Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Audi Allroad 2.7t, 2001 VW TDI Beetle, 2011 BMW R1200 GS

2002 Allroad 2.7 T overheat problem

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi everyone, I have a 2002 2.7T Allroad Tip that keeps over heating after about 20 minutes of driving and there is very little heat as well... I have changed and replaced timing belt, water pump, thermostat, accessory belt all the tensioners, fan controller, passenger side front fan, blue fan controller sensor and the Green coolant sensor filled it up with G13 coolant and started the bleed process
    I have bled out the top 5mm coolant screw and am trying to bleed out the heater core bleed hole.

There are no codes being thrown in VAG COM

At idle nothing comes out the hole, as well nothing comes out at a constant 2500RPM the only way i can get coolant to come is reving the engine randomly above 3000 RPM

As well we tested the old thermostat and it was opening fine.

There is no coolant in the oil, and no oil in the expansion tank...I am at my wits end

Please helppppppp :-)
    Last edited by marcincan; 05-21-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add

Senior Member Three Rings G0to60's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    90 Corrado, 02 allroad

The heater core is the hardest spot to get air out of. Are you sure that you've bled all the air out? When you run the car make sure that both heater hoses are hot. I've never bled the coolant on my allroad but on my other cars I would just run the engine with the coolant cap off. The air is then burped out eventually.

After that I think you've covered everything else.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I ordered a new expansion tank and i will try to bleed out the air as described below and keep my fingers crossed

To purge (bleed) air from the system:
    - Wearing a good set of gloves, after engine has been running and system is warm, carefully and slowly remove the reservoir cap. The system will vent, gurgle, spit, etc. and you will notice the coolant level in the reservoir will drop.

- Top off with 50/50 mixture of coolant, replace cap, start engine and repeat until system is fully purged and coolant level remains full (heat works or engine doesnt over heat).

Be sure to dispose of used coolant properly.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Questionn. I assume you haven't owned this car from new and you just bought it recently? What coolant was in it before, green stuff by any chance?

ASking since green+audi coolant == gel everywhere which would clog the cooling channels. If this happened, you will have to invest in several bottles of cooling system cleaner and spend a day flushing the system repeatedly until you start getting good flow.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Hi all, I replaced the expansion tank and cap then Tried to burp this morning and ended up going through 6 litres of g12 with inconstance results... ie heater blows hot then cools of then blows hot...so i took it for a drive on the highway and it overheated again. it didn't dump any coolant but hit 117C coolant and 120 C oil... Could it be the head gasket ? as i said before there is no coolant in the oil, and no oil in the expansion tank..

Ideas ?

thanks all

Marc

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

if it was head gasket and it would be breached at a cooling channel, which could affect the coolant temp, then you would be spitting coolant everywhere... I am surprised that you didn't actually as regardless if it is head gasket or not, this temp would cause the coolant to boil and be dumped out to lower the pressure of cooling system.

Instead of wasting coolant, run the cleaner.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '93 Nissan 'Silvia'

Also, to ensure that you've bled the system sufficiently you need to pull the top heater core hose off until the pin hole is off of the "barb". Then unbolt your coolant expansion tank and raise it as high as you can until all the air comes out of the upper hose and coolant flows from the pin hole. Then slide the hose back on and clamp it. Also, make sure you're bleeding the front bleeder and rear bleeder(if you have one).

Senior Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant X TWO! and 67' Speed buggy
    Items for Sale

Heater core has nothing to do in general with engine temps- the inconsistant heat is a red herring. It can be completely clogged or bypassed and it won't affect running temps.
    If you've tested the OLD t-stat and you say it's fine-what about NEW t-stat? then you're looking at a malfunction in the system (fans/ controller/wiring?) or something broken (head gasket, water pump, radiator).
    Isolating the one problem could be tough- but I'd start by getting it to start overheating and making sure certain things are working: fans are working at the right time on high speed (might want to jump 12v+ to the fan and see if the engien starts to cool? Sufficient coolant flow ALL the time ?
    You might have to resort to pressure testing the system/ leak down test and look for air getting into the system.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?