Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Dynamic headlight dimmer control not functioning - Please help!!!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just got my 2002 Audi A4 back from my mechanic. He doesn't specialize in VW/Audi but fixes the basic stuff. I got him to fix the windshield fluid tank as winter is coming. He had to take the headlight and bumper off to access it. This caused the Dynamic headlight dimmer control not functioning sensor message to come up. We took off both sensors which looked find, cleaned the contacts and put them back in. This did not clear the message. I also noticed that the right xenon headlight is now pointing down. I've tried researching this before posting but could not find a definite answer. Most people say that the sensor is popped out but this is not the case. I've also read that a vag-com can reset the range and change it to "learned" and clear the code is the only fix. I've contacted a guy with a vag-com but he isn't familiar with this. I really don't want to go the stealership to charge me $100 just to clear a code. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Senior Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

You mean headlight level co trol? There's no dimmer.

You need to reinitialize it using vcds. Or take it to a dealer. What sensor were you cleaning? The level sensor is a blue plastic arm attached to the lower control arm...
    -CP
    USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - 034 Rear Swaybar (Soft Setting) and Endlinks - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yes the headlight level control. In the owners manual the symbol on the dash is called "Dynamic headlight dimmer control not functioning". Yes I cleaned the sensor this is attached to the left lower control arm. What exactly has to be changed on the vcds?

Senior Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

-CP
    USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - 034 Rear Swaybar (Soft Setting) and Endlinks - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks Charles. This is a huge help. It says to manually adjust the headlight for it to work. Have any idea how to do this? Thanks.

Veteran Member Three Rings a4audi4fun's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MY08 B7 2.0T Avant 6MTQS S-Line, 05 B6 3.0 6MTQS

http://a4mods.com/index.php?page=web...tml&category=6

Combine the info from the wiki link and this one. Once in learning mode, manually adjust the headlight levels by turning the adjustment screws on the headlights themselves. Once set, take out of learning mode and you should be set. I have done this with my B6 3.0 and it's straight forward and doesn't take more than 5 mins per side to complete.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    Morning,

Looks like that link is no longer working and I really need the info. I have the Dynamic Headlight Dimmer Control warning light on on my 2004 Audi Allroad and need to clear the code. We recently removed one of the headlight assemblies due to mositure inside the lens and now the light is on. Not sure how to reset and cant get to the dealership anytime soon. Please help!

Veteran Member Three Rings a4audi4fun's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MY08 B7 2.0T Avant 6MTQS S-Line, 05 B6 3.0 6MTQS

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...Dynamic_Light)

Try this link - I was told the A4 & A6 pages have been merged for this module/function
    Last edited by a4audi4fun; 12-31-2012 at 07:59 PM.