Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Senior Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Found a new one, you actually shouldn't be able to turn that hardpipe hence why it was leaking. So I ordered a new one along with a new o-ring so that should solve that.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 305K - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - K04/RS6 Hybrids - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG Lines - AWE Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - DriveshaftShop - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Shoutout to Clutchmasters for turning around the flywheel and clutch in under 2 days, great service from them. Next up are the turbos and the rest of the components are arriving before Friday so hopefully the car will be back together this weekend or early next week.

Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 305K - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - K04/RS6 Hybrids - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG Lines - AWE Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - DriveshaftShop - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
    Found a new one, you actually shouldn't be able to turn that hardpipe hence why it was leaking. So I ordered a new one along with a new o-ring so that should solve that.
    Huh? What you talking about Willis? The hardline attaches to the "distributor" via o ring, same sized one that pushes into the block (pictured above). That said, it's fine that it turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Well I got a new (used) one just in case, along with a handful of new o-rings. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it for the sake of time.

Veteran Member Four Rings sherbet's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '63 Thunderbird
    Items for Sale

For the record (since it was discussed earlier here), the AWE IC's are more than adequate for a mild stage 3 setup. I have a set of the OG AWE/MacNeil IC's on my stg 3 K04 car and those always performed flawlessly. Back in my fast and furious days I used to do highway pulls for fun with my buddies all the time. Back to back to back runs to 150+ and they honestly never felt heat soaked.

My k03 Avant also has a set of the newer AWE IC's and they are awesome on that as well. I guess I would consider them to perform well on both cars for the simple fact that I have never thought about heat soak once since installing them on both.

granted, at higher power levels they might start to become overwhelmed, but for ~400-450whp they seem perfect to me.
    Last edited by sherbet; 04-25-2017 at 06:35 PM.
    B5S4 Sedan/ Stg lll/6MT/ Trouble
    B5S4 Avant/ Stg ll/6MT/Daily

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I have had no issues with my AWE intercoolers, although if the car came with stock intercoolers I'd go with the SRM V3s.

On another note, good and bad news. Good news was that Compturbo replaced and refreshed all internals for the turbos. Bad news, the cause of the noise on the driver's side turbo while in boost was the billet compressor wheel was damaged. Don't know what caused it, but they are replacing it with another billet wheel that needs to be machined to match the current one which will take 5 to 8 days.

At least this got caught now, would have failed down the road which would be awful.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

So FOD ?

AZ Member #

Was the turbo sound after the blown motor or before?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Well I don't know exactly what caused it, Comp couldn't say other than speculate. The exhaust wheels had no damage though so that means debris from the old motor blowing didn't make it into the turbos, but Comp said there was play in the driver's side turbo that could have caused the wheel to contact the compressor housing.

I didn't really get into boost until after I passed 1K miles of break-in and the turbo would only make noise above 10psi which is when I first heard it.

Veteran Member Four Rings jballou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Fit

Well I don't know exactly what caused it, Comp couldn't say other than speculate. The exhaust wheels had no damage though so that means debris from the old motor blowing didn't make it into the turbos, but Comp said there was play in the driver's side turbo that could have caused the wheel to contact the compressor housing.

I didn't really get into boost until after I passed 1K miles of break-in and the turbo would only make noise above 10psi which is when I first heard it.

They should warranty that then... Those turbos rebuilt by them before they went to you. Brand new wheels, bearings, inlets. Only thing that was not new was the exhaust housing and wastegates.
    2000 Audi S4 Stage 3,000 Million +
    Some crap just thrown together, puzzlingly making more power....

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/jsballou

www.tvme.info

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The guy who's there now (Ernie) remembers these turbos well, unfortunately it's far outside the time frame where warranty would cover. It's not an expensive fix thankfully, need to double check and make sure both wastegates are synced up too.

Veteran Member Four Rings jballou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Fit

The guy who's there now (Ernie) remembers these turbos well, unfortunately it's far outside the time frame where warranty would cover. It's not an expensive fix thankfully, need to double check and make sure both wastegates are synced up too.

True, they sat in a box for a long while.
    2000 Audi S4 Stage 3,000 Million +
    Some crap just thrown together, puzzlingly making more power....

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/jsballou

www.tvme.info

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The car will be seeing 28-30psi so I'm just glad these are getting a clean bill of health before that, just a waiting game to get them back and the car back together.

Veteran Member Four Rings NYEuroTuner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4.
    Items for Sale

Glad to see the progress brother. Can't wait to cruise over to Wuste with you guys.
    -- George
    SEMPER FI
    Build Thread--------------->My VR6 Journey<-Click it, Click it good.
    IABEDINDUSTRIES

Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIS$'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

The car will be seeing 28-30psi so I'm just glad these are getting a clean bill of health before that, just a waiting game to get them back and the car back together.
    Hows the exhaust/DP's holding up? I ask cause i think im going to go with the same setup.
    2010 Audi A5 S-line Quattro Monza 6MT
    2000 Audi S4 Silver (Project)

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Exhaust and downpipes are perfect, not a single thing wrong with them. Very happy with the SSAC setup and I'd highly recommend them.

Established Member Three Rings Cysco abt S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've heard no bad things about ssac exhaust except they don't cost enough

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Ditto Chris, although make sure you use exhaust gasket/sealer on the joints so you get zero exhaust leaks.

Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIS$'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cysco abt S4 View Post
    I've heard no bad things about ssac exhaust except they don't cost enough
    Ditto Chris, although make sure you use exhaust gasket/sealer on the joints so you get zero exhaust leaks.
    Thanks Guys!
    2010 Audi A5 S-line Quattro Monza 6MT
    2000 Audi S4 Silver (Project)

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Anytime! No real updates other than USPS seemingly loosing the new turbo oil distributor and hard pipe I ordered, no big deal since I have new o-rings to seal the existing one. Comp is machining a new compressor wheel for the driver's side turbo and then throwing it back together so that's really the only thing holding up putting the car back together at this point.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Not much to update, Comp Turbo is delayed because their machinist has a lot of work and they are only waiting on a new billet wheel for the driver's side turbo. In other news, finally cleaned up and took apart my replacement Imola doors so Marc can throw those on the car to finally replace the damaged DS doors. Reusing the door frame, electronics, etc. in the current doors but installing in these new skins.

These are pretty mint, just need a thorough polishing.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Could you do a little write up or explain door skin replacement? I need to replace my passenger door and am not familiar. Thank you.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Here's my rough step by step, starting with a DIY on getting the interior door panel removed to start the process: https://www.audiworld.com/tech/int49.shtml

Step 2: after removing the door panel, unbolt the 4 screws the arrows are pointing at.

Step 3: un-clip all the wiring holders attached to the door skin and door frame so you can pull the door frame out of the door skin.

Step 4: pull door frame out, be mindful of the door lock rod and the wire connecting the door handle pull to the mechanism as you pull the two parts of the door apart.

Step 5: swap your door lock cylinder from the older door (if you're replacing the front door).

Step 5: you will now have the door frame and glass by itself, installation of the new door skin is opposite of removal. It's a really easy job since the glass, window mechanisms, etc are all attached to the frame. Once you get the door off and look at it, it'll be really self explanatory.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thank you!

Active Member One Ring Hiduke73's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Don't forget to mark the position of the shims. Or completely forget them like I almost did

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

^Definitely follow what he said!

Unfortunately no real updates, the turbos should be ready this Friday which means the car will go back together quickly. Just frustrating with the delays from Comp Turbo. They had to make a new billet compressor wheel for the driver's side turbo, and after finishing the first new wheel it wouldn't balance right so another had to be made and that's what I'm waiting on. Getting nervous since Wuste is coming up.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Well, doesn't seem like I can catch a break. Got the turbos delivered from Comp Turbo, and one of them was clearly dropped by them at some point which you can tell because the damage was painted over during their process. Completely stripped out one of the mounting holes (turbo to exhaust manifold) and nicked the coolant flange. Really pissed.

So they are at a machine shop that will fix it today so they can go back on the car tonight, I'm in awe Comp would even send turbo out like this.

Senior Member Four Rings blitz2190's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T Quattro, 2.7T swap Stage 3 APR 6 speed
    Items for Sale

why not return and get a new one? or at least some kind of compensation for the delays and poor quality.
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    2.7T Swap Wiring Guide (Psst this is a link)
    New Build In progress built 2.7 STK 2004 B6 A4- Thread and pic to come

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Because these aren't off the shelf turbos, it has custom billet wheels, rs6 compressor housing, K04 hotside, RS6 hotside wheel, and the housings machined out all originally done by Comp. So I couldn't just take it to any turbo shop because the billet wheels are Comp's own design.

AZ Member #

That looks like more than a drop... Wtf?

Did the machine shop say how they're gonna repair it?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The shop it's at said it was more likely caused by some jackass wailing at it with a hammer during disassembly, once I get the issue resolved and a full diagnosis I will be raising hell at Comp. The machine shop is trying but it's dicey since there isn't a ton of material to work with due to the concern of compromising the strength of the surrounding metal.

Established Member Three Rings Cysco abt S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That's more than a single drop for sure I have spare turbos to test this theory if you want

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Great news is that the shop was able to helicoil both the damaged holes AND level/deck the mounting surface since it was bent up from the damage. Also had them check the balance (VSR) and check through the turbos a final time to ensure everything was good. They are getting picked up and put back on the car this morning finally.