Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2013 S5 Steering problems

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    long time lurker here making a first post, hi all.

picked up a new 2013 s5 a few months back and the car has been a joy so far over my first 5000 kms. within the last few weeks i've started to notice a problem with my steering wheel jumping over the center position slightly as the wheel is turned. there is a very noticeable resistance the wheel seems to hop over left or right as its turned. anyone else experiencing anything like this? it occurs in all drive modes, with both summer and winter tires (changed over a few days ago hoping it was a problem with my summers on)

cant seem to find anything on the forums so far

Senior Member Three Rings TayTay's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I am having the same issues with mine. I work at an Audi dealership, so tomorrow I am going to ask about possible steering recalibration and steering angle sensor. I ruled out alignment already. Will let you know what I find out.
    2013 AUDI S4
    MISANO RED Silver/Black Napa
    6mt | MMI | Advanced Key | Sports Diff | 19" Peelers

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

interesting.. keep us posted what you find taytay

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

my friend just bought a brand new 2013 S5 today at Royal Motors in San Francisco. Drove it 2/3 miles back home, left it there for an hour or so and decided to go out for dinner. When he switched on the car a warning popped up saying "Steering Wheel Defective! Do not drive vehicle!" wtf? not really sure what to make of this but he is going to return the car tomorrow.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Black A4 1.8T Q 10 A5 S-line. '12 S4

Audi changed steering from hydraulic to electrical steering for '12 to '13. its be a huge difference for me. I had a '12 S4 and just picked up an '13 S5, its hard getting use to the new set up, very twitchy at high speeds. Changed my steering to comfort in individual setting, made it allot better. Also note that audi had a new software update for the power steering control module. Just take it in to the dealer to see if you car needs it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Nisaan Xterra & 2002 Nissan Maxima

My Audi dealer performed the power steering control unit software update today during the 5,000-mile warranty work on our 2013 S5. I did not notice any steering issues prior to bringing it in. They did this update on their own. It was called the "Audi Campaign/Recall: 48K4 W-UPDATE - Power Steering Control Unit CRITERIA 44". There is no noticeable difference in the steering after the update. I asked the service manager why the update and what was done to correct the problem. But either he did not know or I have yet to build a relation with the service manager before he will feel comfortable answering my questions. This was my first service visit to the dealer.
    Wayne

Senior Member Two Rings IceAero's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WCO33 View Post
    My Audi dealer performed the power steering control unit software update today during the 5,000-mile warranty work on our 2013 S5. I did not notice any steering issues prior to bringing it in. They did this update on their own. It was called the "Audi Campaign/Recall: 48K4 W-UPDATE - Power Steering Control Unit CRITERIA 44". There is no noticeable difference in the steering after the update. I asked the service manager why the update and what was done to correct the problem. But either he did not know or I have yet to build a relation with the service manager before he will feel comfortable answering my questions. This was my first service visit to the dealer.
    I have the exact same 'feeling' from the steering as the OP, and I'm really curious if this update changes anything. In truth, I don't feel as though anything is really wrong with the steering system, and this might just be a characteristic of the new electronic steering system, but considering that the resistance is modifiable I'm inclined to believe that software can change this behavior.
    2013 S4 6MT| Glacier White Metallic | Silver Alcantara | Sports Diff. | B&O | W: 18" OEM (PA4) S: 19" AG M510 (PSS)
    Höen xenonmatch fogs | LED interior | OEM intercooler grille | WeatherTech mats
    Fuelly: Look how heavy my foot is

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

had that software update done already and it changed nothing. the service manager said it was some sort of diagnostic update. the problem first started happening about the time temperatures started dropping around the freezing point up here, and over the last few days of decent weather its been behaving perfectly again. going to give it a week or so and see if it happens again. are you guys noticing this all the time?

Veteran Member Four Rings kooltechie's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 S5, '08 A4
    Items for Sale

it seems there's a great need to improve the electromechanical steering on Audi's plate.
    I'm sure it'll eventually get better and better, but for now, it feels like we're beta testers for Audi.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Review-2013-S5
    2013 S5 Glacier White | Black Alcantara | DSG | Sport Diff | MMI Nav + | B&O | Carbon | Advanced Key | 19" Ti Peeler
    STaSIS Tune | PSS10 | EC Alu Kreuz/Sways/End Links | SPC MS Edition UCA | VMR V810 Gunmetal 19x9.5 | Michelin PSS 265/35 | H&R DRA | Xpel Ultimate | 3M Crystalline

SOLD - 2008 A4 2.0TQ SE Tip | QG | Bluetooth | Sport Susp | RS4 RSB | APR Tune | ER SMIC | Clear Bra | Hüper Optik

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

noticed that thread before posting and this issue is not a complaint about how the steering feels (though i do agree with you on some points). taytay's post in that thread probably more accurately describes what im finding. there is a resistance point dead center of the wheel that forces you to either hold slightly left or right which makes staying in lanes really frustrating. was hoping his dealership visit could provide some feedback before i took my own in with a problem i cant reliably recreate on something that happens 5% of the time :(

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Exclamation Inform Audi USA of your 2013 S5 Steering Problems!

Quote Originally Posted by thirddecay View Post
    long time lurker here making a first post, hi all.

picked up a new 2013 s5 a few months back and the car has been a joy so far over my first 5000 kms. within the last few weeks i've started to notice a problem with my steering wheel jumping over the center position slightly as the wheel is turned. there is a very noticeable resistance the wheel seems to hop over left or right as its turned. anyone else experiencing anything like this? it occurs in all drive modes, with both summer and winter tires (changed over a few days ago hoping it was a problem with my summers on)

cant seem to find anything on the forums so far
    I purchased my 2013 Audi S5 on August 1, 2012. For the first month (1,200 miles) it drove beautifully. Then I started to experience a strange sensation in the steering wheel. The best way that I can describe it is that it "ticks" like a Timex rather than "sweeping" like a Rolex. Additionally, it has "binding" sensation when making minor adjustments in direction. It is sort of like the steering wheel is on a knuckle and it "pops" from side to side of that knuckle when making fine adjustments. This occurs on all three modes, however, it does not happen everytime I drive the car and the intensity of the effect is variable. I have not been able to pinpoint anyone variable that causes the problem, though I am keeping a log in an attempt to identify a pattern. I have taken it to the dealer where purchased twice. First time they performed the Power Steering Control Unit Criteria 44 and said it was fixed. The problem persisted so I took it back. They claimed that they "Could not reproduce the problem." I asked them to contact AUDI USA. They claimed to talk to AUDI USA and reported that they said that there are no other reported issues with the steering system in the 2013 Audi S5. I took it to a different dealer on a day when I was experiencing the problem. I asked a Tech to drive with me. During the drive, the Tech said he experienced the problem and that it was not right. I asked them to document the fact that the Tech noticed the issue. I made an appointment and took the car back the next day. That dealer said that the "computer shows no malfunctions and that they cannot reproduce the problem." Additionally they said that I should not use the "Dynamic" setting for the steering. Really? Then why use it as a selling point for a sports car? Anyway, since the Tech already experienced the problem and they documented it, I asked them to contact Audi USA to seek a solution to the problem. As of this writing I have been in an A4 loaner for 3 days with no resolution to the problem. My guess is Audi knows there is a problem but doesn't know how to fix it. They have done a cost benefit analysis and determined that since there is no fix and no one has been injured yet, don't do the recall as it is to expensive. If they don't fix my car I am filing under Maryland's Lemon Law for a refund. My suggestion to all of you out there experiencing the same issue is to take you cars to the dealer, force them to contact Audi USA and if they can't fix it, file for refund under your State's Lemon Law. In Maryland, you only have to take your car to the dealer once if the problem is an issue with steering before you are eligible to claim under the law. If my experience is consistent with yours, its the only way that owners of 2013 S5 will get relief until one of us is injured or killed in an accident. I hate to sound alarmist. All I want is for my car to work properly. But Audi is not listening and won't listen until enough people complain. Good luck, and please post if you are experiencing the same issue.

Senior Member Three Rings CoJoe's Avatar
    AZ Member #

anyone know electronics? I have felt this in my car too. My wild ass guess at the problem is that the steering wheel resistance is regulated/controlled via stepper motor, not a servo motor. They vary the magnetic strength of the electromagnets in the motor to produce the feel of the wheel. Feels to me like sometimes the you can feel the transition between magnets. makes it feel notchy when turning. I bet some of these units have a variable performance for a given current applied. So you turn the wheel and it gets equal force until it hits a magnet thats is out of whack, mis calibrated, or broken and you get a extra high resistance or extra low resistance spot that makes it feel jumpy.

Mine is fairly minor and doesn't bother me yet. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

BTW, this is my second steering column. First one started making a loud wooshing/whirling sound when I turned it. Audi replaced it with no issue.
    2013 RS5... Now if you'll excuse me, I have driving to do

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Apologies for not seeing this thread ---- as I started this one.
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...estion-For-You

With 2013 allroad owners and more and more A5/S5 owners complaining about this same issue ---- I've sent an email to a person I know at Audi corporate to see if they are aware of this and if so... is anything being done. Will keep you updated.
    Vehicles: 2013 Ibis White allroad & 2006 Campy White Touareg
    CAMP ALLROAD - JULY 2015 http://www.campallroad.org

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

If the higher-ups at Audi didn't know about this problem before ---- they do now!!!
    Vehicles: 2013 Ibis White allroad & 2006 Campy White Touareg
    CAMP ALLROAD - JULY 2015 http://www.campallroad.org

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I've gone in a 2009 to 2013 a couple of times now and I have to say I don't like it.
    2013 is quieter and much quicker to change direction but I feel disconnected from the road.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 S5, '08 A4
    Items for Sale

Subscribed
    2013 S5 Glacier White | Black Alcantara | DSG | Sport Diff | MMI Nav + | B&O | Carbon | Advanced Key | 19" Ti Peeler
    STaSIS Tune | PSS10 | EC Alu Kreuz/Sways/End Links | SPC MS Edition UCA | VMR V810 Gunmetal 19x9.5 | Michelin PSS 265/35 | H&R DRA | Xpel Ultimate | 3M Crystalline

SOLD - 2008 A4 2.0TQ SE Tip | QG | Bluetooth | Sport Susp | RS4 RSB | APR Tune | ER SMIC | Clear Bra | Hüper Optik

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by treginginco View Post
    If the higher-ups at Audi didn't know about this problem before ---- they do now!!!
    AWESOME! Thanks for your help with furthering the cause!

By way of update, I picked up my car from the dealer last night. Dealer said they contacted Audi USA. They are aware of complaints about the steering, but will not do anything about it. Tell owners not to use the Dynamic mode in Drive Select. Dealer said they recieved this message via email. I asked for a copy of the email. Dealer declined saying that it was a proprietary communication. Dealer is now going to be named in my lawsuit against Audi just so I can get the email during the discovery process. Additionally, please note that most states have consumer protection laws that prohibit Unfair Trade Practices such as false advertising. I have re-read my owners manual and NOWHERE does it say not to use the Dynamic Steering setting. Additonally, while at the dealer last night I took pictures of the advertisements that they had displayed pushing the Drive Select system. I will be filing under Maryland's Lemon Law and under our State's consumer protection laws as well. Remedy for the Lemon Law is the manufacuter must buy back your car OR give you a new on, your choice, plus monetary damages of up to $10K. Consumer Protection laws carry moneary damages for actuals and punitives. Check your State's laws or consult an attorney! Most of this information will be found on your State's Attorney General's website.

Good luck!

Senior Member Two Rings holmes4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi allroad

I have this problem (notchiness in steering near center) in my 2013 Allroad and I do not have DriveSelect.
    Steve

2013 allroad - Prestige, Monsoon Gray/black, Sport Interior, Sonniboy sunshades

Deactivated Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lots of spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    I have this problem (notchiness in steering near center) in my 2013 Allroad and I do not have DriveSelect.
    I must say that on a recent 800 mile trip with my S5 on Interstates, that I did notice the same "notchiness" near center. Do not feel it any other time than on long straight sections of roads. Had the car in Comfort Mode while on the highway, so not sure if that had anything to do with it, but am taking an hour drive this afternoon on an Interstate, and will try it in Dynamic & Auto to see if there is any difference.

Around town, I feel nothing.

Strangely enough, I do not feel this with the 2013 A4. Took a 2k+ mile road trip with that car last month, and never felt any thing like I feel in the S5. And both cars have the same 19" Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tires. Weird.

EDIT: 12/02/12

Had the car on the highway Friday evening for about two hours, one in Dymanic & one in Auto and did not feel that same notchiness as when in Comfort. Have another 1k mile trip coming up around Christmas & will do some more testing.
    Last edited by a5sport; 12-02-2012 at 12:34 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi allroad

The A5/S5 and 2013 Allroad share a suspension setup that is different from that of the A4.
    Steve

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

still having this problem as well. was holding off until my first service (less than 1k km to go) to have it checked out but it may be a good idea to go now by the sound of it. the problem always happens early on when driving, at random times, but clears up after some good driving so that may be why people aren't seeing it on longer trips.

Senior Member Three Rings EnigmaS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm in Maryland too please keep us posted on how this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdawson View Post
    AWESOME! Thanks for your help with furthering the cause!

By way of update, I picked up my car from the dealer last night. Dealer said they contacted Audi USA. They are aware of complaints about the steering, but will not do anything about it. Tell owners not to use the Dynamic mode in Drive Select. Dealer said they recieved this message via email. I asked for a copy of the email. Dealer declined saying that it was a proprietary communication. Dealer is now going to be named in my lawsuit against Audi just so I can get the email during the discovery process. Additionally, please note that most states have consumer protection laws that prohibit Unfair Trade Practices such as false advertising. I have re-read my owners manual and NOWHERE does it say not to use the Dynamic Steering setting. Additonally, while at the dealer last night I took pictures of the advertisements that they had displayed pushing the Drive Select system. I will be filing under Maryland's Lemon Law and under our State's consumer protection laws as well. Remedy for the Lemon Law is the manufacuter must buy back your car OR give you a new on, your choice, plus monetary damages of up to $10K. Consumer Protection laws carry moneary damages for actuals and punitives. Check your State's laws or consult an attorney! Most of this information will be found on your State's Attorney General's website.

Good luck!

Senior Member Three Rings SixShifter's Avatar
    AZ Member #

just out of curiosity ... which Baltimore dealership are u dealing with?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I've noticed a slight vagueness to my steering as well (2013 S5). However, my experience has been the opposite of what is mentioned above concerning the drive select mode. For me Dynamic > Auto > Comfort. I leave mine in Dynamic because it is the mode that seems the most connected. I only have about 750 miles so far though, so we'll see if something changes in the coming weeks.

Senior Member Two Rings spl1011's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a '13 allroad (no drive select) with almost 5k miles and have noticed the notchy steering for a while now.
    I sometimes feel it during a long turn too, such as a big cloverleaf onramp, etc, not just at center.
    My 5k service appt is on Monday and I have already given a heads up to my dealership that I have this issue.

It doesnt matter if its a 6 minute or 6 hour drive, it still happens, so it has nothing to do with the car warming up. It feels awful when it happens!

I want to say that the road surface has an influence as to the severity, but I cant really find a common demominator to get it to get better or worse.

I think they tuned the electric steering for the A4 but not for the A5 and A4 Allroad's wider track.

If the dealer visit isn't able to correct anything (which they most likely wont), then I will be calling AOA to complain. I might start looking into WA state lemon laws as well along with writing letters to JD Power (already sent in my survey), Consumer Reports, or anyone else that may want to listen (social media too...) until AOA addresses the problem.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi allroad

I had my Allroad at the dealer yesterday for the 5K service and had them look at the steering issue. They felt it, contacted Audi but Audi claimed they didn't know of a problem. The recommended solution was to replace the steering rack, which of course is on backorder. I was told it was still safe to drive but they offered me a loaner in the meantime - I declined.
    Steve

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Mine has gotten much worse over the past 1500 miles (now at about 2200 miles).

The steering has gotten very twitchy. Any imperfection in the road, whether it is a crack or just a slight dip, jerks the steering wheel.

I'm going to get it checked out when I bring the car in for the 5k service.

AZ Member #

I am having the same issues as well. Hard to keep it perfectly straight and as you turn it notches along rather than sweeping. Sometimes it is fine so I hate to take it to the dealer and not be able to recreate the issue. It's also worse at times, usually the colder it is out. Hopefully they will figure out an electronic update to fix this because other than that the car is great!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 S5, '08 A4
    Items for Sale

I had my Allroad at the dealer yesterday for the 5K service and had them look at the steering issue. They felt it, contacted Audi but Audi claimed they didn't know of a problem. The recommended solution was to replace the steering rack, which of course is on backorder. I was told it was still safe to drive but they offered me a loaner in the meantime - I declined.
    so are you getting the steering rack replaced or did you decline the replacement offer?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi allroad

The offer I declined was the loaner car. The rack will be replaced whenever they get the part in.
    Steve

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 S5, '08 A4
    Items for Sale

The offer I declined was the loaner car. The rack will be replaced whenever they get the part in.
    got it
    can't wait to hear the result - please keep us posted

Deactivated Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lots of spiders.

After a long trip over Christmas, I can say that it only feels strange in Comfort Mode on the highway. Dynamic & Auto feel fine. Not going to do anything about it, unless the notchiness gets worse. I can deal with it for now. Have a 2k+ trip coming up in March, try different modes then as well.

Senior Member Three Rings SixShifter's Avatar
    AZ Member #

In mid December I started on a trip to Texas, and as soon as I entered the PA Turnpike below Harrisburg I started noticing this phenomenon. The early morning temps were near 30 degrees, and I just attributed this to the cold weather. At the time, the car had less than 1800 miles on it. After returing from my 3300 mile trip, it seems to me the problem is more noticeable when the temps are colder, but cannot discount this being a permanent condition. One caveat ... I had the car in Comfort mode the entire time. I think its time to change the steering setting to Auto/Dynamic and see if this makes any difference ... better, worse, or no difference at all.

Registered Member Four Rings DinB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ibis White RS5
    Factory: Nav., B&O, Sport exhaust, and Steel mesh/piano black trim

Aftermarket: 20" Ti OEM wheels, 20% tint, v8 badges, dynamat in the rear parcel, Infinity Basslink sub, OEM silver tips, OEM alu-optic)

To Do: (2014: folding mirrors, KW HAS springs, spacers)

"When the cat man speaks, you listen!" - Mops

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi allroad

I don't think the problem is temperature related. Also, I don't have Dynamic Steering so that isn't part of it.
    Steve

AZ Member #

My 2013 A5 is at the dealer right now witht this same issue. Will post results once I hear from dealer.

AZ Member #

Mine happens in all modes and also seems to be more noticeable when it is colder out. Below 30. I have just over 1,000mi on the car. Would be interested to hear what the dealers are telling people.

AZ Member #

Yes, I have a 2013 (US) A5 2.0TFSI tip. 8K miles. I JUST started noticing this on a long trip on the freeway going about 70mph. tick/click/notch center steering. Constant steering input ticks in center going both left and right. Makes it hard to keep car straight. On a non-electronic steering cars the U-joints could be the culprit. Dont think it's the Control arms....

Had previously had the steering wheel update so that's not the fix. I normally drive on terrible roads through Los Angeles so didnt notice this issue at first...
    It's such an annoying issue but I just don't have the time to take it in for this issue! Audi I hate you right now.

Anyone know if this kind of problem qualifies for lemon law in California? How many times does the dealer need to attempt to fix this kind of issue to have a clear case? heard it depends on the severity of the issue (brake failure = 1-2 time, one headlight failure 2-3 times, etc...)

AZ Member #

Yes, I have a 2013 (US) A5 2.0TFSI tip. 8K miles. I JUST started noticing this on a long trip on the freeway going about 70mph. tick/click/notch center steering. Constant steering input ticks in center going both left and right. Makes it hard to keep car straight. On a non-electronic steering cars the U-joints could be the culprit. Dont think it's the Control arms....

Had previously had the steering wheel update so that's not the fix. I normally drive on terrible roads through Los Angeles so didnt notice this issue at first...
    It's such an annoying issue but I just don't have the time to take it in for this issue! Audi I hate you right now.

Anyone know if this kind of problem qualifies for lemon law in California? How many times does the dealer need to attempt to fix this kind of issue to have a clear case? heard it depends on the severity of the issue (brake failure = 1-2 time, one headlight failure 2-3 times, etc...)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kenglehardt View Post
    My 2013 A5 is at the dealer right now witht this same issue. Will post results once I hear from dealer.
    The response from the dealer was same as others posted here. Steering rack needs to be replaced. Although they said 7-10 days to get the part from Audi Germany, it arrived today. The car is at the dealer now & they're replacing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast