Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Registered User Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 A4 2 liter GT35r and trailer

Low price turbos.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Pretty sure many of you might be interested in this. Comp Turbo has added a entry level series for the CT2/CT3/CT4 with T3 or T4 exhaust housings. All of them are journal bearing, some have the billet compressor wheel while the others are a cast compressor wheel. MSRP starts at $575 to $1050.

http://www.compturbo.com/products/en...vel_series.php

Veteran Member Four Rings EErie B6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

I saw those. Is journal bearing the only difference? ...assuming it is being compared to another CTurbo with the same type of wheel.
    -John

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EErie B6 View Post
    I saw those. Is journal bearing the only difference? ...assuming it is being compared to another CTurbo with the same type of wheel.
    Yes on the ones that come with the Billet X-HF Compressor wheel, the others come with a cast compressor wheel which is what you will find on their "Standard Series" line of turbos.

They don't state if they come with the Z-HF turbine wheel so I am checking with them on that.

Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi A4 1.8tqm, 1997 Audi A8, 2000 Chevy 3500 454 w/9'2" boss vplow
    Items for Sale

well i emailed comp but maybe youd know. my turbo is starting to have decent play, and id like to try something besides garrett if i can. comp syas they got garrett replacements for gt28-30 series. so i am wondering if i can just run the comp chra for my 2871r, or better yet if i can swap my garrett wheel into the comp chra if it will work.
    "A zebra does not change its spots."- Al Gore; also, "I worked with a 14-inch pipe wrench for years and a coal shovel."

"You have to pull it out, slide it over the nipple to get it to squirt.... Nipple Squirts is what gets me there, apparently." -walky_talky20

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

When did you purchase the turbo? They have a year warranty, or you can go through the ATP replacement program for like $500 after shipping if you are out of it. That's what I did. Or mess around and see what JB billet CHRA with compressor housing they can offer for your exhaust housing. If the entire assembly costs less than $600, I wonder how much without the exhaust housing.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like the bitch

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

my turbo is used. and the whole 575 for a brand new turbo had me intigued as well, but the comp turbo replacement for garretts are just as much as the garrett units if not more. but if im gonna pay full price for a chra, id like to try something new. if i had it my way, id try the comp chra cermaic bearing with my garrett wheel.
    "A zebra does not change its spots."- Al Gore; also, "I worked with a 14-inch pipe wrench for years and a coal shovel."

"You have to pull it out, slide it over the nipple to get it to squirt.... Nipple Squirts is what gets me there, apparently." -walky_talky20

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
    well i emailed comp but maybe youd know. my turbo is starting to have decent play, and id like to try something besides garrett if i can. comp syas they got garrett replacements for gt28-30 series. so i am wondering if i can just run the comp chra for my 2871r, or better yet if i can swap my garrett wheel into the comp chra if it will work.
    If your going to run a Comp Turbo CHRA you might as well just get one of their complete turbos with the billet compressor wheel which is going to be better then the 2871r wheel you have now.

The CT CHRA has a larger shaft then the GT so it will not fit onto the CT shaft.

my turbo is used. and the whole 575 for a brand new turbo had me intigued as well, but the comp turbo replacement for garretts are just as much as the garrett units if not more. but if im gonna pay full price for a chra, id like to try something new. if i had it my way, id try the comp chra cermaic bearing with my garrett wheel.
    If you want to go CT with the Triplex CHRA then I would suggest getting the CT2-5347 which is the same size wheels as your 2871r but it will spool quicker and make more power. If your looking for something that will give you the same spool/power then you might want to look at the 4752 or 4952.

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

but if im gonna pay full price for a chra, id like to try something new.
    With the CHRA replacement program, you don't pay full price. Brand new Garret GT2871R CHRA is like $800, and you pay like $470 before shipping if going through the program. It is basically a core discount. No proof of purchase necessary or anything. And you get a year warranty on your replacement.

The CT units outflow the GT2871R, so if you want more power the choice is rather obvious. And JB turbochargers are not all that bad with our car. It is only really notceable because you are the driver. I sat in a PTE 6262 (or something like that) B5 A4 with stock displacement, and the spool was not all that bad (passenger's seat perspective). And that thing def hauled ***.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like the bitch

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by M-Hood View Post
    If your going to run a Comp Turbo CHRA you might as well just get one of their complete turbos with the billet compressor wheel which is going to be better then the 2871r wheel you have now.

The CT CHRA has a larger shaft then the GT so it will not fit onto the CT shaft.

If you want to go CT with the Triplex CHRA then I would suggest getting the CT2-5347 which is the same size wheels as your 2871r but it will spool quicker and make more power. If your looking for something that will give you the same spool/power then you might want to look at the 4752 or 4952.

im really only interested in a chra though. i have a perfectly good turbine and compressor housing, along with a wastegate. i see no need to purchase these things again. basically, im just wondering which comp chra's, if any, will fit my 2871r. if non will work, ill have to pick up a garrett unit

AZ Member #
    My Garage

im really only interested in a chra though. i have a perfectly good turbine and compressor housing, along with a wastegate. i see no need to purchase these things again. basically, im just wondering which comp chra's, if any, will fit my 2871r. if non will work, ill have to pick up a garrett unit

Well there is way more to it then just throwing housings on a CHRA. The housing will need to be machined to fit the wheel it is going on and on the compressor housing the shape of the inside needs to match the profile of the wheel. So even if the housing fits the backing plate on the CT CHRA it doesn't mean your housings are going to have the same profile as the CT wheel even if the wheels inducer and exducer size were exactly the same. I will ask Justin at CT if they offer the turbo without a compressor housing, but your not really going to save money doing that since you will end up having to pay to get the inside of your compressor housing machined to fit the CT wheel.

If you went with a CT2/CT3 you wouldn't have to buy a new WG actuator, you wouldn't even need to buy a new exhaust housing since yours could be used which you would then just send to CT to have them fit it for their turbo.

Veteran Member Three Rings ElliottG's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 A4 1.8T, '99 Passat 1.8T
    Items for Sale

How good are these turbos in comparison to let's say, an eBay turbo? I'm guessing they're way better...just wondering what makes the prices so cheap...just the name of ex. Borg Warner, Garrett vs Comp?
    Daily: 2001 A4 1.8T | APR Stage 1 | 2.0T Coils | Build thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ect?p=76712255
    1999 Passat 1.8T | Unitronic Stage 1 |

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A4 TQMS / 1993 RX-7 R1

Comp Turbo is one of the many aftermarket turbo suppliers. Similar to Precision Turbo. Id take a Comp Turbo over an eBay any day. My personal preference is for OEM supplier brand like Garrett, BorgWarner, Mitsubishi, etc. though...

Does Comp Turbo publish compressor maps?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottG View Post
    How good are these turbos in comparison to let's say, an eBay turbo? I'm guessing they're way better...just wondering what makes the prices so cheap...just the name of ex. Borg Warner, Garrett vs Comp?

Comp Turbo is an actual USA based company that makes their turbos here. Their Entry Level turbos are cheap because they are a journal bearing and some of them are a cast wheel. Plenty of big name racers and race teams run their turbos on some pretty fast cars. They are a small company but they make really good turbos.

Their main line of turbos uses a triple ceramic ball bearing CHRA which can be done in water/oil cooled or just oil cooled (billet CHRA), they even offer a oil less CHRA which you actually pack with grease like a wheel bearing. There are a few A4 owners here on this forum that are running Comp Turbos.

A few things that are nice about the Comp Turbo is the fact that all of their turbos can be completely rebuilt and the fact that you can have the wheels changed later which means your not stuck having to sell a used turbo to end up buying a brand new one. Their CT3 and CT4 use the same backing plate for the compressor housing, which means you can always swap between those 2 different size housings.

Here is a VW VR6 FWD that runs a CT oil less turbo that runs 9's.

Do you think a team like this would put a ebay type turbo to run 6.95 in the 1/4 mile? Hell no. lol

Picture of a Supra with Twin CT4-6265's that makes 1400.
    Last edited by M-Hood; 08-21-2012 at 07:55 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nateness View Post
    Comp Turbo is one of the many aftermarket turbo suppliers. Similar to Precision Turbo. Id take a Comp Turbo over an eBay any day. My personal preference is for OEM supplier brand like Garrett, BorgWarner, Mitsubishi, etc. though...

Does Comp Turbo publish compressor maps?
    Only Garrett and Borg Warner publish compressor maps and that is because those are huge companies. But a compressor map doesn't make it better then a turbo that doesn't come with one.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A4 TQMS / 1993 RX-7 R1

A compressor map makes it easier to compare :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nateness View Post
    A compressor map makes it easier to compare :)
    Yeah I know, but look at how many more compressor wheels Comp Turbo offers vs Garrett.

Senior Member Four Rings TConklin821's Avatar
    AZ Member #

These Comp turbos, would I need a different exhaust manifold and testpipe flange?
    2001 A4 1.8TQM. Custom catless turbo back, GTRS turbo, 440 green giants, FMIC, custom tune, ECS RA4 clutch + LWFW, short throw, ST coils, 235-40-18 tires
    ^RIP^

Established Member Two Rings Roach-the-Great's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A compressor map helps you compare turbos against each other not how they will preform on your car unless your good at math know the right formulas
    Vag-Com in southeast N.C. Need P.M. If you need you car scanned I also do work for beer and good food

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TConklin821 View Post
    These Comp turbos, would I need a different exhaust manifold and testpipe flange?
    No if you are already running a T25/T3/T4 setup. Some could even be put into a Elim housing with some machine work to the Elim housing to make it fit.

Comp Turbo has done plenty of hybrid K03/K04 setups for the S4 2.7t owners, most of them just don't say who modified their turbo for them.

From the Comp Turbo web site
    OEM Upgrade Service

Comp Turbo offers upgrade services for specific OEM turbocharger brands. An upgrade service consists a new higher flowing compressor wheel and remanufacturing service. For specific applications we offer billet compressor wheel upgrades.
    Some people might know this but Comp Turbo is now also offering some extended tip design compressor wheels, but not in any sizes that anyone here would be looking to run (well maybe Aaron).

Established Member Two Rings Stranger's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Mike a ct3-5556 with billet wheel is pretty close to a 2871r right? What size a/r would you recommend for fairly quick spooling on a generic 2871r tune?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Mike a ct3-5556 with billet wheel is pretty close to a 2871r right? What size a/r would you recommend for fairly quick spooling on a generic 2871r tune?
    in terms of power? its going to be more like a 3076.
    -John

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    The CT-5556 is actually bigger then a 2871r when it comes to wheel sizes, the 2871r is a 5347 and the CT3-5556 actually has larger wheels then a 3071r(53mm compressor wheel). As for spool up the 5556 should be pretty close to a 2871r or just slightly later but sooner then a GT3071r. Andrew with the white B5 A4 runs a CT-5356 T25 triplex and that spools just slightly later then his GT28R he used to have.

I would suggest going a .63 a/r or a .48 if you want it to spool up sooner and not really worried about peak hp.

in terms of power? its going to be more like a 3076.
    Yes because the 5556 is rated at 520 hp or basically 52 lbs/min which is the same flow rating a GT3076r has.

Veteran Member Four Rings A1 A2 German's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi 4 B5 & 1970 CL175
    Items for Sale

The exact replacement to the GT2871R is the CT2 4947, only available with the billet wheel.

However, is not part of the Entry Level Series.
    Having a bucket that runs 10's is like saying you have a 200lb girlfriend but she's good in bed.

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiA4_20T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '04 A4 Cabby
    Items for Sale

Hey Mike, if I didn't know better, I'd say you almost sound like a salesman
    - Clint

Newest: 04 DG B6 Cabby 1.8T - stock forever
    Gone: White '04 S4 2.7T - Stage 2+
    Gone : Fastest B6 A4 ever - 464awhp/12.1@116
    Gone : 05 DG B7 2.0TQ - Stage 1

Not a fan of the AZ Classifieds? Tell Anthony here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...assifieds-suck

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4_20T View Post
    Hey Mike, if I didn't know better, I'd say you almost sound like a salesman

If I didn't know better, I would say you sound like a stalker.

Just giving people info about something they might not know about. If you have a problem with people passing on info then you might want to log off the forums.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1 A2 German View Post
    The exact replacement to the GT2871R is the CT2 4947, only available with the billet wheel.

However, is not part of the Entry Level Series.
    Correct but the CT2-4947 will spool up quicker. The CT2-4947 can be ordered in a Journal Bearing CHRA but will cost more then something that size in the entry level line.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well looks like Comp Turbo just added something new, they now offer a ported shroud compressor housing for the CT2 and CT3 lineup.
    http://www.compturbo.com/spotlights/ct2-ct3-antisurge

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

my comp ct4 5858 billet wheel is pretty legit. spools 15 psi at 4k rpm on a 2 liter and pulls really hard and boost comes on really fast. Pretty good for a JB. Can't wait to tune it for 30 psi. Def no regrets.

the guys that bought comp turbos, I was running a -4an line with no restrictor and the 06a fresh bottom end produced too much oil pressure for it. some oil made it past the seals and smoke come out of the exhaust on cold start ups. Running a .063 or so restrictor now with no smoking issues anymore. My engine at cold was over 100 psi of oil pressure so just be careful and make sure you have proper feed and drain.
    2001 A4 Avant 2.0t comp CT4 5858 Maestro Tune
    2012 Volkswagen CC TSI 6 speed.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
    my comp ct4 5858 billet wheel is pretty legit. spools 15 psi at 4k rpm on a 2 liter and pulls really hard and boost comes on really fast. Pretty good for a JB. Can't wait to tune it for 30 psi. Def no regrets.

the guys that bought comp turbos, I was running a -4an line with no restrictor and the 06a fresh bottom end produced too much oil pressure for it. some oil made it past the seals and smoke come out of the exhaust on cold start ups. Running a .063 or so restrictor now with no smoking issues anymore. My engine at cold was over 100 psi of oil pressure so just be careful and make sure you have proper feed and drain.

On our engine it is a must to run a oil restrictor with either a CT Jornal Bearing or Triplex. Just best to get it with the turbo.

Veteran Member Three Rings aaronamerica's Avatar
    AZ Member #

as of right now I'm still happy with my lil hp but sooner or later I want to upgrade to something bigger, I'd like to produce a comfortable 500-600awhp with e85

what turbo would be best for that and is it possible to achieve this with stock aeb cams and head?
    1998 Audi A4 built 1.8t Quattro--Eurodyne Maestro---870cc tune---Custom Elim Gt3076---on E85 Gas---044 Bosch Drop in fuel pump---Street tuned by me---402awhp 387tq---12.1@118mph on 19" wheels

2003 Audi Avant 1.8t Quattro 5speed--Eurodyne Maestro---gt2871--- On E85 gas--- 630cc injectors--19" Staggered iForged Daytona wheels

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Mike

Would CT be able to make a CT5556 X-HF billet compressor fit a 0.64 T25 flange turbine housing?

Reason why I ask is because I already have a psiconcepts T25 manifold and prefer to keep cost down.

If I get rid of the psi manifold/kit, I'll very likely go with RAI's T3 red label manifold/kit.

edit: when you guys mentioned 56mm on the turbine wheel, are you guys referring to the minor(inducer) or major(exducer)?
    Last edited by spindoctor; 08-23-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Established Member Two Rings Roach-the-Great's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hey mike would like a bit of advice looking to get a bit more power don't wanna go BT on my DD cause I don't wanna lose my lisence again I'm looking for no more then 250-300hp would like to stick closer to the 250hp range which turbo would you suggest and what would be a good manifold to bolt it to again not looking for anything insane

Thanks in advance for your help
    Vag-Com in southeast N.C. Need P.M. If you need you car scanned I also do work for beer and good food

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    Mike

Would CT be able to make a CT5556 X-HF billet compressor fit a 0.64 T25 flange turbine housing?

Reason why I ask is because I already have a psiconcepts T25 manifold and prefer to keep cost down.

If I get rid of the psi manifold/kit, I'll very likely go with RAI's T3 red label manifold/kit.

edit: when you guys mentioned 56mm on the turbine wheel, are you guys referring to the minor(inducer) or major(exducer)?
    Comp Turbo uses the measurement of the smallest part of the wheel for both sides, so the inducer on the compressor side and the exducer on the turbine side. Basically the part of the wheel that is visible with the housing on. So a CT 62 exhaust wheel is basically the same size as a Garrett GT 68mm inducer turbine wheel. This is why nearly all of the turbos on the CT2-RS have a 47mm turbine wheel which is basically the same size as the GT28RS which has a 53.9mm inducer turbine wheel.

Yes they can fit the CT2-5556 into a T25 housing, they can actually fit up to a 58mm since the largest T25 housing CT2-RS they offer is a 5858.

BTW the Major is always the part of the blade nearest the backing plate. So on a compressor wheel that would be the exducer while on the turbine wheel it is the inducer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-the-Great View Post
    Hey mike would like a bit of advice looking to get a bit more power don't wanna go BT on my DD cause I don't wanna lose my lisence again I'm looking for no more then 250-300hp would like to stick closer to the 250hp range which turbo would you suggest and what would be a good manifold to bolt it to again not looking for anything insane

Thanks in advance for your help
    For that power I would stick with something like a Frankenturbo which will make right round 230whp and uses a stock type manifold. If you want to go T25 housing setup then I would suggest a PSI manifold or RAI manifold with a Comp Turbo CT2-RS 4247 or 4447, those are rated at 330hp and 370hp.
    Last edited by M-Hood; 08-23-2012 at 11:19 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

Mike,

I was looking on a Comp dealer's website and saw a CT2-5152. Do you know what Comp rates that turbo for?
    -John

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Mike,

I was looking on a Comp dealer's website and saw a CT2-5152. Do you know what Comp rates that turbo for?

Right around 530hp - 540hp.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronamerica View Post
    as of right now I'm still happy with my lil hp but sooner or later I want to upgrade to something bigger, I'd like to produce a comfortable 500-600awhp with e85

what turbo would be best for that and is it possible to achieve this with stock aeb cams and head?
    For that type of power I would suggest a 5860 or larger.

I dont think those numbers can be reached on the stock cams.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

Quote Originally Posted by M-Hood View Post
    Right around 530hp - 540hp.
    That is kinda what i figured looking at the Comp website trying to get a feel for it... Then I look at the 5556 which is rated at 540hp... 4mm larger compressor and turbine and no powergain? did they under rate the 5556? or are they over estimating their smaller ones?
    -John

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That is kinda what i figured looking at the Comp website trying to get a feel for it... Then I look at the 5556 which is rated at 540hp... 4mm larger compressor and turbine and no powergain? did they under rate the 5556? or are they over estimating their smaller ones?
    Pretty much all of their turbos are under rated, on their site they rate the 5556 at 540 for a 2 liter or larger displacement. Their HP ratings are just a 1:1 based on what the compressor wheel will flow, so the 55mm compressor wheel will flow 54 lbs/min. The size of the exhaust wheel is going to have an effect on if that flow will be reached based on if it is the right size for the displacement of the engine.

The thing is that CT offers such a large amount of different size wheels that the difference between the next one up/down gets really small. This way the right turbo can be used to fit perfectly for the customers needs.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

think a properly supported 5152 could surpass the 400awhp mark?

(goal being earliest boost possible and still break the 400awhp)

...or do you have a better suggestion?
    -John

AZ Member #
    My Garage

think a properly supported 5152 could surpass the 400awhp mark?

(goal being earliest boost possible and still break the 400awhp)

...or do you have a better suggestion?

Yes seeing that it flows more air then the 3071/3076 and A4 owners have been able to get 400whp out of those 2 turbos. The 4952 might be too small to reach 400whp.

Other option would be to go with a larger compressor wheel and smaller exhaust wheel like the 5347, but the problem with that is that you will max out the exhaust side well before you max out the compressor wheel and this will cause the manifold pressure to be much higher which will reduce the flow out of the cylinders.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

do you know anyone running one on a 1.8? any idea about where it spools up for them? or what you could compare the spool up to?
    -John

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast