Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
    Of course, always happy to help where I can! Drivetrain should be getting pulled either last night or today, thankfully the turbos seem to be unscathed from any debris that might have come off from the engine blowing.
    All that work and throwing the k04 snails back in? Yooooou crraazy

Just kidding man. Gives you something to upgrade later if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

They are actually full RS6 CHRAs and custom Compturbo billet RS6 wheels in a machined out K04 housing (cold and hot). I'll try to dig it up exact specs but these turbos have exceeded everyone's expectations, there was a ton of headroom left on the tune (deliberately conservative to safeguard the stock motor). Based on where we were at on the most recent tune revision, my tuner is confident with timing and boost turned up now that the motor isn't a limitation we can hit 525whp on E85 along with RS4 cams and same supporting mods as before.

Bottom line is that these turbos are in a different league based on what we've seen to date than PJK04s or the K04 hybrids that are out there currently. They spool great (a touch later than K04s), don't drop off at the top end, make great power, and are overall amazing for my driving needs. That's my hands on experience to this point, I will be getting some hard data and vbox runs when the car is broken in and running to get some empirical data.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 305K - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - K04/RS6 Hybrids - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG Lines - AWE Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - DriveshaftShop - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

Veteran Member Four Rings jaychen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I will be getting some hard data and vbox runs when the car is broken in and running to get some empirical data.
    I like this!

100-200 (kph) would be nice to know, if you have the real estate to make it happen easily.
    2000 Achat S4

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I talked to Tweets over PM here and there about borrowing their Vbox but it probably won't be available until middle of this year from what he said.

In other news, got some updates from Marc. Engine is progressing nicely and will be going back into the car this week with the goal of having a first start this weekend. Also picking up an APR bipipe and ordered a few miscellaneous things like new front axle bolts since I have two new OEM units going in.

Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 305K - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - K04/RS6 Hybrids - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG Lines - AWE Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - DriveshaftShop - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

Veteran Member Four Rings Hyphy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Homie - what credit card do you use? I hope you're getting x2 points for all those purchases. haha - I'm happy it's all coming together! Thanks for taking the time to keep us in the loop.
    Nick
    I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Ha, I wish I was rewarded in some way for spending more on this car! Got some great progress yesterday, new motor is getting close to completion barring a few little parts we came across that needed to be replaced like a tiny hairline crack in the new water pump I installed 10k miles ago along with the timing belt, found out the Stern motor mounts had a lot of play, and the power steering line wasn't replaced like it was supposed to be during the last build. Also got to break down the old motor and see the destruction first hand.

Long story short, 5 holes in the block, snapped the rod on cylinder 6 in half, and the rod blowing out the block destroyed my starter motor. Good news is the Fx400 clutch looks brand new still and the turbos are unharmed.

Parts ordered today overnight shipping:

- 034 billet motor mounts
    - 034 power steering hose
    - New waterpump
    - New starter motor
    - Coolant hard pipe and oil dipstick o-rings
    - Crank center lock pin/bolt

And some carnage pictures:

Senior Member Three Rings MyXbfS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 Silver B5 S4(His), 2002 Laser Red B5 S4(Mine) 2005 Blk B6 S4

And some carnage pictures:

I just yelled out words that weren't very ladylike out loud by myself right now

WOW!
    2002 Laser Red B5 S4 Sedan
    Tiptronic w/ Onyx interior
    1 of 16 sold in US - AoA

Senior Member Three Rings Corradovolksb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S4 and 2007 GMC Yukon

Glad your making progress bro. Those last few pictures scare me and make me want to do rods now!! Keep it up you guys are close to getting it running again.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

It was impossible to see the two holes in the block until the engine was disassembled but man that broken rod really messed things up while destroying itself. I believe today is the day I finally put in my last part order for the build, so much money adding up. But it'll be an amazing feeling to have the car running, there is literally not a single component in or around the engine that isn't brand new at this point.

- OEM water pump
    - New Bosch starter
    - Coolant hard pipe o-rings, oil dipstick o-ring
    - 034 solid engine mounts
    - 034 power steering pump
    - New crankshaft gear bolt
    - New DLC washer from Scotty @Advanced Automotion
    - Center diff rear output bearing & seal from Scotty

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Also know there's a gun enthusiast page on here, but is there anything bike specific? Got back in the mountain biking game this weekend after taking a break a few years after my last bike got stolen.

Breezer Cloud 9, CF frame, Rockshox SID fork, raceface/Shimano XT component set, curious if there are other cycling junkies on here.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

What is the DLC washer and why did you need a diff output bearing? Were you having sounds? Sorry if this has been answered but it's really hard to search through everything.

Build is looking good my friend

Established Member Three Rings Cysco abt S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hard pipe

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by vavJETTAw36 View Post
    What is the DLC washer and why did you need a diff output bearing? Were you having sounds? Sorry if this has been answered but it's really hard to search through everything.

Build is looking good my friend

It's the washer that goes between the crank and the crankshaft gear bolt, it's a not often talked about weakspot and if that little washer fails supposedly your engine is in trouble. Scotty has new ones, I did it just because it's super cheap and peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cysco abt S4 View Post
    Hard pipe
    Very hard pipe.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Diamond laser coated or something like that

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

^Yup, his are coated. Wish I knew the exact mechanics behind replacing it but went off Cinesnow's recommendation.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

looking good man! I CANNOT WAIT to build my motor and make it perfect. HAHA. having a shaved bay car i take pride in my bays (not bae) as they say clean.

keep up the good work!

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thanks man! It's such a good feeling to have a all this stuff brand new and worry free with no loose ends.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks man! It's such a good feeling to have a all this stuff brand new and worry free with no loose ends.
    this is the 100% truth. the way you are going about the build is exactly how i did my other car. it is also how i do this one. Replace as much new as possible and with OEM equipment.

Senior Member Three Rings ElementR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Volvo S60R Cavalli Turbo, '93 Mustang Cobra Twin Turbo 347cid, '01 B5 S4 Tial 605's

It's the washer that goes between the crank and the crankshaft gear bolt, it's a not often talked about weakspot and if that little washer fails supposedly your engine is in trouble. Scotty has new ones, I did it just because it's super cheap and peace of mind.

Still don't understand the purpose or moreover the need for this washer. No mention of it in the Bentley manual and doesn't seem to be required for proper belt alignment wrt the crank sprocket. ECS doesn't mention it in their timing belt write-up either...

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...34-10-2012.pdf
    2001 Silver/Black S4, Built engine (RPM rods, ARP hardware, Mahle pistons, Supertech valvetrain, etc), Tial 605's @25psi on 93 oct, JHM FMIC, JHM full trans rebuilt/upgrade, 3" SS dp + CBE, Vast intake + bipipes + tune, ST Coilovers, Hotchkis Swaybars, RS4 wheels and interior goodies.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I was told those are friction washers and help prevent the possibility of the crankshaft gear bolt from loosening, another thing is these crankshaft gear bolts are one time use like axle shoulder bolts so they should be replaced anytime the bolt is removed.

Established Member Three Rings Cysco abt S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hahaha worry free

Sent from my HTC331ZLVWPP using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Three Rings ElementR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Volvo S60R Cavalli Turbo, '93 Mustang Cobra Twin Turbo 347cid, '01 B5 S4 Tial 605's

I was told those are friction washers and help prevent the possibility of the crankshaft gear bolt from loosening, another thing is these crankshaft gear bolts are one time use like axle shoulder bolts so they should be replaced anytime the bolt is removed.
    Well, after applying what's probably 400-500 lb-ft of torque to the bolt, I'd be shocked if it ever came loose! That considers install torque + 180 deg to stretch. And yes, agree - always replace them. You can actually see the stretch visually if you compare old and new bolts.
    2001 Silver/Black S4, Built engine (RPM rods, ARP hardware, Mahle pistons, Supertech valvetrain, etc), Tial 605's @25psi on 93 oct, JHM FMIC, JHM full trans rebuilt/upgrade, 3" SS dp + CBE, Vast intake + bipipes + tune, ST Coilovers, Hotchkis Swaybars, RS4 wheels and interior goodies.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cysco abt S4 View Post
    Hahaha worry free

Sent from my HTC331ZLVWPP using Audizine mobile app
    Lol

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I believe the keyway in the timing belt drive gear is a weak point and has failed a number of times in the past. The DLC washer should theoretically take some of the strain off the keyway by helping hold the pulley in place due to the extra friction between the pulley and the crank.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Good to know. Thanks man. I'll be ordering one just because. IF something does go wrong with my build I will know it wasn't that little sucker.

Veteran Member Three Rings slow ride's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by oppositelock View Post
    I believe the keyway in the timing belt drive gear is a weak point and has failed a number of times in the past. The DLC washer should theoretically take some of the strain off the keyway by helping hold the pulley in place due to the extra friction between the pulley and the crank.
    Correct, and being it also drives our accessories seems to be a decent amount of load for what amounts to be just a bit of keyway engagement. I have had the timing sprocket off my car twice and not noticed any issues, but I always replace the crank bolt and torque to spec.
    02' Corvette ZO6 383 TT 1012whp 990wtq
    02' Tundra
    00' S4

SOLD 93' AWD Talon 523whp 486wtq

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Good to know, thanks for the info guys. Just never see anyone mention it ever so was interested if anyone knew much about that washer.

Veteran Member Three Rings Gabe.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Nogaro B5 S4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Also know there's a gun enthusiast page on here, but is there anything bike specific? Got back in the mountain biking game this weekend after taking a break a few years after my last bike got stolen.

Breezer Cloud 9, CF frame, Rockshox SID fork, raceface/Shimano XT component set, curious if there are other cycling junkies on here.

Looks awesome Christian, glad to see the car is coming together too.

Ironically I built up a new mountain bike a few months ago after my old one was stolen a year and a half ago. Santa Cruz Superlight with a lot of upgraded/lightened components. I'm always down to ride!
    lilliiilliiliilliilil
    Crafted Wealth Management

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Nice Gabe, we should definitely ride sometime! I've been getting the mod bug for the bike which is not good for my wallet next to the damn B5, bummer about your last bike getting stolen too. Truly sucks, I actually found mine on Craigslist 2 years later but the cops wouldn't do anything about it.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '04 Mazdaspeed MX-5

Bottom line is that these turbos are in a different league based on what we've seen to date than PJK04s or the K04 hybrids that are out there currently.
    Looking forward to reviewing some performance data on these turbochargers.
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm going to do my best to get the exact specs from Compturbo as well as more specifics on what goes into these turbos.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '04 Mazdaspeed MX-5

I'm going to do my best to get the exact specs from Compturbo as well as more specifics on what goes into these turbos.
    I'm referring to performing on the car in a manner that puts them in a different league from the other k04-hybrids. That is quite a feat.
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I will be getting a Vbox and getting hard data when the car is running and tuned along with posting logs.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Updates from the Marc, making progress. Drivetrain is inching closer to going back in the car and a bunch of things like a new rear output bearing and seal for the center diff along with a RSB and bracket upgrade went in as well. Reason for that bearing and seal being replaced is my rebuilt 01e I bought sat for a while which did no favors to that bearing and in turn was very noisy. Shout out to Scotty @ AA for supplying this.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Man thats gonna be one dialed car when its done!

2001.5 Silver S4 Avant TIP -> 6MT + k04s (In Progress)

2001.5 Santorin S4 6mt - srm k24 build [Totaled]

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I am over the moon, will be picking it up Saturday knock on wood. It's been a long 4 months.

Senior Member Two Rings insomniacxp1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01.5 B5 S4

jesus christ man, all out or nothing, need more pics though!
    Current : 01.5 Imola S4. Stage 3 F21's/To much to list

- 02 A4 1.8t (Gone, but missin it) : Custom bent welded 2.5" cat-back exhaust with magnaflow mufflers/Forge/Redline

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Hope to have more in the next few days, I literally want to fast forward to getting the car already.

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Awesome refresh, great job, dude!
    Formula1 died with the introduction of DRS and KERS.
    RallyNorthAmerica - Team Stop Texting
    IG: Downhill_A4
    "If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

Senior Member Three Rings Wagonholic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 B5 S4 Avant (Laser Red)
    Items for Sale

Hope to have more in the next few days, I literally want to fast forward to getting the car already.
    I KNOW THIS FEELING.

Looking good man. Can't wait to have both of our cars on the road again.
    Justin
    I have a major problem, I'm a boost addict and a wagon addict
    #toomuchboost #racewagon #becauseracecar
    B5 S4 Avant - Laser Red. 6-speed Manual. 1 of 18. Unleashed by STUKLR
    Going big or going home. Doing a garage build. View my build thread.
    #YEengineering