get out of the car before shifting transmission into P but I pointed out how it works. It's a safety measure and I like to see it's implemented. However you can for example be parking a car and open a door a little to check distance from a curb or parking line, etc. and then shift into P and wonder why parking brake is engaged.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I agree that no driver should try to get out of the car before shifting transmission into P but I pointed out how it works. It's a safety measure and I like to see it's implemented. However you can for example be parking a car and open a door a little to check distance from a curb or parking line, etc. and then shift into P and wonder why parking brake is engaged.
    Exactly. I've ran into the engaging under that circumstance many times. It's annoying, the threshold for going on should be over 5mph imho.
    C7 A6 3.0T, APR Stage 2+, 189mm Fluidampr, Autotech HPFP, Merc Quad Pass HX, RS7 airbox, 034 Motorsports hose, SQ5 21" Forged Wheels, 380mm SQ5 front brakes, 356mm S6 rear brakes, E-codes, RS6 Grill, RS6 Pedals, H&R Springs, center muffler delete, Magnaflow 120mm tips.

1/4 mile 11.56s (via dragy)

Past B6 S4 Avant, C5 RS6 Stage 2+, B5 S4 Stage 3+, B6 S4, MKIV R32

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I think that's exactly what happened with me.
    I was parking and wanted to check the distance to the curb so I opened the door a little to check and then put the car into P.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

You can do any of what you mentioned via coding. In addition, you can set how easy you want the parking brake to release when getting on the gas pedal. It's on the parking brake module. There're 3 settings: easy, normal, and hard. Default is normal, and I left it like that. I tried to disable the requirement of having the seatbelt fastened, but couldn't do it on my 2018 (it's a different security code than 7.0 cars, and a VW master tech commented on VCDS it cannot be done anymore). Having said that, yesterday I disabled the 'seatbelt warning chimes', and now not even the seatbelt dash light comes on (I didn't want that), so maybe the parking brake now releases without the seatbelt anyway. Ha ha. I almost never use the parking brake myself (always try to park on flat ground, and no need for it), but will try to release it automatically without the seatbelt next time just for kicks. You can also make it engage automatically when selecting P on that same module. And if parking is engaged, no way in hell you'd be able to drive with it, so don't worry about that. If you don't have your seatbelt and it doesn't release automatically, you're not going to move, or barely, so don't worry driving with it engaged. It's not going to happen. If you have the seatbelt on, it'll always release automatically. Hope this helps. By the way, I'm going to go back to the module and see if I can just disable the audible warning, but leave the dash light in case I forget to buckle up. Right now it's like if the car didn't come with seatbelts at all. Ha ha. Oh, and I also saw a menu where you can adjust the clamping force of the parking brake; I think it was on the super long drop-down menu of module 5F, but don't remember exactly. No need for that unless it isn't enough for you. On my other cars, you can set it harder by just holding the parking button up again; the longer you hold it the harder it clamps. So far I've never had the need for that. Hope this helps.
    I guess I would need a VAGCOM for this which I don't have.
    It would be nice to have the Parking brake engage automatically when the car is put into P because I use Parking brake all the time when parking.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Another question,

According to the manual, I should engage the parking brake before putting the car in P, instead of putting shifter into P and then engaging it.
    It's more natural for me to put the car in P and then engage the parking brake but I notice less movement after letting go of the brake pedal when I follow the manual and engage Parking brake before moving the shifter to P.
    I feel like more movement after the brake pedal is release = more strain on the car so I'm trying to engage the parking brake before shifting to P.

Also, is it not a good idea to leave my foot on the brake pedal when I release the parking brake because it pushes up against it? Should I just not press the brake pedal when release the parking brake?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

so my A6 with black optics grill came with the front license plate bracket. If I remove it would the grill look weird with holes in it? Anyone have a photo of black optics grill with license plate frame removed?

Veteran Member Four Rings Kevin1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think it would look strange with the holes and no plate
    1 of 1 in the United States - 2015 A6 TDI Prestige with 19" Sports Package and Season Dedicated Tires - Oolong Gray Metalic, Nougat Brown Interior, Dark Brown Walnut Inlays, Black Headliner, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision Assistant with Pedestrian Detection. Summer - Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Winter - Yokohama Bluearth Winter V905. Eurocode Sway Bars and Links. XPEL Ultimate.

RIP - 2005 A6 4.2 - (February 2005 - August 2014) (142,000 miles)

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Questions you thought were too dumb to ask

Quote Originally Posted by audi_rs View Post
    so my A6 with black optics grill came with the front license plate bracket. If I remove it would the grill look weird with holes in it? Anyone have a photo of black optics grill with license plate frame removed?
    What year? If facelift then yes it will need a filler plate. I put one on my A7 it was a pretty easy install. Helpful to have someone hold the plate while you install and remove parking sensors if you have them. If not even easier!

This is my old 2016 A7 but I would expect the same.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

thanks for the photo. yeah i guess that would look weird. i will just put the front plate on. thanks again.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I have a question about scheduled service.
    my next service (audi care) is at 25k miles.
    Do I have to go to a dealer within certain mileage in order for them to honor it? Can I go at like 28k miles for example?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Anyone have a photo of black optics grill with license plate frame removed?
    I don't, but on my 2018 car there were just 4 ugly holes, not those huge ones a few posts above. Found the perfect plugs at PepBoys, but had to enlarge the holes for screws I had laying around (in case I ever have to reinstall the bracket), then cut the 'barbs' of the plugs with a knife until they went into the holes. But the plastic was a perfect match, and they resemble the parking sensors. Not ideal, but not bad enough to buy a new grille. He he. If you're interested, I may have the part number written somewhere. It's one of those little boxes with orange packaging inside. And yes, it sucks that freaking factory (or port) drills the freaking bumpers. Unbelievable. Stupid dealers shouldn't ask for that, since most customers don't want plates on such a beautiful car. But most importantly, the stupid plate bracket blocks cooling for the radiators, and THAT was what made me remove it. I was going to put a plate so I didn't have to mess with the holes, but no way I'd give up cooling ability in hot TX for a freaking plate. Ha ha. So found that solution.

Established Member Three Rings OlyS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a question about scheduled service.
    my next service (audi care) is at 25k miles.
    Do I have to go to a dealer within certain mileage in order for them to honor it? Can I go at like 28k miles for example?
    They'll honor it, although I wouldn't recommend waiting longer than the recommended intervals. (unless you're doing your own changes in-between dealership changes).
    2016 S6, mythos black, RS7 turbos, MRC inlets |AWE intake and touring exhaust| APR downpipes| AMS cooler| Eurocode sways, end-links, and AK | Audi CCB| OZ wheels, Michelin PS4S tires| RS6 grille| Neidfaktor mirrors and diffuser| Blackvue dashcams| RS6 LED headlights |Sound: Audiocontrol DM-810 DSP, JL HD900/5 driving JL10W3 sub and Focal KX3 up front. Rear; JL HD600/4 driving Focal KX2.

Veteran Member Three Rings tenspeed's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You can go at any mileage. Make sure you get in at/before the two year mark for the brake fluid change. The previous owner failed to make it on time and I was denied the fluid change at my last Audi Care service because two years had not passed since the first change. Thanks Audi!
    2012 A7 3.0T Prestige, Ibis white/Nougat/Ash, 20" Sport, ACC, LED, HUD, Ferrada FR2 wheels, AWE Touring exhaust, Adam's Drag II rotors, BlackVue dash cams

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,
    but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
    You can go at any mileage. Make sure you get in at/before the two year mark for the brake fluid change. The previous owner failed to make it on time and I was denied the fluid change at my last Audi Care service because two years had not passed since the first change. Thanks Audi!
    My 25k miles service is due in 5k miles or June whichever comes first. I don't think brake fluid has been changed before by the original owner so I assume I can get it done at the 25k miles service?

Veteran Member Three Rings VR2V8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2018 S6

1) Driving to work this morning in dynamic mode (air suspension at factory low, but not VCDS lowered yet), coming around a curve and get a DIS warning. "Air suspension too low. Controlling ride height.".....not sure if that is word for word.
    -- It soon went away, so I assume everything is fine? It regained control so no ruptured bag or damaged sensor.
    -- I also assume this is to be expected since I was taking a curve at speed, compressing the air suspension more on one side? Is this something we just have to deal with when doing spirited driving?
    -- Does this store a soft code? I have yet to hook up my VCDS to this car and look at anything.
    -- What is the threshold for height deviation from factory calibration? I'm pretty sure the car wasn't too low, just that one or more corners were more than x% lower than the stored setting.

2) Any better/cheaper working options for SIM card data plan for AudiConnect?
    -- Do I really need AudiConnect or a data connection? What would I be lacking? I let the free trial lapse on my B8.5 S4 and I don't really know what I lost.
    -- I really want to download the owner's manual to the MMI, but have no data. Other options are to import from SD card or USB. Where would I get the owners manual to put on SD or USB?
    '13 S4: P+, DSG, Ice Silver, Black/Black Alcantara, Nav, SD, B&O, Carbon

Akebono Ceramics, AWE Boost Gauge, AWE/GIAC Stage 2 + DSG, AWE Touring Exhaust & Res DP's, BO Grille, CR-15, Deval CF Lip & Diffuser, Ecodes, Eurocode Alu Kreuz & Sways, Euro Visors, Folding Mirrors, H&R OE, Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs, Ocarbon Dash Trim, Retrofit Labs Signals, Roc-Euro Intake, TSW Bathurst 19x9.5 et39 & Michelin PSS, Underseat Bins, Warning Triangle

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Where the hell is the charcoal canister on a C7 S6?

Other models its under the car near the spare tire area, but Im clueless on the S6.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

On the 2015 A6 navigation, is there a way to wipe out all Directory stored addresses in a single shot rather than picking through and plucking them out one by one?

Active Member Two Rings Rlynch03's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Acura MDX, 16 Dodge Durango Hemi

I don't, but on my 2018 car there were just 4 ugly holes, not those huge ones a few posts above. Found the perfect plugs at PepBoys, but had to enlarge the holes for screws I had laying around (in case I ever have to reinstall the bracket), then cut the 'barbs' of the plugs with a knife until they went into the holes. But the plastic was a perfect match, and they resemble the parking sensors. Not ideal, but not bad enough to buy a new grille. He he. If you're interested, I may have the part number written somewhere. It's one of those little boxes with orange packaging inside. And yes, it sucks that freaking factory (or port) drills the freaking bumpers. Unbelievable. Stupid dealers shouldn't ask for that, since most customers don't want plates on such a beautiful car. But most importantly, the stupid plate bracket blocks cooling for the radiators, and THAT was what made me remove it. I was going to put a plate so I didn't have to mess with the holes, but no way I'd give up cooling ability in hot TX for a freaking plate. Ha ha. So found that solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Established Member Two Rings sickmade0331's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Rlynch03 View Post

Your licence plate bracket is already remove!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Audizine mobile app
    Last edited by sickmade0331; 02-14-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: I'm retarded forget my comment

Established Member Two Rings sickmade0331's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sickmade0331 View Post
    Your licence plate bracket is already remove!

Forget my comment I'm retarded!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gta7 View Post
    What year? If facelift then yes it will need a filler plate. I put one on my A7 it was a pretty easy install. Helpful to have someone hold the plate while you install and remove parking sensors if you have them. If not even easier!

This is my old 2016 A7 but I would expect the same.

My car is MY2016 with black optics so I guess it will look like yours in the photo after the bracket is removed.
    what's the filler plate? Is it the one Rlynch03 posted above?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

My car is MY2016 with black optics so I guess it will look like yours in the photo after the bracket is removed.
    what's the filler plate? Is it the one Rlynch03 posted above?
    I wonder that as well. I order new OEM Chrome Grill in the below picture that I had to pay extra for the Plate Delete (a ridiculously high amount extra).

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314