Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring kadowaki0420's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2004 audi a4 1.8t heating issue

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have had this heating issue for a while. I am blowing cold air when the car is already at normal temp but while I was driving on the highway, it blew hot air. I did my research and thought it could be a heater core that was clogged. So I unclogged it and bleed it. I then drove it around to make sure all air was out of the system... After that I realized that both the inlet and outlet hose going to the heater core has no fluid at all. Now, even though I'm driving on the High way, I do not get hot air. The heater core is BONE DRY!!! I had also already replaced the coolant flange because it was leaking really bad. WTF is the problem. HELP!!! SOS!!!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 Honda Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by kadowaki0420 View Post
    I have had this heating issue for a while. I am blowing cold air when the car is already at normal temp but while I was driving on the highway, it blew hot air. I did my research and thought it could be a heater core that was clogged. So I unclogged it and bleed it. I then drove it around to make sure all air was out of the system... After that I realized that both the inlet and outlet hose going to the heater core has no fluid at all. Now, even though I'm driving on the High way, I do not get hot air. The heater core is BONE DRY!!! I had also already replaced the coolant flange because it was leaking really bad. WTF is the problem. HELP!!! SOS!!!
    If your gauge is working properly try this. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Core_Flush.htm If it isnt replace the 2 pin and 4 pin coolant sensors.

Bleeding the system is to get the potential air out. When was the last time you flushed the system? ( I did mine last year and I couldn't believe hoe much crap came out of the black itself. I cannot find the DIY or write up at this time online. GOOGLE IT. get a good one with pics and descriptions. )

You dont want to bleed the system by taking the coolant line off the firewall. There is a BLACK rail to the left of you silver fuel line if its a 1.8 that has a ALAN wrench head on it. You let the car warm up about a quarter on the gauge and open it just a little bit and wait until water type substance comes out. Make sure the heater is on the low setting.

IF you haven't flushed the system since youve owned the car. I would suggest doing it ASAP to be sure you know its done.

Get the core flushed. Its easy, I did it today and took about a hour of drinking a few beers and reading instructions.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Core_Flush.htm

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1991 Chevy 4x4, LT1 powered.

I just finished going through the same thing. Three years now and my Audi has never had good heat. Plenty of heat at 2500+ Rpm sure, but almost none at idle. Over the time I've owned it my cooling system has gotten a new t-stat/housing, j-plug, combi-vale, water pump, and I have flushed the heater core and block just this year. I just could never get the air out of the system properly I guess. That, and there just isn't much flow in this system at idle. My solution: I ended up installing an auxiliary water pump from a 2.7t car on the heater core supply line. I also added a couple large resistors that come with LEDs to the wiring to quiet it down a bit. My car puts out so much heat at idle now that I'm worried about breaking the glass!
    2004 A4 Dolphin Grey Ultrasport 1.8t 6spd -
    Stg1 tune, S4 brakes, RS4 sway, JHM shifter