Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Water pump leak

Senior Member Three Rings killerkali's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Water pump leak

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just recently i had a pool of pinkish fluid leak somewhere in the front of the motor, straight onto the oil pan and it dripped right off the center of the pan. I really cant even peek to determine the leak, but im almost 100% its the water pump/thermostat housing leaking . Nothing else coolant wise in the front that could leak besides the rad obviously right? Im due for a timing belt, so i have to tear it apart anyways but would like some firsthand opinions incase it could be something else! Also it isn't the afterun pump or anything top of the motor, definitely front of the engine

Veteran Member Four Rings The_Auto_Tech's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi allroad 6MT

The thermostat housings on these cars almost NEVER leak or fail. More than likely you've got a water pump leaking if it's running straight down the front, very common. If you're feeling spendy you can get an aluminum thermostat housing from a 12V 2.8 for about 100 bucks. I guess it's just peace of mind more than anything. I would highly suggest to do your camshaft seals while you're doing the timing belt as it's crossover time.
    2006 Ford F-250 Amarillo Edition - MOARYLW - Mine

2001 Audi allroad 6MT - Wife's

Previous - MKIII Jetta, MKIV Jetta x2, MKIV GTi, B5.5 Passat x3, B5 A4 x2, B5 S4 x2, and tons of Domestic/Japanese crap

- Cody T.

Senior Member Three Rings alm001's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '10 Impreza

Quote Originally Posted by The_Auto_Tech View Post
    The thermostat housings on these cars almost NEVER leak or fail. More than likely you've got a water pump leaking if it's running straight down the front, very common. If you're feeling spendy you can get an aluminum thermostat housing from a 12V 2.8 for about 100 bucks. I guess it's just peace of mind more than anything. I would highly suggest to do your camshaft seals while you're doing the timing belt as it's crossover time.
    The plastic tstat housings crack from old age. Mine just went recently.
    -Andrew

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi allroad 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
    The plastic tstat housings crack from old age. Mine just went recently.
    Like I said, ALMOST never. It's plastic so yes, it can crack.

Previous - MKIII Jetta, MKIV Jetta x2, MKIV GTi, B5.5 Passat x3, B5 A4 x2, B5 S4 x2, and tons of Domestic/Japanese crap

- Cody T.

Veteran Member Four Rings DiscoPotato's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Parts
    Items for Sale

Water pump leak

Quote Originally Posted by The_Auto_Tech View Post
    Are you kidding? The plastic housings suck and always leak!
    Last edited by DiscoPotato; 11-25-2012 at 05:11 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi allroad 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoPotato View Post
    Are you kidding? The plastic housings sick and always leak!
    Apparently you guys are the only ones that have had them leak. I work for a VW/Audi dealer and have NEVER fixed a leaking thermostat housing on a 2.8 or 2.7T yet.

- Cody T.

Veteran Member Four Rings DiscoPotato's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Parts
    Items for Sale

Water pump leak

They mostly leak after a thermostat job. Or when you remove the housing at all. The face where it meets the thermostat gasket is delicate from years of use.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi allroad 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoPotato View Post
    They mostly leak after a thermostat job. Or when you remove the housing at all. The face where it meets the thermostat gasket is delicate.
    Exactly. I'm talking cars that have had no prior touching of the housing.

- Cody T.

Veteran Member Three Rings ride1157's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Laser Stage 3 s4 6MT, 2014 Glacier White S4 (DSG) w/sports diff, 2001 B5 S4 Stage 3 BB 6MT

My car came from the factory with a aluminum housing, some of the 2.7t's came with plastic and some with aluminum. On my old s4 the housing was plastic and i had to replace it because it gave out when doing the thermostat job. If you are due for a tbelt job you might as well change all this stuff and you will be worry free for a little while. :)