Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Steering Feels Weird when Wheels are cut ALL the way.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    When my wheels are cut all the way left or right as if I'm driving around in a tight circle with my car the traction feels weird and it feels like the steering is making a slight noise. Maybe it's a quattro thing because it reminds me of the same feeling I got when I used to put my old Jeep cherokee in All wheel drive and tried to make tight circles or cut a super sharp corner. I relax a on the angle of the wheel a little it feels fine again, it's only when the steering wheel is all the way left or right while I'm moving. Normal?

Established Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This is normal on the B6/7. The tires are actually grinding. My understanding is that it has to do with the front differential. This is one thing I love about the B8.5. No more of this stuff. Smooth as butter when making tight turns.
    '13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
    This is normal on the B6/7. The tires are actually grinding. My understanding is that it has to do with the front differential. This is one thing I love about the B8.5. No more of this stuff. Smooth as butter when making tight turns.
    I wonder if I'm doing any damage if I ever have to make a quick fast turn like this?

Established Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Don't worry. I sold my S4 with almost 80k miles and no issues there at all.
    '13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A6 S-line

Thats your quattro. My a6 does it. So do about of other quattros
    C6 A6 4.2 S-Line
    Dipped: Front Grill and rear defuser

Senior Member Four Rings FastEddie's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Its quattro, your doing nothing wrong. i thought the same thing when i first got the car. If you read the manual it actually tells you not to hold it there for more than 15-20 seconds. Dont know why but dont worry about it.

Veteran Member Three Rings blackedoutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4, MK1 TT, Tacoma
    Items for Sale

Mine slightly judders at continuous hard full lock. I also have some power steering pump noise. I keep jacking it up and cycling lock to lock with the cap off and letting the bubbles disperse (overnight) but still everytime I bleed it, there's more bubbles! Filled for 10mm above max line when warm as well, just flushed with new fluid, febi mineral.
    YEAH BUDDY!

Established Member Three Rings MidwestB6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1970 Ford Maverick

I've always heard turning at full lock is hard on the steering system, especially in 4wd vehicles. So I try to avoid turning like that, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue. You're just putting a bit of pressure on the system, while putting a rotational force on the wheels. Think about when you use a swivel extension on a socket wrench; the closer you have the swivel to 90 degrees, the harder is is to turn. Now think of that swivel extension as your cv joints.
    2004 Light Silver 6MT S4

AZ Member #

I hardly need to cut the wheels that much but it's just something I noticed. I figured it was because of quattro but wanted to make sure. At least now I know to try to stay out of those angles as much as possible.

Veteran Member Four Rings dparm's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Center differential binds a bit when the steering is at lock. The owner's manual even mentions that it is normal operation.
    now: 2011.5 BMW M3 sedan ZCP
    past: 2005 Audi S4 sedan, 2011 Audi S4 sedan