So I finally completed the leak down test! All 6 cylinders are perfect with no leaks at all. Unless I performed the test wrong? Set each piston at TDC, turn regulator to about 100 psi and leak gauge at 0 and wait for leak gauge needle to move right? This was done on a hot engine. Towards the end of the test the engine was just warm I assume. I also did a compression check and I got 190+ on all 6 cylinders.
The reason for the tests? I'm losing oil! I have to add about 1 quart a month. Depends on how much I drive of course.
Bringing you guys up to speed...
1. The motor was over heated...bad! Burning oil and coolant!
2. So the motor came out and the heads were removed and completely rebuilt. Bottom end never touched.
3. new turbos are on (I removed the DP to check for oil in the hot side and it's bone dry)
4. No leaks from new valve covers or cam seals
5. no oil drips on the floor
6. I do see some white smoke from the tail pipes when I start the car. After it warms up, no more smoke (no cat)
7. I can see the 3 pistons in bank 1 are wet and black. Looks oily.
8. Most important, the car makes no power! When WOT it feels like I'm gradually giving it gas.
9. I've tried different tunes. Same thing so it's not a tune issue.
10. The car doesnt not make boost all the time. 90% of the time it makes boost just fine. When it does, it makes 23psi and holds it (so no boost leak there). Sometimes It wont make more than 10psi. Hmmmm?
Sounds like a leak in bank 1 cylinders right? Why can I still 190psi on a compressions test and no leaks detected during a leak down test?
Scotty: Good luck with the TDI projects! Can't wait to see the finish product.