Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Whining noise with new fuel pump

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi,

Last month my car(98 A4 1.8T, 250k miles) had a no start condition because of a bad fuel pump. I then replaced it with a new Siemens VDO pump and car is running fine now.

But today after starting the car there was the same whining noise coming from the back side which I used to get in last year when car was running with a bad fuel pump. Fuel was very low in the tank (probably 1 gallon) and I was going to fill the gas when this happened. The whining noise lasted for about some 40 seconds and then went away.

Is this normal?

I know that fuel pump makes a sound when we turn on the ignition, but this was happening after starting the car. Also, I feel that the noise fuel pump makes when turning on the ignition is very loud too...

The fuel filter was last changed 60k miles ago.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I filled the gas tank and no longer hear this whining noise after start. So the noise came yesterday because of low fuel level and pump was trying hard to get fuel to the engine?

Senior Member Two Rings lorge1989's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Don't let your fuel get that low? The pump could be sucking in air with a very low fuel level. The solution seems obvious.
    Daily : 2012 JSW TDI 6MT
    Project : 1988 Audi 90 1.8T 20v, COMP 5858 + MS3X.

Dubs in the Buff!