Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran Member Three Rings kelseysautobody's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    How many groups are you logging?
    2013 S4 S-tronic - APR intake // KI 200mm crank pulley // EPL Stg II DP 93 + TCU tune // PLM hx // Jokerz Blower // Headers
    11.425 @ 118.16
    For sale: 2007 S4 6MT Past: ~ 03 A4 3.0 6MT ~ 99 A4 1.8T

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It happens with 10 groups and with 9 groups. I'll try the comm settings mentioned on the first page.
    I don't think this is an issue with number of parameters selected. It may be a hardware issue on my end (laptop).

With 10 groups I get ~10 samples/sec
    With 9 groups I get ~13 samples/sec
    Last edited by Johnson; 04-10-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Senior Member Two Rings omegis83's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How To: VCDS Performance Logging

Quote Originally Posted by jran76 View Post
    If there is a 2013+ in the DFW area that wants to do some logging, I'll update the B8.5 fields too. This thread is definitely due for some updates.
    As much as I'd like to drive 2.5 hours east to DFW, this will have to do

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    It happens with 10 groups and with 9 groups. I'll try the comm settings mentioned on the first page.
    I don't think this is an issue with number of parameters selected. It may be a hardware issue on my end (laptop).

With 10 groups I get ~10 samples/sec
    With 9 groups I get ~13 samples/sec
    I had this issue, along with lock ups, attempting to use an older Asus netbook to log. Decided to upgrade to a newer laptop and the logging problems are fixed.
    2013 Audi S4 Prestige
    EPL Stg 2 ECU/TCU, ECS KLT Intake, X-Pipe mod, AMS Boost Cooler
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Evo X turbo and more, S-Sport Mode (active)
    Tuned by English Racing

Active Member One Ring s4dynamode's Avatar
    AZ Member #

RFP_AV (%): This is the bypass valve opening percentage.
    *A stock car will see significant opening because the car will typically make more boost than requested at higher RPM’s, and the rest is bled off—this is why stock dynos die off after 5000 RPM.
    *A properly tuned car should see nothing here; 0%. Anything else means the car is not making max boost/power. There are some instances where a tuned car may bleed off boost. I’ve seen this happen on my 1-2 shift when I get wheel spin, and others have reported it when IAT’s get extremely high as a protection mechanism (Revo tunes seem to prefer this method as opposed to retarding timing).

? Does Traction Control try to impead WOT from a stop ?
    I’m new to Audi and mods. Flew out to Santa Ana in Feb to pick up a ’15 monsoon grey s4 w/sport diff.
    Had Tuning Gruppe do a GIAC stage II w/AWE pulley and DSG tune. I have great power all through the gears except WOT from a stop the first 1/3 of 1st gear seems like a lot of rev w/o a lot of go. Someone told me it might be starting to tire spin so traction control kicks in and limits it until car starts moving a bit. The last 2/3 of so of 1st gear and all the rest the car has great power. Oh not talking about launch control either just WOT from a stop in dynamic mode. Do you guys take traction control off to get a better start ?
    2015 S4 Monsoon Grey | Sport Diff | B&O | Blk Optic Pkg | Nappa | MMI
    GIAC Stage II & DSG tune | CTS Intake | AMS Alpha Cooler | EuroCode F/R Sway Bars, Endlinks,
    Alu Kreuz, Inserts | ECS 2pc D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff | Clovers with Michelin PSS
    Bilstein PSS10's | AWE Touring w/Res Downpipes & Black Diamond 90's

Established Member Three Rings evil35r's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Rogue

What cable do I need to buy to log? Can skmeo me post the link?
    S4 13 EPL cts pulley stage 2 Meth/93 file w/ DSG tune, ROC-EURO intake, custom downpipe back exhaust magnaflow res x-pipe, twin magnaflow resonators, magnaflow mufflers, ECS diff and tranny inserts, CR-15, VCDS mods, Snow Performance stage 2 meth kit, 034 rear sway.

Established Member Three Rings Jroyalty7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    EPL Stage II DP Tune | EPL 57.60mm SC Pulley | 183mm Fluidampr Crank Pulley | Jokerz Ported SC| Aquamist WMI 375cc Jet @ TB| AMS Alpha Heat Exchanger | Milltek Sport Non-Resonated CBE | ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Teknik Intake | Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | 034 Drive Train & Trans Inserts | Bilstein PSS10 | SPC Upper Control Arms | TSW Bathurst 20x10 | Pulley Ratio=3.177

Established Member Three Rings evil35r's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Rogue

Thanks! Just figuring if it's worth the $200 to log and get a updated tune from epl or just stick with the ots tunes.
    S4 13 EPL cts pulley stage 2 Meth/93 file w/ DSG tune, ROC-EURO intake, custom downpipe back exhaust magnaflow res x-pipe, twin magnaflow resonators, magnaflow mufflers, ECS diff and tranny inserts, CR-15, VCDS mods, Snow Performance stage 2 meth kit, 034 rear sway.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by evil35r View Post
    Thanks! Just figuring if it's worth the $200 to log and get a updated tune from epl or just stick with the ots tunes.
    Its worth it for that and to be able to diagnose fault codes clear codes, as well as the mods you can do with it. Sometimes you can catch one on the classifieds too. I have the last gen which had unlimited cars. These newer ones have a 10 car limit I think

EPL Stage II DP Tune | EPL 57.60mm SC Pulley | 183mm Fluidampr Crank Pulley | Jokerz Ported SC| Aquamist WMI 375cc Jet @ TB| AMS Alpha Heat Exchanger | Milltek Sport Non-Resonated CBE | ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Teknik Intake | Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | 034 Drive Train & Trans Inserts | Bilstein PSS10 | SPC Upper Control Arms | TSW Bathurst 20x10 | Pulley Ratio=3.177

Senior Member Four Rings 14S4GWM's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jroyalty7 View Post
    Its worth it for that and to be able to diagnose fault codes clear codes, as well as the mods you can do with it. Sometimes you can catch one on the classifieds too. I have the last gen which had unlimited cars. These newer ones have a 10 car limit I think

You can pay extra to have the new one unlimited, I believe it's 170 more
    2014 S4 P+ Glacier White DSG
    Black Optic/ B&O/ Sports Diff/ Carbon Atlas/ V1/ P3/ Carista/ ECS CF Intake/ ECS CF Diffuser/ Bilstein B8/ H&R OE Springs/ H&R 10-12mm Spacers
    C-Quartz/ Suntek PPF/ AWE Touring 102/ 034 X-Brace & Inserts/ Eurocode Sways/ Akebono Pads/ CR-15/ VLED VX3 LED Fogs

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 14S4GWM View Post
    You can pay extra to have the new one unlimited, I believe it's 170 more
    Nice figured they would have an option like that, that's worth it for the resale value alone

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Anyone have these instructions with the pics saved? photobucket is screwing us with this too

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    ML350
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Phoang1988 View Post
    Anyone have these instructions with the pics saved? photobucket is screwing us with this too
    I do. PM me your email and I can send them to you if you'd like.
    2011 A4 Stage 2+ APR : EUROCODE : CTS : 034 : PUREMS : ECS TUNING : USP MOTORSPORTS : BFI : SNOW PERFORMANCE

Established Member Four Rings JD S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

PMd
    '11 S4 - EPL Stage 2 & Cooling - 20" BBS LM - Bilstein B12 - APR RSC Exhaust - Lots of Toys

Veteran Member Four Rings jran76's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 and 2002 Audi S4
    Items for Sale

I'll try to host the pics somewhere else and do a thread update soon. Just super busy right now. And F$&K photobucket....
    2012 S4 : Ibis White : Black Nappa : S-tronic : Sports Diff : MMI Nav : B&O : APR Stage II+ : AWE Exhaust : Alpha Coolant System : ECS Intake : AP Racing RadiCal BBK : H&R OE Springs : Bilstein B8 Sport Shocks : Hotchkis Sway Bars : EuroCode Endlinks/AluKreuz : 034 Trans/Diff Mounts : CR-15 Strut Brace : BC Forged HB04 Wheels : Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires : EuroGear CF Diffuser : Osir CF Fog Light Grilles : RS5 Pedals : Black Optics Grille

Senior Member Three Rings maty360414's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Several people have asked about logging their vehicle, so I put together a “how to” on logging with the Ross-Tech VCDS software and cable (VAGCOM). Logging is critical to understanding how your car is performing, and even more so if you are tuned. There are several parameters that can be logged that will give a good indication as to how your car is running, and if there are any problems. This “how to” guide will cover how to perform basic performance logging, and also how to interpret some of the results (covered in the next post).

============
    First, a few things:
    *Every version of Ross-Tech software is slightly different. In terms of logging, the only real difference is the location number associated with each logging parameter. The name of the parameter will be similar from version to version, but the associated location number may be different. I am using version 12.12.1 in the screen captures below, but I have updated it with the parameters from version 15.7.1 (updated 10/8/2015). Regardless, your version may be slightly different. The software is updated often.
    *One of the key things people like to log is requested and actual boost. In recent versions of the Ross-Tech software boost is not displayed as an absolute value. Some conversion and calculation is required. This is covered in the next post.
    *While there are others ways to log a vehicle, this only covers using the full version of Ross-Tech software with their VCDS cable.
    *Logging must be done with Windows software. That can be XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8. Doesn’t really matter. An Apple/Mac that runs Windows will also work (Boot Camp, Parallels, etc.).

============
    Getting Started
    Step 1: Plug the Ross-Tech VCDS cable into the OBDII port under the dash on the driver’s side.

Step 2: With the car on, launch the VCDS software.
    *Note: The car can be in the ON position or running for steps 1-11.

Check for Fault Codes
    Step 3: Before you start logging, ensure there are no fault codes. Press the “Auto-Scan” button on the VCDS main menu.

Step 4: Once in the Auto-Scan section, press the “Start” button to scan for codes. The scan will take a few minutes as it scans all modules. If there are faults, I would recommend saving the scan results (copy/paste, save, print), and then clear the faults with the “Clear all DTC’s” button. Once this is done, “Close” the Auto-Scan section, and return to the main menu.

Logging Setup
    Step 5: Under “Select Control Module” press the “Select” button.

Step 6: Under the “Common” tab press the “01-Engine” module button.

Step 7: In the Engine Controller module, press the “Adv. Meas. Values” button to access the logging section.

Step 8: Select the “Ambient Air Pressure” value from the parameter list. Record the value displayed for future reference, and then uncheck the box. The ambient pressure value will be used later to calculate boost related values.

Step 9: Select the parameters you would like to log from the list.
    *Notes:
    -VCDS will let you select a maximum of 12 parameters, or 10 parameters if you use grouping (which is a must for good logs as we’ll cover below). So, concentrate on the parameters that are most important for this particular logging session. Fewer parameters logged will yield higher resolution logs.
    -For general performance logging, I recommend the following parameters, but you can pick the appropriate parameter for your needs from the list:

For B8:
    Group Number: Parameter Field (Units; details)

002: Accelerator position (in %)
    009: Charge air pressure specified value (in hPa; specified boost+ambient air pressure)
    018: Engine speed (in RPM)
    089: Air mass (in kg/h; intake)
    186: Ignition angle; actual (in degrees)
    188: Intake air temperature (in degrees C)
    190: Intake manifold pressure; absolute (in hPa; actual boost+ambient air pressure)
    418: IGA_AD_KNK[0] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 1- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    419: IGA_AD_KNK[1] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 2- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    420: IGA_AD_KNK[2] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 3- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    421: IGA_AD_KNK[3] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 4- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    422: IGA_AD_KNK[4] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 5- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    423: IGA_AD_KNK[5] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 6- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    540: RFP_AV (bypass valve %)

For B8.5:

Group 2: Accelerator position (%)
    Group 11: Charge air pressure specified value (hPa)
    Group 24: Engine speed (rpm)
    Group 134: Air mass (kg/h)
    Group 226: Ignition angle; actual (degrees)
    Group 228: Intake air temperature (in degrees C)
    Group 230: Intake manifold pressure; absolute (hPa)
    Group 480-485: IGA_AD_1_KNK_x (knock correction in degrees; x is cylinder number 0-5)
    Group 616: RFP_AV (bypass valve %)

Step 10: Save the parameter list so you can easily access it at a later time by clicking the "VCDS" icon in the top-left corner. Name the file “performance” or similar. If you have parameter files for other types of logging, name them appropriately.

Logging
    Step 11: This step is very important for capturing good logs. Press the “Turbo” button, and check the “Group UDS requests” box at the top of the screen. This will speed up the logging, and also group all 10 fields to the same timestamp. This is the only way to get useful logs (otherwise, each parameter will have a different timestamp).

Step 12: Press the “Log” button to initiate the logging session. This will not start the actual logging process
    *Note: Your car should be running if it is not already.

Step 13: When you are ready, press the “Start” button. This will start the actual logging process.
    *Notes:
    -Logging should be performed in a controlled area where you can safely reach 85-90 MPH. The drag strip or dyno are the best options, but in places like Texas there are some pretty safe places to do this on the road (I do it late at night in traffic free areas with 70+ MPH speed limits).
    -Logging runs should capture a full 3rd gear pull at a minimum. 4th is probably a little better, but that should only be done at the drag strip or on a dyno. A full pull is around 3000 RPM to 7000 RPM. This can be tricky on a DSG car because you need to avoid triggering the kickdown switch at lower RPM’s. Play around with what works best, but the sooner you can get to full acceleration the better.
    -When logging, the A/C and radio should be OFF, the windows UP, car IN dynamic mode if available, and traction/ASR OFF (hold traction button for at least 5 seconds to turn both off).
    -Logging should be done on a flat surface, and if done multiple times it should be done at the same location and in similar conditions if possible. This makes comparing data more accurate.

Step 14: Once you have captured the needed logs, press the “Stop” button to stop the logging process, and “Done, close” when finished. The logs will be saved to the Ross-Tech/VCDS/Logs folder as a .CSV file (typically on the C:/ or wherever the Ross-Tech software is installed). It can be opened with Excel or similar.

============
    That is it for capturing basic performance logs. The next post will cover some of the basics in regards to interpreting the logs.

============
    In addition to logging the basic performance parameters listed above, VCDS gives the option to log many many other things.
    *Some examples:
    -If you are experiencing timing being pulled due to engine knock detection, you may want to log knock on each individual cylinder instead of just the 2 covered above. In that case you would want to log something like: accelerator position, engine speed, ignition angle; actual, and IGA_AD_KNK[x] on all 6 cylinders. Those 9 parameters may point to an issue with a specific cylinder.
    -As you can see, accelerator position and engine speed are really needed every time so you have some reference point in the logs. Intake air temperature is also good to log as it will give a good idea on the conditions.
    -More fields and examples are below (updated below).
    ====================
    Update with additional fields:

Misfires:
    If you are experiencing misfires, you may want to log misfires on all 6 cylinders to see where the problem is coming from. In that case you would want to log accelerator position, engine speed, misfires all cylinders, misfires cylinder X on all 6 cylinders. These 9 parameters may point to an issue with a specific cylinder, or a more general problem.

Some (low number of) random misfires that DO NOT result in a fault code are fairly normal. I see it on most 3.0 TFSI engines stock or tuned. With that said, Audi has dumbed down the misfire reporting threshold, so it is possible misfires could be causing a performance issue, but also not trigger a CEL. I don't have an answer on what constitutes a real problem.... Maybe others can chime in. In the most basic sense, if you see a CEL due to misfires, there is definitely an issue. If you see a low number of misfires and no CEL, it may be normal. If you see a high number of constant misfires, but no CEL, blame Audi for dumbing down the threshold and try to figure out the problem.

251- Misfires all cylinders per 1000 rpm 0
    253- Misfires cylinder 1 per 1000 rpm 0
    255- Misfires cylinder 2 per 1000 rpm 0
    257- Misfires cylinder 3 per 1000 rpm 0
    259- Misfires cylinder 4 per 1000 rpm 0
    261- Misfires cylinder 5 per 1000 rpm 0
    263- Misfires cylinder 6 per 1000 rpm 0

Lambda/Air:Fuel/EGT:
    Lambda or Air:Fuel ratio is important to understand for a couple of reasons. The most basic is to ensure your engine tuning is optimal. This is obviously more important with aftermarket (non-OEM) tuning. If you want to see what "normal" is, log your car with the stock tune, and the specified values will give you a pretty good idea for different scenarios. Assuming fueling is sufficient, specific and actual should be fairly close. If the actual number is higher than the specified value, you will start running into issues (not good).

On that note, if you are running E85 or the fuel system near maximum capacity, it is a good way to determine if fueling needs are being met. Again, E85 or if you are mixing E85 with regular gas, could present an issue on the stock fuel system. E85 has (about 33%) less energy per part compared to regular high octane fuel, so it takes roughly 33% more of it to run your vehicle. This can tap out the stock fuel system pretty quickly if too much is used. To run strait E85, and upgraded HPFP would be required. The advantage of E85 is the higher relative octane (close to the equivalent of 105 octane).

020- Exhaust temperature 1 bank 1 460.0 ∞C
    021- Exhaust temperature 1 bank 2 459.5 ∞C
    238- Lambda probes actual; bank1 0.9971
    13- same?
    239- Lambda probes actual; bank2 1.0049
    14- same?
    244- Lambda probes specification; bank 1 0.9971
    245- Lambda probes specification; bank 2 0.9971
    246- Lambda probes specified; bank1 0.9971
    247- Lambda probes specified; bank2 0.9971
    (note that 244-247 seem to be the same thing, the specified Lambda value, so logging one is likely sufficient).

194-199: Knock sensor voltage

Table to convert Lambda to Air:Fuel ratios:

Fuel Pressures, Trims, and Injectors

87- Rail pressure actual
    170- Rail pressure specified
    22- Fuel pressure
    187- Fuel pump, actual fuel pressure

Fuel Trims/Adaptations (%)
    47- Long-term adaptation; bank 1
    48- Long-term adaptation; bank 2
    63- Short-term adaptation; bank 1
    64- Short-term adaptation; bank 2

Injector Pulse Width (IPW in ms):
    609- TI_1_HOM[0]
    610- TI_1_HOM[1]
    611- TI_1_HOM[2]
    612- TI_1_HOM[3]
    613- TI_1_HOM[4]
    614- TI_1_HOM[5]
    To calculate the injector duty cycle, it is something like: (RPM x IPW)/300=IDC

================

Just a quick update on the new version of VCDS (15.7.4). Several people have reported very low resolution when logging 10 parameters with Grouping/Turbo enabled. In my case, I was only getting a couple lines of data on an entire 1/4-mile pass.

Another member changed some settings as recommended by Ross-Tech, and it seemed to help. I've posted the changes he made below. If you are having issues with 15.7.4, you may want to try these changes.
    can you reupload the pictures please, thanks
    '13 S4 - Phantom Black | DSG | Silver Inlays | Alcantara | Sport Differential | Akebono Pads | ECS Transmission Mount | ECS F/R Differential Mount
    EPL Stage 2+ Dual Pulley | EPL TCU | JHM 179 Pulley | MercRacing Heat Exchanger | X-Pipe | Black Badges | Blacked Out Sidemarkers | LED's
    Nitto Motivo | Roc Euro Intake |RS Grill | 35% Tint Windows | 35% Tint Tail Lights | Shadow Lights | Quattro License Plate Frame | 5000K Fog Lights | VAGCOM Mods

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    ML350
    Items for Sale

Several people have asked about logging their vehicle, so I put together a “how to” on logging with the Ross-Tech VCDS software and cable (VAGCOM). Logging is critical to understanding how your car is performing, and even more so if you are tuned. There are several parameters that can be logged that will give a good indication as to how your car is running, and if there are any problems. This “how to” guide will cover how to perform basic performance logging, and also how to interpret some of the results (covered in the next post).

============
    First, a few things:
    *Every version of Ross-Tech software is slightly different. In terms of logging, the only real difference is the location number associated with each logging parameter. The name of the parameter will be similar from version to version, but the associated location number may be different. I am using version 12.12.1 in the screen captures below, but I have updated it with the parameters from version 15.7.1 (updated 10/8/2015). Regardless, your version may be slightly different. The software is updated often.
    *One of the key things people like to log is requested and actual boost. In recent versions of the Ross-Tech software boost is not displayed as an absolute value. Some conversion and calculation is required. This is covered in the next post.
    *While there are others ways to log a vehicle, this only covers using the full version of Ross-Tech software with their VCDS cable.
    *Logging must be done with Windows software. That can be XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8. Doesn’t really matter. An Apple/Mac that runs Windows will also work (Boot Camp, Parallels, etc.).

============
    Getting Started
    Step 1: Plug the Ross-Tech VCDS cable into the OBDII port under the dash on the driver’s side.

Step 2: With the car on, launch the VCDS software.
    *Note: The car can be in the ON position or running for steps 1-11.

Check for Fault Codes
    Step 3: Before you start logging, ensure there are no fault codes. Press the “Auto-Scan” button on the VCDS main menu.

Step 4: Once in the Auto-Scan section, press the “Start” button to scan for codes. The scan will take a few minutes as it scans all modules. If there are faults, I would recommend saving the scan results (copy/paste, save, print), and then clear the faults with the “Clear all DTC’s” button. Once this is done, “Close” the Auto-Scan section, and return to the main menu.

Logging Setup
    Step 5: Under “Select Control Module” press the “Select” button.

Step 6: Under the “Common” tab press the “01-Engine” module button.

Step 7: In the Engine Controller module, press the “Adv. Meas. Values” button to access the logging section.

Step 8: Select the “Ambient Air Pressure” value from the parameter list. Record the value displayed for future reference, and then uncheck the box. The ambient pressure value will be used later to calculate boost related values.

Step 9: Select the parameters you would like to log from the list.
    *Notes:
    -VCDS will let you select a maximum of 12 parameters, or 10 parameters if you use grouping (which is a must for good logs as we’ll cover below). So, concentrate on the parameters that are most important for this particular logging session. Fewer parameters logged will yield higher resolution logs.
    -For general performance logging, I recommend the following parameters, but you can pick the appropriate parameter for your needs from the list:

For B8:

002: Accelerator position (in %)
    009: Charge air pressure specified value (in hPa; specified boost+ambient air pressure)
    018: Engine speed (in RPM)
    089: Air mass (in kg/h; intake)
    186: Ignition angle; actual (in degrees)
    188: Intake air temperature (in degrees C)
    190: Intake manifold pressure; absolute (in hPa; actual boost+ambient air pressure)
    418: IGA_AD_KNK[0] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 1- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    419: IGA_AD_KNK[1] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 2- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    420: IGA_AD_KNK[2] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 3- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    421: IGA_AD_KNK[3] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 4- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    422: IGA_AD_KNK[4] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 5- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    423: IGA_AD_KNK[5] (in degrees; knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 6- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
    540: RFP_AV (bypass valve %)

For B8.5:

Group 2: Accelerator position (%)
    Group 11: Charge air pressure specified value (hPa)
    Group 24: Engine speed (rpm)
    Group 134: Air mass (kg/h)
    Group 226: Ignition angle; actual (degrees)
    Group 228: Intake air temperature (in degrees C)
    Group 230: Intake manifold pressure; absolute (hPa)
    Group 480-485: IGA_AD_1_KNK_x (knock correction in degrees; x is cylinder number 0-5)
    Group 616: RFP_AV (bypass valve %)

Step 10: Save the parameter list so you can easily access it at a later time by clicking the "VCDS" icon in the top-left corner. Name the file “performance” or similar. If you have parameter files for other types of logging, name them appropriately.

Logging
    Step 11: This step is very important for capturing good logs. Press the “Turbo” button, and check the “Group UDS requests” box at the top of the screen. This will speed up the logging, and also group all 10 fields to the same timestamp. This is the only way to get useful logs (otherwise, each parameter will have a different timestamp).

Step 12: Press the “Log” button to initiate the logging session. This will not start the actual logging process
    *Note: Your car should be running if it is not already.

Step 13: When you are ready, press the “Start” button. This will start the actual logging process.
    *Notes:
    -Logging should be performed in a controlled area where you can safely reach 85-90 MPH. The drag strip or dyno are the best options, but in places like Texas there are some pretty safe places to do this on the road (I do it late at night in traffic free areas with 70+ MPH speed limits).
    -Logging runs should capture a full 3rd gear pull at a minimum. 4th is probably a little better, but that should only be done at the drag strip or on a dyno. A full pull is around 3000 RPM to 7000 RPM. This can be tricky on a DSG car because you need to avoid triggering the kickdown switch at lower RPM’s. Play around with what works best, but the sooner you can get to full acceleration the better.
    -When logging, the A/C and radio should be OFF, the windows UP, car IN dynamic mode if available, and traction/ASR OFF (hold traction button for at least 5 seconds to turn both off).
    -Logging should be done on a flat surface, and if done multiple times it should be done at the same location and in similar conditions if possible. This makes comparing data more accurate.

Step 14: Once you have captured the needed logs, press the “Stop” button to stop the logging process, and “Done, close” when finished. The logs will be saved to the Ross-Tech/VCDS/Logs folder as a .CSV file (typically on the C:/ or wherever the Ross-Tech software is installed). It can be opened with Excel or similar.

============
    That is it for capturing basic performance logs. The next post will cover some of the basics in regards to interpreting the logs.

============
    In addition to logging the basic performance parameters listed above, VCDS gives the option to log many many other things.
    *Some examples:
    -If you are experiencing timing being pulled due to engine knock detection, you may want to log knock on each individual cylinder instead of just the 2 covered above. In that case you would want to log something like: accelerator position, engine speed, ignition angle; actual, and IGA_AD_KNK[x] on all 6 cylinders. Those 9 parameters may point to an issue with a specific cylinder.
    -As you can see, accelerator position and engine speed are really needed every time so you have some reference point in the logs. Intake air temperature is also good to log as it will give a good idea on the conditions.
    -More fields and examples are below (updated below).
    ====================
    Update with additional fields:

Misfires:
    If you are experiencing misfires, you may want to log misfires on all 6 cylinders to see where the problem is coming from. In that case you would want to log accelerator position, engine speed, misfires all cylinders, misfires cylinder X on all 6 cylinders. These 9 parameters may point to an issue with a specific cylinder, or a more general problem.

Some (low number of) random misfires that DO NOT result in a fault code are fairly normal. I see it on most 3.0 TFSI engines stock or tuned. With that said, Audi has dumbed down the misfire reporting threshold, so it is possible misfires could be causing a performance issue, but also not trigger a CEL. I don't have an answer on what constitutes a real problem.... Maybe others can chime in. In the most basic sense, if you see a CEL due to misfires, there is definitely an issue. If you see a low number of misfires and no CEL, it may be normal. If you see a high number of constant misfires, but no CEL, blame Audi for dumbing down the threshold and try to figure out the problem.

251- Misfires all cylinders per 1000 rpm 0
    253- Misfires cylinder 1 per 1000 rpm 0
    255- Misfires cylinder 2 per 1000 rpm 0
    257- Misfires cylinder 3 per 1000 rpm 0
    259- Misfires cylinder 4 per 1000 rpm 0
    261- Misfires cylinder 5 per 1000 rpm 0
    263- Misfires cylinder 6 per 1000 rpm 0

Lambda/Air:Fuel/EGT:
    Lambda or Air:Fuel ratio is important to understand for a couple of reasons. The most basic is to ensure your engine tuning is optimal. This is obviously more important with aftermarket (non-OEM) tuning. If you want to see what "normal" is, log your car with the stock tune, and the specified values will give you a pretty good idea for different scenarios. Assuming fueling is sufficient, specific and actual should be fairly close. If the actual number is higher than the specified value, you will start running into issues (not good).

On that note, if you are running E85 or the fuel system near maximum capacity, it is a good way to determine if fueling needs are being met. Again, E85 or if you are mixing E85 with regular gas, could present an issue on the stock fuel system. E85 has (about 33%) less energy per part compared to regular high octane fuel, so it takes roughly 33% more of it to run your vehicle. This can tap out the stock fuel system pretty quickly if too much is used. To run strait E85, and upgraded HPFP would be required. The advantage of E85 is the higher relative octane (close to the equivalent of 105 octane).

020- Exhaust temperature 1 bank 1 460.0 ∞C
    021- Exhaust temperature 1 bank 2 459.5 ∞C
    238- Lambda probes actual; bank1 0.9971
    13- same?
    239- Lambda probes actual; bank2 1.0049
    14- same?
    244- Lambda probes specification; bank 1 0.9971
    245- Lambda probes specification; bank 2 0.9971
    246- Lambda probes specified; bank1 0.9971
    247- Lambda probes specified; bank2 0.9971
    (note that 244-247 seem to be the same thing, the specified Lambda value, so logging one is likely sufficient).

194-199: Knock sensor voltage

Table to convert Lambda to Air:Fuel ratios:

Fuel Pressures, Trims, and Injectors

87- Rail pressure actual
    170- Rail pressure specified
    22- Fuel pressure
    187- Fuel pump, actual fuel pressure

Fuel Trims/Adaptations (%)
    47- Long-term adaptation; bank 1
    48- Long-term adaptation; bank 2
    63- Short-term adaptation; bank 1
    64- Short-term adaptation; bank 2

Injector Pulse Width (IPW in ms):
    609- TI_1_HOM[0]
    610- TI_1_HOM[1]
    611- TI_1_HOM[2]
    612- TI_1_HOM[3]
    613- TI_1_HOM[4]
    614- TI_1_HOM[5]
    To calculate the injector duty cycle, it is something like: (RPM x IPW)/300=IDC

================

Just a quick update on the new version of VCDS (15.7.4). Several people have reported very low resolution when logging 10 parameters with Grouping/Turbo enabled. In my case, I was only getting a couple lines of data on an entire 1/4-mile pass.

Another member changed some settings as recommended by Ross-Tech, and it seemed to help. I've posted the changes he made below. If you are having issues with 15.7.4, you may want to try these changes.

I'll throw them up. jran can use these links if he wants to, and when he has the time~
    2011 A4 Stage 2+ APR : EUROCODE : CTS : 034 : PUREMS : ECS TUNING : USP MOTORSPORTS : BFI : SNOW PERFORMANCE

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shaunm82 View Post
    I'll throw them up. jran can use these links if he wants to, and when he has the time~
    How did you get the images back up? Did you upgrade or is there a work around? I use photo bucket and lost 3rd part hosting as well.
    2013 S4 S-tronic - APR intake // KI 200mm crank pulley // EPL Stg II DP 93 + TCU tune // PLM hx // Jokerz Blower // Headers
    11.425 @ 118.16

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    ML350
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by kelseysautobody View Post
    How did you get the images back up? Did you upgrade or is there a work around? I use photo bucket and lost 3rd part hosting as well.
    I uploaded the images onto imgur, and just went through and changed all the links.

Hayden did post a link on a temp workaround for photobucket, if you use Chrome

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ht=photobucket

So I installed that extension for Chrome, and went through all the DIY links in the A4/S4 and saved quite a few of the ones I thought I might need/want someday lol.

Active Member Two Rings WHITELIGHTINGS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

anybody know what group the injectors are on b8.5 latest update

Active Member Two Rings WHITELIGHTINGS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

vcds b8.5 injector groups please help

anybody know what group the injectors are on b8.5 latest update

AZ Member #

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 30 psi seems high for a stage 2 car.. hPa -> psi conversion should be hPa * .0145 = psi, right??
    2011 S4 P+
    Unitronic Stage 2+ ECU / Stage 2 TCU | JHM 179 Crank Pulley | Vogtland Coilovers | CR-15 | Eurocode Intake Pipe | Drilled Airbox | ECS X-Pipe | ECS Rotors | VMR 710 19x9.5 ET45 | 265/35 Pilot A/S 3
    IG: b8_s4thewin

Established Member Three Rings FromRagsToS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I measured ambient air pressure at idle and got 93kPa.

Then I did this equation:

((Intake Manifold Pressure; Absolute) - (kPa*10)) * (1hpa)

Also written:

(Intake Manifold Pressure; Absolute) - (930)) * (0.0145)

For Requested Boost, do the equation with "Charge Air Pressure; Specified". For Actual Boost, do the equation with "Intake Manifold Pressure; Absolute"
    2014 S4 Premium Plus/Glacier White Metallic/6spd Manual/Sports Diff/Adaptive Damping Suspension/Black Napa Leather/19" Peelers/B&O Sound/MMI-Navi/Side Assist/Carbon Atlas Inlays

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by FromRagsToS4 View Post
    I measured ambient air pressure at idle and got 93kPa.

Then I did this equation:

((Intake Manifold Pressure; Absolute) - (kPa*10)) * (1hpa)

Also written:

(Intake Manifold Pressure; Absolute) - (930)) * (0.0145)

For Requested Boost, do the equation with "Charge Air Pressure; Specified". For Actual Boost, do the equation with "Intake Manifold Pressure; Absolute"
    Duh... forgot they were absolute values.. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2011 S4 P+
    Unitronic Stage 2+ ECU / Stage 2 TCU | JHM 179 Crank Pulley | Vogtland Coilovers | CR-15 | Eurocode Intake Pipe | Drilled Airbox | ECS X-Pipe | ECS Rotors | VMR 710 19x9.5 ET45 | 265/35 Pilot A/S 3
    IG: b8_s4thewin

AZ Member #

Can Mode 6 be accessed through VCDS somehow on the B8.5? It is greyed out in OBD II mode and I'm trying to get some live data on my rear O2 sensors for a P014B code.
    11.425 @ 118.16

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 Audi S5, '15 BMW 528i

you select the option for "ODB-II" functions to monitor the rear O2 sensors live. Once you get to the next menu, select the B1/S2 and B2/S2 Oxygen Sensor from the drop-down menu's and hit "graph"

Green line is a bad cat, "Purple" line is a healthy cat:

-Loe- ('14 Audi S5 S-tronic )
    [10.976@124.86mph | +498 ft. D/A | 3.110 PR ]
    [11.053@124.71mph | +1150 ft. D/A | 3.371 PR ]
    Technical discussions? JOIN ME!