Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings LOUDERPLEASE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Replacing Rotors and Pads

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Mine are due for replacement. Was thinking of DIY like the other chap here but somehow outsourcing the task and drinking beer seems like the winning option at the moment. I get to keep someone in a jerb and get mad hammered drunk.

What's the knowledgable consensus on these ECS/Hawk "performance braking kits"? Crap?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_S4-...Kit/ES2561960/

I'm in Australia - as far as I know buying on line and shipping will still be way cheaper than the raping I'll cop for local/oem parts.

Thanks for the opinions and slanderings in advance

Senior Member Three Rings Perry Bullard's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 Civic SI EBP, 2013 Golf R CSG

Get the JHM light weight rotors and some hawk pads
    05 Silver S4 Sedan - JHM Catless Headers, FI 2.5 Inch Cat Back X-Pipe Non-Res, JHM IM W/ Spacers, JHM LWFW Stg. 4 Clutch, JHM LWCP, JHM 91 Tune, 034 Street Density Motor Mounts, Apikol Snub Mount, Apikol Rear Diff Mount, 034 Zero Gap Snub Mount Bracket, JHM Trio Package (Shifter, Linkage, Bushing), JHM Delrin Shift Knob, Hotchkis RS4 Sway Bar F&R

Veteran Member Four Rings fatbrembos's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 s4 avant/ b6 3.0 a4 avant
    Items for Sale

diy is personally the best way to go. Changing brake pads and rotors is very simple. Just dont forget youll need the piston compression tool. And im not 100% sure about those rotors (seeing as ive never had a set) but the HPS pads ive never had an issue with them. I had them on my 335 and now on my avant and ive always liked them. plus getting hammered is always a good way to go

EDIT: id agree with the post above mine but then again the JHM light weight rotors are 600 bucks just for the front rotors... so unless your looking to spend that much id look for another alternative if you dont like the rotors in the link
    2006 Audi S4 Avant - OEM RS4 Widebody - for sale
    2002 Audi A4 Avant - Supercharged

FS: Volk CE28N's 19x9.5 19x10.5

AZ Member #

Thanks guys - I think I'll get my mech to measure the rears as on closer inspection they look to be pretty new. If that's the case ill throw the extra dosh at the jhm lw's for the fronts. Sweet.

Senior Member Three Rings Brettannica's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by LOUDERPLEASE View Post
    Thanks guys - I think I'll get my mech to measure the rears as on closer inspection they look to be pretty new. If that's the case ill throw the extra dosh at the jhm lw's for the fronts. Sweet.
    Hi Louder, I was looking at this too, but getting the Porsche Cayenne callipers etc and ML rotors up front and ECS units at the rear. Let us know how you get on and I might feed off your success :)

And you’re right… we get gang raped down here. Keeping someone gainfully employed in Julia’s empire while kicking back having a few frothies watching the footy is waaaay more appealing.
    In The Garage: B7 S4: Carbon Fibre: Vis Racing Vented Hood, Relak Skirts, Door Blades, DTM Deck Lip : Paddle Shift Extensions : 034Motorsport Snub & Bracket, JR Air Filter : Matt Gunmetal 19 6RS V10s B8 A4 Avant: BSR Bling : 19 4RS V10s
    Previous Rides: E32 BMW 740i E36 BMW 325i B5 A3S B6 A4 Ford Falcon 351 Triumph TR8 Vauxall Super Tourer Saab 9-3 Saab 9-5 Toyota Prado 4x4

Veteran Member Four Rings BCsniper's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 S4 6MT Avant, B6 3.0 Avant 6MT (for sale), C5 A6 2.8
    Items for Sale

I'm about to be doing this on my fronts, my pad light came on a couple days ago.

I agree with others, the JHM LW rotors would be my first choice but $700 for a pair vs. $125 for Meyle.......I think I'll wait until later to do the upgrade

also, I'm getting the Akebono Euro Ceramic pads after all the good stuff about what others have said about very little noticeable dust and oem performance. Honestly the OEM pads/rotors are fine, the hawks are nothing to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbrembos View Post
    plus getting hammered is always a good way to go
    ...not sure where this came from, but I concur

Veteran Member Four Rings SurferD's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    15 Forester XTT, 03-F150, 03-WRX, 71-240Z
    Items for Sale

Try the dba rotors as a cheaper alternative.
    They aren't lightweight but are from Australia.
    I just put on front and rears using Hawk HPS pads all around.
    Look at my posting on these
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...?highlight=dba
    Last edited by SurferD; 04-16-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    Formerly: 2007 S4 Avant 6MT brilliant black
    JHM parts: 93 octane tune, short shifter, lightweight crank pulley, ported intake manifold/spacers, 4:1 T3 center differential; FastIntentions downpipes/catback; Hotchkis-Sport sways; Apikol poly snub mount; 034 Motorsport zero-gap snub bracket; Apikol poly rear differential mount; dba brake rotors; Cupra R Front Lip; RS4 Black optic grille; Custom fog grilles; Aluminum mirror housings; Carbon fiber interior trim; TSW Nurburgring/Michelin Pilot SS

AZ Member #

@ Brettannica: I dunno if I'll make use of bigger brakes, for the ocasional track day I have planned (from experience with other cars) upgrading the pads fluid and lines might make more sense for me.

@ SurferD: you're correct about the DBA's - I'd forgotten I've used them on a previous car and they where great around $400 a set for fronts, seems like good value.

Senior Member Three Rings 01northernS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Bullard View Post
    Get the JHM light weight rotors and some hawk pads
    I have hawk pads all around and they are great... wheels stay clean as there is very very little dust and they stop as good or better than stock for me.

Veteran Member Three Rings ProgMetalHead's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Brilliant Red S4, 6MT

I am getting JHM lightweight rotors (front only, new OEM in rear), Hawk HPS pads, 034 upper control arms, and 034 strut bushings installed with an alignment on Wednesday. I can't wait...especially because my brakes are pretty much done right now.
    I'll finally get to see if those JHM rotors really make a difference like a suspect they will... plus they're pretty damn sexy.
    '07 Brilliant Red S4, 6MT

| FI DPs w/cats | FI CB w/18" Vibrant Res'| JHM Tune w/94 Octane | JHM LWCP | Optima Redtop (31.7lbs) |
    | JHM LW Front Rotors | Hawk HPS Pads |
    | Koni Yellows w/H&R Sports | 034 Adj. Upper Control Arms | 034 Strut Mounts | Hotchkis Adj. RSB (29mm) w/Stern Adj. End Links |
    | 19" VMR V708s (Silver) w/P Zero Neros | JHM SS | Apikol Snub Mount | Apikol Rear Diff. Mount | 034 Trans. Mount | RS4 Pedals | 30% Tint | VAG'd 'n' Debadged! |

Registered Member Four Rings B6JoeS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Terminator Cobra

Hawk pads are garbage. The HPS aren't linear, suck when they get hot, and squeel if you don't re-bed them every so often. The PC are scary if you decide you want to stop in the rain or when the brakes are cold.

Akebono Euro pads are outstanding. I had both the HPS and the Akebonos and the Akebono are literally perfect. Great initial bite, no dust, and they can handle a hell of a lot more heat than the over-rated Hawks can

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by B6JoeS4 View Post
    Hawk pads are garbage. The HPS aren't linear, suck when they get hot, and squeel if you don't re-bed them every so often. The PC are scary if you decide you want to stop in the rain or when the brakes are cold.

Akebono Euro pads are outstanding. I had both the HPS and the Akebonos and the Akebono are literally perfect. Great initial bite, no dust, and they can handle a hell of a lot more heat than the over-rated Hawks can
    I read contradicting things about all pads, so I just went with what JHM had and put them in my cart.
    I'm not too concerned.

| FI DPs w/cats | FI CB w/18" Vibrant Res'| JHM Tune w/94 Octane | JHM LWCP | Optima Redtop (31.7lbs) |
    | Koni Yellows w/H&R Sports | 034 Adj. Upper Control Arms | 034 Strut Mounts | Hotchkis Adj. RSB (29mm) w/Stern Adj. End Links |
    | 19" VMR V708s (Silver) w/P Zero Neros | JHM SS | Apikol Snub Mount | Apikol Rear Diff. Mount | 034 Trans. Mount | RS4 Pedals | 30% Tint | VAG'd 'n' Debadged! |

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Re: Replacing Rotors and Pads

Adams rotors bbk ftw!!!! Plus I'm running aekebonos now and they're great. Taxes forever to see the break dust and ththey have just the right amount of bite
    2007 Red A4 - F23L Frankenturbo, Unitronic stage 2+, S3 Injectors, KMD HPFP, AWE quad tip exhaust, non resonated, no cats, and RAI down pipe, Apikol snub mount, 034 Motor mounts, 034 Catch Can, 034 Silicone Boost hoses, 034 Adjustable lower rear control arms, SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms JHM Solid throw shifter, Carbonio intake, Drakes Stg5 clutch & PP, CM SMFW, H&R Coilovers, 18x9.5 3sdm .06's, AppRadio3, Fly300kt LED Halogens with CC Mod.

~ Matt ~
    Insta: @yargsthepirate

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Anything will be an improvement over my stock rotors (100k kms), and my completely worn OEM pads (don't know when they were changed last)
    It's going to feel like a brand new car!

Veteran Member Four Rings dparm's Avatar
    AZ Member #

OP: unless you are looking to spend big money, or are tracking the car, I would just get a set of OEM blank rotors and maybe a more aggressive pad and just call it a day. Ferodo DS2500 or Akebono Euro should be fine for street driving -- should improve stopping without breaking the bank or chewing rotors up (or being too loud).
    now: 2011.5 BMW M3 sedan ZCP
    past: 2005 Audi S4 sedan, 2011 Audi S4 sedan

Veteran Member Four Rings BCsniper's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 S4 6MT Avant, B6 3.0 Avant 6MT (for sale), C5 A6 2.8
    Items for Sale

^^
    exactly what I did