Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings ENDEE666's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A6 2.7T 6MT Modded. Allroad 2.7T 6MT.

Random sudden no start issue. I checked the basics...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I have not used the A6 much lately. Using my work car more. The other day, I had to work on my other car, so I juggled cars in the driveway a bit. At which time it started right up as normal. I have had a separate issue of a misfire when cold, but I don't think that has any relation to this. But that fact does tie in with part of the description.. Here is what happened & what I have tried so far:

• Started right up to move cars, left it running while I pulled the other one in. Parked behind that one & shut it off. It had ran for about 5 minutes and seemed "normal".
    • Once I was done, I went to start the A6. It started in normal amount of cranks, but idled rougher than normal cold misfire issue.
    • I tapped the gas to try to smooth out the idle, it stubmled & stalled out. Only ran for about 10-15 seconds total.
    • It would not restart at all. It cranked & cranked until the battery (1 month old) went low.
    • I hooked it up to jumper cables off the other car & kept cranking. Would not turn over. Tried for a while.
    • Next day, a friend and I started trouble shooting. Unplugged MAF, still no start.
    • Disconnected fuel feed line and put it in a bottle, cranked it, fuel went into the bottle steadily.
    • Pulled out 1 coil pack per side, put a spare plug in it, grounded it to valve cover, and both banks have spark.
    • Swapped Cam Position Sensor with one from my spare heads on passenger side (drivers is a PITA to get to) and no difference still.
    • No relevant codes in Vag Com, just the normal Cyl 5 random misfire code I get for a long time now.

Sooooooo I'm at a loss here... I have fuel, I have spark & I have compression... All the basics & all the troubleshooting I found in searches. And all of this is totally out of the blue, I had not even driven the car, just moved it, and it worked then. WTF?
    01 A6 2.7T, blk/blk, 6MT, SSP Tuned!, 3,996 lbs w/ me, full weight, street tires, 29+lb wheels.
    Ran an 11.8 @ 119 at MIR - Sept 2008. FIRST A6 IN THE 11's!
    Also 04 Touareg 4.2 89k with 22x10s

Veteran Member Three Rings Audi_Tech's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 S6 Avant, 85 MR2, 14 Accord Sport, 02 ZX12
    Items for Sale

Check your spark plugs to see if they're fuel fouled from all the cranking. Try cleaning with brake clean and squirting some oil in the cylinders then spinning the motor over without plugs to try and re-coat the cylinder walls with oil. Let me know if this helps.

Forum Moderator Four Rings Gumby's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 allroad, 01.5 A4 TQM, 06 Triumph Daytona 675, 14' Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    Items for Sale

Crank sensor?
    Coolant temp sensor?
    -Matt-
    B5 S4, B5 A4 Moderator

2001 static, 6mt swapped, stage 3 allroad on a diet
    2871r'd 2001 A4 1.8t - daily/race car Build thread

You may think I'm not online. But I'm always here. Even if I'm not posting. I'm always here. Scrolling. Judging.

Forum Moderator Four Rings Daft's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stg 3 '04 A6 2.7T, '04 A4 3.0Q

Nick,

Makes me wonder if your ECU is going bad with all the strange EFI issues you've had. Also makes me wonder if it's immobilizer somehow blocking the operation of the engine. I know if ran just before that but, this is how electronics get over time. This is where some basic electronics test gear will probably find the answer.
    Brett - Moderator
    Issue?: email me.

Veteran Member Four Rings khalimadeath's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 S6 Avant, 70 VW Bus

i had a similar problem with my S6. I started it with the pedal floored and it fixed it self. Worth a shot if u havent tried that.
    -Zach-

The C5 Union////////////

The United States Constitution
    (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Going to ckeck condition of the plugs and check the crank sensor..

Questions about immobilizer- What does it disable? I have fuel & spark, I would think one of those would be what gets immobilized. Also, I read that immobilizer will allow the car to start normal, then die. That doesn't happen..
    01 A6 2.7T, blk/blk, 6MT, SSP Tuned!, 3,996 lbs w/ me, full weight, street tires, 29+lb wheels.

Veteran Member Three Rings cdn20valve's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 Avant

I second the Crank sensor.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ENDEE666 View Post

Questions about immobilizer- What does it disable? I have fuel & spark, I would think one of those would be what gets immobilized. Also, I read that immobilizer will allow the car to start normal, then die. That doesn't happen..
    You're right. The immobilizer allows the car to start and run for just a second or two - then dies.

Veteran Member Four Rings audifirst's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6 Avant, VW Golf TDI
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ENDEE666 View Post

Immobilizer would shut down car in two seconds, the immo only disables the car from starting but at that moment you should see icon "car with key" blinking on tachometer side non stop until you remove the key from ignition
    but you would get error codes registered in Instrument Cluster linking to immo activated bla bla no communicating ..
    Difference in Audi B5 A4 Clusters Click Here
    Difference in Audi C5 A6 Clusters Click Here
    Replace ABS module in A6 Click Here
    DIY-Rear-Differential-Seal-replacement in A6 Click Here

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Installed new crank position sensor. It did the same thing. Started once, reluctantly. Then idled very rough. Then died and back to just cranking... Took out a plug and it wasn't fouled, but was a bit wet with fuel. To be expected since its not starting, I am sure its flooding. I waited a day or so for it to dry out, and next attempt it did the same scenario...

Lost and really hate this car sometimes........

AZ Member #
    My Garage

More updates, still no luck. I definitely have fuel. Seems to have spark, but either not strong enough or not timed right. Tried the following, either new or off a friends running car:
    ICM's
    Cam position sensors (both)
    MAF
    Crank Position Sensor (new)
    Coolant Temp Sensor (new)

Took all 6 plugs out today, and they are now fouled and wet with fuel. So I am going to change them out. I am pretty confident that that is a result of this problem, not the cause of it..

Veteran Member Four Rings NickyAsixx3sixx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I gotta come by and brainstorm with you
    2001 A6 2.7T - EPL TUNED, Bright Blue Metallic Vinyl Wrapped, ST coilovers, Miro 111s 19x9.5s all around on 225 tires, 3" SRM downpipes, AEM Meth kit, Magnaflow mufflers, JHM LWFW, JHM Stage3 clutch, B7 RS4 PP, SRM bipipes, JHM Solid linkage

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I second coolant temp sensor.
    6 Speed--EPL--034--SPEC--ER--AquaMist--Forge--RS4--RS6--K04 --RNS-E--DTS--PSS9's
    SOLD

Greg
    C5UNION

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant X TWO! and 67' Speed buggy
    Items for Sale

Unplug the MAF and coolant temp sensor one at a time. It should go into limp mode/ basic setting enough to just run. If that doesn't do it then you have an actual physical problem that can't be compensated by the ECU I'd think~ like fuel pressure reg or something?
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Already changed the coolant temp sensor out for a new one. Changed nothing. Also tried unplugging the maf. Still didn't change.

Veteran Member Four Rings audifirst's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6 Avant, VW Golf TDI
    Items for Sale

Do you have chip installed into ECU ?
    I recall read somewhere about similar symptoms and turned out to be the chip lose in ECU motherboard
    but I do not know if you have chip tuning done to yours
    Difference in Audi B5 A4 Clusters Click Here
    Difference in Audi C5 A6 Clusters Click Here
    Replace ABS module in A6 Click Here
    DIY-Rear-Differential-Seal-replacement in A6 Click Here

Senior Member Three Rings JakAzz425's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S80 Volvo, 1974 260Z Datsun
    Items for Sale

Random sudden no start issue. I checked the basics...

Might be a longshot but fouled up injectors? How long was it sitting before you drove it? Im having a similar problem with a vehicle I'm working on (not an Audi). And I've got the same symptoms, replaced almost everything all the way down to EGR valve. Got spark, got fuel, will start and die on ether but won't start on fuel. All that's left really is rails/injectors. Kinda a pita but the spray might be off due to gummed up injectors

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Oh, left that out, also tried another ECU.

Ran a scope camera in through each spark plug hole. Pistons do not have any damage and all were wet. So the injectors are definitely spraying..

Senior Member Three Rings JakAzz425's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S80 Volvo, 1974 260Z Datsun
    Items for Sale

will it Start off of starting fluid through the throttle body?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I have never tried that stuff on any car, but at this point I will try anything. I guess I could pick some up and try.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Mine cranks and won't start, either!
    I hope you don't mind me jumping on board to this thread, I figure it spares the rest of the forum and might help others to have info consolidated.

1998 A6 Avant Quattro 2.8L 12v SOHC AFC engine but this is actually the last of the C4 chassis.
    I just did head gaskets and timing belt but now it only cranks but does not start.
    Any helpful hints?
    No DTC error codes either, but the battery was out for a long time.

Yes I used the cam timing tool and the crank lock pin for TDC. In my case the timing marks align for cylinder #3 (passenger rear) on 2.8 V6 12 valve, which is weird since some manuals and DIY mention #1, but it's not.

It got fresh gasoline. Fuel pressure fine at 55psi while cranking, then holds steady at above 35psi (no leak). Audi does not provide a shrader valve on the fuel rail so I used my own gauge on an adapter with extra hose and fittings to screw in between the supply line (near the brake reservoir driver side) and the rail (not the regulator side). Fuel pump relay works (located inside under the knee pad cover below steering wheel) slot #6 on the far right side, clicks with key on, then clicks again while cranking to power pump. I took the plastic cover off the relay so I could manually power the pump with key on to confirm pressure reading. Others have a way to jumper or bypass the relay to test it...

Start fluid did not work either (into the plastic plenum after the MAF). I checked the air filter is fine. even tried cranking with air box open just to see, nope.

Spark plugs out confirm there is fuel delivery, and yes there is spark. It was odd to see spark twice a cam turn but learned that V6 engines with dual plugged coils fire both cylinders each time so it wastes spark on the exhaust cycle. I may need to replace my plugs just to rule that out, but the old ones are indeed sparking.

Crank speed sensor seems to work, as I plugged in VAGCOM and selected a measuring block that detects RPM and it seemed to be correct while I cranked it.
    Cam sensor must be working, or it wouldn't spark at all, correct?
    If I find the measuring block for that, I'll test it just to be sure. The shop that surfaced the heads may have messed with it...
    Just to check the crank sensor (located on side of block, low on drivers side, wire plugs in on passenger side up on fire-wall second from the right, mine was black wire with white plug, others might be grey) when unplugged it still cranks but sounds flat and sure enough triggered a DTC error code 16706 fault Engine Speed Sensor (G28) P0322, so I cleared the code and plugged it back in. Then I noticed that it actually sounds different cranking with engine sensor connected, with a very subtle pop stumble like it wants to fire but doesn't. Is that a clue?

I might try the unplug MAF and coolant temp sensors like suggested above, just to see if it starts...
    Help!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Was this ever resolved? What was the culprit, and how did you find out? Posting the solution to an issue thread is hugely helpful for other users, and will spare the forums for many same/similar-issue threads.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pr0xzen View Post
    Was this ever resolved? What was the culprit, and how did you find out? Posting the solution to an issue thread is hugely helpful for other users, and will spare the forums for many same/similar-issue threads.

I am curious as well. I am having the exact same problem with a 2.7t a6.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mbagge01 View Post
    I am curious as well. I am having the exact same problem with a 2.7t a6.
    In my case, it was a busted EVAP purge valve. It had some slight carbonbust buildup, but it wasn't clogged. After opening it and taking it apart, it turned out that the thin copper shim that makes the switch operate, had several breaks in it, causing intermittent function. In my case I was able to solder the breaks and glue the unit back together, so the ~$100 purge valve lives to fight another day.

If you venture this, there is a fine-mesh steel screen in one of the ports, soak but don't poke - and be careful when bending the tabs to dismantle the internal switch - no further than necessary.

EDIT: Don't know why the image won't work. Here's the imgur link: http://imgur.com/a/saYP7

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Same issue

Can we get this post resoved it would truly help! I am having a similar problem..
    I drive a 2002 2.7t bi-turbo C5 A6 Quattro

Current issue:
    Cranks but will not start

Background on car:
    I bought this A6 from an older man, he knew the gas tank was an issue so I got this car for cheap. Although he was selling it due to him not using it, thus it was sitting for 3 years.

Background on issue:
    I was driving to work, right off the high way I enter onto the road and into the parking lot with speed bumps. Soon the car stalls and died, I got the car to stop after coasting for a little. I tried starting it in Park, it started right back up, and I made it to a parking spot and it stalled out again. I got it towed home with the same issue after letting it sit for 10 hours while at work.

Previous issues:
    misfires
    broken Evap Nosel on gas tank
    02 sensors
    * I fixed these problems by plastic welding and replacing coils and spark plugs

Current codes:

Recently replaced after issue:
    2.0t coil conversion
    iridium NgK plugs
    Gates timing belt
    Fuel Pump
    Fuel Filter
    coolant flush
    crank case breather hose