Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Three Rings dazed1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Question S5 / RS5 with car seat?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    For those of you with RS5's, or S5's, how many have car seats back there? front facing, for a 3 year old.

I tried putting in the recaro seat I have in a S5 at the dealer (without buckling it down), and it went in with difficulty, but looked like there was enough space in there. How many have driven around with one? Do you keep it permanently in there?

Still torn between a RS5 and a S4 (mainly for ability to carry passengers).

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

S5 / RS5 with car seat?

I have a fwd facing seat pretty much in the car full time in my RS5. Bit different fitment in Aus as ISOfix is not approved locally.

Set fits fine my son is comfy without anyone in the front seat and if there is they have to keep the seat fwd a fair way as his legs aren't long enough yet to hang down properly.

Overall fine for short trips but not something I'd recommend for long trips personally.

AZ Member #

Thats good to know. My daughter is old enough that she hangs her legs, but sometimes rests it on the seat back in front (shoes come off as soon as she's in, lol).

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

S5 / RS5 with car seat?

Yeah his feet in the chair back drives me nuts. His legs do hang though just not long enough to hang straight down just yet, he does love Daddy's car though...

AZ Member #

I do plan on getting a guard or a protective film put on the seat back. And yeah, the banging would drive me nuts. Luckily she's good that way.

Established Member Two Rings 2rockit's Avatar
    AZ Member #

AZ Member #

Lol, somehow I expected a cat in here. I've read some of DinB's threads, but what's the relation with cats? (I'm new here :p )

Established Member Two Rings JoeyZ's Avatar
    AZ Member #

S5 / RS5 with car seat?

I had a Recaro in my B7 S4. Just got an S5 and haven't tried installing. I'm really hoping it fits. The Recaro is a great car seat.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Does anyone let their dog ride in the car? I've seen the back seat hammocks, but is it easy for a medium size dog to jump directly in the back seat?

I have an 8 year old son that would ride in the back, but we use the wife's SUV for most trips. I figure I could just keep the passenger seat all the way forward most the time.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Front facing child seats usually aren't a problem. Rear facing infant seats are more difficult.

AZ Member #

Yup. This will be front facing. Since she's getting the age where in a year or 2 years she'll need a booster seat, i'm leaning towards this seat:
    http://www.amazon.com/RECARO-Prospor...ecaro+car+seat

And oh, I placed an order for the RS5 today. Couldn't take the anxiety any more! Now the most patient 3-4 months :(

AZ Member #

S5 / RS5 with car seat?

I have that seat in all black. My daughter loves it. It's so secure and comfortable. I'm putting mine in tomorrow. Ill post a pic.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZ View Post
    I have that seat in all black. My daughter loves it. It's so secure and comfortable. I'm putting mine in tomorrow. Ill post a pic.
    Perfect, thanks. And yeah, I would get it in all black too.
    Wife has this one in her car that I currently switch back / forth into the Infiniti as needed:
    http://www.amazon.com/Recaro-ProRIDE...ecaro+car+seat

I tried this one into a S5 at the dealership. Was difficult to get in, but once in, fit fine. 

AZ Member #

S5 / RS5 with car seat?

Good to know. I just bought it for the S4 before I got rid of it. Would have been a bummer of it didn't fit.

Established Member Two Rings A5Toadster's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A5/Meteor Gray/ 98 JEEP TJ

Quote Originally Posted by JimWB View Post
    Does anyone let their dog ride in the car? I've seen the back seat hammocks, but is it easy for a medium size dog to jump directly in the back seat?
    I have a 80lbs Cheasapeak Bay that rides in my back seat, i did not use a hammock but did find a Canine Seat cover, heavy Canvas like material tucks in on the sides to secure it. She has no problem going from the front seat to the back seat.
    08 A5: Meteor Gray/Light Gray, 6spd, Premium Package,Tech Package, B&O, Nav.

Mods: STaSis Exhaust, H&R Coils, Brembo GT Brakes, IForged Wheels, STaSis ARB.
    Coming soon: EU Headlights

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have an 8 year old son that would ride in the back, but we use the wife's SUV for most trips. I figure I could just keep the passenger seat all the way forward most the time.
    I have two 60lb dogs and so far so good. They jump right in no problem. They are 5 years old. Might be a bit harder when they are 10+ but for now, it doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Just need to find a good cover for the seats as the one we use now rides up and may as well not exist...
    '11 Cab. ECU Flash.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

My dog is allowed to ride in the back of my S5. I purchased a Kurgo back seat cover instead of a hammock style because I thought it would work better for a coupe and would allow a passenger to ride in the back at the same time. I dont need child seat but the seat belt buckles are accessible using this cover. Check the link and pictures. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00602...8793608&sr=8-1
    2013 S5 - Premium Plus, Phantom Black, Black Nappa Leather, 6MT, Sports Differential, B&O Sound System, MMI, Advanced Key, Carbon Atlas Inlays.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mightydog View Post
    My dog is allowed to ride in the back of my S5. I purchased a Kurgo back seat cover instead of a hammock style because I thought it would work better for a coupe and would allow a passenger to ride in the back at the same time. I dont need child seat but the seat belt buckles are accessible using this cover. Check the link and pictures. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00602...8793608&sr=8-1
    So your dog can get into the backseat without passing through the front seat first? I've seen small barriers you can install between the front seats that will keep your dog in the back of the car. I take my Aussie to doggy day care several days a week (don't laugh, she loves it!), but she can be a bit dirty sometimes when I pick her up. I would be afraid she may scuff up the console if I let her pass through the front seat.

Established Member Three Rings Owoodee's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    dead bugs and wifes junk!

My kid is still in a carrier and that can fit easily so i would assume forward facing would be eazy peezy. how was it being difficult?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So your dog can get into the backseat without passing through the front seat first? I've seen small barriers you can install between the front seats that will keep your dog in the back of the car. I take my Aussie to doggy day care several days a week (don't laugh, she loves it!), but she can be a bit dirty sometimes when I pick her up. I would be afraid she may scuff up the console if I let her pass through the front seat.
    Use the forward and back buttons next to the latch to swing the seat up. It only takes a couple seconds to slide the passenger seat all the way up and there is plenty of space for dogs to jump in. My 2 60lb dogs don't have a problem with it. No way would I let them jump into the back from the front. They would find a way to step on everything in the center console area going in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by mightydog View Post
    How do you get it to stay put and not ride up after 5 minutes?
    '11 Cab. ECU Flash.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by J0E View Post
    Use the forward and back buttons next to the latch to swing the seat up. It only takes a couple seconds to slide the passenger seat all the way up and there is plenty of space for dogs to jump in. My 2 60lb dogs don't have a problem with it. No way would I let them jump into the back from the front. They would find a way to step on everything in the center console area going in and out.

How do you get it to stay put and not ride up after 5 minutes?
    Yep what JOE said about front seats.

The cover tucks into the sides pretty snug and also has an elastic strap that you can put under the front bottom lip of the back seat. There is also a strap that fits around the back seat. Just fold the back seat down and secure the strap. I haven't used the cover for long but I haven't had much shifting of the cover. Also I have a dog harness that connects to the shoulder part of the back seat belt which keeps the dog from moving around too much. The dog is a soon-to-be 10 year old golden retriever.
    2013 S5 - Premium Plus, Phantom Black, Black Nappa Leather, 6MT, Sports Differential, B&O Sound System, MMI, Advanced Key, Carbon Atlas Inlays.

AZ Member #

S5 / RS5 with car seat?

Anyone have a picture of a car seat in? I like the idea of a seat mat too. Will help protect the leather at least where the car seat will be.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    Anyone have a picture of a car seat in? I like the idea of a seat mat too. Will help protect the leather at least where the car seat will be.
    If i get a chance this weekend I'll set it up and take a picture. Until then, the link to Amazon shows a picture of the cover on the back seat of a sedan. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00602YFBC?in=4&is=l

AZ Member #

S5 / RS5 with car seat?

So to bump this thread since I got my rs5.

Here it is with a recaro car seat. Don't remember the exact model but can look if needed.

I should get a couple other pictures of anyone needs. This is currently behind the drivers seat.

Established Member Two Rings 2rockit's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Recaro?! Whaa?! Get some Sparco baby shoes to kick the back of your seat for more powaaaahhhh
    2013 Audi S5 Coupe
    2006 Audi A4 2.0T 6sm (For Sale)
    2000 Volkswagen Jetta (Sold)

Active Member Two Rings SSG JL S5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 BMW X5

So to bump this thread since I got my rs5.

Here it is with a recaro car seat. Don't remember the exact model but can look if needed.

I should get a couple other pictures of anyone needs. This is currently behind the drivers seat.

Ugh... That's way to close.. Is your seat all the way back? I would have to put the car seat behind my wife's seat if that's the case... My daughter will be 3 when i get back from Deployment, she won't be in the car all the time with me, but this is no bueno...
    2014 Audi S5 Premium Plus NAVI, ADS, Sport Diff, B&O, Adv. Key, Phantom Black
    Planned Mods: AWE Intake, AWE Exhaust, Forgestar CF10 19x9.5
    Wishlist Mods: APR Tune & Pulley

2011 BMW X5 Premium 3.5i
    'Boopie/Camber-Toe' Custom FMIC, 'Boopie/Camber-Toe' Custom Catback Exhaust, Drop in K&N Filter, JB3 Stg 1 Piggyback system

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SSG JL S5 View Post
    Ugh... That's way to close.. Is your seat all the way back? I would have to put the car seat behind my wife's seat if that's the case... My daughter will be 3 when i get back from Deployment, she won't be in the car all the time with me, but this is no bueno...
    My daughter is 3 as well. Not always in the car either. The seat is not all the way back. I'm about 5'8, so adjusted for my height. I'll take a picture of it from the passenger side today.

Reason its behind me is because she likes my wife sitting next to her for "long" drives (more than 30 mins or so). And it would be more comfortable.

I do take passengers as well, so rather have two passengers capacity. No full size adult will fit behind the driver.

AZ Member #

S5 / RS5 with car seat?

One more picture. It is a bit tight, but my daughter doesn't mind it. Nor is she always kicking the seat back, so it works out well for the once a week ride.

Active Member Two Rings SSG JL S5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 BMW X5

My daughter is 3 as well. Not always in the car either. The seat is not all the way back. I'm about 5'8, so adjusted for my height. I'll take a picture of it from the passenger side today.

Reason its behind me is because she likes my wife sitting next to her for "long" drives (more than 30 mins or so). And it would be more comfortable.

I do take passengers as well, so rather have two passengers capacity. No full size adult will fit behind the driver.
    Hmmm... I'm 6'3, and I had to have my seat all the way back when I did my test drive/test fit. In my X5 I have the car seat in between the two other seats , so my daughter has lots of leg / kicking room, I would hate to limit her space, but looking at your pictures, No go for me. I may have to reconsider my S5 order. Unless a car seat could be placed in the middle. I may have to look at my other choice for a coupe that had a lot more space in the back...
    2014 Audi S5 Premium Plus NAVI, ADS, Sport Diff, B&O, Adv. Key, Phantom Black
    Planned Mods: AWE Intake, AWE Exhaust, Forgestar CF10 19x9.5
    Wishlist Mods: APR Tune & Pulley

2011 BMW X5 Premium 3.5i
    'Boopie/Camber-Toe' Custom FMIC, 'Boopie/Camber-Toe' Custom Catback Exhaust, Drop in K&N Filter, JB3 Stg 1 Piggyback system

AZ Member #

S5 / RS5 with car seat?

Quote Originally Posted by SSG JL S5 View Post
    Hmmm... I'm 6'3, and I had to have my seat all the way back when I did my test drive/test fit. In my X5 I have the car seat in between the two other seats , so my daughter has lots of leg / kicking room, I would hate to limit her space, but looking at your pictures, No go for me. I may have to reconsider my S5 order. Unless a car seat could be placed in the middle. I may have to look at my other choice for a coupe that had a lot more space in the back...
    No middle seat. No latch or center belt. So you can't put the car seat there. It would have to be behind the passenger.