Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings jr1415us's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Removing intake manifold questions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    OK, I need to pull the intake manifold due to a leaking valley pan gasket, which is covering the front of the motor in oil.

The DIY pages I've looked at say to remove the injectors and rail first-could I just disconnect the fuel line and electrical connections and leave everything in the manifold and remove as one piece?

Will I need new manifold gaskets or can I reuse what's there?

Thanks!
    04 Avant Tip Moro Blue

Apikol snub, H&R RS4 RSB, stainless brake lines, debadged

Veteran Member Four Rings 65vetteC6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I don't think you can get to the manifold bolts with it on. It's really a simple job to remove the fuel rail, 4 bolts and some pulling. Why not do it right just to make sure you don't accidentally damage something? You should order some pointless caps though because I bet you will have a few missing/broken. And you need to replace the intake gaskets.

Also the process of getting the plugs in the front of the engine off is a PITA! You will by doing a little man handling on the manifold at during that.

Established Member Four Rings TarlCabot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 65vetteC6 View Post
    I don't think you can get to the manifold bolts with it on. It's really a simple job to remove the fuel rail, 4 bolts and some pulling. Why not do it right just to make sure you don't accidentally damage something? You should order some pointless caps though because I bet you will have a few missing/broken. And you need to replace the intake gaskets.

Also the process of getting the plugs in the front of the engine off is a PITA! You will by doing a little man handling on the manifold at during that.
    Agreed... do it right cause you not going to save any time trying it another way...

The plugs...

This helped me getting them loose, be very careful those plastic clips and vacuum lines will break

Pain, just to get to this :(

2006 Audi (B7) S4 4.2L 25th Anniversary Special Edition #167, Ported IM, 034 MAF hose, SRP Racing Pedals, 245/35 ZR 19x9.5" ET 25 MRR Catalina's with 5mm Spacers on rear, (B5) Front Spring Perches, Apikol Snub Mount, 034 Trans mount, RS4 H-Sport (Hotchkis) Rear Sway, JHM 93 octane Tune, XS 2.5" 200 cell HFC D/P's. Custom 2.5" true dual Magnaflow Race C/B

Established Member Two Rings jpo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This isn't in any DIYs I've seen but before you pull the manifold try and clean as much dirt and crap as you can from around the edges cause sand and crap will fall into the open valves.
    2004 Moro Blue S4 MT

Established Member Two Rings rave's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It's not necessary to remove the TB say, if you were just to put in some spacers right? I read the one diy where the guy takes it off but I think it's just because he replaced it with a new one?
    Ryan
    2008 A4Quattro 3.2 RIP
    2005 B6 S4
    Magnaflow exhaust, H&R springs, H&R spacers 12F/15R, ITG air filter, Apikol snub, Sonic Tuning cabin/trunk LEDs, Ziza lplate LEDs

Veteran Member Four Rings BCsniper's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 S4 6MT Avant, B6 3.0 Avant 6MT (for sale), C5 A6 2.8
    Items for Sale

my car needed to have its valley pan gasket replaced prior to me buying it, and I have heard of at least one other with the same problem. I'm wondering if it will start occurring to others more frequently or if these are rare occurrences.

To the OP, yes the fuel rail needs to come off. It pops right off, just lift straight up gently, it's probably the easiest part of the job.

The TB can stay attached to the IM unless you are replacing it with the JHM IM & TB.

enjoy being hunched over your engine for awhile.....I know my back aches just thinking of having to pull the IM just to begin replacing the valley an gasket

Senior Member Three Rings jr1415us's Avatar
    AZ Member #

damn, changing the serp belt and snub mount incapacitated me for week. Dreading this one.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Mazda RX8 GT

im getting my JHM intake mani installed soon, this looks like something i should do while its off, where do you get the gasket from, part number?
    B7 Sprint Blue Audi S4
    Few mods here and there

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mgikone69 View Post
    im getting my JHM intake mani installed soon, this looks like something i should do while its off, where do you get the gasket from, part number?
    Love to see another write up on how you find life with the IM. I'm seriously considering this as my next mod... even just for the red wrinkle powder coating, lol.
    Sold: 2006 6MT Saloon. Apikol Snub & 034 Street Trans and Motor Mounts. JHM LW Front Rotors. JHM 91 Tune. Piggies. Milltek non-resonated cat back and JHM IM. Missed already

For sale: Fast Intentions B7 Manual cat-back. 14" resonators, necked to stock DP's.

2009 XF 3.0 S V6D 275BHP, 440lbft. Remapped to 306BHP, 516lbft. - good bye diesel sound
    2009 XFR 5.0 V8 Supercharged