Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Audi A6 C6 4.2 project. Failed timing chains, bent valves...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    New guy here! New to Audi and to this forum. A little background on me, I'm a GM dealer technician, I was a SAAB technician but when they went bankrupt I made the transition to GMC/Buick. I've taken on several Saab and gm projects in the past but I wanted to try something different this time. So I found a really great deal... Well I think. I'm starting to see how expensive parts can be on audi's! I found an 05 A6 Quattro with the 4.2 v8 in it. Has timing chain issues and has bent valves. I'm amazed on how much just the timing chain adjusters, adjuster valves and Tensioners cost! This by-far is going to be my most costliest most labor intensive project I've had!
    Anyways I have zero experience working on audi's and hoping I can get some really great information from you guys out there. I plan on taking yall along with me on my project all the way to the end. I'm really looking forward to driving this thing to see how this audi v8 performs! I've never driven one before and I thought it'd be bad ass having this car.
    So far I've removed the intake and valve covers to verify valves are indeed bent. I'm thinking pulling the front clip and removing the engine with a cherry picker... I will be doing this project at home with regular DIY tools. Is this the best way for engine removal? What do you guys think out there, send me your thoughts and opinions... I look forward to this journey... Hopefully not an expensive journey!
    1480891830529.jpg1480891863711.jpg

Sent from my LG-H910 using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 VW Passat R Line

Welcome to Audi, lol. The first thing you need to get familiar with is Audi's "service open" position. I'm not sure about Saab, but Audi, Mercedes and the like are all about technique. "Do this, then do that". Once you get their technique, she'll open up to you. If not, she'll fight you every step if the way.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah I'm starting to see that! I have access to "ALLDATA" at work but what other service manuals or websites do you guys use to reference any service procedures? Like timing chain installation procedure, Right now I'm just going by my Saab/GM experience as a tech

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Update:
    Almost ready to pull the motor out...
    1481510230778.jpg

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I use ElsaWin, this is what the official dealers use as well (you may find it online though) or also you can get service manuals from Bentley. Looking good, keep it up man! It is beautiful engineering! :)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quick question... Where is everyone ordering there Audi parts from? Timing chain guides, Tensioners, gaskets... I'm looking at AudiWholesaleParts.com. It's the cheapest oem parts on the web.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Check your local dealer for speed or parts.com or fcpeuro.com for deals.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Fcpeuro. Com is where I ended up getting my parts from guys. Thanks for that input. Seeps like they had the best prices. Quick update. Motor is out and parts are on order. Nothing major just broken guides...by the way I removed the engine with no engine hoist and only used 2 floor Jack's and some scrap wool I had lying around. I Had to improvise guys

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Wow great work man! Looking good :)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Grisho View Post
    Wow great work man! Looking good :)
    @Grisho

Thanks man.,

I didn't order new chains but from your experience do the chains stretch on these engines? I know some gm's have chain stretch issues but not sure if audi does. The chains are in good condition from what I can see with the naked eye

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Bottle of mean green from homedepot and a nylon brush helped me clean up the engine really nice... Figured I do something productive to it while I wait on parts to arrive...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If the valves are bent, then the chains have been stressed maybe excessively and therefore may have stretched, you can check in the service manual if there is a way to check them. If not, probably a great idea to replace them to be sure.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Looks like fun :-)

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

[/ATTACH]
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiproject214 View Post
    Update:
    Almost ready to pull the motor out...
    1481510230778.jpg
    Audizine mobile app
    Okay so obviously you're a pro and I'm an amateur ... And about that "follow the manuals and she'll open up" quote above - Yeah. Not.

I'm at the point where the manual says to disconnect the driveshaft from the transmission, and then it comes out all together. But clearly (according to your photos later) your trans is still in place. Here's where I'm at right now:

IMG_4413.jpg

Bentley says to put the shifter in N before starting all this, and now - of course - the drive shaft rotates while trying to break the seal on the bolts. (Same with the front axles.)

What advice can you offer to get the engine out with the transmission still in place?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Well when I took the motor out I already had both cylinder heads off which made it easy. But in your case I would remove the alternator and motor mount brackets so you can get access to the torque converter bolts. And if you can get to all the bell housing bolts it'll be ready to come out at that.

Yours does look a little different than mine. The only way I could get the starter off was to remove the pass side motor mount and it'll probably be easier to remove the motormount and bracket if you take the alternator off.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If you take the intake manifold off it'll be easier to access all the top and side bell housing bolts. I didn't use any specific manual when I took it out im just kinda going off of what experience I have working on GM cars. It's all the same concept. Where are you located? if your in the Dallas area I'd be glad to lend a hand. I'll be updating my progress here shortly...

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I do have a 3.2 V6 (in an Avant). The whole reason I'm pulling the engine is because - apparently - that's how to get the heads out. And in order for the "warranty" company to even consider paying for anything, they have to see the broken parts. Hopefully I can do that, then I'm getting a replacement engine already built with what little subsidy they'll give.

I'll tackle the intake manifold, then maybe try to go at the heads to see how much I can actually get done, and post more here.

Thanks for the offer of help, but I'm in the Baltimore area.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Good luck buddy. If all they need to see is the bent valves then removing the intake will allow them to see the intake valves through the intake port's. But as far as the timing chain guides that'll need the engine removal

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Update. Engine went in somewhat smooth. Timing the engine was a little confusing but after reading the timing proceedures over and over and over I finally understood how it's timed. Remember all does doesn't mean anything if this 4 circled vehicle doesn't roll out of the garage like it's supposed to. 1484624816419.jpg1484624829489.jpg1484624846524.jpg1484624857695.jpg1484624869964.jpg

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

1484624933735.jpg

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audiproject214 View Post
    Good luck buddy. If all they need to see is the bent valves then removing the intake will allow them to see the intake valves through the intake port's. But as far as the timing chain guides that'll need the engine removalAudizine mobile app
    They want the valves completely out of the engine and in their hand. Never again with THIS company!

Looking sharp there, and I'm jealous! Hope to be there soon. Can't wait to tear into the intake manifold!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Took the intake off, still could only get to about half the torque convertor bolts. The oil filter assembly sits between the engine & the firewall on my V6, where it looks like yours sits on top of the engine at the back of the intake manifold. I managed to get both front axles off, then unbolted the drive shaft. Last few things before the pull are mark the position of the shifter on the trans, unbolt the subframe and undo the engine mounts. I think.

I can almost smell the end, and after 8 months with no Avant I'm getting restless!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Hey dhbpac, do not get demotivated man, you should be able to get the other half of the torque converter bolts if you follow the manual (sometimes the steps are out of sequence). Are you using ElsaWin (the dealer service software)? If not, send me your VIN and I can look up the steps and help.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Actually I do have an old version of ElsaWin, but use mainly Bentley & AllData (which is pretty much the same as Bentley).

I don't give up easily, and even though it's been 8 months I've only got about 30 or so hours into it. So not too bad.

Besides, if the manual doesn't seem quite right - then I get out the photograph-taking-machine (aka, iPhone 6s) for when it's time to reassemble.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Cool, you're good to go then! Yeah the photo... "machine" is very useful :), same use here (right now for a 7-speed DSG gearbox pretty much complete tear down it is needed every now and then).
    Curious, why do you use Bentley/AllData over ElsaWin?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Grisho View Post
    Curious, why do you use Bentley/AllData over ElsaWin?
    No particular reason, other than I though ElsaWin was only for dealer-types. Both Bentley & Alldata are web-based, which means I don't need a PC (Mac guy here).

Although ... my VCDS is definitely Windoze, and I do have a Toughbook just for the garage. Got a link I can look at for ElsaWin? More info is ALWAYS better!!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I see, that makes sense. Unfortunately I cannot share Elsa, however I am sure you know how to find it :). Good choice with VCDS, I wish they can find a way to make it do everything else that ODIS can...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

After all the work I'd say it wasn't that bad. On this particular engine setup it is possible and doable for a diy with basic tools and presicion torque wrenches, timing tools, engine hoist, two jacks. Just some patience a lot of thought processing before tackling certain areas...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Awesome work!!!