Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Four Rings joeya103's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98.5 A4 1.8T Tip FWD

Common problems with the TT?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My brother is looking into getting a TT, and I'm trying to do some research for him.

What are the differences in the different years? Is one year particularly bad/problematic? Does some major problem get fixed by a certain year?

What are the common problems? From what I gather, 1) timing belt at 80K (or 60 to be sure); 2) control arms; 3) MAFs.

Anything else? Any recalls?

Thanks in advance guys.

Registered Member Four Rings joeya103's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98.5 A4 1.8T Tip FWD

wow not a single person. thx anyway

Account Terminated Four Rings Neo1130's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4, Audi TT

Well, you have the timing belt in the earlier TT's, the black top coolant temp sensor, diverter valve and that's about all I know...

Registered Member Three Rings Hutash's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 TT 225 coupe

Right, you listed the few problems already. Mine has been totally trouble free

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 TT

My parents... totally stock and well cared for TT... has had just a few things actually go wrong but they are mostly wear and tear items.

MAF failed at around 50K
    N75 failed at around 52K

On my car... a bit modded and abused... I've broken some stuff a few times. Here are the things unrelated to the mods.

Turn signal flasher switch... on lucky #3
    Door lock module just kinda died

Other than that, its been a great car. I don't want to knock it for anything that breaks as a result of mods or actions taken to "test" the afore mentioned mods.

There was a recall on early TTs that included new suspension and installation of esp and the rear spoiler.

There was a recall on coilpacks due to a very high failure rate.

There are also some service bulletins out on things like the radio, coolant temp sensor, MAF, Throttle body, etc.... nothing crazy though.

Active Member Two Rings TheMuska00TT's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 Audi TT

problems

I have a 2000 TT and i have not had any problems and shes at almost 70,000 miles

Thanks
    Matt

Registered Member Three Rings Thomas@TAI-VW's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8S4 Chariot of the CLODS

I have intermittent brake ABS warning light coming on (ABS controller going out) and at 49K rebuilt front suspension with new ball joints,CV joint,tie rods,etc.,,,,,,,nothing that doesn't brake on VW's as well.The TT is a SOLID car,much better build quality than VW models for sure.I LOVE MY TT!!!! I will keep it for atleast 10-15 years.I have a 400hp Corrado16Vturbo,and have owned that for 13 years! The only car that came close/excelled to a Corrado is the TT!! I love my 2 door coupes.
    2012 S4,6MT. Steering wheel/4 rims & tires/seatbelts/windshield wipers/41 psi in front tires/40 psi in back tires/CD player/AC/sunroof/oil level=full/coolant=full/no CEL/glovebox/no car payments/dusty brakes/lowbeam/high beam/turn signals/small nick in the bumper from a stone about 1/16" in dia. about 4 " below the headlight/gas in tank/clutch-brake-gas pedals.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 TT

Originally posted by Thomas@TAI-VW
    I have intermittent brake ABS warning light coming on (ABS controller going out) and at 49K rebuilt front suspension with new ball joints,CV joint,tie rods,etc.,,,,,,,nothing that doesn't brake on VW's as well.The TT is a SOLID car,much better build quality than VW models for sure.I LOVE MY TT!!!! I will keep it for atleast 10-15 years.I have a 400hp Corrado16Vturbo,and have owned that for 13 years! The only car that came close/excelled to a Corrado is the TT!! I love my 2 door coupes.
    TTs and Corrados are both cars that their owners fall in love with.

They'll get my TT when the pry my cold dead arse out of the seat.

Registered Member Two Rings piTTsburgher's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 TTQC180

parking lights and o2 sensors. i replace parking lights so frequently i must leave them on constantly.

Registered Member Three Rings Hutash's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 TT 225 coupe

Originally posted by piTTsburgher
    parking lights and o2 sensors. i replace parking lights so frequently i must leave them on constantly.
    Is that so you can find your car in the Walmart parking lot?

Senior Member Three Rings midn12ght's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i had the freaky window issue and a bad maf. oh yeah and once i changed my filter to a drop in and the plugs to iridiums, i started blowing coils...keep a spare...always.
    You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling...
    FS: B6 stuff http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...15#post3306615