Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Picked up my 2007 A8 today

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I picked up a beautiful A8. Drove it back the 60 miles from purchase and the ride was like heaven. Beautiful car. My daily is modifed MKV GTI with about 340+whp ... and all the suspension and brake mods... what a contrast.

Veteran Member Four Rings ebi718's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A8 L
    Items for Sale

Congrats...enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
    '10 A6 3.0T Quattro Avant Prestige Phantom Black Pearl Effect (Link)
    '09 A8L Phantom Black Pearle (Link)
    '13 A7 Quattro 3.0T Phantom Black - SOLD
    '07 A6 3.2 Quattro Avant S Line - SOLD

Veteran Member Four Rings B7Joe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW F30; BMW E46 xi Touring
    Items for Sale

Beast. Awesome!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Few more pics and I can't believe the massager...

Veteran Member Four Rings Pothole's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice find!

How is that B&O sound system?
    Please Drive Right

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The B&O system is silky, clear (when fully adjusted) and has a nice sense of stage with a proper recording. I was just listening to some Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic Live and it was like being at the concert. However like all good sound systems they really make things like FM and Sirius sound like what they are, a lesser signal. Put in a properly recorded session on CD or iPod and it is brings out the best in those recordings.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

One more pic of the engine bay.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

In my enthusiam for the car I did overlook the fact that the car is in need of a set of front brakes, still ok. 550 for OEM rotors and pads and I will put them on myself. Parts should be here Thursday so I will put the on next Saturday.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

where did you get your brakes?

front brakes rotors
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D3_A8-...raking/Rotors/

brake pads
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D3_A8-.../Braking/Pads/

I ran these brakes on my V10 touareg. They were fantastic. I ran blank rotors not the drilled and slotted BS. I towed my track car all over the place and they did well. I will tell you that 140mph to 0 stops do get hairy though. Ceramic pads were not designed to do that on a 5500lb V10 tank!

http://www.brakeoverstock.com/produc...8/8790#content

I can't remember what pads I ran on my W12 but I do know that I got the front rotors for $36 each from rock auto for 385mm rotors on some wholesale clearance deal. OEM pads have great bite but dust heavily. I would definitely give up some braking power and go with a ceramic pad with those chrome wheels you have. They look great!

The audio in my W12 ruined me. I was so excited to get XM and the audio quality is trash on it so I quickly canceled it. I was really bummed about it because I was looking forward to listening to EDM for once on the radio. CD's sound fantastic on it though and the FM radio was pretty decent. I really enjoyed the Boes, but I have never had the pleasure of listening to B&O.
    1995 camaro with taurus SHO engine
    1999 taurus SHO
    2000 s4 tip, unitronic stage 2, srm intercooler, 034 3.5" exhaust, 034 tip downpipes, 034 bi pipes.
    2001 audi a8 gutted because race car
    2005 audi a8 w12 black on black because 8 cylinders is not enough
    2009 chevy express 2500 duramax built 4L85E trans and tuned for around 400hp

Authorized unitronic dealer, I cannot respond to pm's on audizine so if you have questions email me at somedude_001@yhoo.com

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by somedude View Post
    where did you get your brakes?

front brakes rotors
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D3_A8-...raking/Rotors/

brake pads
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D3_A8-.../Braking/Pads/

I ran these brakes on my V10 touareg. They were fantastic. I ran blank rotors not the drilled and slotted BS. I towed my track car all over the place and they did well. I will tell you that 140mph to 0 stops do get hairy though. Ceramic pads were not designed to do that on a 5500lb V10 tank!

http://www.brakeoverstock.com/produc...8/8790#content

I can't remember what pads I ran on my W12 but I do know that I got the front rotors for $36 each from rock auto for 385mm rotors on some wholesale clearance deal. OEM pads have great bite but dust heavily. I would definitely give up some braking power and go with a ceramic pad with those chrome wheels you have. They look great!

The audio in my W12 ruined me. I was so excited to get XM and the audio quality is trash on it so I quickly canceled it. I was really bummed about it because I was looking forward to listening to EDM for once on the radio. CD's sound fantastic on it though and the FM radio was pretty decent. I really enjoyed the Boes, but I have never had the pleasure of listening to B&O.

I ordered OEM rotors and pads from ECS. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them for my GTI. Parts should be here Wed or Thu. They are easy to install. Just decided to go OEM.

On my GTI which I track (336whp) I have upgraded the calipers to Golf R calipers and I run Endless MXRS pads up front and Hawk HPS pads in rear. Stock rotors are 312/286, my upgraded set is 345/310. Hard braking from 140 is easily modulated and the combo works well for me.

140 in a Touareg, thats crazy. I had a V-6 model and I can remember the thing was so heavy that my jack had a hard time holding it. They do come with some massive brakes though.

B&O is nice. FM and Sirius are great for background music but not for listening. CD or wired iPod are the only sound sources that will show off the systems, and only if you have a copy of a well recorded session. I am going to cut some CD's today to check it out. (Muddy Waters - Folk Singer, Roseanne Cash - 10 song demo, Kronos Quartet - Parts of Africa)

Thanks for the info the A8 is all new to me and what a car. I have had other Audi/VW cars, most recently the Touareg, A6 2.7T, and the 2008 GTI.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GIACuser View Post
    I ordered OEM rotors and pads from ECS. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them for my GTI. Parts should be here Wed or Thu. They are easy to install. Just decided to go OEM.

On my GTI which I track (336whp) I have upgraded the calipers to Golf R calipers and I run Endless MXRS pads up front and Hawk HPS pads in rear. Stock rotors are 312/286, my upgraded set is 345/310. Hard braking from 140 is easily modulated and the combo works well for me.

140 in a Touareg, thats crazy. I had a V-6 model and I can remember the thing was so heavy that my jack had a hard time holding it. They do come with some massive brakes though.

B&O is nice. FM and Sirius are great for background music but not for listening. CD or wired iPod are the only sound sources that will show off the systems, and only if you have a copy of a well recorded session. I am going to cut some CD's today to check it out. (Muddy Waters - Folk Singer, Roseanne Cash - 10 song demo, Kronos Quartet - Parts of Africa)

Thanks for the info the A8 is all new to me and what a car. I have had other Audi/VW cars, most recently the Touareg, A6 2.7T, and the 2008 GTI.
    The V10 TDI 140 comes around pretty quick, and the V10 also got larger barkes than the standard version. the low dust ceramics are just the wrong compound for high speed stuff. OEM's had much more braking power but dusted like crazy which is why I went to ceramics. They worked well towing as long as I drove responsibly which I always do when I have a load. My touareg puts my chevy express diesel van to shame in every category when towing. At any rate all of the A8's have pretty good brakes which are matched well to the different power levels but if you want more slap a set of w12 rotors and calipers on and blow your mind, but be prepared to loose ride quality. at 47lbs each they are obnoxiously heavy and ride quality will suffer.

If you see this section project ron burgundy is my track A8. These cars handle great at the limit. I road coursed my W12 as well but holly god is the nose heavy with the 12 cylinder. monster power for sweet drifts though

You will love the A8. I know I do.
    1995 camaro with taurus SHO engine
    1999 taurus SHO
    2000 s4 tip, unitronic stage 2, srm intercooler, 034 3.5" exhaust, 034 tip downpipes, 034 bi pipes.
    2001 audi a8 gutted because race car
    2005 audi a8 w12 black on black because 8 cylinders is not enough
    2009 chevy express 2500 duramax built 4L85E trans and tuned for around 400hp

Authorized unitronic dealer, I cannot respond to pm's on audizine so if you have questions email me at somedude_001@yhoo.com

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Lincoln Mark 7

It would be awesome if it had a white on black interior. It is a fantastic car! I own one myself.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Update after 2 years and 4 months of ownership. I purchased the car for 21,000 and it had about 64,000 miles on it. Today 1/13/2018, it has a little over 92,000.

I love driving this car. Even at 10 years of age it is smooth and quiet and compares favorably with new versions. I have test driven a few other A8s, 2 A8L and a W12.

Repairs
    The car had a premium warranty until 75,000 miles and of course nothing failed. After that time, I have had the following issues.

Both fuel pumps, total cost under 600, just ordered from Hitachi direct.
    Passenger side Front air shock 2000 for an OEM replacement. Did not want aftermarket rebuild.
    Passenger side axle 700 for OEM.
    Had trouble with the headlights, dealer fixed 800
    Replaced coolant reservoir 134
    Rotors and Pads 800

While the car has not been trouble free, it has however been a joy to drive and own. Between initial cost and repairs it has been quite affordable. I probably will get rid of it soon and get a newer A8 but this one has been and continues to be so nice to drive. Love that B&O stereo when you play a well recorded disc.

For those of you battling weather where you live I apologize for the photo, though this one was not taken today, it could have been, it is 80 degrees and sunny today.