Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Veteran Member Four Rings Believer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by BumblebVR6 View Post
    Great thread Ryan! Lot of good real time experiences/issues to consider when starting a project. Where did you find the APR manifold? Going from K03 to GT28RS eliminator soon w/ Motoza tuning. I've always had good experiences w/ Eagle rods in the past (Honda/Mitsu days). Thinking that is a good start and then maybe a set of JE or Wisco pistons (original 81mm bore). Not sure about compression though, could stay original 9.25:1 or go to 8.5:1? I think I'll keep the stock crank (I have a B6/AMB). Not "planning" on pushing the car past 350-400 later down the line. Take care.
    Thanks I appreciate the kind words.

I found the 28rs and manifold together in the classifieds recently as part of a b6 apr 3+ kit.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Not much in the way of updates.

Recently installed my 42 Draft Designs catch can, fixed a leaky n75 line to the wastegate actuator which was causing all sorts of drivability problems and boost overshoot. I also switched back to the AEM filter to take advantage of the built in velocity stack. The APR setup was just a big filter over top of the inlet to the MAF with no smooth entry.

Just ordered the spacers I'll need to run my summer setup.

In about 2 weeks I will be pulling the motor for a rering on cylinder 2 and to replace all valve stem seals as I'm getting oil leaking down after the car sits a while from being driven hot.

AZ Member #

What do you guys think of the way this oil drain is angled?

I'm concerned that with my known elevated blowby from a poorly sealed cylinder 2 thus contributing to elevated crankcase pressures, coupled with the way this drain is angled, I may be pushing oil through the intake seal on the the turbo.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Any updates? What'd you end up doing with the oil drain line?

Are you using the APR oil feed line? I found there is no restriction on that fitting (on my B6's APR Stage 3+ kit), which supposedly is bad for a BB turbo like the GT2860RS. So I've bought an ATP -4an 0.035" restrictor fitting for the oil feed to be used whenever the turbo is used next.
    BTW I'm considering dropping the APR kit stuff into my B5 now that my B6 is mostly back to stock. Then maybe upgrade to GTX2860R Gen2 since it uses the GT2860RS turbine housing.

Did you run your APR kit on your FT tune as-is before getting any revisions?
    Last edited by MetalMan; 08-11-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    2001.5 A4 1.8TQM: F21, Motoza E85/750cc/3" MAF/3bar MAP, 3" HFC, custom 2.5" exhaust, TR18T FMIC, DW200 pump, I.E. con rods, Eibach coilovers, 034 RSB, A8/TT front & S4 rear brakes, SS brake lines, JHM SS/linkage, B7 RS4 clutch, 4:1 center diff, 034 street mounts, E-fan, Apikol diff mount, Stern diff bushings, Nexus 7 HU, custom sound system, bixenon, sport cloths

2001.5 S4 Avant: JHM shifter, 3" exhaust, Stage 1, receiving lots of love ($$$)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan View Post
    Any updates? What'd you end up doing with the oil drain line?

Are you using the APR oil feed line? I found there is no restriction on that fitting (on my B6's APR Stage 3+ kit), which supposedly is bad for a BB turbo like the GT2860RS. So I've bought an ATP -4an 0.035" restrictor fitting for the oil feed to be used whenever the turbo is used next.
    BTW I'm considering dropping the APR kit stuff into my B5 now that my B6 is mostly back to stock. Then maybe upgrade to GTX2860R Gen2 since it uses the GT2860RS turbine housing.

Did you run your APR kit on your FT tune as-is before getting any revisions?
    Hey Travis, good to hear from you. Just seeing this now!

So I did end up rebuilding the oil drain with new fittings and hose. This positively impacted my oil consumption very noticeably. I'm pretty sure oil was getting pushed through the compressor seal; there was so much oil coming out of the turbo outlet that it completely saturated the silicone coupling and would actually drip from the silicone. Since the drain change that behavior is absent.

My turbo does have a restrictor in place, just a brass piece and unsure of the size of it.

I did not run on the FT Tune - I worked with Dave prior to installing the hardware and got a base file for the 2860RS then did a bunch of revisions. We've pretty much maxed the turbo out for my comfort level and I have just been driving and enjoying the car.

I picked up a full AWM motor with 125k on it a little while back that is currently just sitting in my garage. This will be the base for a stroker build in the future and the head from that motor will be getting dropped in to my current setup soon. I'm fairly certain the valve seals are toast on my current head, which has been rebuilt once already and decked an unknown amount so i'm looking to move on with the lower mile head.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    So I did end up rebuilding the oil drain with new fittings and hose. This positively impacted my oil consumption very noticeably. I'm pretty sure oil was getting pushed through the compressor seal; there was so much oil coming out of the turbo outlet that it completely saturated the silicone coupling and would actually drip from the silicone. Since the drain change that behavior is absent.
    That's awesome to hear. Next time your car is up could you snap a quick pic of how your new oil drain looks near the pan?
    My B6 had a lot of oil built up in the intercooler crossover pipe (it used that for the dual-SMIC setup), maybe its problem also was the oil drain.
    Pretty sure the APR oil drain line itself was leaking near the pan too...

My turbo does have a restrictor in place, just a brass piece and unsure of the size of it.
    My APR line uses a brass fitting at the turbo, but it's just an adapter for the oil feed line. It lacks any restriction; I understand this is bad for a BB turbo.

I did not run on the FT Tune - I worked with Dave prior to installing the hardware and got a base file for the 2860RS then did a bunch of revisions. We've pretty much maxed the turbo out for my comfort level and I have just been driving and enjoying the car.
    Very cool. Usual $100 hardware upgrade fee or something more?
    How are you liking the GT2860RS compared to F21?

I picked up a full AWM motor with 125k on it a little while back that is currently just sitting in my garage. This will be the base for a stroker build in the future and the head from that motor will be getting dropped in to my current setup soon. I'm fairly certain the valve seals are toast on my current head, which has been rebuilt once already and decked an unknown amount so i'm looking to move on with the lower mile head.
    I'm scared to ask how big of a turbo you're thinking after going stroker!

On my 1.8T's head, one of the valve seals was completely detached from the valve guide... I'd call that a major failure. Replaced them all, of course.
    2001.5 A4 1.8TQM: F21, Motoza E85/750cc/3" MAF/3bar MAP, 3" HFC, custom 2.5" exhaust, TR18T FMIC, DW200 pump, I.E. con rods, Eibach coilovers, 034 RSB, A8/TT front & S4 rear brakes, SS brake lines, JHM SS/linkage, B7 RS4 clutch, 4:1 center diff, 034 street mounts, E-fan, Apikol diff mount, Stern diff bushings, Nexus 7 HU, custom sound system, bixenon, sport cloths

AZ Member #

That's awesome to hear. Next time your car is up could you snap a quick pic of how your new oil drain looks near the pan?
    My B6 had a lot of oil built up in the intercooler crossover pipe (it used that for the dual-SMIC setup), maybe its problem also was the oil drain.
    Pretty sure the APR oil drain line itself was leaking near the pan too...

My APR line uses a brass fitting at the turbo, but it's just an adapter for the oil feed line. It lacks any restriction; I understand this is bad for a BB turbo.

Very cool. Usual $100 hardware upgrade fee or something more?
    How are you liking the GT2860RS compared to F21?

I'm scared to ask how big of a turbo you're thinking after going stroker!

On my 1.8T's head, one of the valve seals was completely detached from the valve guide... I'd call that a major failure. Replaced them all, of course.
    Youve got me wanting to verify that I do in fact have a restrictor. I recall looking in to it and the hole appeared small. I should check this.

Yepp just did the $100 upgrade. Fairly smooth overall.

I honestly love the turbo. Once I learned the power band and what rpm was just too low, I think its a great turbo and it pulls like a train where the FT was running out of breath.

I'm not really sure what I will run. Probably an EFR due to the great power, spool and IWG. But who knows this is a few years out easily. I'm only going to bore to 82.5mm so for the snobs it wont be a true 2L.

Yea I'm very curious to see whats going on inside that head once I get it off. I've noticed that when the VVT solenoid switches to engaged, there is this very loud racket that can be heard. Happens every time.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Youve got me wanting to verify that I do in fact have a restrictor. I recall looking in to it and the hole appeared small. I should check this.
    My restrictor's 0.035" hole is quite small:
    http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...de=ATP-OIL-021

Yepp just did the $100 upgrade. Fairly smooth overall.
    Glad to hear that. I'm guessing Dave is faster with revisions now that they have the 30-day tuning window. Was that an issue for you at all?

I honestly love the turbo. Once I learned the power band and what rpm was just too low, I think its a great turbo and it pulls like a train where the FT was running out of breath.
    Very cool! My F21 on E85 was definitely faster than the GT2860RS in my B6 on 91 octane... but the APR HFC was cracked all the way around one of the flanges which definitely would have made AFR skewed:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-broke-at-weld

I'm not really sure what I will run. Probably an EFR due to the great power, spool and IWG. But who knows this is a few years out easily. I'm only going to bore to 82.5mm so for the snobs it wont be a true 2L.

Yea I'm very curious to see whats going on inside that head once I get it off. I've noticed that when the VVT solenoid switches to engaged, there is this very loud racket that can be heard. Happens every time.
    That's weird on the VVT. How old are the tensioner pads? I replaced just the pads on mine 4 years ago and it's been fine since then.
    Don't forget to take pics and keep us updated

AZ Member #

My restrictor's 0.035" hole is quite small:
    http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...de=ATP-OIL-021

Glad to hear that. I'm guessing Dave is faster with revisions now that they have the 30-day tuning window. Was that an issue for you at all?

Very cool! My F21 on E85 was definitely faster than the GT2860RS in my B6 on 91 octane... but the APR HFC was cracked all the way around one of the flanges which definitely would have made AFR skewed:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-broke-at-weld

That's weird on the VVT. How old are the tensioner pads? I replaced just the pads on mine 4 years ago and it's been fine since then.
    Don't forget to take pics and keep us updated
    Thanks for the link! Will have to check it out.

Is that just soapy water you're using to find the leak? Bummer about the crack. Mines the APR test pipe version

The VVT is a replacement from FCP Euro. I purchased the ~$300 version iirc. Sadly it seems its not right so I will take the pads from it (if they're good) and move them to the tensioner unit in the other AWM motor I picked up.

I still ended up following up quite a bit but in the end I would say I'm mostly satisfied. Little peeved that my multiple requests to try a bit more timing were ignored by him.

I suppose I have an update of another kind which has taken the majority of my time!

Meet my son Emerson - he is nearly 3 mo now. He is life changing in the best ways but also time consuming haha.

I'll be sure to post my head replacement up when that happens and any future changes!

AZ Member #

Thanks for the link! Will have to check it out.

Is that just soapy water you're using to find the leak? Bummer about the crack. Mines the APR test pipe version
    Yeah soapy water to help locate leaks. At least the crack repair with welding was free...

The VVT is a replacement from FCP Euro. I purchased the ~$300 version iirc. Sadly it seems its not right so I will take the pads from it (if they're good) and move them to the tensioner unit in the other AWM motor I picked up.
    Yikes @ $300 that's a bummer. Fingers crossed the other tensioner is good.

I still ended up following up quite a bit but in the end I would say I'm mostly satisfied. Little peeved that my multiple requests to try a bit more timing were ignored by him.
    That sort of thing is quite familiar. Glad it mostly worked out.

I suppose I have an update of another kind which has taken the majority of my time!

Meet my son Emerson - he is nearly 3 mo now. He is life changing in the best ways but also time consuming haha.

I'll be sure to post my head replacement up when that happens and any future changes!

You need a new build thread for that one
    Haha congratulations! That explains you're absence. He looks very healthy.
    It's baby season these days for a number of my friends too. One day my wife and I will hop on that bandwagon

AZ Member #

He was part of the 5 year plan haha.

Bit of a bummer about the tensioner agreed. This is the 2nd one, the 1st was sent back after oil started leaking from the end of the solenoid on the outside.

Yepp - it's that season of life for many we know too. Hope nothing but the best for you guys when the time comes.

AZ Member #

He was part of the 5 year plan haha.

Yepp - it's that season of life for many we know too. Hope nothing but the best for you guys when the time comes.
    Thanks.
    5-year plan sounds like a good life goal haha. Probably should get on that... Do you have another kid as part of your [current] 5-year plan or gonna see how this one turns out?

Couple questions on your build:
    • stock throttle body, right? I'm curious if you would see performance increase with a larger TB.
    • what kind of MAF values are you seeing? Kinda worried the 3" MAF housing might be insufficient, especially on E85. My F21 setup pushes 245g/s. And I think the AWM limitation with 3" housing is ~258g/s but could be wrong.

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Slow day at work today, just read through the whole thread. Quite the journey.

I have some family down in the South Jersey area as well, Bridgeton. There are definitely some rural roads there to stretch the car's legs on!

I think I'd have a build similar to yours, but I'm debating between building the 1.8T or swapping in a 2.7T.

Oh, and congrats on the baby!
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

AZ Member #

Thanks.
    5-year plan sounds like a good life goal haha. Probably should get on that... Do you have another kid as part of your [current] 5-year plan or gonna see how this one turns out?

Couple questions on your build:
    • stock throttle body, right? I'm curious if you would see performance increase with a larger TB.
    • what kind of MAF values are you seeing? Kinda worried the 3" MAF housing might be insufficient, especially on E85. My F21 setup pushes 245g/s. And I think the AWM limitation with 3" housing is ~258g/s but could be wrong.
    Another is in the plans. Not for a few years though.

Using stock throttle body and 3" MAF and a large port head at the moment. Highest MAF values I've seen are 27X. I will do a fresh log tomorrow because now I'm curious.

Here's a shot of the new oil drain

I also found a pic of my supposed oil restrictor, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by fR3ZNO View Post
    Slow day at work today, just read through the whole thread. Quite the journey.

I have some family down in the South Jersey area as well, Bridgeton. There are definitely some rural roads there to stretch the car's legs on!

I think I'd have a build similar to yours, but I'm debating between building the 1.8T or swapping in a 2.7T.

Oh, and congrats on the baby!
    Definitely been a journey. Lots of learning the hard way of do it right or do it twice. All good though and fairly happy with where the car is now. Thank you for the well wishes!

My commute is through fairly rural Gloucester County, I definitely get to stretch her lol

If I owned a lift and were to do it all over, that 2.7t would be mighty tempting sans the maintenance and economy.

AZ Member #

Using stock throttle body and 3" MAF and a large port head at the moment. Highest MAF values I've seen are 27X. I will do a fresh log tomorrow because now I'm curious.

Here's a shot of the new oil drain

I also found a pic of my supposed oil restrictor, thoughts?

Thanks for the pic of your oil drain. That looks much better than the APR one.

Here's a pic of a 0.035" restrictor vs the APR "restrictor", which I think is mostly just a flared adapter fitting for the oil feed line to the turbo:

My guess is the APR fitting's I.D. is somewhere around 0.10". Not much restriction there, but a bit better than say an unrestricted -4AN oil line.

AZ Member #

Wow. Ok I think I should pick that up...

AZ Member #

Wow. Ok I think I should pick that up...
    I'm a bit torn on the topic, because APR obviously included a specific oil line & fitting.
    Also if you go with the fitting I bought and gave a link to several posts up, it requires a -4AN connection at that fitting.

AZ Member #

I'm a bit torn on the topic, because APR obviously included a specific oil line & fitting.
    Also if you go with the fitting I bought and gave a link to several posts up, it requires a -4AN connection at that fitting.
    Blast so it won't just work with the APR line then..

AZ Member #

Blast so it won't just work with the APR line then..
    Of course not lol. There might be an adapter fitting to fit the APR to -4AN but I have no idea what style fitting the APR line uses.

Another possibility (if you're concerned about it, of course) would be to pres a solid round metal bar into the APR fitting, and drill a small hole into that.

AZ Member #

Of course not lol. There might be an adapter fitting to fit the APR to -4AN but I have no idea what style fitting the APR line uses.

Another possibility (if you're concerned about it, of course) would be to pres a solid round metal bar into the APR fitting, and drill a small hole into that.
    Yea thats part of the problem is im not sure what type of fitting they are using on there. I guess I'll have to see once I have the fitting on hand. I do also agree with you that its unlikely thr fitting provided from APR wasn't intentionally chosen.

If I had easy access to a press that may be viable for sure.

AZ Member #

Well I've seen conflicting info on this whole oil feed inlet restrictor idea... many many places say to use one, but then I come across info like this:
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f169...ml#post7670632
    Which in that case makes sense why APR doesn't use a separate restrictor. Oy.

AZ Member #

Well I've seen conflicting info on this whole oil feed inlet restrictor idea... many many places say to use one, but then I come across info like this:
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f169...ml#post7670632
    Which in that case makes sense why APR doesn't use a separate restrictor. Oy.
    Very interesting. Might just return the one I have on order from ATP then - the bit on the cage overheating and failing i'm not too fond of... Does smoke accompany too high of oil pressure at the turbine?

AZ Member #

Very interesting. Might just return the one I have on order from ATP then - the bit on the cage overheating and failing i'm not too fond of... Does smoke accompany too high of oil pressure at the turbine?
    I think oil smoke out of the exhaust could be leakage through the seals caused by too high oil pressure/flow at the feed port. Was there any change in smoke with your improved oil drain line?

BTW here's a thread regarding oil restrictor that is specific to the GT2860RS + 1.8T:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post16674861
    Says to not use a restrictor.

Some more reading suggests that improper clocking of the CHRA can also cause oil to leak through the turbo seals... the CHRA should be clocked such that the oil feed & drain are as close to vertical as possible. One thread on the topic:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...62570#15862570
    Last edited by MetalMan; 08-22-2017 at 04:57 PM.

AZ Member #

Thanks for digging up that info Travis. I feel pretty comfortable running no restrictor.

I actually do not have a smoking issue. I smoke a very slight bit on take off after decel which I believe to be valve seals. There was a change in how much oil was passing into my intake tract though

AZ Member #

The time has come for me to move on. Nothing necessarily wrong with the car aside from maintenance things and it being 16 years old.

I wanted something new, fun, affordable and economical. I pulled the trigger on a 17' Fiesta ST this week. I'll be doing a few maintenance things on the B5 then putting it and some other extras up for sale. Probably after the new year.

AZ Member #

Oh man. How's the Fiesta ST? Will be a bit sad to see you'll no longer update this thread

AZ Member #

Oh man. How's the Fiesta ST? Will be a bit sad to see you'll no longer update this thread
    The Fiesta ST is a blast. The handling is insane, the power is plenty for my daily needs (for now) and the Recaros are damn comfortable. I will still be lurking around for sure, i'm just losing the passion for the B5 that I once had as my time to tinker with it is much less and truly was just ready for something new. This is actually the first new car i've ever purchased which is pretty exciting for me.

Senior Member Three Rings Pringle420's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '94 Cummins Ram, 2007 City Jetta

Congrats on the new car and new family member. I will miss the updates to this thread as well, I've been following since the beginning.

I completely understand losing the passion. As our daughter gets older, I find less and less time to wrench. So when I do get time to do it, it's usually very rushed to fix a problem. Not the most enjoyable. As much as I enjoy my 20 year old B5, it would be really nice to have a daily that doesn't require any attention.

Good luck in all your future endeavours.
    '98.5 A4 1.8TQM - Aluminum Silver Metalic

REVO Stage 1 Tune - CTS Test Pipe - Milltek Resonated Exhaust - ST Coilovers - Hyperboost DV - eBay SS (Facelift Upgrade)
    OEM VW 18" Bristol Wheels (12/24mm Spacers F/R) - PODI Mech. Boost Gauge + POD - K&N Cone Filter

Build Thread HERE

Senior Member Three Rings B5nDisciple's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Honda Odyssey--GT Zaskar Elite 29er MTB

Nice pickup and good choice!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    2001 A4 1.8TQM / F21 Mixed Flow Kit / 750cc Motoza E85/91 Tune / DW200 Fuel Pump / 3" MAF Housing / Mad Max DV / CTS FMIC Kit / 034 HFC->Custom 2.5" / FSI Coils / CM FX100 240mm/20lb FW / 034 Street Motor/Trans Mounts, 034 Snub/Cage, Apikol Street Rear Diff Mount / 034 RSB & Brackets / OZ Superleggera 17x7 / Vogtland GT3's / Podi Stepper / Ebay SS w/derlin bushings "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

Veteran Member Four Rings GOODBYNAAIR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 1.8T black, 1973 MG midget 2008 GSX650F, 2016 Jeep GC

Sad to see you go. I feel you, as I had a baby in September and I am now fighting with selling the B5. Nice pick up in the ST I hear good things about them. Enjoy the new life and the little moments.
    My A4 ---> GT2860 Project
    Tuning from Motoza
    B5 stuff FS

Veteran Member Four Rings jaychen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The Fiesta ST is a blast. The handling is insane, the power is plenty for my daily needs (for now) and the Recaros are damn comfortable. I will still be lurking around for sure, i'm just losing the passion for the B5 that I once had as my time to tinker with it is much less and truly was just ready for something new. This is actually the first new car i've ever purchased which is pretty exciting for me.
    I agree with you on wanting something new and nice (and less worrisome) but those fiesta st's are so, so god damn slow.

Just leave it alone and enjoy the pleasures of a car being used exactly the way it was designed without the headaches of shit going wrong constantly once you start to 'finger' a car.
    2000 Achat S4

AZ Member #

I really disagree with the notion that it's slow for what it is. It's a 2700 lb car turning over 200 lb/ft of torque and nearly 200 hp from a 1.6 liter engine. It feels quick as shit in the low end and really has never left me wanting more power during my daily commute, meaning I've never once needed to pass 1 or multiple cars and needed more. Perhaps you're confusing it with the standard 1 liter Fiesta? And of course when you look at it in the shadow of a big turbo Audi it will read as slow.

Veteran Member Four Rings jaychen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I really disagree with the notion that it's slow for what it is. It's a 2700 lb car turning over 200 lb/ft of torque and nearly 200 hp from a 1.6 liter engine. It feels quick as shit in the low end and really has never left me wanting more power during my daily commute, meaning I've never once needed to pass 1 or multiple cars and needed more. Perhaps you're confusing it with the standard 1 liter Fiesta? And of course when you look at it in the shadow of a big turbo Audi it will read as slow.

i installed an intake for a friend on his fiesta st and took it for a good thrash after.. we clearly have differing opinions on what is considered zippy/fast, small displacement engined car.

to each their own though
    2000 Achat S4

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jaychen View Post
    i installed an intake for a friend on his fiesta st and took it for a good thrash after.. we clearly have differing opinions on what is considered zippy/fast, small displacement engined car.

to each their own though
    Just curious, which small displacement motor/vehicle combo might you consider zippy or fast?