Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Four Rings Bordom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Bordom's S4's New Lease On Life

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I didn't think I would ever create a build thread in this forum, but recent events have culminated in my opportunity to purchase an 01.5 S4. I did just that, and for a steal at $2200. Pictures are a must here, so lets not waste more time.

Here she is:

This is where the money is on the car. Absolutely mint interior. I will not be keeping that shift knob.

Mandatory engine bay pic (from ad)

It needs a cam adjuster seal, valve cover gaskets, alternator and an o2 sensor. A complete respray is in order after this coming winter. Rust is present on both front fenders, rear trunk (swapping out with my 96 euro trunk), bottoms of the doors under the lower door trim, and one patch on the driver door, if I remember correctly.

I may have a line on a Revo Stage 2 tune with downpipes and JHM short shifter to add into the car. I was not expecting such a long throw from the 01E.

Super excited to own an S
    Last edited by Bordom; 11-01-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

IG: 24_et

MODS: Revo Stg 1, 034 Billet Subframe Bushings, SSAC V2 Downpipes, Custom True Dual Exhaust, Forge 007 DVs,

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi S5 Deep Sea Blue Pearl

Good deal. 3 months ago I paid $2,900 for a clean silver tip inside and out. Paint good too. The caviet it being a tip which I have plans to swap a 6spd come winter. I just scoot around town in it for now. I have about $2,500 into it so far with a full Alcantara interior swap, full timing belt, cam seals and plugs, crank se diverters, brakes, new fluids, spider hose assembly, e-code heaights and a SSAC catback and stage 2 Daz tune ECU.

I haven't decided if I want to swap mine since that will cost be another 3k parts labor. It's a ultra clean car, but some 6spds stock can be had for 6k. I could sell mine for more than I paid and just add the difference. But I feel the need to finish what I started. And I know I bought it stock and Its up to date on matainence. Good luck with yours!

Veteran Member Four Rings seanf86's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    97 B5A4 1.8tqm, 94 Cavalier, 02 B6A4tq tiptronic (wifes) 01 B5 S4 project
    Items for Sale

wicked deal, how many kms? I picked my 01 S4 up last fall with revo stg1 and 290kms for 2k, it needed flex pipes which I just installed SSACs and a new torque converter.

AZ Member #

Thanks gents!

I bought it under the assumption it had 188k km. Upon closer inspection of the registry, it seems it has 295k km. I wasn't too happy, but it drove quite well, which tells me it has been well taken care of.

When I found the car online, i had to go see it in person. It looked clean, from the photos so I contacted the PO and setup a time the next day to look at the car. (The ad had been up less than 12 hrs) Drove up with a friend and his VCDS to scan the car. No issues except an evap code, o2 sensor code, and catalyst efficiency code (due to flex pipe).

I'm going to get these little things done Tuesday and maybe get to swapping mods in.

My plan for this is to be as reliable as possible while still being fun. College budget dictates my life currently and everything I've planned thus far is in keeping with my budget restraints. Once the 96 is reverted to stock and some mods sold, it will replace the money used to buy this, and anything extra will go towards the respray after winter q

Everything graciously mispelled by Android
    S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

MODS: Revo Stg 1, 034 Billet Subframe Bushings, SSAC V2 Downpipes, Custom True Dual Exhaust, Forge 007 DVs,

AZ Member #

Looks awesome man! You deserve it!

Now we're 2.7t buddies haha.
    '16 VW Jetta POS 1.8t Sport 5mt
    '00 A6 2.7t Quattro 6mt SOLD
    '97 A4 2.8 Quattro 5mt SOLD

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by R490 View Post
    Looks awesome man! You deserve it!

Now we're 2.7t buddies haha.
    We should throw down sometime

And yes we are! Moving through Audi's motors together lol

Do you have a new build thread?

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bordom View Post
    We should throw down sometime

And yes we are! Moving through Audi's motors together lol

Do you have a new build thread?

Haha, I win in the body roll category. For now

I actually don't have a build thread for it yet, I'm going to start one now I think! I've got some shenanigans planned though...

AZ Member #

Haha, I win in the body roll category. For now []

I actually don't have a build thread for it yet, I'm going to start one now I think! I've got some shenanigans planned though...
    Excellent! I'll be looking forward to seeing it

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

Excellent! I'll be looking forward to seeing it

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread also, haha.

Are you going to keep your B5?

AZ Member #

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread also, haha.

Are you going to keep your B5?
    Unfortunately no. She's been good to me but I cannot have two B5's, otherwise it would stay for winter duty haha.

The 96 will be put back to stock and then sold. It has an exceptionally clean body for the age, plus tons of maintenance over the years. I'm banking on that to get me $2.5-3k, or at least break even on the purchase of the S4

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

High miles Is a justification on how well it was kept. Like I said earlier I bought my clean 01.5 bone stock at 197k with a extensive carfax showing it was at high end dealerships and I'm sure kept up correctly. Did the timing belt and ALL the front seals while I was there as well as the rear cam plugs. Now sitting at 202k with a stage 2 ECU with a safe level of boost. I never beat the piss out of it anyway. Doesn't leak a drop of oil which is amazing. Even my buddy who works at VW who did my timing belt said he's amazing how strong and sound the motor is at 200k.

She's fully up to boot on matinennce aside from I still need to do the rear diff fluid. Paid $2,900 pit about $2,500 into it. Makes a great 2nd scoot around town car. My DD is S5 B8 coupe, s o sadly the B5 might be the go to winter beater. That's fine I'll still wash it often to keep it clean. I just can't decide wether it's worth my time putting another 3k into it to make it a 6spd. That would really finish the car for me. No stage 3 plans, just a turbo back exhaust ans stage 2 ECU with a 6 speed would make it a great weekend car.

But that would being my total to $8500-$9,000 lol ouch. See how quick that added up from my $2,900 original hahaha. I actually looked for 3 months for a nice 6speed around me. Nothing but beat kid owed junk or people asking 8k for stage 2 with 180k plus.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Wow, that was a steal especially if that was in CDN funds. The mirrors and interior are worth that alone. :P

AZ Member #

Unfortunately no. She's been good to me but I cannot have two B5's, otherwise it would stay for winter duty haha.

The 96 will be put back to stock and then sold. It has an exceptionally clean body for the age, plus tons of maintenance over the years. I'm banking on that to get me $2.5-3k, or at least break even on the purchase of the S4

Same, mine is on classifieds and Craigslist. I'm asking $3,900 because it's pretty clean if I don't say so myself.

It's been a great car though and I'm sure yours has been a great car also...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
    High miles Is a justification on how well it was kept. Like I said earlier I bought my clean 01.5 bone stock at 197k with a extensive carfax showing it was at high end dealerships and I'm sure kept up correctly. Did the timing belt and ALL the front seals while I was there as well as the rear cam plugs. Now sitting at 202k with a stage 2 ECU with a safe level of boost. I never beat the piss out of it anyway. Doesn't leak a drop of oil which is amazing. Even my buddy who works at VW who did my timing belt said he's amazing how strong and sound the motor is at 200k.

She's fully up to boot on matinennce aside from I still need to do the rear diff fluid. Paid $2,900 pit about $2,500 into it. Makes a great 2nd scoot around town car. My DD is S5 B8 coupe, s o sadly the B5 might be the go to winter beater. That's fine I'll still wash it often to keep it clean. I just can't decide wether it's worth my time putting another 3k into it to make it a 6spd. That would really finish the car for me. No stage 3 plans, just a turbo back exhaust ans stage 2 ECU with a 6 speed would make it a great weekend car.

But that would being my total to $8500-$9,000 lol ouch. See how quick that added up from my $2,900 original hahaha. I actually looked for 3 months for a nice 6speed around me. Nothing but beat kid owed junk or people asking 8k for stage 2 with 180k plus.
    That's a lot to spend lol. I could simply respray the car and flip it quick for some coin, but I'll drive it till it rots (unlikely in my car) or gets totaled.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxgator View Post
    Wow, that was a steal especially if that was in CDN funds. The mirrors and interior are worth that alone.
    Yeah, I'm glad ya noticed. My mother doesn't seem to think so lol
    Same, mine is on classifieds and Craigslist. I'm asking $3,900 because it's pretty clean if I don't say so myself.

It's been a great car though and I'm sure yours has been a great car also...
    Any luck trying to sell that? What kind of offers are you getting?

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

Washed the car today and I think it cleans up nice. Needs to be compounded but since it's raining the next couple days, I couldn't be bothered.

Here's a couple of the problem spots on the car. Driver door

Driver rear door

Trunk

Paint is worse than I thought in this area of the trunk. Paint completely bubbled and I broke through it

Passenger rear

Both passenger door handles. What's the fix for this? New handles with covers?

Passenger front fender

Hood. Dusted in rock chips

Driver front fender

Here is where I washed it up

Looks so much better. I especially like how the wheels cleaned up. Dirty

Clean

Amazing what a simple wash and some elbow grease will churn out

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

These cars can get expensive one way or another. $2,900 with original well kept mint paint with zero rust. No oil leaks with MINT interior I couldn't pass up even if it starts out a tip. I literally bought a s4 b5 as a fun spare car to keep my miles low on my S5 B8 coupe.

Me putting $2500 into isn't that much for the LONg list of stuff I replaced. I don't like cheaping out as it cost double sometimes in the long run. ESPECIALLY with these cars, complete different animal from a A4. Brand new e-code headlights, SSAC catback, stage 2 tune with tip chip. Timing belt, brakes yada yada. Shit adds up quick.

Now I will agree if I decide to go 6spd swap and that cost me
    Another 3k. Now that's a lot of coin. But the market currently is about 6-7k for a stock 6spd with good paint and good clean interior. I'm somewhere around $5200 total and I know exactly what's been replaced and done correctly which is peice of mind.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I'd say $2,900 was a good deal. Motor is unreal clean. I like seeing people get good deals :) I felt I sort of saved mine because when I bought it it was currently sitting. On its way to rotting for years to come probably lol.

Last edited by Vanimal; 09-07-2015 at 10:36 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Interior

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Motor

AZ Member #
    My Garage

My b5 looks so tiny next to my b8. Still love the b5 in its current form as a tip. Feels so raw driving it compared to a newer technology b8.

AZ Member #

These cars can get expensive one way or another. $2,900 with original well kept mint paint with zero rust. No oil leaks with MINT interior I couldn't pass up even if it starts out a tip. I literally bought a s4 b5 as a fun spare car to keep my miles low on my S5 B8 coupe.

Me putting $2500 into isn't that much for the LONg list of stuff I replaced. I don't like cheaping out as it cost double sometimes in the long run. ESPECIALLY with these cars, complete different animal from a A4. Brand new e-code headlights, SSAC catback, stage 2 tune with tip chip. Timing belt, brakes yada yada. Shit adds up quick.

Another 3k. Now that's a lot of coin. But the market currently is about 6-7k for a stock 6spd with good paint and good clean interior. I'm somewhere around $5200 total and I know exactly what's been replaced and done correctly which is peice of mind.
    I'd say $2,900 was a good deal. Motor is unreal clean. I like seeing people get good deals :)

Interior

Motor

Looks very clean even if it is a tip. I've noticed most tips stay well cared for.

For future reference, you should collate all your posts into one so it reduces clutter in my thread thank you

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

Looks a lot better when clean!

I'm asking $3,900 for my A4 with tons of extra crap included, no offers or anything yet. I just put it on sale yesterday and today for AZ.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Btw sorry for photo bombing your thread lol. I never shared mine that I bought for rather cheap so I felt it was a good time. ULTRA rare silver too lmao. Actually thought my first car ever out of many in silver.

AZ Member #

Looks a lot better when clean!

I'm asking $3,900 for my A4 with tons of extra crap included, no offers or anything yet. I just put it on sale yesterday and today for AZ.
    Some editing and it looks factory... almost.

Btw sorry for photo bombing your thread lol. I never shared mine that I bought for rather cheap so I felt it was a good time. ULTRA rare silver too lmao. Actually thought my first car ever out of many in silver.
    No problem. I'm envious of how clean your car is. Now I gotta match that haha

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Some editing and it looks factory... almost.

No problem. I'm envious of how clean your car is. Now I gotta match that haha

Well I am envious yours is a 6spd so we are even lol. She is clean though. Hopefully I fix that 6spd problem come winter. I drive fully in tip mode and I have a tip chip and the sport recode. But still not the same! :( I need full control over my vehicles! But again for what I paid it was hard to say no. I get compliments a lot from people at gas stations saying it's clean and people don't see them on th road much anymore. In good shape at least. I'm trying to keep mine OEM looking. And hopefully to the 6spd swap come winter along with coil overs and downpipes.

Veteran Member Four Rings King_'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    abunch of useless shit
    Items for Sale

Subbed <3

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    EH F0UR 2001 A4 1.8TqM
    4.2 SWAP...

= ST | MEYLEHD | 034 | ECS | AWE | SOUTHBEND | FCPEURO | AKMOTORSPORT |
    = DEPO | GAUGED.CA | JHM |
    BEATER 2001 A4 1.8TqM
    = K04 | HERTZ | KENWOOD | ALPINE |
    1997 A4 1.8TqM SPORT
    @Turbo_B5

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by King_ View Post
    Subbed <3

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Yay! Friends! Haha

Found door handles for the S to replace the naked handles currently on the doors.

Picking them up tomorrow
    S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Yay! Friends! Haha

Found door handles for the S to replace the naked handles currently on the doors.

Picking them up tomorrow
    Guess you don't need any parts off my 96 parts car anymore eh lol... still jealous of your black car, hate peasant silver.

Veteran Member Four Rings down_n_dapper's Avatar
    AZ Member #

sub'd mate! Keen to see how well you take car of this one considering your A4 was minto
    Maintaining a 12 year old Audi is about as expensive as Charlie Sheen's coke habbit.
    98' Ming Blue B5 2.4L 30V AGA
    | Miro 111 8.5"+225/40/18 - 9.5"+235/40/18 | Depo Projector Retrofit |
    | Dynamat | JVC Headunit + 4" F +Jl 6" R + 10" Sub | ECS Snub | EFK | Oil Pressure Gauge | Beltline Wrap |
    | Rear Muffler Delete | 3" Tips|

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by seanf86 View Post
    Guess you don't need any parts off my 96 parts car anymore eh lol... still jealous of your black car, hate peasant silver.
    No, unfortunately haha. You can buy the A4, it's for sale
    Quote Originally Posted by down_n_dapper View Post
    sub'd mate! Keen to see how well you take car of this one considering your A4 was minto
    Cheers!

The S will be shown the same love, I assure you

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

No, unfortunately haha. You can buy the A4, it's for sale
    Haha its all good, I've got enough Audi's

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings UroTuning's Avatar
    AZ Member #

MMMMM Negaro interior

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle@UroTuning View Post
    MMMMM Negaro interior
    Lol, Nogaro....

I'd say $2,900 was a good deal. Motor is unreal clean. I like seeing people get good deals :) I felt I sort of saved mine because when I bought it it was currently sitting. On its way to rotting for years to come probably lol.
    Motor
    My b5 looks so tiny next to my b8. Still love the b5 in its current form as a tip. Feels so raw driving it compared to a newer technology b8.
    form follows function
    Nogaro/Nogaro '01 S4 Avant 6MT
    '00 1.8t Avant | '93 RS2'd S4 | '99.5 1.8t | '01 1.8t | '95.5 S6 Avant

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by coolgraymemo View Post
    Ahahahahaha preach memo

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Maintaining a 12 year old Audi is about as expensive as Charlie Sheen's coke habbit.
    | Dynamat | JVC Headunit + 4" F +Jl 6" R + 10" Sub | ECS Snub | EFK | Oil Pressure Gauge | Beltline Wrap |

AZ Member #

Lol, Nogaro....
    I didn't want to comment on that...glad you did! Lol it seemed a tad racist
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgraymemo View Post
    Ahahahahaha preach memo

Haha, you guys are hilarious.

Picked up the door handles and they're minty. I like them.

Maybe I'll put them in tomorrow when the front end gets torn apart

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

Whats going on with the front end? Handles look mint indeed! Love these clean up threads <3

AZ Member #

Whats going on with the front end? Handles look mint indeed! Love these clean up threads <3

I have to do the alternator...again lol. Same problem as the last one: Voltage regulator died

The guy I picked the door handles up from also had the 3 passenger doors all in mint condition, no lower trim but no rust

Wants $160 for all four doors. Drivers door is unusable as it was a reclaimed police auction vehicle and they cut the locks out of it. I think $120 for the 3 would be a better deal.

He may also buy my BBK, so that's a plus

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

Update:

Started to tear apart the doors to get at the handles. Door card came off no problem. **some of these photos are poor, noticed afterwards**

I was able to un-clip the white piece and move it aside to remove the door handles and the mounting bracket behind it. After some struggling, I decided it would be best to cut the mounting brackets for disassembly as the new(er) handles came with brackets.

The trouble with mounting the new ones was there was very little space to mount the new handles. They don't just "pop in" like you'd think. Below is the exterior handle mounted without the bracket. Very little space to maneuver around

This lip on the door doesn't allow the two little nubs on the bank of the handle to seat properly into the bracket. When the handle and bracket are out of the car though, they are much easier to put together.

So I ended up pulling the frame to give me more access to the area. I rested it on a milk crate then put a rag on the other door to protect it from scratches

Makeshift paint protection

With all of that out of the way, I was finally able to finesse the conjunction of the two parts. Looking more professional now

In total, this one door took 3 hrs to complete. I'd never done it before, and I tried many different things before deciding to take the door frame off. The hardest part by far would be mating the handle to the mounting bracket.

I started on the rear passenger door next but got halfway done when we decided to close up shop. Needless to say, I had the panel dismantled and frame off in 5 mins haha. Hopefully the handle is easier to put on the rear door than the front.

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

Established Member Two Rings a4 tuning's Avatar
    AZ Member #

nice now you have it , that damn canadian rust