Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 09 2011
    AZ Member #
    79500
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    2006 Audi A6 Adaptive Headlight Error Light

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Good Day All:

    I just copped another Audi A6. (No warranty.)

    I have the warning / error light for Adaptive Headlight Error.

    I have searched the forums.
    Some people have cleared the warning with an upgrade from the dealer.
    Others had to replace the whole unit with new motors and all.

    THe headlight has some hazing and could be refurbished. I would like to resolve this discrepancy the cheapest way possible.

    When I stand in front of the car neither the right nor the left headlights turn in the direction the steering wheel is being turned.

    I hate the warning light and would like to resolve this matter quickly and cheaply.

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Calvin

  2. #2
    Established Member Two Rings Jimingle10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08 2013
    AZ Member #
    114803
    Location
    Manchester NH

    U might need a new light but....

    Mine don't move when car is stationary it has to be moving. Also vcds can test the full movement range. I've gotten the error when playing with vcds. I think it was from only running a partial test because it cleared after running them all

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free

  3. #3
    Established Member Two Rings primea6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17 2008
    AZ Member #
    33129
    My Garage
    2002 A6 2.7T
    Location
    Paramus, NJ

    I would just buy a used headlight housing from ebay. I had the same problem. A used light cant be more than 200 dollars nowadays. That has to be cheaper than the dealer. I think they wanted a thousand, I lol'ed.
    2007 A6 4.2 Full S6 conversion |nav | tech |

  4. #4
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 09 2011
    AZ Member #
    79500
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimingle10 View Post
    U might need a new light but....

    Mine don't move when car is stationary it has to be moving. Also vcds can test the full movement range. I've gotten the error when playing with vcds. I think it was from only running a partial test because it cleared after running them all

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free
    My 09 a6. Adaptive headlights moves and operates when the vehicle is stationary. And in park.

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 09 2011
    AZ Member #
    79500
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by primea6 View Post
    I would just buy a used headlight housing from ebay. I had the same problem. A used light cant be more than 200 dollars nowadays. That has to be cheaper than the dealer. I think they wanted a thousand, I lol'ed.
    Have u replaced ur headlights? Should the new housing come with anything I.e motor

  6. #6
    Established Member Two Rings Jimingle10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08 2013
    AZ Member #
    114803
    Location
    Manchester NH

    I have the mmi update CDs if u need em

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free

  7. #7
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 09 2011
    AZ Member #
    79500
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Hey Jimingle. How much do u want for update cd? Where are you located?
    I will try anything to clear the warning for pennies.

  8. #8
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 27 2013
    AZ Member #
    123926
    Location
    Charlotte, NC

    Mine does that too intermittently, some nights are fine. I think mine only has a problem at a certain turning spot. Last time it did it was when I made a left going up hill.

    Does yours have an error code right away when you start the car?

    I would be interested too if you find a way to clear it or disable it.

  9. #9
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 19 2012
    AZ Member #
    104374
    Location
    Mankato, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by SPONGE View Post
    My 09 a6. Adaptive headlights moves and operates when the vehicle is stationary. And in park.
    Thats because you or someone else turned turned on "demo mode" or whatever they call it that allows it to operate the adaptive lights while parked. It's not something that comes enabled stock with the car but rather its usually enabled at showrooms to demo the functionality. It's very simple to enable/disable with a VagCom.

  10. #10
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 09 2011
    AZ Member #
    79500
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by ibewess View Post
    Mine does that too intermittently, some nights are fine. I think mine only has a problem at a certain turning spot. Last time it did it was when I made a left going up hill.

    Does yours have an error code right away when you start the car?

    I would be interested too if you find a way to clear it or disable it.
    The error comes on right away at each start up.

  11. #11
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2014
    AZ Member #
    137921
    Location
    NYC

    Any resolution to this? Did updating MMI work?

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 19 2008
    AZ Member #
    34358
    Location
    Long Island

    I had the Adapted Hesdlight error and had the dealer replace both units. Problem fixed and the car looks much newer with clean headlight lenses.
    Orig Owner 05 A6 4.2 Night Blue, Platinum Voltera Leather & Wood, Nav, Prem Sound, Sirius, DVD Player, Heated F & R Seats & Steering Wheel, Ski Sack & Headlight Washers, S8 Rims, Adv Key, Solar Sunroof, Power Sunshade, Rear Airbags, Parktronic, Voice Recog, TPMS, Adaptive Headlights, Power Adjust Steering Col, Power Mirrors, H&R Sway Bar, Koni FSD dampers, summer tires Michelin Pilot Super Sport, winter tires Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

  13. #13
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 27 2013
    AZ Member #
    123926
    Location
    Charlotte, NC

    Quote Originally Posted by SPONGE View Post
    The error comes on right away at each start up.
    Well hooray! looks like im in the club now. My intermittent problem became permanent and is now every time I start the car
    When I get an oil change I will see if the dealer can reset or calibrate it and hopefully it will be solved.

  14. #14
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 19 2008
    AZ Member #
    34358
    Location
    Long Island

    Quote Originally Posted by ibewess View Post
    Well hooray! looks like im in the club now. My intermittent problem became permanent and is now every time I start the car
    When I get an oil change I will see if the dealer can reset or calibrate it and hopefully it will be solved.
    The car is nearly 9 years old with a 136k miles and Audi replaced one of mine under warranty so it was completely free. So at least ask if they will replace it instead of a reset. Of course my car did not look right with a new shiny unit next to the 9 year old unit so I had to replace the old one. ;)
    Orig Owner 05 A6 4.2 Night Blue, Platinum Voltera Leather & Wood, Nav, Prem Sound, Sirius, DVD Player, Heated F & R Seats & Steering Wheel, Ski Sack & Headlight Washers, S8 Rims, Adv Key, Solar Sunroof, Power Sunshade, Rear Airbags, Parktronic, Voice Recog, TPMS, Adaptive Headlights, Power Adjust Steering Col, Power Mirrors, H&R Sway Bar, Koni FSD dampers, summer tires Michelin Pilot Super Sport, winter tires Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

  15. #15
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2014
    AZ Member #
    137921
    Location
    NYC

    SO your car was out of warranty but they still replaced one?

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 19 2008
    AZ Member #
    34358
    Location
    Long Island

    Quote Originally Posted by vert310 View Post
    SO your car was out of warranty but they still replaced one?
    That's right. I was years out of warranty. I was shocked when they said it was covered by Audi of America. Audi is a class act.
    Orig Owner 05 A6 4.2 Night Blue, Platinum Voltera Leather & Wood, Nav, Prem Sound, Sirius, DVD Player, Heated F & R Seats & Steering Wheel, Ski Sack & Headlight Washers, S8 Rims, Adv Key, Solar Sunroof, Power Sunshade, Rear Airbags, Parktronic, Voice Recog, TPMS, Adaptive Headlights, Power Adjust Steering Col, Power Mirrors, H&R Sway Bar, Koni FSD dampers, summer tires Michelin Pilot Super Sport, winter tires Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

  17. #17
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 27 2013
    AZ Member #
    123926
    Location
    Charlotte, NC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    The car is nearly 9 years old with a 136k miles and Audi replaced one of mine under warranty so it was completely free. So at least ask if they will replace it instead of a reset. Of course my car did not look right with a new shiny unit next to the 9 year old unit so I had to replace the old one. ;)
    That's awesome i will definitely check with Audi if they can cover it! and as far as matching the lights, Im in luck because for a 9 year old car my headlights are still stock shiny.


  18. #18
    Veteran Member Four Rings Klum00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 27 2006
    AZ Member #
    13703
    Location
    Baltimore, MD

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    That's right. I was years out of warranty. I was shocked when they said it was covered by Audi of America. Audi is a class act.
    This is EXTREMELY surprising. Audi is a class act, but that must have just been your dealership eating the cost. Do you regularly maintain your car with them?
    ~Aaron
    2001.5 S4 - GIAC . H&R . Bilstein . RUFF . AWE . SSAC . Devil's Own . FMIC . Hotchkis . ABT...
    2001 S8 - ST . Stance . JL Audio
    2000 S4 - GIAC . H&R . Bilstein . Volk . Hotchkis
    2006 A6 Avant - Adaptive Air . Stance
    2005 LS430 - HRE . DataSystems Air
    couple of audis
    quattro kings

  19. #19
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 19 2008
    AZ Member #
    34358
    Location
    Long Island

    Quote Originally Posted by Klum00 View Post
    This is EXTREMELY surprising. Audi is a class act, but that must have just been your dealership eating the cost. Do you regularly maintain your car with them?
    I maintain the car with them. AOA picked up the cost of the unit and the dealer picked up the labor.
    Orig Owner 05 A6 4.2 Night Blue, Platinum Voltera Leather & Wood, Nav, Prem Sound, Sirius, DVD Player, Heated F & R Seats & Steering Wheel, Ski Sack & Headlight Washers, S8 Rims, Adv Key, Solar Sunroof, Power Sunshade, Rear Airbags, Parktronic, Voice Recog, TPMS, Adaptive Headlights, Power Adjust Steering Col, Power Mirrors, H&R Sway Bar, Koni FSD dampers, summer tires Michelin Pilot Super Sport, winter tires Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

  20. #20
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 19 2008
    AZ Member #
    34358
    Location
    Long Island

    Quote Originally Posted by ibewess View Post
    That's awesome i will definitely check with Audi if they can cover it! and as far as matching the lights, Im in luck because for a 9 year old car my headlights are still stock shiny.

    G]
    I had thought mine were still stock shiny until the new one was installed. That's when I discovered that I had been looking at my headlights through rose colored glasses. ;)
    Orig Owner 05 A6 4.2 Night Blue, Platinum Voltera Leather & Wood, Nav, Prem Sound, Sirius, DVD Player, Heated F & R Seats & Steering Wheel, Ski Sack & Headlight Washers, S8 Rims, Adv Key, Solar Sunroof, Power Sunshade, Rear Airbags, Parktronic, Voice Recog, TPMS, Adaptive Headlights, Power Adjust Steering Col, Power Mirrors, H&R Sway Bar, Koni FSD dampers, summer tires Michelin Pilot Super Sport, winter tires Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

  21. #21
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 09 2011
    AZ Member #
    79500
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Update: I performed the MMI update and I still have the error.

  22. #22
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 07 2010
    AZ Member #
    57312
    Location
    Southington, CT

    Quote Originally Posted by SPONGE View Post
    My 09 a6. Adaptive headlights moves and operates when the vehicle is stationary. And in park.
    The 2006 will not turn the headlights below 10 km/hr unless you put the car in showroom mode and that mode clears itself when the car is turned off.

  23. #23
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 09 2011
    AZ Member #
    79500
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by ManyAudis View Post
    The 2006 will not turn the headlights below 10 km/hr unless you put the car in showroom mode and that mode clears itself when the car is turned off.
    Thank you however the code still exists. :)

  24. #24
    Active Member Two Rings iamGHANA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 25 2011
    AZ Member #
    77385
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A6 3.0
    Location
    BrooklyN, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by SPONGE View Post
    Good Day All:

    I just copped another Audi A6. (No warranty.)

    I have the warning / error light for Adaptive Headlight Error.

    I have searched the forums.
    Some people have cleared the warning with an upgrade from the dealer.
    Others had to replace the whole unit with new motors and all.

    THe headlight has some hazing and could be refurbished. I would like to resolve this discrepancy the cheapest way possible.

    When I stand in front of the car neither the right nor the left headlights turn in the direction the steering wheel is being turned.

    I hate the warning light and would like to resolve this matter quickly and cheaply.

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Calvin

    i saw the word "copped" looked at your bio and saw your location to be Brooklyn lol



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2014 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.