Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Problem with AudiConnect WiFi access point

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi;
    I picked up my 2013 S4 on Friday; trying to configure AudiConnect and having a problem - any help would be appreciated.

I changed the WiFi SSID information and password - I can still connect from any of the devices I've tested with. However, the WiFi DHCPD server gives our 192.168.2.x DNS addresses, which I'm pretty sure is wrong - it hands out 192.168.1.10x addresses for devices. None of the devices can connect to anything unless I manually change the DNS address (I've tried Google's public server - 8.8.8.8) - then it works. I think this is a bit out of my dealer's technical area (network troubleshooting), but I can't find anything on Audiusa.com.

Does the AudiConnect internet connection work for anyone ? What DNS IP addresses do you get ?

Any advice would be appreciated; thanks !

Veteran Member Four Rings NWS4Guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Range Rover Evoque 2010 Audi S4

If the WAP and Connect are setup correctly, it should all be seamless. Doesn't really matter what address range within the 192.168.x.x scope it chooses to hand out, if the clients are getting an IP you are good.
    However, if the scope looks different than it used to be, the connection issue sounds to me like a possible default gateway issue. Can you give me an "/ipcongif all" from a Command DOS window of a connected client? I can tell you if anything looks amiss on the config from the router.

Neal
    Network Architect/Engineer
    Like a surgeon with a scalpel, my S4 is a precision instrument, with which I carve and dissect my way through traffic.

2010 S4 Prem+, Quartz Gray, S-tronic, Sport Diff, B&O, Nav, Gray Birch
    StopTech ST-60 BBK - Stratmosphere intake - APR v2.2 Stage 2 w/pulley + exhaust, v2 Coolant System
    Alu-Kreuz, Apikol rear diff mount, 034 transmission mount

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hi;
    WAP is setup correctly - I can connect to my SSID using the password I specified, and I get an address, gateway, and DNS. I'm assuming Connect is setup correctly - the Google Earth maps come through ok, and I'm not getting any error. However, even though the iPad shows that it's connected to the SSID, I can't bring up google.com. I go to network setup, change the DNS from 192.168.2.X to 8.8.8.8, and then I can browse successfully - but I don't want to (and shouldn't have to) do that.
    I will go home and get the exact addresses later tonight.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pengoe View Post
    Hi;
    WAP is setup correctly - I can connect to my SSID using the password I specified, and I get an address, gateway, and DNS. I'm assuming Connect is setup correctly - the Google Earth maps come through ok, and I'm not getting any error. However, even though the iPad shows that it's connected to the SSID, I can't bring up google.com. I go to network setup, change the DNS from 192.168.2.X to 8.8.8.8, and then I can browse successfully - but I don't want to (and shouldn't have to) do that.
    I will go home and get the exact addresses later tonight.
    Is the DHCP service that is part of anyconnect configurable? The DNS address provided by DHCP so i'm guessing there is a way to edit the DHCP config and tell it to give out a valid address.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

That's what I'm hoping for - but can't seem to find a place to configure it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc31337 View Post
    Is the DHCP service that is part of anyconnect configurable? The DNS address provided by DHCP so i'm guessing there is a way to edit the DHCP config and tell it to give out a valid address.
    That should never be a static configuration, it should be dynamic as well so that whatever DNS server(s) the internet provider wants given is presented when the WAP get's it's external IP address, which will just be handed off to the internal DHCP clients in turn. Making it static means asking for trouble should the DNS server(s) listed be taken offline for maintenance, DoS attacks, etc.
    Like a surgeon with a scalpel, my S4 is a precision instrument, with which I carve and dissect my way through traffic.

StopTech ST-60 BBK - Stratmosphere intake - APR v2.2 Stage 2 w/pulley + exhaust, v2 Coolant System

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Ok, more info - when I connect, I am given an IP address of 192.168.1.110; subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, default router of 192.168.1.1 and DNS of 192.168.2.100 and 192.168.2.101. Broadcast is 192.168.1.255. I can ssh out to a host by IP - works fine; when I try by name, does not work. This leads me to believe that my DNS servers are not working, yet I can't find out how to change them in the DHCP scope (ie: server side).

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ok, more info - when I connect, I am given an IP address of 192.168.1.110; subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, default router of 192.168.1.1 and DNS of 192.168.2.100 and 192.168.2.101. Broadcast is 192.168.1.255. I can ssh out to a host by IP - works fine; when I try by name, does not work. This leads me to believe that my DNS servers are not working, yet I can't find out how to change them in the DHCP scope (ie: server side).

This all looks fine, the Wifi router is holding the DNS it's given from the internet provider, and posting those as 192.168.2.100 and .101, those are just to have them on the inside of the NAT layer, though they are in another subnet which techically should not be the case. They should also reside in the 192.168.1.xxx network, as the mask tells you this is a /24, meaning that the client network is 192.168.1 through 192.168.1.254, as you said your broadcast address is the end of that scope at 1.255.

Can you connect to the Wifi access point for configuraiton? It should also be the default gateway of 192.168.1.1, though it will likely have a password to access it, I assume you have this since you have changed SSID. From there you should be able to tinker with whatever you want, there is no setting for DNS under the WAN connection (this would be the internet facing side of the wireless adapter) or the DHCP area of this router?
    Last edited by NWS4Guy; 08-15-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '08 RDX

As Neil noticed, your DNS address is on a different subnet. Your device can't can't translate internet names to IP addresses as it can't access the dns to do the conversion. Now I know squat about how the AudiConnect works, but either it or your device is publishing this dns address, and it's on the wrong subnet. You obviously have a working IP address and router, as you're able to get to IP addresses directly. Afraid I can't help more as I don't know the AudiConnect screens.
    2011 Meteor Grey 6MT Revo Stage 1

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Oddly enough, I actually used to do this for a living ;-) I was thinking there should be an easy autoconfig option - how many S4 owners are also network engineers in their spare time - so I was looking for the easy way out. I will try connecting to the AP itself, but I have to believe I'm not the only one dealing with this.

Thanks for all the advice - I'll try it tonight and let everyone know.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Oddly enough, I actually used to do this for a living ;-) I was thinking there should be an easy autoconfig option - how many S4 owners are also network engineers in their spare time - so I was looking for the easy way out. I will try connecting to the AP itself, but I have to believe I'm not the only one dealing with this.

Good to know your comfort and expertise, you should be able to make easy sense of things then, I am flying blind here, as I don't have Connect in my car (obviously) so I am just going based on the triage you are providing

Veteran Member Four Rings Leor604's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NWS4Guy View Post
    This all looks fine, the Wifi router is holding the DNS it's given from the internet provider, and posting those as 192.168.2.100 and .101, those are just to have them on the inside of the NAT layer, though they are in another subnet which techically should not be the case. They should also reside in the 192.168.1.xxx network, as the mask tells you this is a /24, meaning that the client network is 192.168.1 through 192.168.1.254, as you said your broadcast address is the end of that scope at 1.255.
    Yeah, that's what I was about to say
    | 2011 S4 | Premium (Canada) | Quartz | Black Nappa | 6MT | ADS | Nav | B&O | SPO goodies |

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '08 RDX

There's at least 3 of us!
    2011 Meteor Grey 6MT Revo Stage 1

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brrr View Post
    There's at least 3 of us!
    Define "spare" time. I kinda get paid to do it

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NWS4Guy View Post
    Define "spare" time. I kinda get paid to do it
    Ok, poor wording on my part ;-)
    I played around with it a bit more yesterday, and spoke to the Audi Connect helpdesk. They had me reset the system (menu, trackwheel button, and upper right button all together). Didn't really do anything major, although now some sites DO come up - reddit.com works, but google.com doesn't. This is definitely related to the DNS settings - and when I try to connect to the access point (by hitting the router IP via http), it doesn't come up.

I will continue to play with it, and update this thread if I find anything out. Thank you everyone for your help !

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I played around with it a bit more yesterday, and spoke to the Audi Connect helpdesk. They had me reset the system (menu, trackwheel button, and upper right button all together). Didn't really do anything major, although now some sites DO come up - reddit.com works, but google.com doesn't. This is definitely related to the DNS settings - and when I try to connect to the access point (by hitting the router IP via http), it doesn't come up.

I will continue to play with it, and update this thread if I find anything out. Thank you everyone for your help !
    Well the only important site comes up so you're good ;)
    2012 S4 - Monsoon Gray Ti S-tronic - AWE Exhaust, resonated

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Some routers use .100 for the management IP I have seen, and retain the .1 for the default gateway.