Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Four Rings RickFLS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

2013 S4 with EPC light + do not exceed max engine speed of 4,000 RPM

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've had my 2013 S4 exactly 6 mos today, during which I have put on just over 12,500 miles. 80% highway driving - spirited but never pushed to the limit. No mods. Never taken to the track. I get just under 23 MPG overall so that should give an indication that I don't race stoplight to stoplight on a regular basis. I always use Shell or Chevron gas. Oil level is fine and engine temp was normal. Overall, I think I am easy on my S4 compared to a typical S4 owner.

The car ran fine this morning all the way to Miami (75 miles). When leaving Miami I got the message / light so I drove @ about 2,000 RPM all the way back to PB County and dropped the car off at the dealer. No other signs of a problem - the car ran and sounded fine. Surely it will be covered by warranty but I was wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue on a 2013 yet. I should get diagnosis tomorrow.
    2013 S4 Prestige, Ibis White, Black Nappa, DSG, sport diff, adaptive damping, 19", stainless mesh, Xpel paint protection, window tint
    Past: 2011 A6 3.0T Prestige (accident victim), 2008 Lexus LS-460, 1998 Lexus GS-300, 1994 Lexus ES-300, various GM/Ford/Chrysler cars prior to 1994

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    240 sx (race car brah), 1199s panigale, R6 (race bike) crx( commuter)

Even if you go to the track or race from stop light to stop light it should be covered under warranty. Unless I missed the fine print saying that you have to drive your car like a grandma in order to keep your warranty valid.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

I wasn't trying to connect warranty coverage to driving style, just trying to provide information to preemptively answer potential questions someone might ask when seeing the problem. Unless there is a mod causing the problem (which there isn't in this case) the problem should be covered by warranty regardless of driving style.

I also don't think failure to go to the track or race stoplight to stoplight qualify as driving like grandma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 S4 Prestige, Ibis White, Black Nappa, DSG, sport diff, adaptive damping, 19", stainless mesh, Xpel paint protection, window tint
    Past: 2011 A6 3.0T Prestige (accident victim), 2008 Lexus LS-460, 1998 Lexus GS-300, 1994 Lexus ES-300, various GM/Ford/Chrysler cars prior to 1994

Veteran Member Three Rings PitchS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I wouldn't worry too much it sounds like a flaky sensor probably an easy fix.
    -Mike

Current
    2010 S4 Meteor Gray 6MT | Prestige | Sport-Diff | AWE Res Exhaust | OE Springs | Alu Kreuz | Flat-Bottom | Custom Intake
    Previous
    B6 S4 - Full Exhaust, JHM Tune, StopTechs, PSS9s
    B5 S4 - VAST Custom Tuned Stage 3

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

That's what I'm hoping. The car ran fine - never seemed like it was misfiring or anything like that. I drove it about 75 miles @ 65 mph with no issues. I'll post whatever I find out tomorrow.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

This exact thing used to happen with my 2010 S5cab. Usually on cold days if I gave it a little too much gas too fast after starting it up. If u had turned it off and back on again I bet it would have gone away. Just an electrical glitch and nothing to worry about but see what the dealer says.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    GM trucks/vans(OBAMA motors)polaris 4 wheeler,urinal,dart board,wash bay

Quote Originally Posted by RickFLS4 View Post
    That's what I'm hoping. The car ran fine - never seemed like it was misfiring or anything like that. I drove it about 75 miles @ 65 mph with no issues. I'll post whatever I find out tomorrow.
    Sweet Jesus Rick! I have issues keeping my S4 to 65 in the city!!

12.5K.... Nice mileage log! Hows your steering rack so far? any issues?

PB.
    "I CANT SPECIFY BLONDE ENOUGH" 2013 S4. 6MT,Monsoon.Sport diff.SS texture trims.Awe catback|Eurocode STS|AluKreuz|sways/links|3m crystaline windshield tint 70%crystaline/sides&rear pinnacle 35%ceramic|HR O.E.springs(Garbage)|Tyrol Caliper Sliders|SS Lines|S-Flo intake|Clear bra|Vag Com Mods.
    Liscense plate delete/...and some other shit im forgetting.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

So far I have not noticed steering issues, other than the feel not being great as many people have noted. I don't have Dynamic Steering and there was a service bulletin addressed when I brought my car in for 5K miles, but I don't think it was related to the steering issue I found in some S5 posts. I took I-95 instead of the Turnpike to make sure I had some obstacles to slow me down (and be closer to a dealer if something else happened and I didn't make it).

Stuff like this is always going to come up. It is just surprising when it does (so soon), weather yesterday couldn't have been much better in South Florida if weather can be an issue (sorry if anyone reading this lives in the Northeast) and I had already been driving for about 5-10 minutes when it happened.

Senior Member Three Rings Pgr1990's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Harley Davidson Nightster 1200 (Stage 1)

Re: 2013 S4 with EPC light + do not exceed max engine speed of 4,000 RPM

Quote Originally Posted by kayir View Post
    This exact thing used to happen with my 2010 S5cab. Usually on cold days if I gave it a little too much gas too fast after starting it up. If u had turned it off and back on again I bet it would have gone away. Just an electrical glitch and nothing to worry about but see what the dealer says.

When my cats melted I turned my car off waited 5 minutes for it to reset and on again thinking it was a glitch but I had to do it like 4 times just to make it home due to the EPC light and limp mode reoccurring. At least the OP is covered under warranty I hope it doesn't take Audi over a month to figure out the problem like it did with me just throwing parts at it until its fixed following "protocol".
    2012 Audi S4. Premium Plus, S tronic, Nav, B&O, Carbon Fiber Inlays, Silk nappa, rear diff., 19" wheels, Phantom Black Pearl, APR Carbonio stg 2, APR High Boost Pulley, 034 motorsports test pipes and APR Stage 2+ V2 Tune (93).

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

Just heard back. Oil pressure switch and I should have car back tomorrow.

Established Member Two Rings Steamer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Rick - My car (2013 S4 7,000 miles) is in the shop for the same warnings. Dealer had it for four days and after replacing the starter (not the problem) the coil pack (not the problem) they discovered a loose wire that whenever engine power was applied (stepping on gas pedal) it "stretched" or moved just enough to cause the issue.
    2013 S4 | Estoril Blue | Prem+ | S Tronic | Sports Diff | GIAC/AWE Stage II with DSG Tune | Roc-Euro Intake | AWE Full Exhaust (resonated) | OE Sport Springs | USS Sway Bars & End Links | Alu Kreuz | 19" Gunmetal Forgestar CF10 ET42 | SC Badges | RS4 style grill in the box |

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Rick - My car (2013 S4 7,000 miles) is in the shop for the same warnings. Dealer had it for four days and after replacing the starter (not the problem) the coil pack (not the problem) they discovered a loose wire that whenever engine power was applied (stepping on gas pedal) it "stretched" or moved just enough to cause the issue.
    Interesting... Sounds like you drive a fair amount too. I was accelerating in Dynamic when it happened.

I'll post again tomorrow after I get the car or the call it isn't the switch. Thanks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

I got the car back and it seemed fine on 30 min ride home. The F22 oil pressure switch had an electricity short that caused the EPC light to come on, so they replaced the oil switch and cleared all faults to resolve. Nothing major. Happy again.

Veteran Member Four Rings Ynnekdude's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RickFLS4 View Post
    I got the car back and it seemed fine on 30 min ride home. The F22 oil pressure switch had an electricity short that caused the EPC light to come on, so they replaced the oil switch and cleared all faults to resolve. Nothing major. Happy again.

Glad it worked out.

My EPC story: During a 6 hour drive to Missouri, exited on an off-ramp and brakes barely worked. Almost went through the intersection but fortunately the calipers grabbed up in time. I pulled over, inspected the brakes and everything looked normal. I drove another two hours cautiously. Two miles from my destination, EPC warning. I arrive, park my car, open hood and see oil everywhere. Oil warning then comes on. Call Audi Roadside and they tow my car two hours to St. Louis.

I get a call from a dealer the following day and it turns out my oil filter (that had been changed two days before the trip at my local Audi dealership) was either (1) incorrectly installed or (2) defective. Oil had been seeping out during my drive, coating the engine, brake rotors, and undercarriage. The EPC went off because all of the sensors failed when oil soaked over them. Car got fixed, cleaned up, and I had to bum a ride two hours to St. Louis to pick it up... (Audi towed it back when my water pump failed a month earlier).

Glad yours wasn't something as dire. Goes to show that something so seemingly insignificant such as a simple oil filter installation/defect can end up perilous with one's car almost blowing through an intersection.
    2011 Q5 3.2 Prestige. Meteor Gray.
    2009 A6 3.0T Sedan w/19" Sport Pkg. Phantom Black.
    APR 93 Stage II+. STaSIS Exhaust. SST Intake. Stoptech ST-60. KW V1s. H&R Sways
    V1 Hardwired. LI-Dual. 18" VMR 708s w/Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s (Winter)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

That is an awful story. I don't think I would have made the drive I did if I heard it before it happened. Wow. Sorry to hear that one.

Senior Member Three Rings B8 S FOR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Man...don't baby you S4 ..probably part of the problem. Drive the hell out of it and it will last longer!
    AUDI 4 LIFE.........S5 Cab Prestige/ Mythos Blk Met, Carbon inlays, B&O Stereo, Air Cond Vented Seats, Hardwired V1...yada yada yada. . . . .

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota 4Runner

I have the same exact problem with my 2012 A7 (do not exceed 4000 rpm). I took it to the dealer, they replaced the oil pressure switch and noted an electrical fault, just like Rick. However, just a day later, the same error came back. I'm taking the car back on Monday, will let you guys know what happened. Meanwhile, anyone have any suggestions about this?
    Last edited by fusQer; 06-22-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Established Member Two Rings Rich4114's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just started getting this exact same message. Shutting the car off and turning it back on makes it go away, but it seems to keep coming back. I'll have it in the dealer in a few days.
    Current
    -------------
    | MY 2013 S4 | Premium Plus | Estoril Blue | 6spd manual | Sport Differential | NAV | B&O | Black/Magma Fine Nappa | Audi Advanced Key | Carbon Atlas | 19" Wheels |

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ynnekdude View Post
    Glad it worked out.

My EPC story: During a 6 hour drive to Missouri, exited on an off-ramp and brakes barely worked. Almost went through the intersection but fortunately the calipers grabbed up in time. I pulled over, inspected the brakes and everything looked normal. I drove another two hours cautiously. Two miles from my destination, EPC warning. I arrive, park my car, open hood and see oil everywhere. Oil warning then comes on. Call Audi Roadside and they tow my car two hours to St. Louis.

I get a call from a dealer the following day and it turns out my oil filter (that had been changed two days before the trip at my local Audi dealership) was either (1) incorrectly installed or (2) defective. Oil had been seeping out during my drive, coating the engine, brake rotors, and undercarriage. The EPC went off because all of the sensors failed when oil soaked over them. Car got fixed, cleaned up, and I had to bum a ride two hours to St. Louis to pick it up... (Audi towed it back when my water pump failed a month earlier).

Glad yours wasn't something as dire. Goes to show that something so seemingly insignificant such as a simple oil filter installation/defect can end up perilous with one's car almost blowing through an intersection.
    Sorry to dig up this old post, but the oil filter wasn't your problem. The mechanic who did the work was. The filter housing wasn't tightened down properly or got cross-threaded and never was on right. There's also two seals that must be changed on it and it's very easy not to tighten that thing up right if you rush it. Please always make it a habit that if you take your car to a dealer to have your oil changed, you open the hood and inspect the work when you pick it up. Don't trust that they did the work right. Feel and make sure the canister is tightened up correctly. I would highly recommend maybe doing your own oil changes to keep this from happening. It's a shame that we can't even trust dealerships to do the work right anymore.

AZ Member #

Has anyone completely fixed this problem? I just picked my car up from Audi for the second time and they can't fix it. First they replaced the oil sensor switch. This time they replaced a solonoid on the block. As soon as I drive it somewhat hard (like accelerating onto a highway) the EPC do not exceed 4000 RPMs warning comes back on. I took it back to Knopf Audi in Allentown, PA and I expect them to figure out what the hell the problem is. So frustrating!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 S4 Stronic

Quote Originally Posted by Rich4114 View Post
    Has anyone completely fixed this problem? I just picked my car up from Audi for the second time and they can't fix it. First they replaced the oil sensor switch. This time they replaced a solonoid on the block. As soon as I drive it somewhat hard (like accelerating onto a highway) the EPC do not exceed 4000 RPMs warning comes back on. I took it back to Knopf Audi in Allentown, PA and I expect them to figure out what the hell the problem is. So frustrating!
    I have the same issue, my dealer is ordering oil pressure switch. I will keep everyone informed after install.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

Fortunately, I have not seen the issue come back (at least not yet) since the switch was replaced back in Feb.

Established Member Three Rings integroid's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4, S-Works Venge, Felt AR1
    Items for Sale

Rich4114, isnt third time a charm for a buy back according to the lemon law?
    |2011 S4|Premium Plus|Meteor Gray|6MT|Sports Diff|Nav|B&O|RS4 Grill|Bilstein PSS10|SPC Adj. Control Arm|Eurocode AluKreuz|Eurocode USS sways and endlinks|APR Stage II+|APR CPSv2|APR Exhaust|20x9 TSW Nurburgring|

Established Member Two Rings agershon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had this issue come up a couple weeks back. Took to the shop and advisor said "oh I think some dirt got stuck in the sensor, no problem."

Went away ... until yesterday. Pain in the butt. So changing the oil sensor switch doesn't fix the problem??

Veteran Member Four Rings Ynnekdude's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
    Sorry to dig up this old post, but the oil filter wasn't your problem. The mechanic who did the work was. The filter housing wasn't tightened down properly or got cross-threaded and never was on right. There's also two seals that must be changed on it and it's very easy not to tighten that thing up right if you rush it. Please always make it a habit that if you take your car to a dealer to have your oil changed, you open the hood and inspect the work when you pick it up. Don't trust that they did the work right. Feel and make sure the canister is tightened up correctly. I would highly recommend maybe doing your own oil changes to keep this from happening. It's a shame that we can't even trust dealerships to do the work right anymore.
    Agreed. I believe it was dealer service error but I had to rely on what I was told from the other dealer that my car was towed to. They said it could have been a defective seal but I lean towards mechanic error.
    2011 Q5 3.2 Prestige. Meteor Gray.
    2009 A6 3.0T Sedan w/19" Sport Pkg. Phantom Black.
    APR 93 Stage II+. STaSIS Exhaust. SST Intake. Stoptech ST-60. KW V1s. H&R Sways
    V1 Hardwired. LI-Dual. 18" VMR 708s w/Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s (Winter)

AZ Member #

Update:

So I did end up getting this fixed. There are two sensors - a low oil pressure sensor and a high oil pressure sensor. They replaced the low one two times before realizing it was really the high oil pressure sensor that was bad. Since they replaced that, it's performed great and no engine codes. This was about a month ago now, so I'm confident it's fixed for good.
    Current
    -------------
    | MY 2013 S4 | Premium Plus | Estoril Blue | 6spd manual | Sport Differential | NAV | B&O | Black/Magma Fine Nappa | Audi Advanced Key | Carbon Atlas | 19" Wheels |

AZ Member #

Update: My EPC problem crops up occasionally but once the car is turned off and on again, it stays away for a couple weeks or months. As I said in my post above, I've taken it in once and they said the oil pressure sensor was "dirty".

Last week the EPC started coming on consistently, so I took it in. They replaced the oil PCV (pressure control valve) but that didn't fix it. Then they replaced an oil pressure switch and said "it's fixed". I got the car back yesterday, and I am waiting to see if the EPC comes back.

At that point I will start looking into lemon law.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This kept happening to my 2013 S4. Being told by Audi everything is fine. My solution.... Drive my C63 while I sell the S4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudifanNY View Post
    This kept happening to my 2013 S4. Being told by Audi everything is fine. My solution.... Drive my C63 while I sell the S4

In some states, including mine , three fixes for the same problem is lemon territory. You should consider it as you get your whole purchase price back instead of the depreciated sale price. My .02

Established Member Two Rings SLKStang's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1974 Porsche 914

I actually just had this pop up! Dealer said that during my 5k service, they used a filter insert that was mislabeled and incorrectly sized. Should have been 155mm, they installed a 152mm. There is a TSB about it.
    2014 Audi S4 - Moonlight Blue
    2005 Lotus Elise - Racing Green

Established Member Two Rings SLKStang's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1974 Porsche 914

Quote Originally Posted by SLKStang View Post
    I actually just had this pop up! Dealer said that during my 5k service, they used a filter insert that was mislabeled and incorrectly sized. Should have been 155mm, they installed a 152mm. There is a TSB about it.
    I stand corrected. EPC came back, took it back in and got the same diagnosis as others, bad oil pressure sensor. They're ordering and getting me set up. Hope this isn't a long standing issue.
    2014 Audi S4 - Moonlight Blue
    2005 Lotus Elise - Racing Green

Established Member Four Rings lapisia's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by SLKStang View Post
    I stand corrected. EPC came back, took it back in and got the same diagnosis as others, bad oil pressure sensor. They're ordering and getting me set up. Hope this isn't a long standing issue.
    It's funny because I got the EPC warning shortly after my first oil change as well. I used the vagcom to scan the fault and it seems related to oil pressure switch so I assume it's most likely a problem with the same theme as yours. Bringing mine into the dealer next week to get her looked at.
    2013 DSG S4
    goodies: eurocode / xpel

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lapisia View Post
    It's funny because I got the EPC warning shortly after my first oil change as well. I used the vagcom to scan the fault and it seems related to oil pressure switch so I assume it's most likely a problem with the same theme as yours. Bringing mine into the dealer next week to get her looked at.
    EPC hasn't come back for me, now 10 days since they replaced the oil pressure switch. Post back with your experience, please.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

My dealer said EPC was a #4 cylinder misfire and they can't get it to replicate so I should just wait and see what happens. I would love to use such half ass excuses to my clients and have it be ok.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by agershon View Post
    EPC hasn't come back for me, now 10 days since they replaced the oil pressure switch. Post back with your experience, please.
    How long or how complicated was the procedure for them to replace the switch? I just dropped my car off this morning to the dealer they initially said it was going to take 1-2 hours but now they need to take it overnight because apparently the area is tight and they need to drop my supercharger to get to the damn switch. All this because of a stupid electric fault. Argh. Worst part is now I have to spend the night and tomorrow in a Passat. #firstworldproblems
    2013 DSG S4

Established Member Three Rings Usa's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4

No tune.. no problem.
    S4 (B8) DSG / Quartz Gray Metallic / B&O / MMI Nav / Sport Diff / Carbon Inlays / Supercharged badges / VAG-Com / Roc-Euro / APR Stage II / Non-res Milltek / Alu Kreuz / EC Front & Rear Sways / 19x9.5 AG M590 Brushed Tinted Clear w/ PSS / RS4 Honeycomb Grill / P3 Gauge

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi Q5

Quote Originally Posted by lapisia View Post
    How long or how complicated was the procedure for them to replace the switch? I just dropped my car off this morning to the dealer they initially said it was going to take 1-2 hours but now they need to take it overnight because apparently the area is tight and they need to drop my supercharger to get to the damn switch. All this because of a stupid electric fault. Argh. Worst part is now I have to spend the night and tomorrow in a Passat. #firstworldproblems
    I went back to look at my receipt. Mine took a couple of days between dropping off (end if day) and pick up. However, everything that requires a part seems to take a couple of days. It was just there 5 days (including weekend) mainly to fix a bad volume knob, which required replacing the MMI control unit because the volume control isn't a separate part.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

update: they actually completed my car without having it stay there overnight. They said it took 3 guys to semi lift the supercharger and fit the switch under it. Car drives fine, I don't really notice any difference but glad I got this out of the way!
    2013 DSG S4

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

happened to me today , car banged into from 1-2nd gear change, and the light came on... car sounded like a v8 muscle car