Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

Is synthetic oil darker than convential oil?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Allegedly, I just had my 45K maintenance (last of the AudiCare) performed by the dealership on Sat. I checked my oil yesterday, several days later, after only driving a couple hundred miles and it is dark.

Is this normal? I Googled it and obtained conflicting results. Thanks.
    2007 A4 3.2L quattro in Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect with beige interior; RS4 rear sway bar; basic VAGCOM mods; tan WeatherTech floor liners.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX12R

You can not go by oil color. People keep saying things about color. The only way to know if the oil is still functioning, is to have it analyzed.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '08 A4 Avant SE, '99 4Runner

I had the same question after my initial 5k oil change. 100 miles later it looked so dark compared to my 4Runner with 100k miles that looked like honey after 3000 miles. Even went back to the dealer and discussed. They were cool and gave me a quart of castrol to compare. The castrol oil is definitely darker to begin with than the Mobil 1 synthetic I use in my 4runner. A drop of each on a clean paper towel confirmed this for me.

I'm satisfied, but always feel better when I am doing my own oil changes in between the 10k intervals recommended.

Senior Member Four Rings CorneliusRox's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003CBR600rr, 1997 12VCummins4X4

This is very common with turboed engines. When you stop the car and the turbo is still hot, it burns the oil sitting in it (why you can buy units to keep your car running for 5min after you get out so it cools oil). Anyways, this makes a ton of black junk in there, and so a normal oil change will not get all of that out. If you want, you can do two oil changes back to back (maybe 10miles in between), and your oil might look nicer. That is why diesels usually have a high oil capacity (along with higher CR's and more blow by).

All that being said... I wouldnt worry about it. You can go get analysis' done and look at the oil that way, but color alone wont tell you much about the oil. Also, synthetic vs dino, has very little to do with this.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]Corey - BSME

08 A4 6MT, Quattro, VAST Stg1, JOM C/O's, 034 RSB, BFI Snub - 24.75" FTG, 255/35-18 V12's

------------------> Buy my wheels/tires/spacers/bolts! <------------------

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

Thanks for the advice! Now all I need to address is why I have oil spots in my garage after my dealership oil change.
    2007 A4 3.2L quattro in Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect with beige interior; RS4 rear sway bar; basic VAGCOM mods; tan WeatherTech floor liners.

Senior Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Double check the oil drain plug is snug and that it has a new copper washer. This is common at Jiffy Lube places. They're always in a rush and are total morons and end up spilling oil on the engine, which eventually drips down. A dealer I would expect not to do this though but who knows.
    -CP
    USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - 034 Rear Swaybar (Soft Setting) and Endlinks - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

AZ Member #
    My Garage

They didnt tighten the oil filter holder enough. Make them do it with a digital torque wrench!

08 A4 6MT, Quattro, VAST Stg1, JOM C/O's, 034 RSB, BFI Snub - 24.75" FTG, 255/35-18 V12's

Senior Member Four Rings rongeur's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

OR they overtightened and cracked the oil filter canister as it is plastic.
    2008 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT S-Line QGM
    Engine: APR 2+ | APR HPFP | 034 TIP | CTS FMIC | JHM TP | Stasis Exhaust w/ 1/4y branch delete | GFB DV+ | AudiUP Snub | 034 Mounts | JHM SS
    Suspension: ST Coilovers | 034 UCAs | 034 RSB | 034 Rear Sway Endlinks
    Lighting: OEM Bi-Xenons w/ ZKW-R Clear Lens swap | Clear Corner | Custom HID Projector Fogs 3000K | Red Interior LEDs
    Aesthetic: S-Line Filler | Clear markers |Alu-matte mirror housings | VEI Boost Gauge | 35% Tint | De-badged | VMR 701s

Senior Member Four Rings Jay-Bee's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My drain nipple on the filter housing leaks a little, the cap was loose and dripping down till i tightened it.
    -Jon

2005 VW Passat Variant 1.8T 4Motion 5M/T

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rongeur View Post
    OR they overtightened and cracked the oil filter canister as it is plastic.
    yeah, or this. lol