Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It's a combination of being too deep into this to stop now and really wanting the car to be 110% so I can finally enjoy it to the max! Although doing things because you're too deep into the project is not the healthiest approach for my wallet lol.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 308K - 2.5sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

Veteran Member Four Rings jaychen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Definitely not the healthiest approach but you bought a b5 s4 so that went out the window a long time ago :)

Great to hear you're still motivated to get this bad boy seeing it's full potential
    2000 Achat S4

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

How's it running? Any updates?

2001.5 Silver S4 Avant TIP -> 6MT + k04s

2001.5 Santorin S4 6mt - srm k24 build [Totaled]

IG: CJ_s4

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

No updates, it's running OK but there's definitely a problem (most likely head related). Going to SD so Blake Beadle and his friend can diagnose and fix, have a spare set of known good 2.7 heads ready to go if that does indeed turn out to be the culprit.

It would be a shame after all the money I dumped into the current heads with an entire new valvetrain.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 308K - 2.5sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Super stoked to have dropped off the car with Jon and Blake yesterday, diagnosis starting today with a compression and leakdown test. That should narrow down the problem very quickly and will come up with a plan of action once that's done.

Last edited by christianb5s4; 07-25-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings Believer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Been following this build for a while, hoping you can get the issues all sorted and drive this beast.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Engine seems healthy, turned out the power and drive-ability issues were caused by the incorrect MAP sensor being installed. There was a 3bar on the car prior to the motor blowing and a stock one was put back in after, doh.

New 3bar MAP is in and car is running very well again, only two things Blake and Jon are taking care of are readjusting the wastegates and fixing the minor oil leak. Hoping to get the car back this week.

Veteran Member Four Rings Believer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
    Engine seems healthy, turned out the power and drive-ability issues were caused by the incorrect MAP sensor being installed. There was a 3bar on the car prior to the motor blowing and a stock one was put back in after, doh.

New 3bar MAP is in and car is running very well again, only two things Blake and Jon are taking care of are readjusting the wastegates and fixing the minor oil leak. Hoping to get the car back this week.
    This is much better news than head issues! Vids once it's sorted??

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I agree with you there lol, a lot of money went into a new OEM valvetrain and would've been seriously bummed about having that all go to waste. Definitely will have videos coming, been watching my old videos for inspiration through this mess lol.

This was just on a base e85 tune, 24psi peak and no timing. Stock motor.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quick update: Blake and Jon have been working through the car and found a bunch of loose bolts and connections, also found the wastegates needed to be adjusted up significantly. With all that taken care of, Blake reported the car was down to 3.2 second FATs and moving air like it should. After adjusting fueling, adding in timing and fine tuning the tune he thinks we'll be in the high 2 sec FATs range.

Good thing is the motor is healthy and the turbos are OK for now albeit the wastegates are pretty soft and needed a lot of pre-load to hit desired boost request, we will see what this setup produces and then in a year or two bump up to larger turbos.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quick update: Blake and Jon have been working through the car and found a bunch of loose bolts and connections, also found the wastegates needed to be adjusted up significantly. With all that taken care of, Blake reported the car was down to 3.2 second FATs and moving air like it should. After adjusting fueling, adding in timing and fine tuning the tune he thinks we'll be in the high 2 sec FATs range.

Good thing is the motor is healthy and the turbos are OK for now albeit the wastegates are pretty soft and needed a lot of pre-load to hit desired boost request, we will see what this setup produces and then in a year or two bump up to larger turbos.
    Great to hear.

What happened with the smoking issue? Swapped heads? Sorry if it's already been mentioned.
    2000 Achat S4

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The smoking issue has not shown up at all since everything got tightened down and they've put quite a few hard miles to shake and test the car down. Compression test showed 180+, as a precaution we are doing a leakdown on the heads to make sure everything is good. But, with the wastegates adjusted some more and Blake doing his tuning wizardry, the car is sub 3 second FATs and ripping per Blake.

I think it's almost done, just some last items to check off and I'll be picking it up.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Finally got her back and really really stoked it's running 110% at long last. Blake and Jon put a lot of work into making sure everything was shaken down and fixed any issues which resulted in the car running really strong and proper. Car is solidly sub 3 second FATs in warm weather and pulls much harder up top with the RS4 cams and feels significantly faster than pre-stock motor blow.

Engine is healthy passing a leakdown test and all cylinder having 175-190psi of compression, no more burning oil, and the only remaining issue is a possible bunk Bosch starter (which was brand new) since the wiring, alternator, grounds etc checked out but the sporadic slower crank still remains.

The limiting factor is the wastegates on the turbos being fairly weak and only letting us run 25psi. I'll rock this setup for a year or so and move up to the SRM BB K24s which Blake mentioned are looking promising based on a test mule he's got to see how the turbos perform and their longevity. Also rolled over 308K miles on the way home.

Last edited by christianb5s4; 07-25-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings wannabeS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 S4 Avant

Glad to hear that!!! Now go out and get some videos.
    Brilliant Black S4 Avant
    ** Frankenturbo|034|FastIntentions|Podi|RingerRacing|Accuair|CCW **
    #BODENARMY

Veteran Member Three Rings slow ride's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So I forget RS4 intake cams and stock heads? They never did fine an oil leak or burning oil then right? You might squeak out a few more ponies if you adjust the gate cracking pressure more OR added a extra spring or higher spring actuators, but turbos like these are about out of steam at 25psi anyway. You guys would have to retune boost also after all that.

I wish I had rods and a few more things for my car. I've already got one crazy tt project car so 2 can really wear you out lol.
    02' Corvette ZO6 383 TT 1012whp 990wtq
    02' Tundra
    00' S4

SOLD 93' AWD Talon 523whp 486wtq

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'll definitely be making some videos, in 85-90 degree temps and humidity the car was hitting 2.8/2.9 second FATs consistently. Blake thinks it'll be around 2.5-2.6 in cooler weather. I'm just really happy I finally get to enjoy it now, it's been a long journey.

Slow Ride: the wastegates are pretty much at the max as far as pre-load is concerned, the oil leak is without doubt the turbo oil feed line where it meets the passenger side turbo. It's not a big leak more of an annoyance but of course it's in one of the biggest PITA spots on a B5 S4. I'll just live with it for now.

Got some Passat b5.5 low profile windshield wiper arms to install tonight and hashing a deal on a killer double DIN head unit with everything to plug and play. Not sure what's left I could do to get more power on this setup unless there are any breather mods I could do.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Small update; been driving the car around and it's running fantastic. I might take a log to send to Blake next week to make sure everything is still as it should be but the car rips. Oil leak seems to have stopped as well. Now I just need to DIY a ramp for the driveway at my new place since it scrapes the hell out of my bumper.

Last edited by christianb5s4; 07-25-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Established Member Two Rings Hiduke73's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How bout a follow up on the tint? I'm interested in getting it but just wonder if it worth it

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

It's well worth it to me, really cleans up the car and gives a lot of heat rejection and privacy (my two key factors). I went with 3M colorstable and did 20% on the rears and 35% on the front windows. Last step after a new windshield is to have 3M Crystalline 70 installed which frankly makes an astounding difference with how much heat gets into the car.

Literally, having Crystalline on the windshield is so effective you don't need a windshield sun visor and makes a big difference with heat in the car. It's almost completely clear too.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Pictures don't seem to work. Glad to hear it's all coming up milhouse for you!
    2000 Achat S4

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Are any of the ones on this page not working? I know the older pages don't thanks to the POS photobucket fiasco.

Established Member Two Rings Hiduke73's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Are any of the ones on this page not working? I know the older pages don't thanks to the POS photobucket fiasco.
    None on this page for me

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'll definitely be making some videos, in 85-90 degree temps and humidity the car was hitting 2.8/2.9 second FATs consistently. Blake thinks it'll be around 2.5-2.6 in cooler weather. I'm just really happy I finally get to enjoy it now, it's been a long journey.
    is that on E85 or pump gas?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I fixed the pictures so hopefully they start showing up now. This is on E85, added some heat shielding sleeves to the ECS coil conversion looms since they get too close to the exhaust manifolds for comfort. If anyone is running this conversion, I highly recommend using this stuff to keep the wiring safe especially when you're running the car hard:

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm on the verge of deciding to go a different direction with the turbos, between the shit service I got from Compturbo, the awfully soft wastegates they installed, and the driver's side turbo already beginning to make noise, I'm going to ditch them and push for a refund.

Next round will be the SRM BB K24s and thankfully, they will bolt up since the inlets, downpipes, hardware, built motor, etc are all set up for them. Hoping to get this kicked off in September after Socal Euro and shooting for a healthy 600+whp on E85.

While the car is performing well, the soft wastegates mean that boost levels I can run are limited to 24ish psi and boost comes in slower and I didn't build the car to not have it at it's full potential.

Veteran Member Three Rings Corradovolksb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

on going with the BB K24s I'm happy with my JB K24s but would have loved to have the BB version as an option when I bought mine.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Feedback I've seen/heard has been positive thus far, obviously a bit of a risk since long term durability has yet to be seen and the JB K24s are proven.

Established Member Three Rings tate182's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I fixed the pictures so hopefully they start showing up now. This is on E85, added some heat shielding sleeves to the ECS coil conversion looms since they get too close to the exhaust manifolds for comfort. If anyone is running this conversion, I highly recommend using this stuff to keep the wiring safe especially when you're running the car hard:

Where did you get those reflective sleeves from anywhere special?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Audizine mobile app
    2001 b5 s4 stock

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I got them here, the velcro has held so far and have no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Have you considered any Tial offerings?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I thought about going Tial 770xr but that would require a lot more work to change over to, including new downpipes and related Tial hardware. This is what I'm planning for next round:

- SRM BB K24s
    - 1000cc EV14s
    - Turbosmart wastegate actuators
    - Brakes: 18Z fronts, B7 S4 rears

All the rest of the car is setup for those turbos already so it's a relatively simple changeover. Shooting for a reliable 600-625whp on E85, the car is somewhere around 500whp or a touch more as it sits now.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Feeling like a can't catch a break here. Driver's side turbo (the one that was jacked up by Compturbo) is already making noise and the exhaust seal is showing signs of leaking when the car is hot. Unbelievable these turbos are already failing 2K miles after a fresh rebuild, especially because prior to the stock motor blowing they only had 4K miles on them before I needed to send them for rebuild. Not to mention they almost ruined the exhaust housing on one turbo and took 2 months to rebuild.

Hashing out the game plan with my tuner for the K24 BBs, Tial wastegates, and injectors. Time frame for getting this done is being accelerated.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Persevere .... Persevere

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Order was placed a few weeks ago for the BB K24s, custom Tial wastegate setups. I'm just hoping the driver's side turbo lasts that long with the goal of swapping turbos mid-late September.

Established Member Four Rings Cysco abt S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm glad you went tail
    Turbo smarts have spring problems
    We are starting a tail build for my pops

Senior Member Three Rings cinesnow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    stg 3+ b5 s4 (black) b5 s4 (white) '01 allroad 6mt, 993 targa, '05.5 elise, '65 356c

Seeing as i'm the only b5 s4 with turbosmart wg's - I have to strongly disagree chris, mine rip all the way to 32lbs if desired without any spring problems. perhaps you can cite the person who is having this problem? Iv'e been through your car and it dosen't have any of those parts in it... Not to mention their products use multipule springs to create the desired setup. Furthermore, if one did have an issue they are based in ontario and the president of the conpany would be more than happy to talk to customer with an issue and probably just walk into the warehouse and switch out the part. They have the best customer service one could hope to experience.

Turbosmart or Tail are superior options, can't wait to see the new setup christian.
    Last edited by cinesnow; 08-16-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    Racing is life, everything that happens before or after is just waiting...

Established Member Four Rings Cysco abt S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cinesnow View Post
    Seeing as i'm the only b5 s4 with turbosmart wg's - I have to strongly disagree chris, mine rip all the way to 32lbs if desired without any spring problems. perhaps you can cite the person who is having this problem? Iv'e been through your car and it dosen't have any of those parts in it... Not to mention their products use multipule springs to create the desired setup. Furthermore, if one did have an issue they are based in ontario and the president of the conpany would be more than happy to talk to customer with an issue and probably just walk into the warehouse and switch out the part. They have the best customer service one could hope to experience.

Turbosmart or Tail are superior options, can't wait to see the new setup christian.
    and the info came from Kris at precision motion Porsche and Euro in gt

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

No objections to banter on different options, will post my setup when it comes in. Need this to get cracking asap before this POS turbo has a chance to blow.

Veteran Member Three Rings Corradovolksb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Make a road trip to vegas and get them right out of Sean's hands

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I would if the turbos and wastegate brackets were ready! So far I don't have updates on those. The turbos are ready but the brackets being finalized and fabricated is not quite there yet.