Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    Venting about CHP in California and a warning to others

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I really don't care if anyone believes me or not, but this is my story and I swear its true. About 3 months ago I got pulled on the NB 14 freeway out side Lancaster. I was in my S5 cruising at 77 in the 70 speed limit divided highway freeway. I'm being passed by plenty of faster cars and its pretty common to see 80-85 out there. Because I was not even close to going a "ticket-able" speed I was not scanning the opposite direction too hard for CHP. Then an all white cruiser shoots radar in my face, whips a center median U turn and pulls me over and claims he had me on radar at 82. I'm sure he had someone on radar at 82 but it wasn't me. I wrote this one off as mistaken identity on his part, he's just doing his job, and mistakes happen. However being the proactive guy that I am, I stealthily installed a 9500xi, hard wired in. My attitude was that shit isn't going to happen again and I need a little more help with the electronic awareness battle.

    Well that brings me to yesterday, almost the exact same place (different officer). The speed limit is 70MPH here, again NB on 14 FWY. This time I receive KA for close to 4 miles that steadily gets stronger. I was just passing the speed limit change from 65-70 when the KA started showing, so I just keep the cruise set at exactly 70 MPH. I eventually come up on the CHP and he is pulled over to the far right with a customer, and I congratulate my self on my purchase of the radar detector and how much warning it gave me. I punch off the cruise control about 2000 feet prior to passing him and SLOWED to 65, 5 under the limit. I then changed lanes from the #2 lane to the #1 lane to give him more room and be polite. As I pass him he pulls out behind me and lights me up. I'm thinking WTF. To my utter amazement he proceeds to tell me he had me on radar at 86 and writes me up for that. He did not see the radar detector or say anything about it if he did. I asked him if he even did a visual estimation of my speed which he replies "Yep, in my rear view mirror" I asked him if he saw me change lanes to give him more room, and he said doesn't matter. He lied right to my face about the visual estimation (or he is really bad at it).

    Now keep in mind the entire time I am going exactly 70 in a 70 with my detector blaring KA, for about 4 miles; I am being passed by faster cars like crazy. I actually wanted to somehow warn them of a CHP up ahead, but could not really do that on the freeway.

    I have now lost all respect for the once "Honorable" CHP. They have become nothing more than lying tax collectors for the broke Peoples Republic of California. I really don't know what else I could have done yesterday to avoid a ticket other than not leave the house. I honestly think this is a case of "That Audi with the distinctive day time running lights deserves a ticket" and the truth does not matter to them.

    I plan to fight both of these tickets, so now I will have a front row seat as to how much justice one can receive in the justice department. I am not too optimistic on that count.

    End rant, thanks for listening.
    2013 S5 / Monsoon Grey / 6 MT / Tint 20% rear, 80% front / EC Alu-kreuz / EC USS sways and links, front and rear / Bilstein PSS10 / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 15F & 20R / Red Stuff pads / EC Adjustable Short Throw Shifter / EC TF Intake / Apikol rear diff mount / Mich PSS 265/35/19

  2. #2
    Established Member Four Rings Not A Good Idea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 26 2012
    AZ Member #
    92588
    My Garage
    Hmmmm...
    Location
    Li. Ny

    i had the same issue here on the East side of the states. get a GPS based front or rear mount camera.... next time that happens just take the evidence to court. ;)
    Resident Hulk

    GLeg did it four the LuLz.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Four Rings ActivS5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    65419
    My Garage
    2009 Nissan GT-R, 2013 Audi S5, 2013 Toyota Prius, 2013 Subaru Impreza Wagon
    Location
    Sacramento, CA

    That sucks man. Been in similar situations before. Not fun at all, and really nothing you can do until you see a judge. SO frustrating
    2013 S5 | Daytona Gray | Build Thread
    2009 GT-R | Black Obsidian | Full bolt on tuned for E85 | 570 WTQ and 550 WHP | 10.74 at 131.65mph

    Previous
    2008 S5 | Ibis White | Build Thread
    2008 A5 | Matte Gray

    ActivFilms.TV
    Instagram: @Cfeulner @ActivFilms

  4. #4
    Active Member Two Rings kehvein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 09 2011
    AZ Member #
    70712
    My Garage
    08 Audi A5 S-Line, Acura TL Type-S
    Location
    LA/CA/WEST

    I totally get you. Here's the best part. Defiantly take it to court. In fact visuals do not hold up in court. They have to have physical evidence. When I got mine on the 101 I asked to see the inspection documents for radar gun that he used. Cop didn't have them and ticket was dropped. However they of course gave me a lovely $25 dropped few. Seriously a joke.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    08 A5 S-Line 3.2L | Custom Black Top | Euro Facelift Tail lights | MMI 3G+ Upgrade from 2G | VAGCOM Mods | LED Interiror tunerdomes.com | APR Cold Air Intake System | More to come...


    If anyone in SoCal needs VAGCOM Mods/Help... Hit me up.

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings Izzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 06 2013
    AZ Member #
    114674
    Location
    California

    Sometimes I can't stand CHP. Been there, best luck would be if the cop just doesn't show at all.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings BrucexL33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 19 2010
    AZ Member #
    56341
    Location
    San Jose, CA

    Last December I got pulled over by a CHP too. I was pulling out of merging lane onto 101, to the outter lane. Obviously you're going to have to speed up to do that. As soon as I finish the lane change I get pulled over. CHP guy asked me do you know how fast you were going? I said 75 ish. He goes no, you were going close to 80. I said to myself BS cause I would know if I hit 80. He wrote a ticket with 80 MPH on it when he clearly said CLOSE to 80 NOT 80. Damn CHP never even said exactly how fast I was going and left.

  7. #7
    Established Member Three Rings SE-Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26 2013
    AZ Member #
    115913
    My Garage
    BMW 328i Sport
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA

    I won't rant or comment about CHP beyond we should all know what useless and garbage they are.

    As for fighting the tickets:

    1) You are guilty until proven innocent in traffic court.

    2) You cannot be proven innocent in traffic court.

    3) If you ever want a chance of getting it thrown out you'll have to plead not guilty, go to traffic court, the fake judge will assume you're guilty no matter what, you'll have to APPEAL it, at which time you'll go to a new REAL judge. Now, you have a chance...

    4) They need only prove it's more likely you did what you are charged with than not. This is not "beyond a reasonable doubt" like murder or other real trial situations.


    As others have said, get a cam with GPS and SPEED tracking so you'll have all the details to defend yourself. If an officer comes up to your car and notices or otherwise finds out that you're recording everything you can be sure he'll stick to the books as if you do catch him in a lie it means the end of his career.

    Also, your story is pretty one sided it sounds like. Yes, maybe it is 100% accurate but you have to look at it from outside point of view and without any details like "I was doing 85, radar went off, slowed down, 5 miles later cop was there..." To tell us "I was doing exactly the speed limit" hurts your story because NO ONE does speed limit in California.
    2014 S5 White - 6MT - MMI - B&O - Black Optics
    2013 S4 White - 6MT - Navi - B&O (Sold)
    2006 Mazdaspeed6 - 6MT - Navi - Bose (Gone)
    1997 Civic - B20 Swap 239 whp (Sold)
    1989 Subaru XT6 - Auto (Dead)

  8. #8
    Established Member Three Rings SE-Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26 2013
    AZ Member #
    115913
    My Garage
    BMW 328i Sport
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by BrucexL33 View Post
    Last December I got pulled over by a CHP too. I was pulling out of merging lane onto 101, to the outter lane. Obviously you're going to have to speed up to do that. As soon as I finish the lane change I get pulled over. CHP guy asked me do you know how fast you were going? I said 75 ish. He goes no, you were going close to 80. I said to myself BS cause I would know if I hit 80. He wrote a ticket with 80 MPH on it when he clearly said CLOSE to 80 NOT 80. Damn CHP never even said exactly how fast I was going and left.
    This is another great example of having auto/video recording devices for these situations. I got cited for a high speed years ago, at first it was X, and later became Y when written down on the ticket. If you have auto/video where the officer states your speed and then later bumps it up you're in for some get-out-of-shit-free-cards ;)
    2014 S5 White - 6MT - MMI - B&O - Black Optics
    2013 S4 White - 6MT - Navi - B&O (Sold)
    2006 Mazdaspeed6 - 6MT - Navi - Bose (Gone)
    1997 Civic - B20 Swap 239 whp (Sold)
    1989 Subaru XT6 - Auto (Dead)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Four Rings Mops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 28 2010
    AZ Member #
    64971
    My Garage
    '13 VW GTI 4dr, '14 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Location
    NW North China

    Wow, I would be so pissed off. That has got to be crazy frustrating. Good luck.
    Use "Mops10" for 10% off your Adams Polishes order
    Get with me for your BC Forged needs


    Clicky: My Flickr :: Build Thread :: Instagram: mopz_

  10. #10
    Established Member Four Rings Bomiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2012
    AZ Member #
    92869
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Items for Sale

    I got a ticket from san diego to LA when Socal Euro ended and the cop wrote me for 75 in a 65.
    2013 S4 | Monsoon Gray | Premium+ | Nav | B&O | Advanced Key | 19" | Carbon Atlas | Sports Diff | Build Thread!!
    Mods:Air 80 Tint all Around | Roc-Euro Intake | APR RSC Full Exhaust | Alu Kreuz | RS4 Grill from AMI | Miro 111 19x9.5 | Solo-Werks Coilovers | Deval Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser | Vagcom |

  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 02 2013
    AZ Member #
    114482
    Location
    Raleigh, NC

    Few days ago I was pulled over by a cop in Raleigh, NC at 2 am. I was sure I wasn't speeding since I noticed him far before he could aim. So, he came to my car, looked with a flashlight into the car, stick his head inside trying to smell something. After I asked him what was the reason I am being stopped, he said: "uhhh.... its just a friendly reminder that your registration is due in a month." I know that my name is russian and that might give some ideas, but srsly?
    My brother received a ticket from NC state campus police (pu**y police) for not stopping on stop light on December 31st 2012. Policeman stopped him, as always smelled inside the car, asked what was in a metal cup. Brother told protein shake, he asked if he can smell it... Well that protein been there closed for a month at least. Long story short, my bro asked what was a reason for a stop. It took cop real 30 sec to came up with failed to stop on a stop sign. The only problem, he was driving on a street with no stop signs at all. I know were he was parked and now that road pretty good, there is only traffic lights but no stop signs on a huge street. We took that ticket to court, with a dash cam recording and 2 witness inside the car (yes i know they doesnt count), policeman actually failed to appear for three times...

  12. #12
    Established Member Two Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    Quote Originally Posted by SE-Chris View Post
    This is another great example of having auto/video recording devices for these situations. I got cited for a high speed years ago, at first it was X, and later became Y when written down on the ticket. If you have auto/video where the officer states your speed and then later bumps it up you're in for some get-out-of-shit-free-cards ;)
    I'm thinking this might be my next mod. Has anyone done this?
    2013 S5 / Monsoon Grey / 6 MT / Tint 20% rear, 80% front / EC Alu-kreuz / EC USS sways and links, front and rear / Bilstein PSS10 / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 15F & 20R / Red Stuff pads / EC Adjustable Short Throw Shifter / EC TF Intake / Apikol rear diff mount / Mich PSS 265/35/19

  13. #13
    Established Member Two Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    Quote Originally Posted by SE-Chris View Post
    I won't rant or comment about CHP beyond we should all know what useless and garbage they are.

    As for fighting the tickets:

    1) You are guilty until proven innocent in traffic court.

    2) You cannot be proven innocent in traffic court.

    3) If you ever want a chance of getting it thrown out you'll have to plead not guilty, go to traffic court, the fake judge will assume you're guilty no matter what, you'll have to APPEAL it, at which time you'll go to a new REAL judge. Now, you have a chance...

    4) They need only prove it's more likely you did what you are charged with than not. This is not "beyond a reasonable doubt" like murder or other real trial situations.


    As others have said, get a cam with GPS and SPEED tracking so you'll have all the details to defend yourself. If an officer comes up to your car and notices or otherwise finds out that you're recording everything you can be sure he'll stick to the books as if you do catch him in a lie it means the end of his career.

    Also, your story is pretty one sided it sounds like. Yes, maybe it is 100% accurate but you have to look at it from outside point of view and without any details like "I was doing 85, radar went off, slowed down, 5 miles later cop was there..." To tell us "I was doing exactly the speed limit" hurts your story because NO ONE does speed limit in California.
    Is what it is. I know what I had set in the cruise, and for all practical purposes, I was down to 65 about 1000 feet from him, the generally accepted max range for a visual estimation. He lied when he said he did one, but proving that will be difficult. As for the radar, there was a van in front of me the entire time, which would prevent him from receiving a strongest target on me. He was probably using his "fastest" window to allegedly track me, but the "fastest" window is the fastest vehicle in the beam of the radar, one of the 12 or more cars on the freeway that are in the beam. My plan is to subpoena the MVARS video from his car that will show the van passing his car just before I pass his car, corroborating that I was not out front by my self, a legal requirement to use radar. I don't think he can explain that away. BTW I have learned that nearly all CHP now have MVARS, and this one did on this day.
    2013 S5 / Monsoon Grey / 6 MT / Tint 20% rear, 80% front / EC Alu-kreuz / EC USS sways and links, front and rear / Bilstein PSS10 / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 15F & 20R / Red Stuff pads / EC Adjustable Short Throw Shifter / EC TF Intake / Apikol rear diff mount / Mich PSS 265/35/19

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings Sheep Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 10 2013
    AZ Member #
    124670
    My Garage
    RS5, SQ5, B5 S4
    Location
    Bay Area, CA

    Contest if you feel it was not a legitimate violation. If the Officer does not show up in traffic court it will be dismissed. If he shows, he will make a prepared statement regarding the facts of the case from his recollection. Any Officer worth a damn will have the calibration records of any device used, along with serial numbers and his own training record. You will then be given an opportunity by the Judge to ask the Officer questions regarding the case. Them, you will be allowed to make a statement to the Judge. At the conclusion of your statement, the Judge will make a ruling based upon the evidence at hand and testimony heard.

    FYI. Visual estimation is a valid court accepted method for speed estimation. During radar school, students are required to visually estimate actual vehicles in motion to within usually five mph, or plus or minus five mph...depending on who is running the school. Failure to do so is a course failure.

  15. #15
    Established Member Two Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Dog View Post
    Contest if you feel it was not a legitimate violation. If the Officer does not show up in traffic court it will be dismissed. If he shows, he will make a prepared statement regarding the facts of the case from his recollection. Any Officer worth a damn will have the calibration records of any device used, along with serial numbers and his own training record. You will then be given an opportunity by the Judge to ask the Officer questions regarding the case. Them, you will be allowed to make a statement to the Judge. At the conclusion of your statement, the Judge will make a ruling based upon the evidence at hand and testimony heard.

    FYI. Visual estimation is a valid court accepted method for speed estimation. During radar school, students are required to visually estimate actual vehicles in motion to within usually five mph, or plus or minus five mph...depending on who is running the school. Failure to do so is a course failure.
    Dog whats your opinion of visual estimation out the rear view mirror. Do you train using the mirrors and is it less accurate?
    2013 S5 / Monsoon Grey / 6 MT / Tint 20% rear, 80% front / EC Alu-kreuz / EC USS sways and links, front and rear / Bilstein PSS10 / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 15F & 20R / Red Stuff pads / EC Adjustable Short Throw Shifter / EC TF Intake / Apikol rear diff mount / Mich PSS 265/35/19

  16. #16
    Established Member Two Rings Sheep Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 10 2013
    AZ Member #
    124670
    My Garage
    RS5, SQ5, B5 S4
    Location
    Bay Area, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by u2nelson View Post
    Dog whats your opinion of visual estimation out the rear view mirror. Do you train using the mirrors and is it less accurate?
    No, training for visual speed estimation is not done using rear view mirrors. Rear facing radar or lidar is used instead, but not all agencies have that type of equipment. The chippies should have rear facing radar though.

  17. #17
    Established Member Four Rings Not A Good Idea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 26 2012
    AZ Member #
    92588
    My Garage
    Hmmmm...
    Location
    Li. Ny

    Quote Originally Posted by u2nelson View Post
    I'm thinking this might be my next mod. Has anyone done this?
    you probably missed my post... but yes i have done front and rear cameras for myself and others.
    Last edited by Not A Good Idea; 10-21-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    Resident Hulk

    GLeg did it four the LuLz.

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Three Rings YelloJello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05 2007
    AZ Member #
    21587
    Location
    San Jose, CA, USA

    Do the DRL's make the radar or laser react or reflect differently to display a higher rate of speed? Sorry if stupid question haha.

    '13 | 6MT | sepang blue | black silver nappa | cf inlays | sports rear differential | plastidip grill | 20x10 vorsteiner vff-101 - 275/30/20 re760 | matte black window trim tape | kw v1 | alu kreuz | smoked fogs | piaa yellow H8 fogs | eurocode intake | retrofitlab pwy24w signal leds | apikol rear diff mount | eurocode meisterwerk ssk
    RIP '08 S5 6MT ibis tuscan cf inlays H&R oe springs stasis arb awe track exhaust plastidip grill awe intake filter jhm ssk
    '99 E36 M3

  19. #19
    Veteran Member Four Rings littleredwagen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 08 2008
    AZ Member #
    23964
    My Garage
    2011 S4
    Location
    NJ

    I had this exact same type of encounter in NJ, I fought him on the side of the road for almost 1/2 hour till I won. He claimed to have clocked me at 71 in a 55, the 9500 had another opinion on that matter. In NJ the 16 mph over is the start of 4+ point ticket, very convenient. Bottom line fight if he is wrong and tell him to prove it. They are counting on people playing I did not how fast I was going.
    -Matt
    2011 Phantom Black S4 Prestige 6mt
    Past:
    2001.5 S4 EPL Stage 3 Imola Yellow
    2005 S4 Avant 6spd Brilliant Red

  20. #20
    Senior Member Four Rings shonseb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04 2010
    AZ Member #
    62259
    My Garage
    '14 Audi A4 P+, '99 E320
    Location
    Queenz/Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by Not A Good Idea View Post
    i had the same issue here on the East side of the states. get a GPS based front or rear mount camera.... next time that happens just take the evidence to court. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by u2nelson View Post
    I'm thinking this might be my next mod. Has anyone done this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Not A Good Idea View Post
    you probably missed my post... but yes i have done front and rear cameras for myself and others.
    There is a sale right now on mass drop and ends in 22hrs, get 'em while you can:

    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvue-dr500gw-hd-wifi
    2014 RS5 Sepang Blue on Lunar Silver, MMI, Black Optics, Ceramic Brakes
    Gone: 2011 A5 P+ Ibis White, Ti Edition, Nav, B&O

  21. #21
    Established Member Two Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Not A Good Idea View Post
    i had the same issue here on the East side of the states. get a GPS based front or rear mount camera.... next time that happens just take the evidence to court. ;)
    Your right I kinda missed your post. Thanks for the advice, I'n on it for a GPS camera. Its ridiculous, but you have to protect your self from the corruption. I wounder what he would have said, If I told him everything is being recorded by this little due-hickey and it knows exactly how fast I was going.
    2013 S5 / Monsoon Grey / 6 MT / Tint 20% rear, 80% front / EC Alu-kreuz / EC USS sways and links, front and rear / Bilstein PSS10 / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 15F & 20R / Red Stuff pads / EC Adjustable Short Throw Shifter / EC TF Intake / Apikol rear diff mount / Mich PSS 265/35/19

  22. #22
    Veteran Member Four Rings GotRS?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18 2008
    AZ Member #
    28921
    My Garage
    RS5
    Location
    SoCal

    I've had a dashcam for some time now, for this and other occurring road BS.

    '13 RS5
    '13 S6 turbo lag
    '07 RS4
    '01 S4 turbo lag
    I'm seeing a trend here, it will become the future, be afraid.
    Adams Polishes... Use "Mops10" for 10% off your order

  23. #23
    Established Member Two Rings Sheep Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 10 2013
    AZ Member #
    124670
    My Garage
    RS5, SQ5, B5 S4
    Location
    Bay Area, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by YelloJello View Post
    Do the DRL's make the radar or laser react or reflect differently to display a higher rate of speed? Sorry if stupid question haha.
    DRLs have no impact to radar or lidar. Misty/rainy weather conditions can sometimes causes difficulty in getting a quick reading on a distant target though.

  24. #24
    Veteran Member Four Rings Alkivar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 16 2009
    AZ Member #
    42591
    My Garage
    '08 A5 3.2L S-line, '03 Passat GLX 4Motion
    Location
    Maine aka Canada Jr.

    been there before...

    Last summer I got ticketed for 102 in a 65 by a spotter in a plane doing a visual speed assessment (no radar).
    His data on the paperwork for court showed me at 5 different recordings: 88, 90, 102, 87, 78 (avg of 89)...
    but of course I was charged for doing 102 (someone needs to go take statistics again... outlier much)

    Judge would not allow my dashcam GPS logs showing I never went over 90mph into evidence.
    Judge would not allow a plea bargain because I was "over 100mph".
    Judge told the DA to tack on an additional charge of "reckless endangerment" because of being over 100mph.

    fortunately for me my lawyer got this shitty joke of a trial torn to shreds on appeal. I ended up with a $400 fine, no points, and had to take a defensive driving class online.

    Pretty sure the Judge was up for re-election or something.

    in case your wondering why getting under 100mph is so criticial... up here they can impound and crush your car for "street racing" if you exceed 100mph.
    '08 A5 3.2L S-Line Brilliant Black/Black...

    "fuck your woods, fuck your bears, i'm machinegunning everything" - Marty
    "i used to date gold digging polish chicks, the venus fly traps of semen." - Marty
    "Listen, you can attatch F1-style suspension to a giant dildo, but at the end of the day, its still a dildo." - mdzaudi
    "i don't actually know how marriages work, i run from the idea like cruz runs from sobriety." - Marty

  25. #25
    Senior Member Four Rings Guitarmageddon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    66091
    My Garage
    A few buckets, a lot of microfiber towels, and an old washer and dryer- PM me in NoVa to buy cheap
    Location
    Stafford, VA

    My ass. Ive heard plenty of accounts of visual speed estimation being beaten.\

    http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/38/3831.asp

    Fight that

    "It was clear error for the district court to find that Deputy Elliott's 'difficulty with measurements is immaterial to his estimate of speed as that did not depend on time or distance,'" Judge James A. Wynn, Jr. wrote for the majority. "This finding rings absurd because one cannot discern the speed of a vehicle measured in miles-per-hour without discerning both the increment of distance traveled and the increment of time passed."

    The Fourth Amendment requires reasonable suspicion, a standard not met with a guess regarding the slight excess in speed claimed. To find otherwise, the majority argued, would be to allow police to pull anyone over for any reason, since the courts already overlook subjective motivations of officers.

    "In the absence of sufficient additional indicia of reliability, an officer's visual approximation that a vehicle is traveling in slight excess of the legal speed limit is a guess that is merely conclusory and which lacks the necessary factual foundation to provide an officer with reasonably trustworthy information to initiate a traffic stop," Wynn wrote.
    2007 S4 in Phantom ▀lack Pearl....1 of 1...in the country
    JHM Piggies │ JHM Short throw shifter │ F.I. Non-resonated cat▀ack │ JHM 93 oct. │ 35/35 tints

  26. #26
    Established Member Two Rings Sheep Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 10 2013
    AZ Member #
    124670
    My Garage
    RS5, SQ5, B5 S4
    Location
    Bay Area, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarmageddon View Post
    My ass. Ive heard plenty of accounts of visual speed estimation being beaten.\

    http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/38/3831.asp

    Fight that
    I would never use visual estimation for a citation. I use it for probable cause (PC) to effect a traffic stop when it is really obvious the vehicle is considerably above the posted limit or if the speed is unsafe for the conditions. I will not cite on visual estimation alone. Either pacing method, radar, or lidar...that is it. Upon contacting the driver, then I find out what is really going on. Based on that contact, I will issue a verbal warning or take it to the next level (if contraband is in plain view, subjects in the vehicle are on searchable probation/parole, odor of alcoholic beverage, odor of marijuana, etc.). I'm not a CHP Officer, so speeding tickets are not my focus of effort. I may have written two of them in the last year or more. Using a speeding violation for PC to stop the vehicle is my focus...in hopes of finding something more criminal in nature. Most of the time, a person is on their way after I run them out (records check of their criminal history and driver license status).

    YMMV...

  27. #27
    Established Member Two Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Dog View Post
    DRLs have no impact to radar or lidar. Misty/rainy weather conditions can sometimes causes difficulty in getting a quick reading on a distant target though.
    I agree no impact on Radar or laser accuracy, but apparently a huge impact on who the Officer is going to choose to pull over when his radar says someone out there is speeding.
    2013 S5 / Monsoon Grey / 6 MT / Tint 20% rear, 80% front / EC Alu-kreuz / EC USS sways and links, front and rear / Bilstein PSS10 / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 15F & 20R / Red Stuff pads / EC Adjustable Short Throw Shifter / EC TF Intake / Apikol rear diff mount / Mich PSS 265/35/19

  28. #28
    Established Member Two Rings Sheep Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 10 2013
    AZ Member #
    124670
    My Garage
    RS5, SQ5, B5 S4
    Location
    Bay Area, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by u2nelson View Post
    I agree no impact on Radar or laser accuracy, but apparently a huge impact on who the Officer is going to choose to pull over when his radar says someone out there is speeding.
    LOL. Funny thing is, I hardly ever stop Audis. I consider myself very impartial, but it seems a bit odd that Audi drivers would drive better than the general population.

  29. #29
    Established Member Two Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Dog View Post
    LOL. Funny thing is, I hardly ever stop Audis. I consider myself very impartial, but it seems a bit odd that Audi drivers would drive better than the general population.
    You da man...maybe I need to start a CHP Audi club and get them on our side.

    BTW, I found out that to get your hands on the CHP MVARS you have to issue a subpoena as CHP has ruled that to "protect the public" they cannot release or even let you look at the video with the less formal discovery process. Yes that is what they told me, to protect the public. I just shake my head at the BS they come up with to get out of their duty which is to uphold the law. The problem is you can only talk with the labor force who are just doing their job as dictated to them from on up high, and good luck finding those self proclaimed busy important people. So I'm back to getting my own video system for future problems. But I wounder, will a judge even look at it, or will he just say that's inadmissible meaning he would rather listen to what the officer has to say as he remembers it from 12 weeks ago.
    2013 S5 / Monsoon Grey / 6 MT / Tint 20% rear, 80% front / EC Alu-kreuz / EC USS sways and links, front and rear / Bilstein PSS10 / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 15F & 20R / Red Stuff pads / EC Adjustable Short Throw Shifter / EC TF Intake / Apikol rear diff mount / Mich PSS 265/35/19

  30. #30
    Established Member Two Rings Izzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 06 2013
    AZ Member #
    114674
    Location
    California

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkivar View Post
    been there before...

    Last summer I got ticketed for 102 in a 65 by a spotter in a plane doing a visual speed assessment (no radar).
    His data on the paperwork for court showed me at 5 different recordings: 88, 90, 102, 87, 78 (avg of 89)...
    but of course I was charged for doing 102 (someone needs to go take statistics again... outlier much)

    Judge would not allow my dashcam GPS logs showing I never went over 90mph into evidence.
    Judge would not allow a plea bargain because I was "over 100mph".
    Judge told the DA to tack on an additional charge of "reckless endangerment" because of being over 100mph.

    fortunately for me my lawyer got this shitty joke of a trial torn to shreds on appeal. I ended up with a $400 fine, no points, and had to take a defensive driving class online.

    Pretty sure the Judge was up for re-election or something.

    in case your wondering why getting under 100mph is so criticial... up here they can impound and crush your car for "street racing" if you exceed 100mph.
    That story made me flat out angry. What a massive joke.

  31. #31
    Established Member Two Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkivar View Post
    been there before...

    Last summer I got ticketed for 102 in a 65 by a spotter in a plane doing a visual speed assessment (no radar).
    His data on the paperwork for court showed me at 5 different recordings: 88, 90, 102, 87, 78 (avg of 89)...
    but of course I was charged for doing 102 (someone needs to go take statistics again... outlier much)

    Judge would not allow my dashcam GPS logs showing I never went over 90mph into evidence.
    Judge would not allow a plea bargain because I was "over 100mph".
    Judge told the DA to tack on an additional charge of "reckless endangerment" because of being over 100mph.

    fortunately for me my lawyer got this shitty joke of a trial torn to shreds on appeal. I ended up with a $400 fine, no points, and had to take a defensive driving class online.

    Pretty sure the Judge was up for re-election or something.

    in case your wondering why getting under 100mph is so criticial... up here they can impound and crush your car for "street racing" if you exceed 100mph.
    Man that is brutal, I'm glad your lawyer got things to a reasonable conclusion. Crush your car? That's crazy, and a huge overreach of Government power. The problem is how do you get a law passed to reign them in, you can't, because in the name of safety, virtually anything is justified in their minds.
    2013 S5 / Monsoon Grey / 6 MT / Tint 20% rear, 80% front / EC Alu-kreuz / EC USS sways and links, front and rear / Bilstein PSS10 / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 15F & 20R / Red Stuff pads / EC Adjustable Short Throw Shifter / EC TF Intake / Apikol rear diff mount / Mich PSS 265/35/19

  32. #32
    Established Member Two Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    Update...Both tickets dismissed. First one officer no show at trial, dismissed. Second, officer states to judge that in the interest of justice he would like the ticket dismissed and the judge complies. On the second ticket I used rules of discovery to obtain a copy of the officers own MVARS video, which clearly showed he could and did not use any radar on me, even though he claimed he did. He new I had it, and elected to not fight the ticket in open court. Second ticket dismissed. All this was a pain in the ass, and I had many sleepless nights worrying about it, but in the end it came out good.

    Link to a copy of the MVARS

    http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id...referrer=watch
    Last edited by u2nelson; 03-16-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    2013 S5 / Monsoon Grey / 6 MT / Tint 20% rear, 80% front / EC Alu-kreuz / EC USS sways and links, front and rear / Bilstein PSS10 / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 15F & 20R / Red Stuff pads / EC Adjustable Short Throw Shifter / EC TF Intake / Apikol rear diff mount / Mich PSS 265/35/19

  33. #33
    Established Member Three Rings SliverJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2013
    AZ Member #
    114548
    My Garage
    2013 TDI Passat sel premium
    Location
    Wa

    That is good to hear sucks you had to do so much leg work.
    BUY ME: 2004 S4 Avant
    Or me 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium and let me keep the Avant

  34. #34
    Senior Member Three Rings dtronics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2011
    AZ Member #
    71406
    Location
    Providence, RI

    2014 S5 | Phantom Black | 6MT | Black Optic | Sport Differential | H&R | AWE | HRE | Eurocode

  35. #35
    Active Member Two Rings glycerine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14 2014
    AZ Member #
    145596
    Location
    San Jose/CA

    Quote Originally Posted by u2nelson View Post
    Link to a copy of the MVARS
    Your link was broken, but I figured it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keIGGq5RygM
    Was the video that blurry when they gave it to you, or did YouTube drop it down?

  36. #36
    Senior Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    85071
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Items for Sale

    What a scumbag. It is really sad that some officers get off the hook with no punishment when they have no integrity. He blatantly tried to scam you in this case [FRAUD].The fact that he didn't even show up to defend his ticket is laughable. I'm glad it got dropped though.

    I, a member of the California Highway Patrol, subscribe in word and deed to the following:

    To serve the United States of America and the State of California honestly
    , and conscientiously; and fulfill my oath as a soldier of the law;

    To uphold and maintain the honor and integrity of the California Highway Patrol;

    Be loyal to my fellow officers; respect and obey my seniors in rank; and enforce the law without fear, favor, or discrimination;

    Assist those in peril or distress, and, if necessary, lay down my life rather than swerve from the path of duty;

    My personal conduct shall at all times be above reproach and I will never knowingly commit any act that will in any way bring discredit upon the California Highway Patrol or any member thereof;

    To all of this I do solemnly pledge my sacred honor as an Officer of the California Highway Patrol.
    Best
    Hayden

  37. #37
    Established Member Three Rings Digglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 03 2012
    AZ Member #
    105214
    My Garage
    2013 A5 Prestige S Line 2013 Dodge Durango R/T
    Location
    Southern California

    It's easy and cliche to hate Pigs but I really do.... Especially CHP they are just AAA with guns.


    Sent from a place with a sense of humor....
    | 2013 A5 Prestige S-Line | Phantom Black | H&R Street Performance Coilovers | 20 X 10.5 Incurve IC-S5 / Niche Targa T14s | H&R 5mm Rear Spacer | Full LED Interior | OEM ECodes | Dipped Grill | Matte Black Window Trim | 20% Tint | VAG Mods | UppaBaby Mesa car seat | Handsome Dude driving all the time |

    IG: @digglo
    My Niche Targa Video

  38. #38
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2013
    AZ Member #
    108145
    Location
    CO

    Quote Originally Posted by Digglo View Post
    It's easy and cliche to hate Pigs but I really do.... Especially CHP they are just AAA with guns.


    Sent from a place with a sense of humor....
    You don't hate them for putting bad guys away. They're just like other organizations - they have a few bad apples. Don't hate them all for the few douches.
    2013 Phantom Black Pearl RS5, MMI, Titanium, DA
    PAST: 2011 Lexus IS-F
    PAST: 2010 Infiniti G37x
    PAST: 2009 Subaru Spec B

  39. #39
    Active Member Two Rings Rusty Axle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 26 2013
    AZ Member #
    117907
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5
    Location
    Houston TX

    I certainly wouldn't want their job and the daily risk entailed in pulling over an unknown vehicle day or night. That I have a great deal of respect for. But let's face it - states are strapped for cash and this is a great source of revenue. So if you are speeding and pulled over it sucks, it's legalized extortion. The real biatch is as described in this thread, where an officer fabricates circumstances and costs honest citizens their hard earned dollars or at a minimum the lost personal or work time involved in fighting the BS citation.

    I had a situation years ago where a motorcycle cop walked out into a 5 lane one way street full of cars leaving a stop sign and singled me out for a ticket, 40+ in a 30 mph zone. I knew I wasn't going that fast, and one of the cars in the group actually parked and asked me after if I got a ticket, indicating that he was doing approx 30. So I drove around the block, parked my car and walked around the sidewalk where the motorcycle was parked. The officer was talking with a female 20 feet away so I had a chance to watch the radar readout. It was inconsistent as hell, bouncing all over the place as it interpreted the reflections from cars coming up the road. I made a comment to the officer about the gun's behavior and he indicated that "it reads whatever it wants to" and turned back to the female on the sidewalk. Then a large delivery truck pulled out of a side road from a dead stop and started to enter the road where he had the gun focused. The truck couldn't have been doing more than 5 mph and the gun was flashing 30 mph plus. I pointed this out to the officer which then made him suspicious. He asked me who I was, and I told him "I'm the guy you just wrote a speeding ticket based on a device that is clearly not functioning properly". His response - "tell it to the judge". What a dick. I did nothing wrong, showed him that the gun readout was totally whack. I had to miss work or pay the fine. I paid the fine. Based on that experience, I have had countermeasures installed in every one of my cars ever since, including my current S5 that has a built in Escort 9500ci radar / laser unit.

    My opinion is that most of the force are decent individuals doing what they need to do to make a living and feed their families. But the profession does attract personalities that are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, who primarily get off on the authority trip. It sucks badly when you encounter one of them.

  40. #40
    Veteran Member Four Rings westwest888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    55755
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by u2nelson View Post
    I really don't care if anyone believes me or not, but this is my story and I swear its true. About 3 months ago I got pulled on the NB 14 freeway out side Lancaster. I was in my S5 cruising at 77 in the 70 speed limit divided highway freeway. I'm being passed by plenty of faster cars and its pretty common to see 80-85 out there. Because I was not even close to going a "ticket-able" speed I was not scanning the opposite direction too hard for CHP. Then an all white cruiser shoots radar in my face, whips a center median U turn and pulls me over and claims he had me on radar at 82. I'm sure he had someone on radar at 82 but it wasn't me. I wrote this one off as mistaken identity on his part, he's just doing his job, and mistakes happen. However being the proactive guy that I am, I stealthily installed a 9500xi, hard wired in. My attitude was that shit isn't going to happen again and I need a little more help with the electronic awareness battle.

    Well that brings me to yesterday, almost the exact same place (different officer). The speed limit is 70MPH here, again NB on 14 FWY. This time I receive KA for close to 4 miles that steadily gets stronger. I was just passing the speed limit change from 65-70 when the KA started showing, so I just keep the cruise set at exactly 70 MPH. I eventually come up on the CHP and he is pulled over to the far right with a customer, and I congratulate my self on my purchase of the radar detector and how much warning it gave me. I punch off the cruise control about 2000 feet prior to passing him and SLOWED to 65, 5 under the limit. I then changed lanes from the #2 lane to the #1 lane to give him more room and be polite. As I pass him he pulls out behind me and lights me up. I'm thinking WTF. To my utter amazement he proceeds to tell me he had me on radar at 86 and writes me up for that. He did not see the radar detector or say anything about it if he did. I asked him if he even did a visual estimation of my speed which he replies "Yep, in my rear view mirror" I asked him if he saw me change lanes to give him more room, and he said doesn't matter. He lied right to my face about the visual estimation (or he is really bad at it).

    Now keep in mind the entire time I am going exactly 70 in a 70 with my detector blaring KA, for about 4 miles; I am being passed by faster cars like crazy. I actually wanted to somehow warn them of a CHP up ahead, but could not really do that on the freeway.

    I have now lost all respect for the once "Honorable" CHP. They have become nothing more than lying tax collectors for the broke Peoples Republic of California. I really don't know what else I could have done yesterday to avoid a ticket other than not leave the house. I honestly think this is a case of "That Audi with the distinctive day time running lights deserves a ticket" and the truth does not matter to them.

    I plan to fight both of these tickets, so now I will have a front row seat as to how much justice one can receive in the justice department. I am not too optimistic on that count.

    End rant, thanks for listening.
    You're running the wrong size tire. You went to 265 instead of 255 which is taller. 77 MPH on your dash is about 78 MPH actual. The cops may be overcompensating for the parallax angle at which they shoot in moving radar, adding more speed than necessary. It's also possible their speed and tire diameter are off. Staying in the right lane helps you appear slower to their radar.
    2014 Porsche Boxster, PDK, white, grey two tone interior, radar cruise control, PDLS, white rollbars
    2010 S4, 6MT, REVO 91, APR CPS & intake, AP Racing BBK, Pagid Yellow RS29, Milltek, swaybars, sphericals

    "I'm beginning to think that from a few hundred hours of playing [xbox] I have a better conceptual understanding of how to drive on a track than west" -IanCH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2014 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.