Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Veteran Member Four Rings jballou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Fit

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hmmm Wonder who's car will be done first. At least you can still drive yours. My car is running, but sitting in my garage.
    2000 Audi S4 Stage 3,000 Million +
    Some crap just thrown together, puzzlingly making more power....

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/jsballou

www.tvme.info

Senior Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

That's true, just a bitter pill to swallow having a not-100% car after all this time, effort and money. Frustrating to say the least when I've spared to expense (time/money) to do this right.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 308K - 2.8sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - K04/RS6 Hybrids - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG Lines - AWE Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - DriveshaftShop - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

Senior Member Three Rings cinesnow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    stg 3+ b5 s4 (black) b5 s4 (white) '01 allroad 6mt, 993 targa, '05.5 elise, '65 356c

I bet both of you drive yours before I get my act together ;)
    Racing is life, everything that happens before or after is just waiting...

Veteran Member Four Rings jballou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Fit

Quote Originally Posted by cinesnow View Post
    I bet both of you drive yours before I get my act together ;)
    I drove mine up the street, but that is about it. Have to Star Smog it and register it again and the car has been on PNO for the past year.
    2000 Audi S4 Stage 3,000 Million +
    Some crap just thrown together, puzzlingly making more power....

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/jsballou

www.tvme.info

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

This will be the year all of us get our cars running as they should. Socal has some badass B5s, once the new turbo setup is in and tuned I will be hitting up the local 1320 racing roll nights again.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 308K - 2.8sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - K04/RS6 Hybrids - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG Lines - AWE Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - DriveshaftShop - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

Veteran Member Four Rings jaychen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
    This will be the year all of us get our cars running as they should. Socal has some badass B5s, once the new turbo setup is in and tuned I will be hitting up the local 1320 racing roll nights again.
    hell yeah buddy.
    2000 Achat S4

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Oil seal in the turbo is definitely getting worse, blasts a plume of smoke when decelerating in gear when the car is hot more regularly and dentist drill sounds are louder too. New turbos aren't going to be ready until September so I will need to figure out a second car sooner than later... Makes me miss the Q7 right about now.

Veteran Member Four Rings NYEuroTuner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4.
    Items for Sale

Oil seal in the turbo is definitely getting worse, blasts a plume of smoke when decelerating in gear when the car is hot more regularly and dentist drill sounds are louder too. New turbos aren't going to be ready until September so I will need to figure out a second car sooner than later... Makes me miss the Q7 right about now.
    Running a well vented catch can system ?
    -- George
    SEMPER FI
    Build Thread--------------->My VR6 Journey<-Click it, Click it good.
    IABEDINDUSTRIES

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

It's not coming from the engine side, the oil is leaking from the turbo directly into the exhaust and burning up hence the white smoke and strong burning oil smell. Think valve cover gasket leaking on hot exhaust manifold only 10x the amount of oil.

It's also very specific to the driver's side exhaust which is separate from the passenger side with the SSAC true dual.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

After saying that and jinxing myself, the car is no longer driveable daily with the turbo issue. It's now blowing smoke under deceleration hot or cold and it's not reaching past 15psi of boost and I don't want to drive it more so I can still limp it down to SD when Blake and Jon are ready. So I'm working with Blake on getting a new set of replacement turbos going to get the car to him ASAP.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Oy, seems a proper DD is really in order now. If the B6 were back together (hopefully it will be by this week) I might be able to offer it up, even if just temporary.
    2001.5 A4 1.8TQM: FrankenTurbo, Motoza E85/91, 750cc, 3" MAF, 3bar MAP, 3" HFC, custom 2.5" exhaust, TR18T FMIC, DW200 pump, I.E. con rods, Eibach Pro-Street coilovers, 034 RSB, A8/TT front & S4 rear brakes, SS brake lines, JHM SS/linkage, ECS RA4 + B7 RS4 clutch, 4:1 center diff, 034 street mounts, E-fan, catch can, Apikol diff mount, Stern diff bushings, Nexus 7 HU, custom sound system, bixenon, sport cloths.

2004 A4 1.8TQM USP: APR Stage 3+, DSMIC, S4 mirrors, RNSE

Past: 1998.5 A4 1.8TM

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Finally making some headway, the turbos are shipping today. Ended up getting K24 journal bearings from SRM thanks to Blake at ETspec and am also working on custom wastegate actuator rods with Cinesnow that will allow us to run Turbosmart actuators as a plug and play solution.

I think having a great set of wastegates paired with the K24s will make for a killer setup, thankfully my car is mechanically 100% and has all supporting mods in place so it's a matter of taking the old turbos off and throwing the new set on. More to come!

Veteran Member Four Rings jaychen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Great work dude!
    2000 Achat S4

Veteran Member Three Rings slow ride's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What made you switch from the ball bearing ones, just time?
    02' Corvette ZO6 383 TT 1012whp 990wtq
    02' Tundra
    00' S4

SOLD 93' AWD Talon 523whp 486wtq

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I just couldn't sit around and wait for the custom wastegate setup to be ironed out since it's so early in the R&D stage at this point, especially given SRM doesn't have a timeline to completion. Blake has been doing all the tuning and shakedown testing on SRM's B5 S4 avant that has a BB K24 set and he said it's hard for him to say it's worth the additional cost (performance not much higher than JB K24s, durability unknown, etc.) over a JB K24.

The Achilles heel on K24s has always been the wastegates, having a good set of wastegates on there will really let them shine with better and more consistent spool and boost control. Blake is not even going to work on my car without putting better wastegates on lol.

Should be able to hit a reliable 550-600whp on E85 on the car as it's setup.

AZ Member #

I see and agree on the power level. I've had some issues with my turboconcepts gates, nothing huge, but couldn't get the ripple out of the ramp up. The turbos are working well though and make decent boost (over 25 at some points in the midrange).
    02' Corvette ZO6 383 TT 1012whp 990wtq
    02' Tundra
    00' S4

SOLD 93' AWD Talon 523whp 486wtq

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I've heard good feedback on Turboconcepts, Justin Liew with the red avant is running them and is going strong so far. It's really surprising to me that no one has offered a decent aftermarket wastegate setup given they could easily build wastegates that work across K03s/4s as those use the same wastegates and would need only minor tweaking to fit K24s and RS6s.

That's why Marc and I are trying to finalize a solution for these so hopefully it'll open up an option for our cars going forward.

AZ Member #

I believe turboconcepts does have a adjustable gate from past communications. There larger vw offering shows one also online.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Their website isn't working well right now but I see the billet adjustable gate on a few of their VW offerings! Thankfully the K24s arrived on Friday albeit the SRM wastegates and brackets need to still be sent out, starter and Turbosmart actuators will be here Thursday at the latest!

Also got the garage cleaned out to get both cars in at the new house finally.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Got the last of the parts in, these wastegates are such nice pieces. Going to meet up with Cinesnow this weekend to get the brackets and custom rods to install these bad boys on the turbos and get everything lined up before Blake and Jon get the car to start work on it.

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Got the last of the parts in, these wastegates are such nice pieces. Going to meet up with Cinesnow this weekend to get the brackets and custom rods to install these bad boys on the turbos and get everything lined up before Blake and Jon get the car to start work on it.

Those are really nice... if my k24 wg go gonna have to copy you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

To make these work, two things are needed: a custom actuator rod and custom brackets to attach the wastegates to the turbos. Cinesnow is on his 3rd revision of both and will be the one we are going to have a few sets made from.

The cool thing is the actuator rods that come with these Turbosmart actuators are threaded so you unscrew the one that's in there and screw in the custom ones. I'll be posting about the final solution as soon as it's in my hands.

Established Member Two Rings tate182's Avatar
    AZ Member #

To make these work, two things are needed: a custom actuator rod and custom brackets to attach the wastegates to the turbos. Cinesnow is on his 3rd revision of both and will be the one we are going to have a few sets made from.

The cool thing is the actuator rods that come with these Turbosmart actuators are threaded so you unscrew the one that's in there and screw in the custom ones. I'll be posting about the final solution as soon as it's in my hands.
    Sounds awesome can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Audizine mobile app
    2001 b5 s4 stock

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Turbos and wastegates are being worked on as we speak, shooting to get them back this week or next before the car goes to San Diego 1st week of October. In other news, got a new shifter surround from a forum member. Great workmanship and will be a nice addition getting rid of the old cracked wood piece.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thank you MeinS4, really stoked on the new shifter surround. Next project is to wrap the trim that's to the side of the surround and audio/HVAC area with alcantara.