Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sealant/Stop Leak for Manual Transmission and Coolant

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So, my kid is about to take off in his '97 Audi A4 1.8L Manual car to drive 1,500 miles back to school tomorrow. So, we just don't have time to do anything major to fix these problems (it's the middle of the day here on Friday before Labor Day weekend). I just discovered that he has a slow leak of coolant and the manual transmission must also be leaking as the fluid was low and I can see gear oil on the bottom of the transmission....no idea how long this has been going on, but I noticed a small 1" wide puddle of gear oil under the car after it sat overnight. So, my question is whether you think it is OK to put in White Shepherd Transmission Seal (and just leave it in there) and do you have any recommendations for a coolant leak additive for this kind of car with the G12 coolant?

Of course, he can always just stop along the way and check and add to the fluids, but I'd rather do something that was a bit more permanent.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Oh, and the car has about 119K miles on it.

Established Member Two Rings Roach-the-Great's Avatar
    AZ Member #

No it will cause more problems then it will solve just send him with a few quarts of tranny fluid an a couple gallons of water an let him fix it when he gets where he is going
    Vag-Com in southeast N.C. Need P.M. If you need you car scanned I also do work for beer and good food

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

And a floor jack, a 1/2" ratchet drive and a 17mm hex bit and some instructions from Dad. Nothing like modern back-to-school supplies. Not that it matters for this problem, but I just discovered the tranny drain plug requirement on these things.... a Triple Square 16mm socket with a security hole in the middle of it? Arghhhhh.

Veteran Member Four Rings nofearhawk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 1.8TQ

In the B6 forum, old guy used some stopleak on a small radiator coolant leak. Information can be found here:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...n-so-go-for-it!)
    1.9L GT3071r 517 trans

Mods: Eurodyne Maestro 7 / Stasis Alcon 355mm Mono6 / 034 Billet Fuel Pump 005 / Neuspeed snub mount / RS4 rear sway / Custom Magnaflow 14581 exhaust / INA adapters with FSI coilpacks / Thor Skidplate / CF S4 blades / DTH CF Roof Spoiler / RD led lp / Smoked sidemarkers / 3k HID fogs / 35% tint / Symphony II+