Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings Dubdaze's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

Help me build a SQ system

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Im looking to upgrade my stereo in my B6. Im looking for Good SQ, Very tight/punchy Mid-bass and a simple sub setup that has very accurate/tight bass.

My only Mods done so far is a Avic x930Bt.

Im not looking for specific brands or models of speakers, Im Asking more of how to go about building this system, Like should i use a 5 channel amp? or a 4 channel amp and a separate amp for the sub? And for the front stage should i do a nice component set, get a crossover, how would i run the tweeters on their own channel? Im asking for ways to do this setup.

Thanks!

The car its for:

Ocean Blue USP

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The most important thing to remember is the install, you can buy and spend whatever you want, but if its installed poorly then you are wasting your money. Do you have a budget? do you want to run a separate processor? Are you bothered about rear speakers?

If you can find a 5 channel that works, go with that. I think the JL 900/5 is a good all in one amp with plenty of power. Bridge channels 1+2 and 3+4 for your front speakers (if not running a processor, just pick up a good set of components) and use channel 5 for the sub. Do you want to be able to run your front speakers active? (tweeters on their own channel) or are you going to be happy with them passive (using the crossover that came with a set of components).

Make sure to deaden and seal your doors, especially if you are after good mid-bass. Sealing the doors on the A4 is fairly easy, if the B6 doors are anything like the B7 there are 3 big holes you will want to seal up and a few smaller ones.
    White Wagon

Twitter/Instagram: IDFront

Senior Member Three Rings Luis_Heineken's Avatar
    AZ Member #

spend the money on good equipment. as always, the source (radio) is the more important think. good quality speakers/amps go hand to hand. what kind of music do you hear? how much $ can you spend? i, prefer american amps/sub (rockford fosgate, jl), maybe the same for amp/speakers. that is what i want for my b7a4, jvc radio, jl 5 channel amp, speakers & sub. as naiku said, the install is very important to me. i am in the minimalist group, no pre amp, no eq (only in radio) no x over (only in amp)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

I dont want to spend a crazy amount on this, Im not experienced with good SQ yet to do that.

And running the front components active, is there a noticeable difference in SQ ( If i adjust the eq right of course) to justify running active?

And sealing the deadening the doors, im going to do that, and maybe MLV.

And the rear door speakers, Is it absolutely necessary to run them?

Should I run Mid-bass drivers in the front doors? and tweeters? Or run Components up front and Mid-bass drivers in the rear doors?

I just trying to have a Better setup than running all the door speakers off the HU.

I listen to Rock/Rap, but I HATE booomy bass, and i like midbass that you can feel.
    Ocean Blue USP

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Going on your answers, I would not bother running an active system, just pick up a good set of components. There is no need at all to do anything with the rear door speakers, for a couple years I just had front components and a single 10" sub in the trunk and it sounded great.

Just run components up front, if you want to run separate mid-bass drivers in the rear doors then you are looking at 4 way active which is difficult to do, and not possible without an external processor. Just mid-bass drivers and tweeters in the front doors will not sound good, as you will be missing everything from the top frequency of your mid-bass to the bottom of your tweeters. Read a bunch of reviews on components to find some with good mid-bass (the first ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Massive Audio components) and then a sealed sub in the trunk.
    White Wagon

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

Ok, so Nice components up front, sealed sub in trunk.

I only want to run one Amp, so would a 3 channel amp be ideal?

2 channels for the components and one channel for the sub?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dubdaze; 11-19-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    Ocean Blue USP

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdaze View Post
    I only want to run one Amp, so would a 3 channel amp be ideal?
    I don't know of any good 3 channel amps, but you can essentially do the same thing with a 4 channel. 1 and 2 for the components, bridge 3 and 4 for the sub. There are also far more choices with regards to 4 channel amps.
    White Wagon

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

Wont that make the components and sub get the same amount of power?

thanks for the help.
    Ocean Blue USP

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Nope, when you bridge the 2 channels it increases the power. When you are looking at amps, you will see a bridged power rating, that is the rating that 2 channels combined will provide. For example I did the same with an Alpine MRV-F345, its rated at 4x75W, but bridging channels 3 and 4 it puts out 300W to the sub. So I had 75W to my components, and 300W to my sub.
    White Wagon

Senior Member Three Rings 2BblkAudis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Nope, when you bridge the 2 channels it increases the power. When you are looking at amps, you will see a bridged power rating, that is the rating that 2 channels combined will provide. For example I did the same with an Alpine MRV-F345, its rated at 4x75W, but bridging channels 3 and 4 it puts out 300W to the sub. So I had 75W to my components, and 300W to my sub.
    I'd recommend a good 6 channel amp. Use channel 1/2 for front component set (tweeters and 5.25" or 6."5) and 3/4 for 6.5"/8" midbass driver and bridge 5/6 for a single sub.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

Ok, makes sense now.

Now that i know what to use, now i can look for the parts to build it now. Thanks!
    Ocean Blue USP

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 2BblkAudis View Post
    I'd recommend a good 6 channel amp. Use channel 1/2 for front component set (tweeters and 5.25" or 6."5) and 3/4 for 6.5"/8" midbass driver and bridge 5/6 for a single sub.
    Problem with that is that its either find a 6 channel amp with good enough built in crossovers to allow for that type of system (off the top of my head I can't think of a single one), or look into an external crossover / processor with that type of capability. Also going that route, he would either need to build out kick panels for the mid-bass in the front, or put them in the rear doors. Either of which is then going to need a processor to sound decent as I don't think the X930BT has any time alignment built in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdaze View Post
    Ok, makes sense now.

Now that i know what to use, now i can look for the parts to build it now. Thanks!
    No problem, if you get any questions post away.
    White Wagon

Senior Member Three Rings 2BblkAudis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Problem with that is that its either find a 6 channel amp with good enough built in crossovers to allow for that type of system (off the top of my head I can't think of a single one), or look into an external crossover / processor with that type of capability. Also going that route, he would either need to build out kick panels for the mid-bass in the front, or put them in the rear doors. Either of which is then going to need a processor to sound decent as I don't think the X930BT has any time alignment built in.

This worked for me: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...ductId=MCC406M

Not cheap, but very happy with it. I've been out of the audio scene for over 6 years now and this this is sitting in my closet waiting for the right car.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 2BblkAudis View Post
    This worked for me: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...ductId=MCC406M

Not cheap, but very happy with it. I've been out of the audio scene for over 6 years now and this this is sitting in my closet waiting for the right car.
    Very nice amp!!! $2,500 or so MSRP though, put's it out of most peoples budget.
    White Wagon

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

x2.

Keep things simple with a 2 way.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Aprilia

Active vs passive comes down to this: Are you A) just trying to get this install done with a satisfactory improvement in sound, for as little as possible, and then not think about car audio again, or B) A hobbyist at heart and/or an audiophile, willing to make your system a long term project as you keep chasing down every deficiency in sound quality?

If A), go passive. If B), go active. Your answer will guide our advice.

Check out build threads on this forum for some ideas people have implemented.
    2004 S4

Horsepower to the people

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

Ok, little update, i installed a component set in the front doors (Focal 165 A1) And used 12 sq. ft. of Ballistic sound deadening in the front door, sealed off the Big holes in the front doors and all the smaller holes, Door sounds a lot heavier and solid when shutting.

Running them off the head unit right now, and they sound decent. So i ordered a 5 channel Amp.

I went with the NVX 900.5 (here)

And while i was looking around i also found that the Polk Audio PA D5000.5 is IDENTICAL in specs, and the side by side pictures, they are identical amps. (Here) is the Polk Amp

I emailed NVX and asked them how the Polk is 1 Ohm stable on the sub channel and the NVX is only 2 ohm stable.

Waiting for the amp to get here.
    Ocean Blue USP

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

And since i have 4 channels and only front components, Should i go active or just buy something for the rear doors? Or could i just run the rear doors off the head unit since its just for rear fill? What would you do?

And i have two Kicker CVR 8's dual 4 ohms in a sealed box for the sub channel on the amp
    Ocean Blue USP

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

NVX:

Polk:

Ocean Blue USP

Veteran Member Four Rings swoardrider's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '06 A4Q 2.0T

While SQ is subjective, I think in your case your title should read " help me build a system". True SQ systems are a combination of pricey components, meticulous installation, and countless hours of tuning. Looks like you have all the components you need to make a good sounding Audi. Venturing into the SQ world would mean opening up the pocket book wide!
    '06 2.0T S-line Tip

Stasis/Ohlins Motorsports, Stasis 14.5" BBk, Stasis rear BBK, H-sport rear sway, APR 91 & 100, E-code testpipe, JHM 4:1 center diff, 18" Wed'sSports w/ 255/30 Toyo R888 (track), 19" Tenzo-R's w/ 255/35 (street), Stern upper arms, upgraded stereo crap, Huper tint, RS4 grill, catch can, headache, backache, walletache

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

I know this. But all i ever done before was install Coaxial's off the head unit and a sub with a amp. This is A little more SQ based than anything ive done before.

Later on once i get more experience i can justify spending alot more money on the system.
    Ocean Blue USP

Established Member Two Rings OrangeDUB's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    German Cars & Jap Bikes

Help me build a SQ system

Are you still using the rear deck sub? Or is it disconnected &/or removed and you're only using a sub/amp you added?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

I am hooking up the amp today, but i will disconnect the rear deck sub. and running no rear door speakers.
    Ocean Blue USP

Veteran Member Four Rings swoardrider's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '06 A4Q 2.0T

Does the B6 have a center channel like the B7? If so, dump the center speaker and it will improve the front stage dramatically.
    '06 2.0T S-line Tip

Stasis/Ohlins Motorsports, Stasis 14.5" BBk, Stasis rear BBK, H-sport rear sway, APR 91 & 100, E-code testpipe, JHM 4:1 center diff, 18" Wed'sSports w/ 255/30 Toyo R888 (track), 19" Tenzo-R's w/ 255/35 (street), Stern upper arms, upgraded stereo crap, Huper tint, RS4 grill, catch can, headache, backache, walletache

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

I unhooked the center channel last night, That speaker was all raspy and unclear anyways.

Im also looking for a fiberlgass sub box to fit in the side compartment in the trunk, and just running a single sub.
    Ocean Blue USP

Established Member Two Rings SuMb0dY1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: Help me build a SQ system

Id love to unhook my center channel to get rid of the distortion but dont know which wires are for it haha. Butnow im in a rush to get the subwoofer installed and the trunk back together so ill deal with that later i guess.

Im running my new components passive and i love them so far.

Although they will change a bit when they break in and ill really open them up when the sub is installed and I highpass them.

For my component amplifier I chose a powerful 2 chanel and a seperate amp for the sub. If you have the space that might be a good way to go. My GT- 2200 is huuuuge though so I got a JL XD600-1 for the subwoofer and its actually a tiny amp I was able to fit them both and the crossovers under the rear deck in the trunk. Ill post that soon so you can check it out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Lucius Fox: I call it... The Bat and yes Mr. Wayne, it does come in black.
    Bruce Wayne: Now you're just showing off.

Established Member Two Rings SuMb0dY1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: Help me build a SQ system

I find that having 2 seperate amps allowed me to get a little more settings on them. The JL amp has a couple filters meant for a sub and the boston acoustics amp has filters better for components. Plus i used a bass knob on the subwoofer amp which will come in handy. Not sure if a 5 or 6 channel would give the same options.
    Edit: that is until i checked out the nvx you just bought haha. Looks like a good choice let me know how you like it!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Lucius Fox: I call it... The Bat and yes Mr. Wayne, it does come in black.
    Bruce Wayne: Now you're just showing off.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

So far the NVX is doing great, sounds awesome and clear, ALOT better than running the components off the head-unit.

Its smaller than a piece of paper.
    Ocean Blue USP