Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Removing the rear muffler - Pros and Cons

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am considering removing the rear muffler on my 2009 A4. From the research I have done, it is an inexpensive mod that really improves the sound of the exhaust. Are there any other Pros to doing thismod other than the sportier sound? Any improvement in performance?

As for the cons, what are they? Will I have any issues when I have my car serviced by Audi?

Lastly, is this something that a Midas or Meineke can do relatively easily or do I need to bring it to somewhere else?

Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings TCHUN003's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Pros: sound, but no impact on performance. You need a testpipe or HFC for that.

Cons: it's not free, you have to pay about $50 lol

Take it to an independent muffler shop, like I said, it shouldn't be more than $50. It won't affect your warranty at all.
    Thomas
    B8 Avant/REVO/Eurocode/CxRacing/DMH/Enkei/ST/Hotchkiz

Senior Member Three Rings ryank382's Avatar
    AZ Member #

con-might cause a bad unrefined raspy exhaust note that u dont like and then u will have to pay to have it put back in.

make sure u hear it before u do it because u might regret it
    2012 A4 2.0T Quattro: Brilliant black on black, 6MT P+ w/Nav
    flickr
    F14s for sale

Veteran Member Four Rings Calbee's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

i dont find the raspy noise necessarily bad. anything is better than the stock exhaust which sounds like complete ass.

even aftermarket, there has yet to be one that i actually liked straight out of the box
    Modifications: Parents ran out of money so they bought me tires that were way too small for my wheels.

PART-OUT THREAD: CLICK HERE

http://instagram.com/crisostomoz : most up to date upgrades to the car, as well as random things.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
    con-might cause a bad unrefined raspy exhaust note that u dont like and then u will have to pay to have it put back in.

make sure u hear it before u do it because u might regret it
    It's not raspy at all...I, along with a few other members have tried it, and it sounded great.
    Thomas

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TCHUN003 View Post
    It's not raspy at all...I, along with a few other members have tried it, and it sounded great.

Thanks. Is the best way to do this to just cut out the muffler and add a Y pipe going to the single-side dual exhaust? I believe it is 2.5" pipe?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 34dean View Post
    Thanks. Is the best way to do this to just cut out the muffler and add a Y pipe going to the single-side dual exhaust? I believe it is 2.5" pipe?
    well, if you are removing the last muffler they would just cut the muffler off, and replace it with just a normal straight through pipe.
    Thomas

AZ Member #

well, if you are removing the last muffler they would just cut the muffler off, and replace it with just a normal straight through pipe.
    I want to keep the dual exhaust pipes though so I assume a Y pipe at the end would work fine?

I am also interested in doing this temporarily. Are there any videos available with just the muffler delete to get a feel for how it sounds? Thanks.

Senior Member Four Rings Liquid Smoke's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^ search for muffler delete and you'll see threads with videos. i looked em up the other day and planning on doing this soon, gives it a nice deeper sound
    2009 A4 2.0T Prem+ / Matte Volcano Red (Dip) [thread] /
    19" S4 Peelers / Solo-Werks Coilovers / Red Black Interior [thread]

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

I want to keep the dual exhaust pipes though so I assume a Y pipe at the end would work fine?
    Do you have an avant or a v6? All they would do is cut the mufflers off, cut the tips off, then weld the tips onto the rest of the piping.

If it's a 2.0T, it'll sound like this...kind've hard to separate the sound of the dyno vs the exhaust, but headphones will help
    Thomas

AZ Member #

^^^I'm guessing that's the stock exhaust with just a muffler delete, correct?

Sounds as if its very restrictive up front, and then by the time the air passes the OEM CAT, resonator, etc... there is minimal flow and that is why you don't really hear a grunt IMO.
    2010 PB A5 Quattro | 2.0 TFSI Stronic | REVO Stage II | EC FMIC/HFC/AK | Custom Cat-Back | 19x9.5 Nurburgrings MGM | APR Intake | AWE Gauge Kit | ST Coils | RS6 Wheel | RS5 Pedals | Stronic Knob | Custom Sline mats | HOEN | Rieger | Tints | SPC | HID & USP LEDs | Custom Sline Valance

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Wah View Post
    ^^^I'm guessing that's the stock exhaust with just a muffler delete, correct?

Sounds as if its very restrictive up front, and then by the time the air passes the OEM CAT, resonator, etc... there is minimal flow and that is why you don't really hear a grunt IMO.
    Yup, that's when I had my CAT and stock exhaust with just the mufflers removed
    Thomas

AZ Member #

I too cannot find a video of someone that has had ONLY THE REAR/LAST muffler removed, using stock exhaust on their B8. This is what I want to hear to know if I want to do this mod. If anyone can help with this it would be appreciated. I have searched Google, YouTube etc.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

I too cannot find a video of someone that has had ONLY THE REAR/LAST muffler removed, using stock exhaust on their B8. This is what I want to hear to know if I want to do this mod. If anyone can help with this it would be appreciated. I have searched Google, YouTube etc.
    My video that I posted above is the stock exhaust with ONLY THE REAR/LAST mufflers removed. It looks aftermarket because I bought tips and had them welded on there.
    Thomas

AZ Member #

I would like to hear a stage 2 ( TestPipe ) with rear muffler removed. Along with everyone else most likely!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by BOONEAUDI View Post
    I would like to hear a stage 2 ( TestPipe ) with rear muffler removed. Along with everyone else most likely!
    That's what I have now, I'll try to make a video next week
    Thomas

AZ Member #

That's what I have now, I'll try to make a video next week
    You currently have a TP/HFC to stock DP with resonator, to mid OEM resonator then finally straight pipes? If so I would be interested to hear your setup as well.
    2010 PB A5 Quattro | 2.0 TFSI Stronic | REVO Stage II | EC FMIC/HFC/AK | Custom Cat-Back | 19x9.5 Nurburgrings MGM | APR Intake | AWE Gauge Kit | ST Coils | RS6 Wheel | RS5 Pedals | Stronic Knob | Custom Sline mats | HOEN | Rieger | Tints | SPC | HID & USP LEDs | Custom Sline Valance

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Wah View Post
    You currently have a TP/HFC to stock DP with resonator, to mid OEM resonator then finally straight pipes? If so I would be interested to hear your setup as well.
    It's actually a TP>stock 2.5inch downpipe>electronic cutout (sounds weird when it's open lol)>glasspack>oem mid resonator> straipt pipes. I wish I was able to keep the stock resonator on the downpipe, but I had to replace it with a glasspack to get the e-cutout to fit. I'll make a video of a startup with the cutout open/closed, rev open/closed, slow driveby open/closed, WOT open/closed.
    Thomas

AZ Member #

Sweet, are you just going to make a new thread for this?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by BOONEAUDI View Post
    Sweet, are you just going to make a new thread for this?
    Not sure, probably just put it here
    Thomas

AZ Member #

My video that I posted above is the stock exhaust with ONLY THE REAR/LAST mufflers removed. It looks aftermarket because I bought tips and had them welded on there.

I have a B8 A4 2.0T. Is your Avant a 2.0 or 3.2? I am looking to hear what my car will sound like with only the rear muffler out and a straight to Y pipe to my exhaust pipes.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

avants only came in 2.0T's, I asked because 2.0T sedans only come with single outlet exhaust, but you said you had a y pipe on your stock exhaust so I was confused. Can you take a pic of your exhaust so I can see what you're referring to? The video of my car on the dyno IS of my stock exhaust with only my rear mufflers removed.
    Thomas

AZ Member #

avants only came in 2.0T's, I asked because 2.0T sedans only come with single outlet exhaust, but you said you had a y pipe on your stock exhaust so I was confused. Can you take a pic of your exhaust so I can see what you're referring to? The video of my car on the dyno IS of my stock exhaust with only my rear mufflers removed.

Thanks for the clarification. My A4 only has the single outlet exhaust. I want to keep both end pipes so I assumed I would need a Y connector to go into those instead of having one straight pipe out. Is that correct?

Also, any chance of hearing your car standing still at start up and then revving? It's gard to hear over your tires spinning.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

I see what you are saying now, you have a single outlet with dual tips. Just tell the exhaust shop that you want to remove the rear muffler and keep the tips. They will easily be able to weld the same tips back onto your exhaust. Your car will sound like mine did on that dyno. It will sound nice and aggressive, but by no means loud. Also you won't have to worry about drone.
    Thomas

AZ Member #

tchun033, would u do this if u already had a test pipe. I would think it would be a lot louder, possibly annoying.. What do you think?

AZ Member #

I see what you are saying now, you have a single outlet with dual tips. Just tell the exhaust shop that you want to remove the rear muffler and keep the tips. They will easily be able to weld the same tips back onto your exhaust. Your car will sound like mine did on that dyno. It will sound nice and aggressive, but by no means loud. Also you won't have to worry about drone.

Excellent. Thanks for all of your help.

Veteran Member Four Rings iconoclast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I am considering removing the rear muffler on my 2009 A4. From the research I have done, it is an inexpensive mod that really improves the sound of the exhaust. Are there any other Pros to doing thismod other than the sportier sound? Any improvement in performance?

As for the cons, what are they? Will I have any issues when I have my car serviced by Audi?

Lastly, is this something that a Midas or Meineke can do relatively easily or do I need to bring it to somewhere else?
    no performance gains, the drone in the cabin will be loud and annoying, your exhaust note will sound horrible, your car will sound broken or as if it has an exhaust leak. long story short if you're not doing it properly dont touch it at all.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
    no performance gains, the drone in the cabin will be loud and annoying, your exhaust note will sound horrible, your car will sound broken or as if it has an exhaust leak. long story short if you're not doing it properly dont touch it at all.
    I'm assuming that you have not tried this on your B8. Definitely no performance gains, I'm sure he is doing this only for exhaust tone. In fact, an exhaust is a waste of money since you would spend over $1k and get zero performance gains...It's all for sound/appearance(unless you go BAT). Now if you are talking about getting a testpipe or HFC, it's a different story.

Drone would be present if you removed the resonator (the one closest to your engine) and replaced it with a straight pipe. This would cause drone because of all of the exhaust gasses bouncing off of the piping and resonating to the shield and then to the cabin, but he is going to remove his rear muffler.

Every exhaust system is different and I can't speak for every car, but I can speak for the B82.0T. Example, removing the rear mufflers on my B6's aftermarket exhaust that I spent $1200 on caused drone. I have experience with the b8 platform because I've tried exactly what he was talking about before. It's crazy that this car has so many resonators and mufflers. My avant had 2 rear mufflers, 2 resonators, and a CAT :/..it was like driving a Prius without the mpg's.

Your car will not sound like it has an exhaust leak unless it has an exhaust leak.

It all depends on what your definition of proper is. Spend over $1k on a unit that changes sound, but provides no power gains
    or
    spend $50 on getting your muffler removed with similar effect

Personally I would rather spend the money on wheels/software/suspension, but that's just me
    Thomas

AZ Member #

I'm assuming that you have not tried this on your B8. Definitely no performance gains, I'm sure he is doing this only for exhaust tone. In fact, an exhaust is a waste of money since you would spend over $1k and get zero performance gains...It's all for sound/appearance(unless you go BAT). Now if you are talking about getting a testpipe or HFC, it's a different story.

Drone would be present if you removed the resonator (the one closest to your engine) and replaced it with a straight pipe. This would cause drone because of all of the exhaust gasses bouncing off of the piping and resonating to the shield and then to the cabin, but he is going to remove his rear muffler.

Every exhaust system is different and I can't speak for every car, but I can speak for the B82.0T. Example, removing the rear mufflers on my B6's aftermarket exhaust that I spent $1200 on caused drone. I have experience with the b8 platform because I've tried exactly what he was talking about before. It's crazy that this car has so many resonators and mufflers. My avant had 2 rear mufflers, 2 resonators, and a CAT :/..it was like driving a Prius without the mpg's.

Your car will not sound like it has an exhaust leak unless it has an exhaust leak.

It all depends on what your definition of proper is. Spend over $1k on a unit that changes sound, but provides no power gains
    or
    spend $50 on getting your muffler removed with similar effect

Personally I would rather spend the money on wheels/software/suspension, but that's just me

Spot on my friend and exactly my thinking. I am looking for a little growl and a sportier sound. Why spend $1,000 when I can get the same sound for $50 in 10 minutes.

Established Member Two Rings bennydub's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Ibis White Audi A4

Quote Originally Posted by Calbee View Post
    i dont find the raspy noise necessarily bad. anything is better than the stock exhaust which sounds like complete ass.

even aftermarket, there has yet to be one that i actually liked straight out of the box
    You dont like mine? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Mods:
    APR Stage 1 93 Oct Mode, CTS Turbo FMIC kit (won in contest ), Awe quad tip exhaust w/ res. downpipe, Alu Kreuz DTS Bar, Hotchkis f+r sway bars, KW V2 coilovers, BC Forged rims, OSIR rear valence, PODI gauge+pod, Blackvue dash cam, Escort Passport 9500ix, Rhoplate plate relocator,

Past Cars:
    1992 Acura Integra, 1992 Dark Blue 380 AWHP Nissan Skyline GT-R, 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S, 2000 Phoenix Yellow JDM front end Integra Type R, 1991 Nissan 240sx, 1993 civic si

AZ Member #

It's actually a TP>stock 2.5inch downpipe>electronic cutout (sounds weird when it's open lol)>glasspack>oem mid resonator> straipt pipes.
    Do you experience drone? I have quite a similar set up but with a HFC, rear mufflers, and no cutout or glasspack. Sounds great under WOT but the mid resonator makes things quite restrictive under normal cruising. I am planning on changing that to straight pipes and putting back the little DP resonator, the one closes to the engine.

Don't forget the video

AZ Member #

Anyone else have a video to share?

AZ Member #

Hard to believe but... after searching for a long time, there doesn't seem to be one video of a B8 A4 with stock exhuast and rear muffler taken out. Frustrating. :(

Established Member Two Rings KlRBY's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You won't pass inspection in my state without one.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Hard to believe but... after searching for a long time, there doesn't seem to be one video of a B8 A4 with stock exhuast and rear muffler taken out. Frustrating. :(
    Hey I told you, that video of me on the dyno is with a STOCK exhaust, with the rear mufflers removed.

NOW I more parts have been modified, but there IS a video of a B8 A4 with stock exhaust and rear mufflers taken out. Just FYI

I think you are confused and are assuming that my exhaust IS NOT stock because I have exhaust tips welded on...that does nothing to sound or performance. Tips are just tips.
    Thomas

AZ Member #

Hey I told you, that video of me on the dyno is with a STOCK exhaust, with the rear mufflers removed.

NOW I more parts have been modified, but there IS a video of a B8 A4 with stock exhaust and rear mufflers taken out. Just FYI

I think you are confused and are assuming that my exhaust IS NOT stock because I have exhaust tips welded on...that does nothing to sound or performance. Tips are just tips.

I understand and appreciate your posts. The problem is that you really can't hear over your wheels spinning at a high rate of speed. Can you post a vid of the vehicle standing still and just rev so we can hear that?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

I understand and appreciate your posts. The problem is that you really can't hear over your wheels spinning at a high rate of speed. Can you post a vid of the vehicle standing still and just rev so we can hear that?
    Shoot, I'm actually going to make a video today or tomorrow, but the problem is that my exhaust has more than removed rear mufflers now.
    Thomas

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Actually, I think I might have something, let me dig it up
    Thomas

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant
    Items for Sale

Sounded a lot better in person...not too loud, but not like our Prius exhaust system either

Thomas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast