Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Veteran Member Four Rings inNout's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Response from AoA:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Audi Customer Experience Center regarding your 2010 Audi A4. I understand you are seeking to know if Audi of America has a plan to redesign the iPod/iPhone cable to accommodate the new iPhone 5. I am happy to send you the information you requested.

There is no set schedule for releasing updated Bluetooth compatibility phone information on AudiUSA.com; however, you may go to our website at www.audiusa.com/bluetooth where you may check the compatibility of various cell phones and iPods. There are many phones released each year and each new and existing phone receives multiple software updates a year, Audi of America does its very best to stay up to date and current in cell phone and Bluetooth technology. I hope this information is helpful to you.
    2010 B8 2.0T 6spd + [Rays, APR, Eisenmann, Bastuck, Eurocode, KW, OSIR, StopTech] + IND

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Emergency: when is iPhone 5 cable (lightning connector) coming out for MMI?

So my car gets here in November, however I was able to take the lighting cable and plug my iPhone 5 into a 2011 Subaru Outback USB port and I had the same experience just like my gen3 iPod. I had full control as well as artist display, song, etc...now if the Japanese can get this right, I am hoping Audi can as well without having to resort to using Bluetooth...

I have no idea what iPod out function it uses, but certainly audio and control was there'll my guess is it is analog...

Veteran Member Four Rings DannyDeez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 S5 Coupe
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by wcoyne View Post
    If your phone is plugged up in the glove box to the connector you can see artist, albums and tracks on the mmi interface without using the phone to view.
    I know that, but thats not what I was talking about. I was replying to what "NPuter" said about not being able to control the phone with the MMI system while streaming music via bluetooth. While streaming with bluetooth you can in fact control whats playing with the volume knob thats located near the shifter. Clicking the knob down will pause/play the music, and pushing it left or right will skip tracks. Thats pretty much all you can do without it being connected via the glovebox. And the glovebox connector only displays information from apple products(iphone, ipod). It doesnt show anything from android phones because it uses the aux(headphone jack).
    For any work in the tri state area go to Eurotech Motorsports!

2013 Phantom Black S5, 6 Speed, Prem plus, Navigation, B&O, Advanced key, some mods

2001.5 Nogaro S4 6 Speed (Sold)

Senior Member Four Rings well_armed's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post
    So my car gets here in November, however I was able to take the lighting cable and plug my iPhone 5 into a 2011 Subaru Outback USB port and I had the same experience just like my gen3 iPod. I had full control as well as artist display, song, etc...now if the Japanese can get this right, I am hoping Audi can as well without having to resort to using Bluetooth...

I have no idea what iPod out function it uses, but certainly audio and control was there'll my guess is it is analog...
    Funny, my 2013 S4 comes in November and I too drive a 2010 Subaru outback 3.6R limited. Looks like we both were looking for a little more excitement! :lol:

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Roush 427R

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDeez View Post
    I know that, but thats not what I was talking about. I was replying to what "NPuter" said about not being able to control the phone with the MMI system while streaming music via bluetooth. While streaming with bluetooth you can in fact control whats playing with the volume knob thats located near the shifter. Clicking the knob down will pause/play the music, and pushing it left or right will skip tracks. Thats pretty much all you can do without it being connected via the glovebox. And the glovebox connector only displays information from apple products(iphone, ipod). It doesnt show anything from android phones because it uses the aux(headphone jack).
    Sorry I misunderstood
    2012 S4 "gone"
    See Ya Audi

Active Member One Ring ddigangi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by yas View Post
    First World Emergency.
    This^ Haha

I'd get yourself an adaptor until something else is figured out by Audi or both of the companies together.
    Webpreneur, creative and automotive nut inspiring #success. Inspired to achieve great things. Technology connoisseur. Marketing professional.

@ddigangi

Veteran Member Four Rings DannyDeez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 S5 Coupe
    Items for Sale

Re: Emergency: when is iPhone 5 cable (lightning connector) coming out for MMI?

Quote Originally Posted by wcoyne View Post
    Sorry I misunderstood
    No biggie. I don't think my original post was very clear anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    For any work in the tri state area go to Eurotech Motorsports!

2013 Phantom Black S5, 6 Speed, Prem plus, Navigation, B&O, Advanced key, some mods

2001.5 Nogaro S4 6 Speed (Sold)

Veteran Member Four Rings NPuter's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 MBZ CLK350 Cab/'13 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Re: Emergency: when is iPhone 5 cable (lightning connector) coming out for MMI?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDeez View Post
    I should have been more clear. I know you can play/pause/skip/reverse when Bluetooth streaming. I was referring to the full interface (artist, album/playlist/etc) you get with AMI.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Veteran Member Four Rings richib86's Avatar
    AZ Member #

and on the mmi 3G+ u get full video playback but I think I've found a full wireless solution that I'm working on
    Quote Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
    I should have been more clear. I know you can play/pause/skip/reverse when Bluetooth streaming. I was referring to the full interface (artist, album/playlist/etc) you get with AMI.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    2014 S4, 6MT, phantom black, Black/Magma leather, carbon trim, B&O, NAV, sport diff, alu-optics, black optic grill, Kivic one wireless mirroring, P3 boost gauge, APR 93 flash, APR pulley, APR intake stg1+2, APR CPS v2, Miltek Valvsonic exhaust, Eurocode sways+end links, Eurocode short throw, Apikol diff mount, 034 trans mount, Brembo GT 380mm, H&R OE sport springs, HRE P43SC 19x9.5 tinted clear finish.

Veteran Member Four Rings cory_can's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    (Very) Red B8 Avant, '13 Q5 3.0T SLine, '15 28' Airstream

more info on lighting and (one) reason for the auth chip inside the connector itself.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...reversible_use
    Show, Goooo! and low*

* (when I feel like it)

Currently (K04).....12.87@105.6 on pump
    w/ "K03" on pump 13.59@99.25

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PitchS4 View Post
    OP: Emergency? Really? You need to get out more.
    LOL!!! +1
    2013 Q5 | Ibis White | MMI Navigation Plus
    MODS: 20 x 9" Titanium Replica Wheels | 265/45/20 Hankook | H&R Sport Springs | 6000K HID Headlights & Fog Lights

2013 S4 | Ibis White | MMI Navigation Plus
    MODS: Injen Intake FOR SALE (PM ME)

Established Member Two Rings zamm3k's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
    more info on lighting and (one) reason for the auth chip inside the connector itself.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...reversible_use
    Great. So basically you have to buy directly from Apple. (for now)

Veteran Member Four Rings cory_can's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    (Very) Red B8 Avant, '13 Q5 3.0T SLine, '15 28' Airstream

^ it looks like generic charge cables will work but data cables rely on the auth chip for pin assignment.
    Show, Goooo! and low*

* (when I feel like it)

Currently (K04).....12.87@105.6 on pump
    w/ "K03" on pump 13.59@99.25

AZ Member #

god dammit, my dot matrix printer cable wont work now that I upgraded from my apple 2c!

Established Member Two Rings nikatrel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by adamkb26 View Post
    Some on this board complain about apple business tactics getting as much money as they can yet still buy luxury cars? Ok...

Apple makes great products. Not sure if there's any legit argument against that.
    Thank you! ...We do all drive Audis people, not 20 year old Hondas. Buy a $30 cable and shutup.
    Nick - Extremely busy law school student
    2009 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Premium (APR Stage II, EC HFIC, EC Test Pipe, EC DV Valve, K&N Intake) [35% / Debaged & Dipped / H&R Sports / Vag-Com]

Established Member Two Rings skyleranelson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Ducati 848

Quote Originally Posted by jedirocker View Post
    Yes, but sell your car and find one that is iPhone 5 compatible. It is the only way.
    HAHAHA best comment on here
    Current: 2013 Audi Phantom Black S4 Prestige - H&R OE Springs - Miro 19" Type 111 - 20% Tint <br />
    Garage: 2012 Ducati 848

Veteran Member Four Rings UmIsThisThingOn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1954 Deluxe Sunroof Volkswagen

Quote Originally Posted by nikatrel View Post
    Thank you! ...We do all drive Audis people, not 20 year old Hondas. Buy a $19 cable and shutup.
    Fixed.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Senior Member Three Rings Maximum's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    My lounge

Quote Originally Posted by nikatrel View Post
    Thank you! ...We do all drive Audis people, not 20 year old Hondas. Buy a $30 cable and shutup.
    Hey!!! I drive a 13 year old Honda! Well I have a 13 year old Honda.
    2012 S4 Prestige, Monsoon Grey, STaSIS exhaust/springs, APR Stage II+, RS grill, RS shifter knob, Roc-Euro intake, Ziza LEDs, CREE W16W Reverse LEDs. RS6 flat bottom wheel, MMI 3G+, P3 Cars guage, Passport mirror radar, LI, 034 trans mount & end links

2012 Q5 2.0T Blaze Orange Matte Metallic, STaSIS Tune, exhaust & 20x10 rims, RS grill, 2013 lights, LED interior, ACCUAIR B8 Sports suspension

2003 A4 Avant 1.8T silver

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

All,
    I have a 2012 Audi A6 and had a similar issue. I ordered an adapter cable from apple, and it solved my delema.

The apple Lightning to 30-pin Adapter cable (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...n-adapter-02-m) works fine with the MMI iphone cable and the Iphone 5. I was able to control my phone and playlists just like before through the MMI interface. At first I didn't get sound, so here's what I did - Once connected, and your device has been selected from MMI, you may need to open "music" on the Iphone 5. It will indicate it is connected but you may need to hit the "airplay" button on your screen and select "dock connector" to get sound. I've found that once the setting is made, it will remember it for future connections to your phone.

I assume the lightning connector will work the same as the adapter cable - but i've always been a little peeved that the Audi MMI connector was so short - so the apple adapter cable gave me just enough of an extension so I can look at the phone once its connected (and yes, text or check emails at red lights)

Hope that helps!

AZ Member #

I just got the 30pin adapter and tested on a 2013 S4, works perfect folks no worries, control from wheel and panel

AZ Member #

we covered this a few days ago in my mmi conversion thread
    I just got the 30pin adapter and tested on a 2013 S4, works perfect folks no worries, control from wheel and panel
    2014 S4, 6MT, phantom black, Black/Magma leather, carbon trim, B&O, NAV, sport diff, alu-optics, black optic grill, Kivic one wireless mirroring, P3 boost gauge, APR 93 flash, APR pulley, APR intake stg1+2, APR CPS v2, Miltek Valvsonic exhaust, Eurocode sways+end links, Eurocode short throw, Apikol diff mount, 034 trans mount, Brembo GT 380mm, H&R OE sport springs, HRE P43SC 19x9.5 tinted clear finish.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by richib86 View Post
    we covered this a few days ago in my mmi conversion thread
    What did you cover?

AZ Member #

the lightning adapter works with everything but video out

AZ Member #

the lightning adapter works with everything but video out
    It was never in the spec, why would you think it would? Audi magic, lol..

AZ Member #

It was never in the spec, why would you think it would? Audi magic, lol..
    huh? lol

AZ Member #

huh? lol
    Video out was never in Apple's lightning spec

AZ Member #

oh i know that but figured id try because apple also claimed NO ipod out initially, so i REALLY hoped the video out was a misprint too lol
    Video out was never in Apple's lightning spec

AZ Member #

oh i know that but figured id try because apple also claimed NO ipod out initially, so i REALLY hoped the video out was a misprint too lol
    Do you know what iPod out even is? And where did Apple claim this vs. the various bloggers?

Host/device digital control and iAP is what should matter...

AZ Member #

initially when the adapters went up on their website for pre-orders, it said no ipod out support, that then changed to just no video out support

AZ Member #

initially when the adapters went up on their website for pre-orders, it said no ipod out support, that then changed to just no video out support
    And it does not have "iPod out" support, this is a specific feature and subset of iAP that allowed for video out control and the mirrored Apple interface that certain device integrators implemented, like BMWs iDrive, so that is accurate that "iPod out" is not supported with the new interface. Apple likely removed reference to it as it caused confusion with the bloggers.

Established Member Two Rings kstrike155's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I ended up buying a 3.5mm MMI cable for $13 on eBay, a Logitech Bluetooth adapter, another cigarette plug (1, 2), and a DC adapter for it (inner diameter 1.7mm, outer diameter 4.0mm).

Yeah, I have to pair my phone every time I get in the car and want to use it for bluetooth audio, but it's not that big of a deal. All-in-all, total project cost me around $75, with the added bonus that I can use it with any A2DP or 3.5mm device.
    2010 Audi S4 Premium Plus - 6spd Manual
    Quartz Gray - Carbon Fiber Dash Inlays - B&O Sound - Sports Rear Differential - 19" Peelers

AZ Member #

So this has me a bit curious. Does anybody use spotify for their music through iphone 5? specifically I'm curious if we can skip songs through the car. Sound obviously is not an issue but curious how well spotify interfaces.

Senior Member Two Rings miztahsparklez's Avatar
    AZ Member #

As in prior devices, anytime you hit the track forward button, it begins playing the iPod. Kinda sucks, but there's not much you can do really.

Veteran Member Four Rings IVRINGS's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Audi A4 1.8T K04 6-Speed, 03 Audi A4 STB 2.7TT 5-Speed

When I have paired customers car the forward track works on Pandra and jango. I have not heard/tried spotify.
    Audi Enthusiast and MAG Audi Brand Specialist

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234