Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Mtr24's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Help! Screw in my tire sidewall

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,
    I recently noticed a screw in the side wall of my front left tire. Its right on the border of the tread and the sidewall so I'm kinda of screwed (pun somewhat intended). I've been saving up for new summer 19" wheels and tires and I plan on new 18" wheels and tires for next winter, so I plan on selling my current set soon. (though I don't know who would buy 17" 10-spokes). The current tires are P Zero all seasons with 20k on them so replacing one tire at $200 for a set I'm not really attached to seems pointless and wasteful. I'm wondering if it would be too risky to patch the tire and just baby the car to and from work (14 miles total) for the next week and a half - two weeks while I wait for my VMR's? Can I just run the spare for two weeks or is that risky? (not to mention ugly). Or should I just suck it up and play it safe with a new tire? I just would rather not have a brand new tire and 3 relatively worn tires when it comes time to sell. I've gone to two shops and both have said no to patching it. I'm not sure if they were covering their own butts in the event that it blows in a couple hundred/ thousand miles but I wonder if a patch would work for a couple weeks of light driving. The tire is currently holding air so could I even drive it lightly with the screw in there? Its a pretty stupid idea but I figured I'd throw it out there . Is there an option I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]

2009 Ibis White A4: 20% Tint - APR Stage 2+ - Eurocode Rotamass LW Crank Pulley - SPM HFC & Downpipe - AWE Quad Tip Catback Exhaust w/ Black Diamond Tips - ST Coilovers - Gloss Black RS Style Grille - VMR v718's 19x9.5 ET45 - 5mm Spacers - J-Codes

Established Member Two Rings Warren S's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    is a portal to another dimension...

I'm assuming there's no warranty (left) on that tire. So, how about getting a used tire just to get you through until your new set arrives? It doesn't have to be the same brand, just the same size and type. Are there any tire shops near your area that resells half worn tires (typically from 5 to 7/32" tread) for cheap? Search for used tires in your area or maybe look up on eBay.
    2011 A4 Avant: S-line, Prestige, Monza silver, side assist, Ventureshield clear bra, 3M tint 50% all sides and 35% back window.
    2008 Passat 3.6 VR6 4motion AWD, BBS, PS2's, "suitcase" resonator delete & Magnaflows.
    '97 F150 Supercab Flareside 4X4 off-road, tow pkg & ltd-slip diff.
    '81 Yamaha IT465, rare single year color white & yellow, 2-stroke enduro bike.

Past: Gen-2 Viper GTS & C5 Z06.

Veteran Member Four Rings EErie B6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

don't patch it, its doubtful you can even pay a shop to do it... and it probably won't hold.

Plug it. autozone sells a tire plug kit for cheap. watch a couple youtube videos on how to plug a tire and ur golden.

take it easy for the next two weeks, be vigilant on the condition of the tire and you will be fine.
    -John

I don't always have a signature, but when I do, it goes here.

Established Member Two Rings Mtr24's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'll shop around for some used tires and use the plug as a last resort. On the bright side this has pretty much forces me to order some v718's sooner than planned. Tax return FTW!
    2009 Ibis White A4: 20% Tint - APR Stage 2+ - Eurocode Rotamass LW Crank Pulley - SPM HFC & Downpipe - AWE Quad Tip Catback Exhaust w/ Black Diamond Tips - ST Coilovers - Gloss Black RS Style Grille - VMR v718's 19x9.5 ET45 - 5mm Spacers - J-Codes

Established Member Two Rings Ijiin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'd say find a shop that's willing to plug that. i recently had mine plugged on almost the very same spot as you have. and there should honestly not be a problem driving with that tire after it's plugged.
    and i suggest you don't drive with that nail in the car. suddenly you start loosing air and the tire goes hot and poof you have a lot more expenses.
    2009 8K Aruba Blue A4 2.0 TDI - Rs6-II 235/35/19" Summer - Y-spoke 225/40/19" Winter - HR OE - BSR Stage 1 - Chrome pack - Sports interior

Senior Member Four Rings Liquid Smoke's Avatar
    AZ Member #

yup dont drive on it, yea it holds air now but wait till you hit one pothole and that screw might just pop. just get it plugged its not a big deal, will be fine to drive on and just as good, i had mine plugged from a screw right in the middle a few months ago and its fine.
    2009 A4 2.0T Prem+ / Matte Volcano Red (Dip) [thread] /
    19" S4 Peelers / Solo-Werks Coilovers / Red Black Interior [thread]

Established Member Two Rings zero|fade's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Plug kits are cheap, no reason not to keep one around. I've plugged three or four tires, never had a problem. Most recent is my GMC Savanna, I've got around 15 000km on that plug so far.